In retrospect, how far would Benson/Kenedi had made it had they not dropped out of the Top 24?

m1key

Which round?   

24 members have voted

1. 1. How far would Benson have gone on Season 19?

• Winner
    • Top 3
    • Top 5
    • Top 7
    • Top 10
    • Top 12
    • Top 16
    • Top 24
  2. 2. How far would Kenedi have gone on Season 20?

• Winner
    • Top 3
    • Top 5
    • Top 7
    • Top 10
    • Top 11
    • Top 14
    • Top 20
    • Top 24

Posted (edited)

Benson Boone has become a major success. "Beautiful Things" is one of the biggest songs of 2024, and his first album debuted at #6 on the Billboard 200. It was released in early April, yet it was the 4th most streamed album of the day yesterday - only below mega stars such as Billie, Taylor, and Ari. Many people claim his success has nothing to do with Idol, but his audition did go viral and helped further build his platform. 

Unfortunately for Kenedi, she has not gained as much success and it seemingly may have been a smarter decision for her to stay in the competition. 

However, I feel like there has never been proper discourse or a thread dedicated to a discussion about these two. Interested to hear people's thoughts! 

Edited by m1key
  • Like 1

i think Benson would have been very pimped by producers. he was given a premiere slot and had a positive edit in his audition, on top of his superb vocal abilities and a marketable identity overall - from his looks to his artistry. my only worry is that he could have potentially come across as immature with all of the backflip shenanigans and such. though that could have easily set him up for a more powerful, serious moment later on in the competition. i think he's Top 5, and potentially takes Willie's spot in the Top 3. i don't think they would have pimped Willie as hard if Benson stayed in - Grace would continue to be pimped to prevent an all male finale.

Kenedi is interesting because she had one of the most viral auditions of the ABC era. she obviously had the vocals, artistry, and marketability - though i do wonder if she would have potentially flopped in lives since she didn’t have much performance experience iirc? her story reminds me of Abi’s in the sense that she was portrayed as a girl with a large family who keeps her grounded. however, she did have the added privilege element of her dad being in the NFL which could have hurt her. she was also extremely gorgeous in a way that was a little too far left from “girl next door” territory. i think she takes Nicolina’s spot in the Top 5 and leaves there.

i think kenedi had a real shot at winning. she managed to generate an iam-level viral and i remember that the videos from her performances posted outside of the american idol channel (that stopped posting her performances post audition since she had quit) were all quickly hitting the million mark. she had a lot of people invested on her. although i think she would oversing a lot during the live shows and potentially turn some people away from her. it’s hard to know.

• Like 1

Kenedi could’ve been the winner that Abi Carter turned out to be. I could’ve seen her winning, Noah getting second, and Huntergirl third. 

Hard to say with Benson. I think Chayce was winning that season no matter what, but Benson probably would’ve made the Top 5.