The Voice Season 23 Recap: As Done By a Hater

thevoiceswimmer

Howdy folks, I don't have the most free time in the world as I am in college so when I do have free time, I love to watch The Voice. However, as I watched the first few episodes of the season, I was super underwhelmed and decided to do literally anything else. I have now hit a lull in my schooling and thought I'd give the show one more chance and I thought you guys could come along for the journey. The only reason why you should care about this recap though is that I am self certified hater, I don't think everyone is the best singer ever and just had an off day, sometimes people just aren't as talented. Obviously, I will not comment on anyone's gender, sexuality, religion, but sometimes the Voice Fashion team does them dirty. Hope you enjoy and follow along as I do my best to catch up! (I do not know any spoilers past what's already aired on the show so no spoilers please!)

GRADE SCALE FOR REFERENCE

A (Perfect)

A- (Amazing)

B+ (Great)

B (Good)

B- (Good...)

C+ (Fine)

C (Ok)

C- (Meh)

D+ (Girl...)

D (Whaaaaa)

D- (Stop)

F (Never Again)

• Like 2

THE PREMIERE

Neil Salsich "Honky Tonk Blues" by Hank Williams Jr. 

Results: 4 Chairs, Blocks Kelly, Team Blake 

Would I Turn: Yes

Grade: B+

Thoughts and Feelings: I saw this song choice and immediately expected to hate it, however I didn't! The vocal flips were pretty crazy and I loved a higher pitch male country singer and while it's not my exact cup of tea, I can totally respect the game. He also sounds very versatile to me so as a coach I would love to push him and see what he could do

Sorelle "Good Ole Fashion Lover Boy" Queen 

Results: 2 Chairs, Team Chance

Would I Turn: Yes...

Grade: B

Thoughts and Feelings: I mean the ladies can sing, there's no denying it, it just felt a little corny. Very pitch perfect-esque but the actual vocals were pretty impressive and I think with some more serious song choices they could really come off as more adult contemporary. I'd love some Adele, Sam Smith, Jessie Ware, etc...

Holly Brand "Mississippi Girl" Faith Hill

Results: 3 Chairs, Team Kelly 

Grade: A-

Thoughts and Feelings: Girl can huff. Like damn girl, she was not afraid to just go for those notes and I was really impressed by the dynamics of the overall performance. The last whistle note was totally unnecessary but hey we all need to show off sometimes don't we? Love to see a country female go far 

Tasha Jensen "River" Leon Bridges

Results: 3 Chairs, Team Blake

Thoughts and Feelings: A little overwrought, but pretty talented. She can clearly do a lot but just because you can, does not mean you should. But taking back is a lot easier to coach than it is to add on where talent is lacking so I think with polishing she could shine

Ross Clayton "Blue Ain't Your Color" Keith Urban

Results: 4 Chairs, Team Niall

Would I Turn: No

Grade: C+

Thoughts and Feelings: I mean it's competent? He wasn't pitchy but he's just outclassed by countless other country singers and even others on this song (Sundance and Jim both doing a superior job). I guess I don't mind that he got a chair since it was so early but like... he got 4 chairs? Over all those others in the past got 3 or less... ok

Michael B "Save Your Tears" The Weeknd

Results: 1 Chair, Team Niall

Grade: C-

Thoughts and Feelings: And what you missed on Glee was... nothing. This was so theater and overwrought on a song that's about regretting breaking someone else's heart and how you really messed it up and... this was his approach? I just don't think it was the right song choice, he wasn't a horrid singer but it kinda felt like a Disneyland performer

Alex Whalen "Help Me Make It Through the Night" Conway Twitty Version

Results: 2 Chairs, Team Blake

Thoughts and Feelings: So I actually love this song (Kree Harrison reigns supreme) so I was super biased to begin with. He then actually then put a really unique spin on the song, that was far from perfect, but really intriguing. This is what Ross wishes he was

NOIVAS "A Change is Gonna Come" Sam Cooke 

Results: 4 Chairs, Chance Blocks Blake, Team Chance

Thoughts: The boy can sing, but this was messy. I get that the rawness was intentional, but a couple times it was just a lot to handle. Don't get me wrong, he was really talented and I would turn and be excited to have him on my team but he also picked a song that's hard to stack up on. Superior vocals with equal amounts of emotion have been done by Adam Lambert, Jennifer Hudson, Ledisi, Johnny Manuel, etc...

Edited by thevoiceswimmer
  • Like 1

I was interested to see how I would feel about the grades, especially since I’m expecting a harsher scale than what I would give. No major disagreements so far. You made one major mistake though, you forgot to grade D. Smooth’s audition

48 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

I was interested to see how I would feel about the grades, especially since I’m expecting a harsher scale than what I would give. No major disagreements so far. You made one major mistake though, you forgot to grade D. Smooth’s audition

LMAO, shows just how forgettable he is. He's no different then any number of R&B males over the years (Davison, Jamar Langley, Magnus, DR King, etc...) definition of "oh yea he auditioned too"

3 minutes ago, thevoiceswimmer said:

LMAO, shows just how forgettable he is. He's no different then any number R&B males over the years (Davison, Jamar Langley, Magnus, DR King, etc...) definition of "oh yea he auditioned too"

Well, at least you have an excuse to not include his Knockout performance this season

3 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Don't disagree with anything so far.

But the videos are all out of sorts for me You have different contestant videos under yout contestant writeups

I did take the videos from the YT playlist of blinds for convenience so it might be going out of order? But I'll just search for the original ones from now on

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thevoiceswimmer said:

I did take the videos from the YT playlist of blinds for convenience so it might be going out of order? But I'll just search for the original ones from now on

Ah yeah, that's probably the case.

Episode 2: The Blind Auditions

Sheer Element "Leave The Door Open" Silk Sonic

Results: 3 Chairs, Team Kelly

Thoughts and Feelings: Look they are talented singers, I won't say they were pitchy or messy. This is a song about sex though... and there was nothing even remotely sexy about this. The original is pretty gruff, featuring very textured voices (especially Anderson) so this super smooth take on the song just feels a bit neutered? It was just a really boring, plain take on a super seductive song and for those reasons, it's a no from me dog

Carlos Rising "Change The World" Eric Clapton

Grade: C

Thoughts and Feelings: The definition of fine? Like nothing offensive to my ear, but it was just kind background music. It was too small and uncompetitive for a singing competition in my opinion, but he isn't untalented. NOIVAS actually did a pretty killer audition with this song for American Idol

Magnus "Sara Smile" Hall & Oates

Results: 1 Chair, Team Chance

Thoughts and Feelings: R&B Carlos... like he's not bad and every once in awhile a run would be pretty clean but it was kinda the definition of generic. Like smooth easy listening, nothing exciting. Kinda surprised he got a chair turn...

Kala Banham "Both Sides Now" Joni Mitchell

Results: 3 Chairs, Niall Blocks Kelly, Team Niall

Thoughts and Feelings: She got a little cursive to her, I won't lie, but I really liked her voice. I thought the beginning and her head voice is really, really pretty and it's definitely a more unique sound then many of the people on this season. The arrangement was a little strange and she didn't land every big note, but overall it was a pretty solid vocal and a new take on a beloved classic so I respect for at least swinging for the fences

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thevoiceswimmer said:

Carlos Rising "Change The World" Eric Clapton

Thoughts and Feelings: The definition of fine? Like nothing offensive to my ear, but it was just kind background music. It was too small and uncompetitive for a singing competition in my opinion, but he isn't untalented. NOIVAS actually did a pretty killer audition with this song for American Idol

Yeah, that was really good.

I didn't like Carlos at the start, but his audition has grown on me since.

English isn't my language, so I'm not that into the lyrics of the songs that I've never heard of / Don't know the story behind them. I seriously don't know what LTDO was about / what's it's meaning. So, unlike you I focused only on their voice. I liked them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, thevoiceswimmer said:

Sheer Element fan I assume?

I mean, I was a fan of their audition. It would be at least in my Top 10 that season, but nobody that made a Blinds Ranking thread put it in their Top 20. I didn’t feel like rating specific performances, but I’m making a contestant ranking at the end of the season, and I’ll address them there (though they can’t be too high on my list due to their limited run).

2 hours ago, Cookie73 said:

I disagree with the Sheer Element grade (my opinion is looking more and more unpopular with each writeup)

Other than that, the grades are fair

I could swear that there was a good amount of appreciation for SE, at least when their audition came out, it just happens to not be by the people who are doing rankings lol

Cause I gave them a 7 on the ratings thread and I thought that rating would be unpopular (as in too low).

I actually agree with pretty much everything lol. I’d have Tasha a little higher, and not really sure how I’d rate Sorelle tbh, but otherwise yeah. Holly’s a deserving A she was really good, I didn’t mind the whistle note.

3 minutes ago, nytsch said:

I could swear that there was a good amount of appreciation for SE, at least when their audition came out, it just happens to not be by the people who are doing rankings lol

Cause I gave them a 7 on the ratings thread and I thought that rating would be unpopular (as in too low).

I felt like doing a ranking for each round would be too much work, so I saved it all for the end of the season. On top of that, I will start write-ups once Knockouts are over, since many people that will get lower placements will be people eliminated in the first two rounds

Episode 3: The Blind Auditions

Ryley Tate Wilson "Dancing On My Own" Calum Scott Version

Results: 4 Chairs, Team Niall

Grade: A- 

Thoughts and Feelings: I am so sick of this song and I've never been a fan of young male contestants so I expected to hate this... and then I didn't. Immediately he changed up the phrasing and showed a lot of taste and restraint. He was a little nervous looking and it wasn't the most thrilling song choice, but all the parts of this audition amounted to something pretty great

Jamar Langley "Try Me" James Brown

Results: 2 Chairs, Team Chance

Grade: B-

Thoughts and Feelings: I feel like I like Jamar more than most IDF users. The song didn't really go much of anywhere, but he kinda feels like D Smooth but improved upon. He had some tasteful runs and worked the stage really well, it's nothing we haven't seen before, but it was well done

Allie Keck "Paris (Oh La La)" Grace Potter & The Nocternals

Results: 2 Chairs, Team Kelly

Thoughts and Feelings: I'm aware that her tone is very hit or miss... but her notes were not. This is hard song, many inferior vocalist would crumble underneath the blaring guitars and tempo changes and Allie handled them with ease. Her sound is a little throaty, she needs to move that sound more into her head but she hit the notes every time and worked the stage like a rockstar. Now we only need to get her some new shoes...

Walker Wilson "Hurricane" The Band of Heathens

Results: 1 Chair, Team Blake 

Thoughts and Feelings: Shocker IDF user doesn't like Walker. I know that I'm literally recapping the season so I'm watching it then recapping right after but... I can't remember a single thing about him. He wasn't bad enough to make me think he sucks, but I also think I can go to every bar within 20 miles and find 30 versions of Walker. He's just not a star, he's a bar karaoke champion in a mid-sized city bar

ALI "Killing Myself Softly" Roberta Flack

Results: 2 Chairs, Team Kelly

Thoughts and Feelings: Maybe I'm going to hell for this since she can't help it, but I kinda hate her tone. It's so nasally and she has such poor enunciation, I was just really underwhelmed. Her runs while well done aren't that hard of runs to do? They're really wide runs, they're  not particularly precise. She also has essentially no stage presence and maybe I'm really gonna rot for this because she inspires me and is good considering her circumstances but put her next to THE MISS Lauryn Hill...

Manessah Samone "Rise Up" Andra Day

Results: 1 Chair, Team Chance

Would I Turn: Yes...

Grade: B- 

Thoughts and Feelings: Mama has pipes, it's clear she does. The notes were huge and the range was huge, but the taste level was kinda questionable. The operatic take on this song just felt a little melodramatic and while I was impressed, I wasn't moved and this song is a rally cry. It's emotional, powerful, and can bring people to tears and it just doesn't quite hold up to other versions of this song (Kelsea Johnson shout out!!). But with some directional pointing, she could be a beast because like Tasha, it's so much easier to mold than it is to try and create talent that isn't there. 

Jerome Goodwin "POV" Ariana Grande

Results: 2 Chairs, Team Niall

Thoughts and Feelings: Ok this is the part where I get run off IDF maybe, but I kinda like Jerome. Or at least the beginning of Jerome, I love the idea of a male take on this song and I think his voice is actually really big and was well controlled... till it wasn't. The end was kinda a mess and if I had waited I probably wouldn't have turned, but I think he has huge potential, he just needs to learn to edit

EJ Michels "Easy On Me" Adele

Thoughts and Feelings: I'm sorry this song is not meant to be cut down to 90 seconds. Homie was on the pre-chorus at the 15 second mark. Plus he had some really obviously missed notes (0:42, 1:10) and this is the cleaned up version for TV. Plus while the majority of males don't have the same register as EJ, there are enough out there even on this show, who have done the "guy with high voice is shocking" (Davon, Billy, Jordan, Steve Knill, Kris Thomas) and have done it better that he doesn't have enough uniqueness to be a middle of the road vocalist 

Laura Littleton "Sign Of The Times" Harry Styles

Results: 3 Chairs, Kelly Blocks Blake, Team Niall

Thoughts and Feelings: Yes IK the vibrato was a lot but I kinda rock with vibrato as a big Dolly and Tracy Chapman fan and it's also a choice she can be coached out of as we saw in her last (beautiful) line. Laura is definitely a case of telling her how to hold back but her voice on some old school country? "It's All Wrong, But It's All Right" by Dolly? "I Lied" by Lord Huron and Alison Ponthier. She's definitely a hit or miss contestant with some definite flaws, but I think her potential and fantastic sense of pitch are greater than some poor stylistic choices. 

• Like 1

I disagree with the last two auditions (I would have EJ higher and Laura lower). Both were more mid for me. I’d probably knock Walker’s audition down a smidge (I didn’t dislike his later performances like this one though)

Edited by Cookie73

1 hour ago, thevoiceswimmer said:

Ahaha I'm glad some people are liking it, I was pretty nervous to start this. What grades are you disagreeing with?

I´d rate Neil (A), Alex (A-) and Sheer Element (A) higher, personally. I´d give Tasha a B+ too.

Now that I see Ep 3, I´d give Walker a B+, Ali and EJ a B-. 

No disagreements in the others so far.