Best/Worst Battle Song Choices???

Noah57678

In more recent seasons....

Best:

• Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Karli Webster vs Addison Agen (S13, Team Miley)
  • Use Somebody - Christiana Danielle vs Shana Halligan (S14, Team Alicia)
  • Mercy - Kymberli Joye vs OneUp (S15, Team Kelly)
  • Here - Kim Cherry vs Kendra Checketts (S16, Team Blake)
  • The Joke - Lisa Ramey vs Betsy Ade (S16, Team Legend)
  • Burning House - Marybeth Byrd vs Dane & Stephanie (S17, Team Legend)
  • when the party's over - Roderick Chambers vs Joanna Serenko (S18, Team Nick)
  • If the World Was Ending - Payge Turner vs Lauren Frihauf (S19, Team Gwen)
  • I Surrender - Marisa Corvo vs Ryan Gallagher (S19, Team Kelly)

Worst

• One Last Time - Kyla Jade vs JessLee (S14, Team Blake)
  • Location - Kayslin Victorita vs Oliv Blu (S16, Team Legend)
  • Take Me Home, Country Roads - Kat Hammock vs Josie Jones (S17, Team Blake)
  • High Hopes - Joana Martinez vs Matthew McQueen (S17, Team Blake)
  • I Could Use a Love Song - Kyndal Inskeep vs James Violet (S17, Team Gwen)
  • Missing You - Arei Moon vs Samuel Wilco (S18, Team Nick)
  • Hard Place - Tamara Jade vs Olivia Reyes (S19, Team Legend)

A lot of S18's battle song choices sucked, I mean, "What Ifs", "Señorita, "Scared to be Lonely", "Adorn", " Missing You", "Circles" and "Counting Stars" didnt fit the respective pairings that got them in my opinion.

Also, let me add "High Hopes" for Joanna and Matthew in S17. Both good singers, but the song didnt work for them at all.

Edited by Misirlou

1 minute ago, Misirlou said:

A lot of S18's battle song choices sucked, I mean, "What Ifs", "Señorita, "Scared to be Lonely", "Adorn", " Missing You", "Circles" and "Counting Stars" didnt fit the respective pairings that got them in my opinion.

Also, let me add "High Hopes" for Joanna and Matthew in S17. Both good singers, but the song didnt work for them at all.

yeah High Hopes was awful. Joana and Matthew both deserved a better song and a place in the Knockouts.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Yep. All of those are awful.

13 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Worst:

For a 16 year old girl and a 39 year old man, this is as bad as it gets. 

Chevel Shepherd v. Mikele Buck “You Look So Good In Love” 

For real. No wonder why it got montaged. "Whiskey Lullaby" is another choice that seemed questionable for a 15 year old girl (Skylar) last season. What do they have in common? Both Team Kelly battles.

Continuing the theme of awkward battles, CammWess actually had to sing the line "I love it when you call me Señorita" ,and you could see how uncomfortable he was while singing it.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

For real. No wonder why it got montaged. "Whiskey Lullaby" is another choice that seemed questionable for a 15 year old girl (Skylar) last season. What do they have in common? Both Team Kelly battles.

Continuing the theme of awkward battles, CammWess actually had to sing the line "I love it when you call me Señorita" ,and you could see how uncomfortable he was while singing it.

Speaking of Kelly, the song choice for Brynn and Dylan was questionable too, even though it worked out. A 14 year old and a 21 year old. Hmmm.....

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 2

Worst

- JusJon vs Payton "Dancing With A Stranger"

- Shane vs Melinda "Too Good At Goodbyes"

- Jacob vs Talon "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic"

- Jackie V vs Stephanie "These Dreams"

- Anthony vs Michael "I Feel It Coming"

Best

- Royce vs Kiara "Turn Your Lights Down Low"

- Shawn vs Matthew "Never Too Much"

- Jej vs Beth "Jealous"

- D.R. vs Jackie F "Sign Of The Times"

- Lucas vs Meagan "My Prerogative"

3 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Speaking of Kelly, the song choice for Brynn and Dylan was questionable too, even though it worked out. A 14 year old and a 21 year old. Hmmm.....

In seasons 16-18 she didn't have any questionable teen-adult pairings, but then Skylar vs Tanner happened.

Edit: Nvm, season 16 had the equally questionable Mikaela vs The Bundys 😵

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 1

Just now, FloorWax said:

- Shane vs Melinda "Too Good At Goodbyes"

I think the song itself did fit them, but they sang it without understanding the message of it. They were smiling ear to ear, which in some way is understandable given the excitement, but you´re singing a song about heartbreak, come on.

2 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

- Jackie V vs Stephanie "These Dreams"

Unpopular opinion: I actually like this battle. The song choice could have been better but there were some good moments there. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Misirlou said:

They were smiling ear to ear, which in some way is understandable given the excitement, but you´re singing a song about heartbreak, come on.

Flashbacks of Reagan smiling ear to ear singing "Complicated", but she was a child, so it's more excused there.

29 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

In seasons 16-18 she didn't have any questionable teen-adult pairings, but then Skylar vs Tanner happened.

33 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I love how everyone is only bashing Kelly for teen-adult pairings. I didn't realize there were age groups on The Voice. 😒

Last I checked, 14-year-old Levi was paired with 26-year-old Jamal in S18, just saying. 🙄

44 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

As much as I love Shawn, I never understood why he sang that line in the song. That should be a line that only Camilla sings imo lol 😂

5 minutes ago, disney1024 said:

I love how everyone is only bashing Kelly for teen-adult pairings. I didn't realize there were age groups on The Voice. 😒

Last I checked, 14-year-old Levi was paired with 26-year-old Jamal in S18, just saying. 🙄

It´s not about teens and adults being paired, it´s the songs they are given. Chevel/Mikele and Tanner/Skylar were given songs that involved romance, and it´s obviously going to be awkward singing about love to someone who´s underage. (And in Mikele´s case, old enough to be his daughter 💀)

It´s not even 100% confirmed that Kelly picked the songs any way.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

It's not about teens and adults being paired, it's the songs they are given. Chevel/Mikele and Tanner/Skylar were given songs that involved romance, and it's obviously going to be awkward singing about love to someone who's underage. 

That's what I initially thought u meant but then @TeamAudra out of nowhere mentions Brynn and Dylan's battle performance. "...Ready for It?" is definitely not a romantic song imo and their rendition of it was really well done 🤨

Edited by disney1024

12 minutes ago, disney1024 said:

That's what I initially thought u meant but then @TeamAudra out of nowhere mentions Brynn and Dylan's battle performance. "...Ready for It?" is definitely not a romantic song imo and their rendition of it was really well done 🤨

Have you ever read the lyrics to Ready For It?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, disney1024 said:

"...Ready for It?" is definitely not a romantic song imo and their rendition of it was really well done

In the middle of the night, in my dreams

You should see the things we do, baby

I know I'm gonna be with you

So I take my time

Are you ready for it?

Just now, FloorWax said:

You should see the things we do, baby

I know I'm gonna be with you

So I take my time

Are you ready for it?

This actually sounds MORE uncomfortable than a sweet romantic song.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

Have you ever read the lyrics to Ready For It?

The song isn't a crooning romantic ballad that one would sing to their lover. Don't sexualize everything. 🙄

Brynn and Dylan's performance was really well done in a non-awkward way. It was one of my favourite battles in S14. 😌

Just now, disney1024 said:

The song isn't a crooning romantic ballad that one would sing to their lover. Don't sexualize everything. 🙄

Brynn and Dylan's performance was really well done in a non-awkward way. It was one of my favourite battles in S14. 😌

The battle turned out fine. I’m specifically referring to the lyrics. If you don’t understand my point, I don’t know what else I can tell you. There are literally thousands of songs Kelly could have chosen for Brynn, Chevel and Skylar, yet her choices contained lyrics and content inappropriate for their ages. The end. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

It's a freaking Taylor Swift song that everyone hears on the radio all the time. Stop sexualizing performances between a guy and a girl unless either party clearly looks uncomfortable singing it. It says a lot more about you and your mindset than it does about the artists or the coach. 🙄

Edited by disney1024

1 minute ago, disney1024 said:

It's a freaking Taylor Swift song that everyone hears on the radio all the time. Stop sexualizing performances between a guy and a girl unless either party clearly looks uncomfortable singing it. It says a lot more about you and your mindset than it does about the artists or the coach. 🙄

OK, time to put you on ignore....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, disney1024 said:

Nobody sexualizes performances between two girls or two boys, even though homosexual love is a thing. I don't know why people are so willing to sexualize performances between a guy and a girl. 🙄