The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

10 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Regardless of which side wins, that does not instill confidence in the elections. 

I mean, it’s annoying. 

The idea that it takes a while to count votes in states that have expanded voting rights shouldn’t make people question elections. I think people should just shift their expectations from instant gratification to reality. 

The Lincoln Project: we’re trying to burn the Republican Party down. 

7 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

I mean, it’s annoying. 

The idea that it takes a while to count votes in states that have expanded voting rights shouldn’t make people question elections. I think people should just shift their expectations from instant gratification to reality. 

The Lincoln Project: we’re trying to burn the Republican Party down. 

Plenty of states have expanded voting rights, and count almost all of the votes on election night. 

• Like 2

The news is all bad for Republicans, and I’m not just talking about the House, Senate, and Gov races. There’s no way to spin it. The only states with “red waves” were Florida and Iowa. 

This is literally the worst case scenario for the GOP. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

The news is all bad for Republicans, and I’m not just talking about the House, Senate, and Gov races. There’s no way to spin it. The only states with “red waves” were Florida and Iowa. 

This is literally the worst case scenario for the GOP. 

Definitely the worst case for the GOP...part of me wonders what were the campaign strategies that took place -- or lack thereof.

Edited by Gmm99

5 minutes ago, Gmm99 said:

Definitely the worst case for the GOP...part of me wonders what were the campaign strategies that took place -- or lack thereof.

The Republican Party is full of people who aren’t very smart. Many of them are absolute morons. I’ll just leave it at that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/9/2022 at 10:20 PM, TeamAudra said:

I found Ann Coulter’s “Trump is Done” article from January. 

How did she know? 🤔 

“….Trump is already two years ahead of Palin’s fade-out schedule. After his petulant endorsements this year deliver loss after loss in midterm elections that ought to be a blowout landslide for the GOP, he’ll be as popular as former Missouri Rep. Todd Akin….”

https://anncoulter.com/2022/01/19/the-message-in-the-polls-trumps-donex/

RT

The problem that the GOP has is that about 20% to 30% of the party are Trumpers. That’s why all of Trumps candidates won the primary. 

Which brings me to the second problem - Trump will burn everything down if he must. He doesn’t actually care about the party or policies - he cares about himself, making money, and not going to jail. 

so he will absolutely take down anyone running against him. Heck, he’s already hinting at him and DeSantis committing election fraud together…and if he tells those 20/30 percent not to vote for anyone else, they won’t because they are in a cult. 

I suppose republicans can hope that Trump goes to prison from one of his three criminal cases 🤣 it might be the best thing for them. 

36 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

The problem that the GOP has is that about 20% to 30% of the party are Trumpers. That’s why all of Trumps candidates won the primary. 

Which brings me to the second problem - Trump will burn everything down if he must. He doesn’t actually care about the party or policies - he cares about himself, making money, and not going to jail. 

so he will absolutely take down anyone running against him. Heck, he’s already hinting at him and DeSantis committing election fraud together…and if he tells those 20/30 percent not to vote for anyone else, they won’t because they are in a cult. 

I suppose republicans can hope that Trump goes to prison from one of his three criminal cases 🤣 it might be the best thing for them. 

As long as he has a tight grip over those 20-30%, the party will continue to suffer inexcusable loses. Simple as that. There’s literally nothing anyone can say to those 20-30% to get them to see the light. It’s a religion to them. 

It’s more than just that, though. Trump is the best GOTV tool Democrats have. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

Despite President Biden and the Democratic Party scaring voters this fall by vilifying Republicans and highlighting the abortion issue, many Democrats won by small percentages in close races.

The GOP needs to do a better job consolidating support for its annual Election Day nominees. Whether these individuals are the preferred choice of Republican leaders and voters for their particular races or not, they are representing the party on ballots and should be helped to win. Then all those candidates need to effectively communicate a unified message about policy differences between the two parties and Republican solutions for problems the country is facing (à la Newt Gingrich's "Contract with America" in 1994).

Edited by RTV

23 minutes ago, RTV said:

Despite President Biden and the Democratic Party scaring voters this fall by vilifying Republicans and highlighting the abortion issue, many Democrats won by small percentages in close races.

The GOP needs to do a better job consolidating support for its annual Election Day nominees. Whether these individuals are the preferred choice of Republican leaders and voters for their particular races or not, they are representing the party on ballots and should be helped to win. Then all those candidates need to effectively communicate a unified message about policy differences between the two parties and Republican solutions for problems the country is facing (à la Newt Gingrich's "Contract with America" in 1994).

None of that matters, as long as Trump is the focal point. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Now that Trump has endorsed McCarthy for Speaker, I’m curious whether his supporters will follow suit. Thoughts? @season1

I don't agree with the endorsement, and not the first endorsement I disagree with (remember Oz?). I also don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Sometimes, he "supports" people to put the spotlight on them and to expose their not-so-good qualities. And sometimes, he seemingly oppose people to raise their profile and get people to look at their good qualities. I don't take much of anything Trump does or says at face value.

And if Erickson (and other Con Inc. pundits) drop McCarthy because Trump "blessed" him, I don't see a downside. 

Edited by season1

It hasn’t been called yet, but it looks like it’s over for Lake, based on that last drop. Predictit has it 96/4 in favor of Hobbs. 

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7383/Which-party-will-win-the-2022-Arizona-gubernatorial-election

Same on Polymarket. 

https://polymarket.com/market/2022-us-gubernatorial-elections-will-a-democrat-or-republican-win-in-arizona

Edited by TeamAudra