𝐖𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐲 𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐅𝐚𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝

RTV

2 hours ago, RTV said:

"Fancy" was suggested for Wendy on another thread. I thought of this emotional song and wondered if it would be a good Reba McEntire choice for Wendy.

Wow, this song is so beautiful. Wendy would execute the little vocal subtleties so perfectly. 😍

7 hours ago, RTV said:

"Fancy" was suggested for Wendy on another thread. I thought of this emotional song and wondered if it would be a good Reba McEntire choice for Wendy.

this is actually one of my favorite Reba songs, so i’d love to see Wendy cover this song😍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KimberlyxKyla said:

this is actually one of my favorite Reba songs, so i’d love to see Wendy cover this song😍

In case someone doesn't know the sad story behind this song:

At about 1:45 a.m. on 03/16/91, a Hawker Siddeley charter jet's left wing hit Otay Mountain east of San Diego a few minutes after takeoff. The crash killed the two pilots (Donald Holmes and co-pilot Christopher Hollinger) and everyone on board. Eight of Reba's band members perished: tour manager Jim Hammon, music director/keyboardist Kirk Cappello, keyboardist Joey Cigainero, drummer Tony Saputo, guitarist Michael Thomas, guitarist/fiddler/singer Chris Austin, bassist Terry Jackson, and backup singer Paula Kaye Evans. A second plane carrying saxophonist Joe McGlohon and steel guitarist Pete Finney took off three minutes later. The pilot of the second plane lost radio contact with the first plane but was unaware of the tragedy until he was diverted to Nashville. Reba was recovering from bronchitis. She, then-husband Narvel Blackstock, and stylist Sandy Spika planned to join the others in Fort Wayne, Indiana, the following day. Narvel was woken around 2 a.m. by a call from their private pilot, Roger Woolsey, who saw "this huge ball of fire" in the rearview mirror while driving back to the hotel from the Brown Field airport. A phone call confirmed a plane crashed. Roger asked Narvel to come to his room and await further details. They informed Reba after receiving confirmation that the ill-fated plane was one of the two the band had leased. They flew to Nashville the next day. Reba canceled all gigs but then decided to sing at the 63rd Academy Awards ceremony on March 25 as originally scheduled. Dolly Parton graciously let her bandleader, Gary Smith, pull together a group of replacement musicians for the performance. "For My Broken Heart" was the first song recorded after the tragic loss. The title track was released on 09/30/91 and became a number one Billboard country single. Reba's 18th studio album was dedicated to the deceased members of her road band and released on 10/01/91 as "a form of healing for all our broken hearts." Neither surviving band member played on For My Broken Heart, which was the first album by a female country artist to be certified 2x platinum by the RIAA.

Although I think Wendy could come up with a beautiful rendition of the song, Reba isn't the first country singer I'd want Wendy to cover on The Voice. Having said that, I'd also like to hear Wendy sing "Can't Even Get the Blues" one day. In 1983, it became Reba's first number one hit.

Edited by RTV
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, RTV said:

In case someone doesn't know the sad story behind this song:

At about 1:45 a.m. on 03/16/91, a Hawker Siddeley charter jet's left wing hit Otay Mountain east of San Diego a few minutes after takeoff. The crash killed the two pilots (Donald Holmes and co-pilot Christopher Hollinger) and everyone on board. Eight of Reba's band members perished: tour manager Jim Hammon, music director/keyboardist Kirk Cappello, keyboardist Joey Cigainero, drummer Tony Saputo, guitarist Michael Thomas, guitarist/fiddler/singer Chris Austin, bassist Terry Jackson, and backup singer Paula Kaye Evans. A second plane carrying saxophonist Joe McGlohon and steel guitarist Pete Finney took off three minutes later. The pilot of the second plane lost radio contact with the first plane but was unaware of the tragedy until he was diverted to Nashville. Reba was recovering from bronchitis. She, then-husband Narvel Blackstock, and stylist Sandy Spika planned to join the others in Fort Wayne, Indiana, the following day. Narvel was woken around 2 a.m. by a call from their private pilot, Roger Woolsey, who saw "this huge ball of fire" in the rearview mirror while driving back to the hotel from the Brown Field airport. A phone call confirmed a plane crashed. Roger asked Narvel to come to his room and await further details. They informed Reba after receiving confirmation that the ill-fated plane was one of the two the band had leased. They flew to Nashville the next day. Reba canceled all gigs but then decided to sing at the 63rd Academy Awards ceremony on March 25 as originally scheduled. Dolly Parton graciously let her bandleader, Gary Smith, pull together a group of replacement musicians for the performance. "For My Broken Heart" was the first song recorded after the tragic loss. The title track was released on 09/30/91 and became a number one Billboard country single. Reba's 18th studio album was dedicated to the deceased members of her road band and released on 10/01/91 as "a form of healing for all our broken hearts." Neither surviving band member played on For My Broken Heart, which was the first album by a female country artist to be certified 2x platinum by the RIAA.

Although I think Wendy could come up with a beautiful rendition of the song, Reba isn't the first country singer I'd want Wendy to cover on The Voice. Having said that, I'd also like to hear Wendy sing "Can't Even Get the Blues" one day. In 1983, it became Reba's first number one hit.

Wow, I knew the song was a sad one, but I had no idea the story behind it was this tragic. 😭

I'll add that second Reba suggestion now. 🙂 

7 hours ago, RTV said:

I like all three, but two surprised me. I thought Wendy, Peedy, and LiBianca might comprise his Top 3. Blake had a strong Top 5 this season.

You really couldn't go wrong with Blake's Top 3 this season. Every member of his live show team had something going for them. 

4 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

You really couldn't go wrong with Blake's Top 3 this season. Every member of his live show team had something going for them. 

I agree, and there were also several from his 12 after blinds that I would have enjoyed hearing more from. I've had Wendy on top of Team Blake from the start, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Ah yes, I think I remember watching her performance of the George Jones song from this. ✨

Wendy covers a few genres in this set, and the "biggest influence" nod (Aretha Franklin) at the end is good. David always does a great job accompanying her.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RTV said:

Wendy covers a few genres in this set, and the "biggest influence" nod (Aretha Franklin) at the end is good. David always does a great job accompanying her.

Oml, I just listened - her cover of “Baby I Love You” is insane! 😳

• Like 1