Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

3. Fallin’ 

Album: Songs in A Minor (2001)

220px-Alicia-keys-fallin-single.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallin'_(Alicia_Keys_song) 

Listen on YouTube

5.85 (tie) / 21

@Crisis - 2/21

@*Lily - 2/21

@*Wallace - 2/21

@*Chris - 6/21

@taylorkat - 8/21

@FrogLenzen - 10/21

@Zoey - 11/21

Crisis - 2/21

On 4/18/2024 at 12:28 AM, Crisis said:

The one that started it all for Mrs. Keys! Although I had my eye on other songs to advance to the final voting round, it appeared this was on the verge of missing out, which would’ve been absolutely criminal. Therefore, there was no way I would let this song slip through the cracks if I could help it. Anyway, onto the write-up.

"Fallin’" is perhaps Alicia’s most famous song. It samples the iconic James Brown song, "It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World", and it became a beast of its own. It’s about her being in a rollercoaster of a relationship with many highs and lows. The song starts off with Alicia singing the first line and part of the second line a cappella before the music gradually kicks in. The rest of the verse is just as good:

Sometimes I love ya, sometimes you make me blue

Sometimes I feel good, at times I feel used

Lovin’ you darlin’, makes me so confused

Then it segues into the memorable chorus:

I keep on fallin’ in and out

Of love with you

I never loved someone

The way that I’m lovin’ you

The second verse is more of the same. Then she gets into the bridge after the second chorus, which is great:

Oh, baby

I, I, I, I'm fallin' (Yeah, yeah, yeah)

I, I, I, I'm fallin'

Fall, fall, fall (Sing)

Fall

Then there’s the last chorus where a choir comes in and assists Alicia in bringing the song home. This may be weird, but another thing I like about the song is how the music abruptly ends with a violin carrying the last note. It’s as if it punctuates the volatility of the relationship. Anyway, "Fallin’" is a beloved and signature song of Alicia’s, and this is an easy inclusion to the Top 5, let alone Top 3.

Wallace - 2/21

On 4/18/2024 at 11:56 AM, *Wallace said:

tumblr_m00zg9bdYg1qe72h7o1_500.gif

Ahhh "Fallin'" is the iconic debut single that started it all for Miss Alicia! :wub: This song was a definite MUST to be here in the To 21 of this game, or else  Iwould have been absolutely outraged if it wasn't. Alicia was such a different artist in the mainstream music field, as she was a young soulful woman playing a piano with a ballad singing her heart out! It was very different to the biggest popular songs out in 2001, but there was certainly a place in the music industry for Alicia. what I love about this song is how soulful, emotional and heartwrenching this song is - and of course Alicia's vocals and piano playing! :wub: This still remains one of my all-time favorite songs from Alicia as well.  I think this was an easy #2 for me to figure out.

This song starts off with a bang with Alicia's a capella belting of: I keep on falling iiiiiinnnnnn. :omg: SO GOOD!  I love how she brings in the piano playing and sings the rest of the opening verse. It's all so powerful and moving. I love the part where she sings:

Sometimes I love ya
Sometimes you make me blue

Lovin' you darlin'
Makes me so confused

The chorus is really great. I love the power and soul that Alicia brings with singing that part that goes:

I keep on fallin' in and out
Of love with you
I never loved someone
The way that I love you

:wub: Some of my other favorite parts from the second verse are where Alicia sings:

Oh, oh, IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

How do you give me so much pleasure
And cause me so much pain? 
Just when I thiiinnnnink

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII start falling back in love with you

Just so flawless and powerful! :omg: The bridge is great too. I especially love the way she sings " I, I, I, I" and "falllll" multiple times in different ways. ❤️ Then I love how the background vocals come in and sing along to the rest of the chorus at the end of the song! I also love some of Alicia's little ad-libs at the end of the song, like those parts where she sings: NO! NO NO! UH! I don't know why but that part gets me excited and pumped hearing that. :haha: But the rest of her ad-libs are great. Those last few section of the chorus hat Alicia and the background vocalists do gives me some serious chills! :omg:

We should all be grateful for "Fallin'" as it was the song that started it all for Alicia! "Fallin'" better be ranked high on here.... I will accept nothing less than a Top 5 finish, please. :kissbye:

2. If I Ain't Got You 

Album: The Diary of Alicia Keys (2003)

220px-Alicia_Keys_-_If_I_Ain%27t_Got_You_%28single_cover%29.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Ain't_Got_You 

Listen on YouTube

5.85 (tie) / 21

Derek - 1/21

Wallace - 1/21

Gigi - 3/21

Chris - 4/21

Zoey - 7/21

Lily - 8/21

Crisis - 17/21

Wallace - 1/21

On 4/18/2024 at 11:56 AM, *Wallace said:

tumblr_m3bv33MhRp1qli1dto1_r2_540.gif

8494a1b842f0d19971ddb46c4b344c0b_w200.gi

I absolutely LOVE and adore "If I Ain't Got You." I have always considered this my all-time favorite song from Alicia Keys. :wub: It's been like that for maybe nearly 20 years? Though I'm not exactly sure when this song overtook "Fallin'" for me... hmmm. Anyway, this is such a gorgeous and moving ballad about how some people may want a lot of fancy and expensive things but none of that matters to Alicia as she just wants her loved one. The loved ones means everything to her. It's really such a meaningful and beautiful song. ❤️ I love everything about this song from the beautiful piano playing, the music, the vocals to the emotional connection and just everything! Alicia sings the opening of the song so softly and beautifully. I love it when she adds little inflactions in her voice, like how she sings:

Some people live just for the fame
Some people live for the power, yeah

I love how Alicia builds the song up nicely on the pre-chorus, where she sings:

Some people think that the physical things
Define what's within
And I've been there before but that life's a bore
So full of the superficial

But then that chorus comes in, which is EVERYTHING! :omg: I really love the chorus, with how she pours so much emotion and belts the song out with all of her heart! She sings it all so wonderfully! ❤️

Some people want it all
But I don't want nothing at all
If it ain't you, baby
If I ain't got you, baby
Some people want diamond rings
Some just want everything
But everything means nothing
If I ain't got you, yeah

:wub: Such a thing of beauty with those power vocals and heartfelt emotion behind it! :wub: I really love how she sings the latter half of the second verse and second pre-chorus that goes:

Promises forever young
Some people need three dozen rrrrrroooossssseeeessss
And that's the only way to prove you love them
Hand me the world on a silver platter
And what good would it be?
With no one to share
With no one who truly cares for me

Another part I love, from the second chorus is that part where Alicia sings if I ain't got youuu, youuu, youuuuu with how she belts out those "you" parts!  It's SO good! :wub: All of the rest of her belting is so heavenly and gorgeous! After all of those amazing power vocals that Alicia slays,  I love how she closes the song so softly and calmly at the end.  I love that part where she sings:

If I ain't got you with me, baby
Oh, whoo-ooh
Said nothing in this whole wide world don't mean a thing
If I ain't got you with me, baby

😢

I also love the music video and think it's a great video to showcase the song. Anywho, I do really love "If I Ain't Got You" and hope to see it rank well. I think and hope that it can be a good and strong contender to win. I'm not sure if it will, but if it doesn't, I wouldn't be too mad. I also really love the duet version of the song with Usher, which was beautiful and amazing as well. I wish I could have supported that version in the game too but couldn't do so with so few spots in the game. :( But at least we got the amazing original version here!

Crisis - 17/21

As much as I love The Diary of Alicia Keys, "If I Ain’t Got You" has never been one of my favorites from it. The triplets at the beginning and the end are candy to the ears, but the rest of the song didn’t grab my attention. So of course this is one of her most popular songs, and it wouldn’t surprise me if this finishes really high.

1. How Come You Don't Call Me 

Album: Songs in A Minor (2001)

220px-Alicia_Keys_-_How_Come_single_cover.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Come_U_Don't_Call_Me_Anymore%3F 

Listen on YouTube

5.57 / 21

Lily - 1/21

Chris - 1/21

Zoey - 4/21

Gigi - 4/21

Derek - 5/21

Crisis - 11/21

Wallace - 13/21

Derek - 5/21

In another iconic IDF twist of fate, the 2 undisputed biggest Alicia songs tied for 2nd and 3rd, with enough detractors on each to pave the way for an unexpected winner! As much as it pains me to see my #1 just miss out on a win and for a cover to win the round... just listen to this song. It is incredible. Alicia does it so much justice and this may be the best she's ever sounded. A fabulous single, part of a brilliant album, and a worthy winner of the round.

Crisis - 11/21

Covering other artists’ songs can be daunting, especially someone as unique and titanic as Prince. However, Alicia definitely did her thing with this number. Although I am more partial to the original, I really like this interpolation as well. She did a respectable job of capturing the emotions of the song. My favorite part is the chorus:

What I wanna know, baby

If what we had was good

How come you don’t call me anymore?

Although it finishes just outside of my Top 10, "How Come You Don’t Call Me" is a song I hold in high regard and feel that it’s a great addition to this ranking.

Wallace - 13/21

On 4/18/2024 at 11:58 AM, *Wallace said:

giphy.gif

Hmmm I think the Top 13 is the point where I feel I really love all of these songs... and ranking the songs from this point will be super difficult. Songs in A Minor was such an iconic debut album from Alicia Keys, no denying that. I often think of "How Come You Don't Call Me" as my least favorite single from that album, which isn't much to say as I still love this song. But I love how Alicia covered a Prince original here and made this song in her own way. I'm not sure how familiar I am with Prince's version but I did grow to love this song through Alicia's version. I love how soulful she sounds while singing this song. ❤️  I have a few favorite parts here. I really love the parts where she sings:

I always thought our love was so right
I guess I was wrong
Always thought you'd be by my side, papa
Now you're gone
(And I'm not tryna hear that )

Then I love the chorus where she sings:

What I wanna know baby
If what we had was good
How come you don't call me
Anymore?

The second verse is sooo good and Alicia really slays it there.

Still like a fire on a rainy night
I still like it better when you're holding me tight
Everybody said
Everybody said that we should never part
Tell me baby, baby, baby why
Why you wanna go and break my heart?
Ahhh heeyyy woooo

So good! :wub: But the goodness doesn't stop there. I reallly love how Alicia builds up the song on the bridge.... that part is SO good. I love how she sings that part that goes:

Sometimes it feels like I'm gonna die
If you don't call me papa
Ooh, you got to try
Won't get down on my knees
Won't beg you please
Please, oh-ooh

Ooh, won't you call me sometime, papa?
Why don't you call me back no more?
Why on earth can't you just pick up the phone?
You know I don't like to be alone

Then those last big notes Alicia hits are so good! :omg: This is yet another one of the many great songs from Alicia Keys!

Kinda surprised "Fallin'" didn't pull out the win as it had a strong range of high rankings. Love Crisis' write-up on it... and his protecting of "Fallin'" reminds me of mine with IIAGY. Such an amazing and memorable debut single that we are blessed that put Alicia on the map. ❤️ Deserving of its Top 3 ranking.

Well Derek is my only friend with the #1 for "If I Ain't Got You." :wub: Honestly didn't expect or predict Derek to rank that at #1 with me, but I LOVE it. ❤️ Sad about Crisis' comments/thoughts on it. 😢 Sad it couldn't pull out the win as it would be amongst my all-time favorite songs, but a #2 finish is still great. This song is a timeless classic! ❤️ 

Ugh well that was a disappointing ending. 🙈 Lmaoo maybe I should have been more strategic and tanked "How Come You Don't Call Me" though I still love that song. :giggle: hahaha. But oh well, it's still a great song and Alicia sounds great on it. And I guess an unexpected win can be fun sometimes. Congrats to Lily on her favorite winning. And I guess congrats to Chris too - but I don't appreciate him rooting against me last night. :kissbye: LOL JK.

But wowzers that is a tight score between the Top 3! 😮 

• Like 2

I don't know how to feel about a cover taking the top spot. At least it is a song I really like even if I ranked it just out of the Top Ten. When Derek mentioned the remaining tie, I had a feeling "Fallin'" and "If I Ain't Got You" would be the songs to tie. However, I thought they would tie for the top spot and HCYDCM would finish third. It is what it is.

Regardless of the conflicting ending, it was a lot of fun having a round with one of all-time favorite artists and seeing other opinions of her discography. With that said, Chris and Lily are dead to me. If there are still requests for second artists after the Bonus Round, I have a few in mind.