Best/Worst Battle Song Choices???

Noah57678

I think that age differences are only an issue depending on the song and, furthermore, the interpretation of the song. With "...Ready for It?", I viewed it as the two of them singing the song with one another, rather than TO one another. Like they're each singing it about different people. Not to mention the fact that the song isn't explicitly talking about anything sexual. Yes, it may nod to that, but "in my dreams/you should see the things we do" can mean anything. If you're 14, it can just as well mean holding hands on a date as it could mean anything else. Age differences in a battle performance are only important if the song is OBJECTIVELY considered inappropriate for one of the people in the pairing. 

Also, IMO, the first consideration for a battle should be how well the voices of the artists fit together, not the demographics of the artist. From there it's about choosing a song that both can succeed with (and yes, part of that is choosing a song that isn't wildly inappropriate for either artist.)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Noah57678 said:

I think that age differences are only an issue depending on the song and, furthermore, the interpretation of the song. With "...Ready for It?", I viewed it as the two of them singing the song with one another, rather than TO one another. Like they're each singing it about different people. Not to mention the fact that the song isn't explicitly talking about anything sexual. Yes, it may nod to that, but "in my dreams/you should see the things we do" can mean anything. If you're 14, it can just as well mean holding hands on a date as it could mean anything else. Age differences in a battle performance are only important if the song is OBJECTIVELY considered inappropriate for one of the people in the pairing. 

Also, IMO, the first consideration for a battle should be how well the voices of the artists fit together, not the demographics of the artist. From there it's about choosing a song that both can succeed with (and yes, part of that is choosing a song that isn't wildly inappropriate for either artist.)

This ⬆️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

Worst

- JusJon vs Payton "Dancing With A Stranger"

As bad as this was, it didn't surprise me in the slightest. Blake sucks at song choice with anything but country (and even then he has his moments). Whenever he has pop artists (or anything even remotely close that isn't country) It's like he picks a random song off a list of popular pop songs and gives it to them without a second thought. 

Like can we all agree that "One Last Time" is not in Kyla or JessLee's lane and "Good as Hell" is LITERALLY the most basic and unoriginal song choice he could have possibly come up with for Toneisha?

Edited by Noah57678
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Noah57678 said:

Whenever he has pop artists (or anything even remotely close that isn't country) It's like he picks a random song off a list of popular pop songs and gives it to them without a second thought. 

Except Kim vs Kendra

• Like 2

Just now, Noah57678 said:

Like can we all agree that "One Last Time" is not in Kyla or JessLee's lane and "Good as Hell" is LITERALLY the most basic and unoriginal song choice he could have possibly come up with for Toneisha. 

"Good as Hell" wasn't too bad, Toneisha and Jacob did well with that song imo. 😌

I love Kyla and I love "One Last Time" but those two don't mix imo. 🙄

5 minutes ago, Noah57678 said:

Blake sucks at song choice with anything but country (and even then he has his moments). Whenever he has pop artists (or anything even remotely close that isn't country) It's like he picks a random song off a list of popular pop songs and gives it to them without a second thought. 

Blake should stick to country and rock. He's not great with pop and R&B artists imo 😒

As bad as this was, it didn't surprise me in the slightest. Blake sucks at song choice with anything but country (and even then he has his moments). Whenever he has pop artists (or anything even remotely close that isn't country) It's like he picks a random song off a list of popular pop songs and gives it to them without a second thought. 

I have to disagree. We´ve had some great non country Team Blake battles over the years: Biff vs Sissaundra (S6), Kim vs Kendra (S16), Sarah vs Hannah (S8), Ricky vs Marina (S17), Brian vs Joshua (S8), Ray vs Monika (S5), etc. 

"One Last Time" was definitely a bad song choice for the ladies singing it, but the "Good as Hell" battle was actually pretty enjoyable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, disney1024 said:

"Good as Hell" wasn't too bad, Toneisha and Jacob did well with that song imo. 😌

I love Kyla and I love "One Last Time" but those two don't mix imo. 🙄

Oh yeah for sure. Toneisha and Jacob slayed the hell out of that song and Kyla KILLED "One Last Time". But I can't get over how basic not creative "Good as Hell" was and I can only imagine how good Kyla and JessLee would have been with a better song (or maybe different partners...)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Misirlou said:

I have to disagree. We´ve had some great non country Team Blake battles over the years: Biff vs Sissaundra (S6), Kim vs Kendra (S16), Sarah vs Hannah (S8), Ricky vs Marina (S17), Brian vs Joshua (S8), Ray vs Monika (S5), etc. 

"One Last Time" was definitely a bad song choice for the ladies singing it, but the "Good as Hell" battle was actually pretty enjoyable.

I'll be honest, I've only been watching since Season 15 and there are only so many performances of earlier seasons still on Youtube. But Ricky vs Marina, while a good battle, wasn't all that creative in terms of song selection. I just think there is a song out there that could have been that much better for them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, disney1024 said:

Really? Kyla was as great as she could be with a fast-paced song like "One Last Time" but that definitely wasn't one of her best performances 🤨

I just keep going back to what she did in that last chorus of that song. It wasn't her best performance at all but that's not because her battle was bad. It's simply because everything else was just that good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Forgot to add : Joei vs TMH (S18), another great non country battle. 

Yeah that's true but the point that was made earlier about Blake being good with country and rock applies here. This was one of my fav battles of S18 and it was rock (and Joei is really more country-rock, at that).

• Like 1

I just keep going back to what she did in that last chorus of that song. It wasn't her best performance at all but that's not because her battle was bad. It's simply because everything else was just that good.

Her battle wasn't bad. For me, it was meh 😕

Edited by disney1024

Her battle wasn't bad. For me, it was meh 😕

I honestly loved it. As much as I wouldn't have chosen that song, it shows her versatility. She wiped the floor with JessLee and didn't even break a sweat.

On the other hand, I feel bad for JessLee because I would have loved to see her on a song that was even remotely her style.

• Like 1

That's why I said that Blake should only stick to country and rock. Neither Joei nor Todd were pop artists. 😉

Either way, artists of any genre are more secure on Blake´s team. I always say, if you have a favorite, you´d want him/her to be with Blake since he´s got the voting advantage. Not to mention that as clueless as he paints himself, the guy is smart, he knows what he´s doing. He doesn´t take that much risks like the others, and thus ensures the safety of his contestants. His steals are probably the best out of any coach as well, because he tends to wait for them ( Cedrice, Kendra in the CB, Oliv, etc)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Either way, artists of any genre are more secure on Blake´s team. I always say, if you have a favorite, you´d want him/her to be with Blake since he´s got the voting advantage. Not to mention that as clueless as he paints himself, the guy is smart, he knows what he´s doing. He doesn´t take that much risks like the others, and thus ensures the safety of his contestants. His steals are probably the best out of any coach as well, because he tends to wait for them ( Cedrice, Kendra in the CB, Oliv, etc)

That's fair. I don't mean to discredit him as a coach. his song selections leave something to be desired and I will argue that to my grave. But that being said, he knows how to play the game. Picking Cali over Gracee in S17 and what he said to Gracee after her IS performance shows his strategic thinking. Granted, his strategy didn't work, but had it not been for Hello Sunday's performance, I guarantee it would have. He's a good coach and being on his team does bode well for a contestant in the lives, regardless of the genre. My only real criticism here is song choice outside of his comfortable genres. 

And yeah his steals are unbelievable sometimes. I mean just look at Chloe Kohanski (although I credit that win more to Miley's decisions than Blake's. I still can't get over the fact that Miley Cyrus gave up the winner and runner-up of S13, only to finish 3rd with her finalist).

Edited by Noah57678
  • Like 1

Some of my fav battle song choices that I think worked really well:

Carter Rubin vs Larriah Jackson (Like I’m Gonna Lose You)

Taryn Papa vs WTW (Little White Church)

Payge Turner vs Lauren Frihauf (If The World was Ending)

Roderick vs Joanna Serenko (when the party’s over)

Samantha Howell vs Megan Danielle (Top of The World)

Joei Fulco vs Todd Michael Hall (The Best)

Allegra Miles vs Michael Williams (How Will I Know)

Zach Bridges vs Cory (Should’ve Been a Cowboy)

Presley Tennant vs Rizzi Myers (Whataya Want From Me)

Lisa Ramey vs Betsy Ade (The Joke)

Jej Vinson vs Beth Griffith-Manley (Jealous)

Patrique Fortson vs Colton Smith (God Gave Me You)

Jackie Foster vs DR King (Sign of the Times)

Edited by TheVoiceFan2
  • Like 3

"Hound Dog" worked very well for Lowell and Kimberly in S8. And that battle was pretty equal, so, while dumping Kimberly was a bad move in the long term, I don´t blame Pharrell for choosing Lowell in that particular moment. Sadly he flopped in the following rounds.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

Presley Tennant vs Rizzi Myers (Whataya Want From Me)

I'm still mad about this battle to this day omg. Great song choice but there's no excuse for Rizzi to not be stolen. It makes sense why Kelly paired them; they filled the same spot on her team. And I think Presley was the right decision, but Rizzi should have been stolen. Period. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Noah57678 said:

I'm still mad about this battle to this day omg. Great song choice but there's no excuse for Rizzi to not be stolen. It makes sense why Kelly paired them; they filled the same spot on her team. And I think Presley was the right decision, but Rizzi should have been stolen. Period. 

Do we know if there were any steals left? I agree with you 100% on this, but I don’t really remember the pre taped spoilers we got that season and honestly, had there been no steals left she still should’ve gotten that comeback stage spot either way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

Do we know if there were any steals left? I agree with you 100% on this, but I don’t really remember the pre taped spoilers we got that season and honestly, had there been no steals left she still should’ve gotten that comeback stage spot either way.

According to Wikipedia, every coach had a steal at the time of Rizzi's elimination. 

• Confused 1