SCD Series 21 Discussion Thread

Ariel1989

Thought I’d might as well start the new series thread since they’ve just revealed the hosts, judges and pros!

Hosts

Tess Daly

Claudia Winkleman

Judges

Craig Revel Horwood

Motsi Mabuse

Shirley Ballas

Anton du Beke

Pros

Dianne Buswell

Nadiya Bychkova

Vito Coppola

Graziano Di Prima

Amy Dowden

Carlos Gu

Karen Hauer

Katya Jones

Neil Jones

Nikita Kuzmin

Gorka Márquez

Luba Mushtuk

Lauren Oakley

Giovanni Pernice

Jowita Przystał

Johannes Radebe

Michelle Tsiakkas

Kai Widdrington

Nancy Xu

The only pro not returning is Cameron Lombard.  

Thoughts

Even though he didn’t seem to fit with the other pros, I do feel for Cameron; two years on the bench and not even a Christmas or Children in Need Special like fellow two year bencher Chloe.  

Overall though, pretty happy with the lineup.  Loved the three newbie pros, Jowita, Carlos and Vito (he really grew on me by mid series), last year and how they all made the Final.  Manifesting good partners for Kai and Nadiya this year after going so early last year; also for Graziano, yes, he made the Quarterfinal and Kym was very good but he’s shown so much growth  since his first series that I think he deserves another contender (side note: I was a bit worried that he’d jump ship to join wife Giada on the horrible Italian version, so glad he’s still on a good version).  Also would enjoy seeing same-sex pairings for Katya and Nikita, they seem like they’d do well with them; I can also see Amy, Dianne and Kai (he did one for Switch-Up week in Ireland) doing pretty well in one too.  

Not the biggest fan of Neil as a pro partner but I don’t think he’s getting a partner this year anyway because his and his fiancée’s baby is likely due during the series run and he probably needs time that he spends training with a partner for his fiancée instead.  I think Luba is benched too unless they decide to swap her and Nadiya again; there’s also no way they’ll bench long-running/successful pros like Amy, Dianne, Jowita, Karen, Katya or even two-semifinals-in-a-row Nancy for Luba.  If there’s room, I can see Lauren getting a partner or maybe Michelle if a celeb fits more with her than Lauren.  

I’m guessing there will be a new male pro to replace Cameron and make even the number of pros.  My first choice would be Pasquale La Rocca but they seem to be hiring on the younger side now (hopefully he comes back to Ireland instead of staying with Italy’s inferior version).  I’m interested in seeing if they get a pro from another version (like Dianne from Australia, Johannes from South Africa, Kai from Ireland, Nadiya from Slovenia, Nikita from Germany or Vito from Italy) or a newbie straight from the competition circuit (like Carlos).  

Oh wow I wasn't expecting this thread to come so soon. :dead: 

But always excited for Strictly news! Aww I'm sad about Cameron not returning. :( He's never got a proper chance as a pro getting to dance with a celebrity. I remember really wanting him with Molly last year, but then Molly/Carlos turned out to be really great. But still, wish he could have been with a young contender. Oh wow, and he also never had a partner in any of the specials either - that's even worse.

I would love to see what Lauren and/or Michelle can do with a celebrity. Kinda hoping they can get celebs though it's probably unlikely for them both.

Oooh and I love how Karen is still going strong as a pro here. I always expect her to leave but glad that's not the case. But I'm wondering how long she can/will go on. 😮 

• 1 month later...

Amy has been diagnosed with breast cancer

Heartbreaking news, hope she has a speedy recovery.  

It does seem like she’s out for this series since Strictly has confirmed they aren’t hiring a new pro this year; I’m guessing they were planning on replacing Cameron to even out the number of dancers but with Amy’s unfortunate news, they’ll probably just keep it at 18 dancers out of respect for Amy.  

• Sad 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With it being July now, the tabloids will probably start putting out some speculated/rumored names for the 2023 cast (where the official cast reveal starts in August). I saw an article of former EastEnders actor, Nigel Harman, being named as apart of the cast. Because you know, we always need an EastEnders representative for the series. :dead: 

Link: https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertainment/talent-shows/nigel-harman-eastenders-strictly-come-dancing-newsupdate/

This cast is leaking like crazy for a UK season especially lmao.

I'm excited for Layton. Zara surprised me at first but she seems to be someone who the BBC is promoting more with her documentaries. Who'd have thought watching her season at Love Island that she of all people would be the first Love Islander to make Strictly lol

10 minutes ago, *Lily said:

This cast is leaking like crazy for a UK season especially lmao.

I'm excited for Layton. Zara surprised me at first but she seems to be someone who the BBC is promoting more with her documentaries. Who'd have thought watching her season at Love Island that she of all people would be the first Love Islander to make Strictly lol

We deserved Samira. 😭

Oh wow so many names leaking. 😮 What's going on with Strictly producers not keeping the cast under wraps? 🙈

And omgg I'm so shook about a Love Islander alumni doing Strictly. 😮 I thought Strictly was against those kinds of stars. :dead: But I read that Zara has done a lot of documentary work since her time on LI.

Oh and I already found the yearly ringer backlash article on Layton before he's even properly announced. :dead: 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12314657/Strictly-risk-new-cheat-claims-signing-West-End-star-professionally-trained-dancer-Layton-Williams-upcoming-series.html 

4 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

O

Oh and I already found the yearly ringer backlash article on Layton before he's even properly announced. :dead: 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12314657/Strictly-risk-new-cheat-claims-signing-West-End-star-professionally-trained-dancer-Layton-Williams-upcoming-series.html 

It's giving Karim/Alexandra/Maisie of the season  and being unpopular and landing in two dance-offs.

3 hours ago, Abe1818 said:

It's giving Karim/Alexandra/Maisie of the season  and being unpopular and landing in two dance-offs.

It's sad how that's become an unexpected trend but there does seem to be those types each year. :( Also add in Rhys, Molly & Fleur as more recent examples.

8 hours ago, *Diana said:

I have no idea who he is but he's gorgeous so I stan. 

He’s a West End and television actor. He was on something on ITV recently as a judge too so maybe that’s secured him his spot.

If there’s 7 male partners and 8 female partners needed, I can see Gio, Gorka, Graz, Johannes, Kai, Nikita and Vito for the men and Dianne, Jowita, Karen, Katya, Lauren, Luba, Nadiya and Nancy for the women.  If there’s 8 male partners and 7 female partners needed, I can see those men plus Carlos and those women minus either Lauren or Luba depending on the height (Luba is 5’9” while Lauren is 5’6”).  I don’t see Neil or Michelle getting partners this year with Neil having a baby due during the series run and I feel like Lauren and Luba, with their history of dancing in the background on Strictly before becoming pros, will be preferred over Michelle.  I do think it’s most likely that more male pros will be needed than female pros (nearly 4 of them were thought to be benched last year until Jayde Adams was revealed to be dancing with a female partner), but I think Carlos, despite reaching the Final, will probably be benched if there’s not enough partners to go around for the men.  

Brenda Edwards is another name being reported. Oooh that's an exciting name and someone I know of before her being on the show (though I know her moreso for X Factor than Loose Women). So yayy for this if it's true.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1796704/Loose-Women-Brenda-Edwards-Strictly-Come-Dancing-2023

I also think the celebs should start being revealed really soon like.... this week, as they are usually released early August? If not then for sure should be next week. Excited!

• Like 1

It looks like the Strictly reveals could be starting later today on The One Show, which I think airs in a few hours? 😮 

ETA: Ugh booo, the above tweet was a lie. 😭 No reveals happened today but hopefully coming very soon.

Yayy celebrity reveals officially happening now! :spaz: 😄 

Amanda Abbington is our first celebrity contestant confirmed for Strictly Come Dancing 2023!

p0g4vtdm.jpg

Amanda Abbington is an award-winning stage and screen actor who has starred in some of the UK’s top drama TV series, including Sherlock, Mr Selfridge, Wolfe, and Desperate Measures. She also had a lead role in the series The Net and feature film The Lost King. Her illustrious television acting career spans three decades and she has also performed in various plays in well renowned theatres across the country, recently starring in the West End transfer of Steven Moffat’s The Unfriend.

Her role as Mary Morstan in Sherlock won her the Best Supporting Actress gong at the Crime Thriller Awards, alongside nominations for this role at the Critic’s Choice Television Awards.

Amanda said: “I’m thrilled to have been asked to do Strictly. I’m actually really shy and self-conscious so this will be a great opportunity for me to overcome those things! Plus, I get to learn to dance which I am incredibly excited about. I’m really looking forward to the training too, I’m quite competitive as my family and friends will tell you. I can’t wait to start!”

Link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/bd64df6d-66b8-43fc-a704-f79c68765e15

The news was revealed this evening (Friday 4th August) on The One Show on BBC One.

From Come Dancing to Strictly Come Dancing Angela Rippon CBE joins our line-up for 2023!

p0g4w15r.jpg

Angela Rippon CBE is an award-winning journalist, TV presenter, newsreader, and author. Her career spans over 50 years, having presented a wide variety of programmes, from hard news and current affairs to quiz shows and magazine programmes, for broadcasters across the world.

She currently presents BBC's Rip-Off Britain and is a regular on Morning Live and The One Show. She presented the original Come Dancing between 1988 – 1991 and has fronted shows such as Top Gear, Antiques Roadshow, The Holiday Programme, Crufts, How to Stay Young and The Truth About Dementia, to name a few.

In 2004 she was awarded an OBE in recognition of her services to Broadcasting, Charity and the Arts, then in the 2017 New Year Honours Angela was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) for services to dementia care.

Angela said: “Having been a fan of Strictly since day one, and as a former presenter of Come Dancing, this will be quite an adventure for me. A scary one, considering I’m about to be 79. But I’m really looking forward to the challenge, and perhaps being able to learn to dance the Argentinian Tango!!”

Link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/a2ee2723-11c8-4252-abf7-113ae47ac159

Layton Williams is the third celebrity contestant confirmed for Strictly Come Dancing 2023!

p0g4wf0l.jpg

Layton Williams is a film and theatre actor and has performed in London’s West End, with performances such as the title role in Billy Elliot and Everyone’s Talking About Jamie. His stage shows also include Thriller Live, Rent, Hairspray and New Adventures.

He is best known on TV for playing Stephen Carmichael in the Bad Education movie and recently rebooted series. Other TV features include Beautiful People, Benidorm, The Cleaner, and I Hate Suzie. Layton is also the voice over artist for the U.K's first gay dating show, I Kissed a Boy on BBC.

Running his own performing arts company ‘Pros from the Shows’ with hopes to inspire the next generation of performers, over the years he has been the recipient of multiple Black British Theatre Awards, plus an Attitude Award for his work and visibility in the LGBTQ+ community.

Layton said: "Absolutely buzzing to confirm that I will be taking part in THE most iconic dance competition in the UK! It's time to bring it to the Ballroom. So excited to learn new skills from the best. Bring on the sequins… ALL the sequins!"

Link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/0a4b03e9-f88c-4720-9435-1fdbb52d4a9a