SYTYCD Routines Mini-Rankdown (NL5) (Round 5)

.Rei

Posted (edited)

US9 RESULTS PART ONE

20. Top 10 Guys - "Precognition" - (Jazz by Sonya Tayeh)

8l8w3i.gif

Watch Here

RANKINGS:

@FrogLenzen - 9

@.Rei - 10

@taylorkat - 11

@totes4totes - 15

@Zoey - 16

@*Wallace - 18

@kritaaay - 19

@Erestor - 20

Avg. Score = 14.75

COMMENTS

Derek

SOOOO GOOOOODDD ahhhhh very glad this made it to the end. This was kind of the Matthew show for a lot of it and that’s quite alright with me, he’s incredible at this style. Very sad that his jazz with Audrey didn’t make it, that’s one of my favorite jazzes ever on the show. Sonya just knows how to make group pieces like this work. 

Rei

I've always loved this. It is messy at some points but brilliant in others. George, Matthew and Sonya slayed hard!

Megan

I think that it is time we switch up the girls and the guys routines. The girls should get the cool masculine dance routines and the boys should get the soft femme routines. This is ranked above the girls because Sonya Tayeh is a better more interesting choreographer. I think it's danced worse though.

Wallace

Well I guess it's interesting how the Top 10 Guys and Top 10 Girls routine made it to the end together. Curious which one will do better. This is a cool, intense and powerful routine. There is no particular standout(s). All of the guys dance and perform well here. 

19. Cyrus "Glitch" Spencer & tWitch Boss - "Like A Criminal" - (Animation by Christopher Scott)

8l8w6o.gif

Watch Here

RANKINGS:

Kriti - 8

Wallace - 11

Gigi - 14

Patryk  - 14

Megan - 14

Rei - 15

Zoey - 17

Derek - 20

Avg. Score = 14.13

COMMENTS

Wallace

This Animation routine is another great dance that was suited and tailored made for Cyrus. But I feel like with Cyrus having that Dubstep with Comfort the previous week, this one felt like a bit of a rehash that doesn't quite stand out or impress me as much? But it's still a great and fun routine! And I do think this routine deserves a spot in this Top 20. Cyrus does well with how he dances the routine and he matches so well with tWitch. Again, it's so hard to match u well with tWitch but Cyrus did that well. I loved how slick and precise their movements were with each other.

Megan

I feel like this doesn't hit as hard as it should. I think that's partially because Christopher Scott doesn't really choreograph animation and Twitch, while wildly talented, also isn't an animator (neither is Glitch really but that's a WHOLE DIFFERENT conversation amongst the popping community). After breaking the glass, it felt like this routine that should have been big and explosive, something appropriate for a finale, was just too restrained. I think that's also just down to how Glitch dances on this show as well. I think the finale dance he has with Twitch, Comfort, and Christopher Scott himself is a much better finale routine than this one. I think even his Top 6 with Comfort was a better showcase for him.

Rei

I have never been a super fan of this despite

Derek

This was better in concept than execution. They were out of sync too much for me to fully get into it. And they kept slipping on the broken glass. And I didn’t understand the storyline with them fighting at the end. Idk. 

(tie) 17-18.  Lindsay Arnold, Nick Blossom-Carter & Witney Carson - "Dance Again" - (Cha-Cha by Jason Gilkison)

8l8w8s.gif

Watch Here

RANKINGS:

Wallace - 5

Zoey - 7

Rei - 14

Kriti - 14

Gigi - 16

Patryk  - 18

Megan - 19

Derek - 19

Avg. Score = 14.00

COMMENTS

Wallace

This game did Witney & Lindsay so dirty. 😐 I expected it with Lindsay but really thought Witney would have fared better here than just having 2 routines here. :wacko: This routine is clearly and obviously all about Lindsay & Witney. Both are so fierce, on fire, slay this and so on their element! :wub: I love all of the partnering they do either as a trio or with just as a duo. I love all of the tricks they do throughout the dance. All of the side by side dancing is great too. Oh right, there's Nick here too. I forgot all about him, lmao. :giggle: But he does well and partners the ladies well here.  All 3 did a great job here. This is such a hot and fire routine! :bobo:

Rei

despite not having the same level of other ballroom routines with better ballroom dancers, it served its purpose of successfully introducing the ballroom kids from this season

Megan

I am a big Jason Gilkison fan. This is probably the weakest routine I've ever seen from him.

Derek

Jason is a genius as always. His trios are unmatched. This is probably more special by virtue of having Lindsay and Witney together than it is just as a piece alone. I wouldn’t have been upset if it didn’t make the finals here but it’s still great. Can we talk about how Nick BC has the weirdest run on the show lol. Danced 3 FLAWLESS ballroom/latin routines and then left somehow as Jason G’s most hated contestant lololol. Why was he wearing black in this trio??? Make it make sense. 

(tie) 17-18.  Cole Horibe, Brandon Mitchell & Cyrus "Glitch" Spencer - "Resolve" - (Martial Arts/Stepping/Animation by Christopher Scott) 

8l8wag.gif

Watch Here

RANKINGS:

Kriti - 7

Derek - 11

Megan - 11

Wallace - 15

Zoey - 15

Rei - 16

Gigi - 18

Patryk  - 19

Avg. Score = 14.00

COMMENTS

Derek

Very pleasantly surprised to see this in the finals. I get chills literally any time I watch it. I can’t explain why. Some of it is probably goofy if you scrutinize it too hard. But it just has that SYTYCD magic to me. 

Megan

I mean this very seriously. Brandon in this routine is doing Kansas City baseball better than the Kansas City Royals are doing. Because this is fun to watch. The Royals are not. The fake jerseys they are sporting are probably higher quality than the ones current MLB players are forced to wear. This delights me because if you showed me this the only baseball I would have assumed Christopher Scott has ever seen in his life was in anime. I think the best part is the intro bits. I think it isn't nearly as good when it gets down to choreo because it feels more like he's smashing these three guys into a routine for Cole.

Wallace

I don't remember this routine at all, but it's fun. It's funny how this dance compromises of three different dance styles but it showcases and highlights all of the guys well. It's cool how they have their own moments to shine. The baseball theme is fun too.

Rei

it is too messy and not cohesive for me

Edited by .Rei

• .Rei changed the title to SYTYCD Routines Mini-Rankdown (US9) (#20-#17 Posted)
31 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

I think that the trio might be the best ballroom performance with Witney on SYTYCD, believe it or not. And by "best one" I also mean "ONLY good one"

That is what happens when she is paired with my perfect boy Chehon 

I would have preferred Chehon & Anya's actual good tango in this top 20 than the jazz-routine-full-of-tricks-that-people-somehow-call-a-disco from Tiffany

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Dang, "Dance Again" deserved better. :( But not surprised with how this round has been going. :closedeyes: I'm hoping Witney and Lindsay's other dances can do better but I'm not too hopeful.

Also kinda sad "Like a Criminal" didn't do that. That was one of the few dances I liked from Cyrus.