The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

Trump to stay out of Georgia, in advance of runoff. 

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/trump-will-not-hold-rally-to-support-herschel-walker-in-georgia-following-gop-midterm-failure/

Tell me something I didn’t already know:

The decision to keep Mr. Trump out of the spotlight was a response largely to the former president’s political style and image, which can energize his core supporters but also motivate Democratic voters and turn off significant segments of moderate Republicans.

In Georgia, that political math has become a net deficit for Mr. Trump, who opened his 2024 presidential campaign two weeks ago. In 2020, he was the first Republican presidential candidate to lose the state in 28 years. Earlier this year, his handpicked primary challengers to Gov. Brian Kemp and Secretary of State Brad Raffenspergerwere both trounced.

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/26/1139266664/early-voting-for-the-georgia-senate-runoff-has-begun

As of today, racetothewh.com gives Warnock a 77.5% chance of winning the runoff.

https://www.racetothewh.com/georgia

Democrats will have a Senate majority, but the party didn't have to defend a single seat this November in a state Trump won in 2020.

That won't be the case in 2024. Democrats will be defending 23 Senate seats, compared to 10 for Republicans. Three of the 23 are Montana, Ohio, and West Virginia—where Trump won. None of the Republican incumbents up for reelection in 2024 are in seats that Joe Biden won in 2020.

Edited by RTV

55 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

If you click the link, and read the top lines, Trump’s problems are very clear: Independents and college educated. 

I'm surprised DeSantis is ahead of Biden by only 1%. This is the point that caught my eye.

• A majority (54%) of respondents disapprove of President Biden’s performance as commander in chief but would return him to office in a possible 2024 rematch against former President Trump.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, RTV said:

I'm surprised DeSantis is ahead of Biden by only 1%. This is the point that caught my eye.

• A majority (54%) of respondents disapprove of President Biden’s performance as commander in chief but would return him to office in a possible 2024 rematch against former President Trump.

It’s more of a swing state than it had been, but nominating Trump likely means conceding Georgia and probably Arizona too. I don’t see how any Republicans wins an electoral victory without those two states, or at least one of them. 

Edited by TeamAudra

5 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

It’s more of a swing state than it had been, but nominating Trump likely means conceding Georgia and probably Arizona too. I don’t see how any Republicans wins an electoral victory without those two states, or at least one of them. 

Speaking of Georgia...what's your final predictions for the senate runoff?

Side-note, looks like Presler has been on the ground running going door-to-door during these past several days. 

Honestly, I am not optimistic Walker can pull this off from what I have seen.

Edited by Gmm99

3 hours ago, Gmm99 said:

Speaking of Georgia...what's your final predictions for the senate runoff?

Side-note, looks like Presler has been on the ground running going door-to-door during these past several days. 

Honestly, I am not optimistic Walker can pull this off from what I have seen.

I think Walker is gonna lose. 

• Like 1