Chris' Drag Race Ruview - 2022 Edition!

*Chris

On 1/2/2023 at 3:13 AM, ~Tom~ said:

Sad to hear that Drag Race Canada dropped in quality!

Not surprised to see UK vs The World low as it was a bit of a mess from what I've seen of it. :haha: 

I just think we’ve been spoiled with the likes of Priyanka and Icesis’s reigns. I think there were some obvious wtf moments from the judging and decisions made which took away from it.

It’s definitely worth a watch though. I didn’t have high hopes for the Canada franchise and I was very vocal during season one about how Brooke Lynn hadn’t earned the right to judge and it seemed like a low budget version but I’m eating my words. :dead: It’s probably my favourite franchise next to UK. What the winners have produced is nothing short of incredible. 

On 1/2/2023 at 4:02 AM, Solaris said:

it was. 

Canada has produces world class winners.  

Icesis and Priyanka are chefs kiss. 

On 1/2/2023 at 10:36 PM, Solaris said:

You make it seem like everyone loves her.  I know thats not factual. I said Ra'Jah made a perfectly fine runner-up in All-stars, but Ra'Jah didn't impress this time around.  I found her weak in 2 of the 5 weeks, and her runways were a step down from All-stars besides one. She had a killer final lipsync and a good snatch game.  Outside of that, I won't remember her run from CvtW.  I am happy for her fans to have her as a winner but I won't be one.  I blame her singing, as it annoys me greatly.

I have to say that I’m in total agreement with your thoughts on Ra’Jah during her latest season. She went from having a pretty great run during All Stars to giving us nothing on Canada vs. The World. I don’t dislike Ra’Jah by any means because she hasn’t done anything to warrant it but I found her so underwhelming both in the challenges and runways. I’d even go as far to say that she delivered some of the worst runways this season. :ph34rwave: I don’t know who I would’ve put in the top two with the Reverend based on overall performance anyway so maybe she did deserve to be there based on the finale episode. I think everyone’s lucky that Vanity didn’t slip in to the finale or there would’ve been blood all over that stage. Give me an “oh my god” once or twice and I can deal with it but don’t push me over the edge. :haha:

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 8:58 AM, Zoey said:

07.  I am wondering when Canada vs. The World is appearing though and I’m hoping it’s your Canadian bias or your overwhelming love for Silky that’s pushed it up a few spots. :giggle:I think it’s Rita, though!

06. I need to watch this but I don’t have WOW and it doesn’t air over here. I’ll have to Primewire it at some point.

05. I think some people only called it boring compared to the first two seasons of the show but it actually stands up against the other shows that aired last year. Fiercalicious absolutely dominating from halfway through the competition had Bimini vibes. Kimmy being constantly iconic and giving us life whenever she was able to perform. Vivian being the sweetest person ever. There were some really great characters but it’s a shame we ended up with that top two and I think I’ll always stand by that. Jaida had absolutely no right to be in the top two and should’ve been booted off wayyyyyyy before the finale. Gisèle had some good moments but I find her runways to be massively overrated next to some of the other queens. I just can’t see her offering us anything similar to the level of what Priyanka and Icesis are post Drag Race but let’s see.

04. Again, I need watch this.

You will find out shortly 😘

You can find link for both somewhere, I am sure - just message Derek :haha: 

I actually agree with you regarding them calling it boring ebcause of S1 and S2. Although I'll disagree with you regarding Gisele as I think she was the rightful winner of the season, and I do think she'll be right up there with Priyanka as one of the better successful post-Drag Race ; Like Rita, people forget that they have an entire market to themselves as French-Canadian - easier to sign deals, and Gisele already came to my city since winning so I think she'll do great things! Linguistic visibility is as important as any other minority and I think her win shows that, especially when we represents roughly 20% of the country. 

CHRIS' RANKING OF THE SEASONS AIRED IN 2022

iconic-rupaul.gif

03. CANADA'S DRAG RACE: CANADA VS. THE WORLD

canadas-drag-race-canada-vs-the-world-101722-1.jpg

Similar to UK vs. The World, I do think the season was a bit too short as well the cast is too small for this - I would love to see them change the format and do a full on All-Stars season. That being said, I absolutely love this season for many reason : I thought the cast was very strong overall, and I really loved the Top 4 as a whole - all of them deserved their spot in the Top 4.  The highlight of the season were definitely seeing some of the queens having improved during their time on the show, queens proving their worth, as well the friendship that developed between the queen especially Silky & Rita, Rita & Anita, Rita & Victoria, and Vanity, Silky & Ra'Jah.  Despite Icesis leaving early, I thought this season was still incredible and it's one of my favourite of the year... I also hope the fanbase listened to what Rita & Silky both had to say about the fanbase - if you dislike someone, please do not go in their DM or on their posts to send them hate and death threat, and especially attacking them for something they have no control over or for their body type ; For example, Rita still has her comment limited on her Instagram posts where only the people she follows can also comment on her posts. Anyway, they edited this out of the episode which is a shame but please watch it: 

02. RUPAUL'S DRAG RACE: ALL STARS 7

rupauls-drag-race-all-stars-7-cast.jpg?w=640

Had they gone with the original format of All Stars, I don’t think that this season would have been what it ended up being. I love seeing the evolution of the queens since winning such as Jinkx and Raja, and some of them proving that they were worthy of the crown such as Jaida, Vivienne, and even Monet & Trinity proving that they can compete against the best of the best despite being co-winners.  The season had some of my favourite runway looks, and easily one of the best Snatch Game performances of all time although I am sure someone will disagree. While the end felt a bit rigged with the random handing out of stars, I am very much pleased with the winner as they solidified their winning status with their Snatch Game and their overall drag.

01. DRAG RACE ESPANA : SEASON 2

drag-race-espana-2-cast.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=646&h=431&crop=1

I know that not a lot of people may have seen this series but it was easily one of the best of the year, and possibly one of my all-time favourite seasons from the runway, the challenges, the cast, the drama, and that TALENT SHOW! If you haven’t watched Drag Race Espana, I recommend you do so as it’s easily one of the best GLOBAL rendition of Drag Race.

Edited by *Chris
  • Like 2

Top 2 is absolutely correct. España 2 was outrageous. For the subtitled seasons, I watch all of them on 1.5x speed except España because the content doesn't need any extra help. Even with me being American and not knowing a lot of the Spanish references, the season was spectacularly entertaining. How can I put this so the Canadians here will understand... think about how good the Canada winners are for season 1 and 2. Priyanka and Icesis. Two of the best queens across the entire franchise. The España winners easily match that. 

• Like 2

Before I do my rankings, I’ll be do a quick ranking of some of my favourite looks of each season - some edition have more than others but only ranking max. 25.

Edited by *Chris

5 hours ago, *Chris said:

Before I do my rankings, I’ll be do a quick ranking of some of my favourite looks of each season - some edition have more than others but only ranking max. 25.

I'll wait to hear from @*Lily and @Zoey, and whoever else commented so far before starting the runway looks.

I'll start runways tomorrow. 

03. It finally showed up. :haha: I think if UKvTW would’ve had more fan favourites then it would’ve been higher for so many people. This season cemented my love for Silky which had been burning since season ten. I think she’s only the second queen to do three different shows and have an upward trajectory each time? I’m not bothered about anyone else. :rofl: This season was just for me to stan her and everyone else was invisible and interchangeable for me. I will say that whilst Rita hasn’t made me a fan - I enjoyed her a lot more this time around and think her drag has evolved immensely. 
02. A powerful season. I didn’t enjoy the blatant rigging to help an underdog secure their place in the final but it was a very good season. Me enjoying Jaida? Who would’ve thought it! I can even tolerate Raja now. Whilst I do think Jinkx was the rightful winner, I hated to see Monet lose when she killed the final lip-sync. My head says Monet won but my heart says Jinkx. I would’ve taken Vivienne in the final lip-sync over Shea as she had far more standout moments throughout the season but I’m also glad she got to show a different audience what she can do. 
01. I haven’t seen it but it’s next on my list now since I’ve heard great things.

Drag Race Espana 2 & All Stars 7 being the Top 2 is just SO correct!

Drag Race Espana producing 2 exceptional winners! Two of the best winners ever for me. S2 was just such a talented cast, I truly loved everyone and their creativity! The US version needs to have that “horror theme” or monsters whatever it was, it was sooo much fun to see!! Amazing lewks as well!

All Stars 7 truly made me fall in love with all the winners even more. Even became a Jaida Stan out of it. Didn’t really love Shea this season though. Jinkx winning was a highlight of 2022 for me.

I would’ve ranked S14 3rd in my personal rankings just because I truly did enjoy that season. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jarmon said:

Drag Race Espana 2 & All Stars 7 being the Top 2 is just SO correct!

Drag Race Espana producing 2 exceptional winners! Two of the best winners ever for me. S2 was just such a talented cast, I truly loved everyone and their creativity! The US version needs to have that “horror theme” or monsters whatever it was, it was sooo much fun to see!! Amazing lewks as well!

All Stars 7 truly made me fall in love with all the winners even more. Even became a Jaida Stan out of it. Didn’t really love Shea this season though. Jinkx winning was a highlight of 2022 for me.

I would’ve ranked S14 3rd in my personal rankings just because I truly did enjoy that season. 

I think all seasons are great to a reason but S14 was just so long, for me, that I grew fatigued from it & not ready to rewatch it. Also there's too many decisions that I disagreed with :haha: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zoey said:

03. It finally showed up. :haha: I think if UKvTW would’ve had more fan favourites then it would’ve been higher for so many people. This season cemented my love for Silky which had been burning since season ten. I think she’s only the second queen to do three different shows and have an upward trajectory each time? I’m not bothered about anyone else. :rofl: This season was just for me to stan her and everyone else was invisible and interchangeable for me. I will say that whilst Rita hasn’t made me a fan - I enjoyed her a lot more this time around and think her drag has evolved immensely. 
02. A powerful season. I didn’t enjoy the blatant rigging to help an underdog secure their place in the final but it was a very good season. Me enjoying Jaida? Who would’ve thought it! I can even tolerate Raja now. Whilst I do think Jinkx was the rightful winner, I hated to see Monet lose when she killed the final lip-sync. My head says Monet won but my heart says Jinkx. I would’ve taken Vivienne in the final lip-sync over Shea as she had far more standout moments throughout the season but I’m also glad she got to show a different audience what she can do. 
01. I haven’t seen it but it’s next on my list now since I’ve heard great things.

Agreed with All Stars 7 ; I went in not being biggest fan of Raja to really appreciating her. 

58 minutes ago, *Chris said:

I think all seasons are great to a reason but S14 was just so long, for me, that I grew fatigued from it & not ready to rewatch it. Also there's too many decisions that I disagreed with :haha: 

Ah, that’s understandable! It was really longgg and the amount of non-elim episodes did make it overkill 

So I am terrible at watching shows with subtitles because I have zero focus level and every year I tell myself how much I need to get out of that habit because I'm missing out on some great international seasons. I finished Espana 1 and loved it, started Espana 2 and didn't finish it but loved what I saw so much. Like how Derek said.. I find Espana is one where you don't need to understand all the references to enjoy it. That talent show is above and beyond one of the best things I've seen on Drag Race.

All-Stars 7 like you mentioned had just a really great, all-around cast. I came out of it with just a greater admiration for all of those queens too. Trinity is a clear example for me as someone who I never really warmed to but thought really shined, but the whole cast was brilliant. It would probably be my top season as a whole as I haven't seen through a lot of the international seasons. Canada vs. The World was an alright season for me. Lost a little momentum at that acting challenge, then the top 2 and lip-sync totally saved the day. Canada season 3 was a little weird for me. I came out of it feeling like I didn't get to know a lot of the queens? Which again, maybe is down to my zero focus level. But other than Fiercalicious, and to an extent Kimmy, the cast just wasn't all that for me... I think Gisele and Jada are clearly two very talented queens but I just left not having much of an opinion about either of them.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 5:03 PM, *Lily said:

So I am terrible at watching shows with subtitles because I have zero focus level and every year I tell myself how much I need to get out of that habit because I'm missing out on some great international seasons. I finished Espana 1 and loved it, started Espana 2 and didn't finish it but loved what I saw so much. Like how Derek said.. I find Espana is one where you don't need to understand all the references to enjoy it. That talent show is above and beyond one of the best things I've seen on Drag Race.

All-Stars 7 like you mentioned had just a really great, all-around cast. I came out of it with just a greater admiration for all of those queens too. Trinity is a clear example for me as someone who I never really warmed to but thought really shined, but the whole cast was brilliant. It would probably be my top season as a whole as I haven't seen through a lot of the international seasons. Canada vs. The World was an alright season for me. Lost a little momentum at that acting challenge, then the top 2 and lip-sync totally saved the day. Canada season 3 was a little weird for me. I came out of it feeling like I didn't get to know a lot of the queens? Which again, maybe is down to my zero focus level. But other than Fiercalicious, and to an extent Kimmy, the cast just wasn't all that for me... I think Gisele and Jada are clearly two very talented queens but I just left not having much of an opinion about either of them.

You're absolutely right regarding Espana ; One of the best version, in my opinion. The talent show episode & runway of that episode? Chef's kiss!

And same with All-Stars 7 for myself... Canada 3, I did enjoy a good amount of the queens and I guess I am more attached to those queens as I'm following more of them on social media and some I knew prior to the show. 

48 minutes ago, *Chris said:

Canada 3, I did enjoy a good amount of the queens and I guess I am more attached to those queens as I'm following more of them on social media and some I knew prior to the show. 

This is how I feel with some UK queens so totally get you here :haha: There are a lot of Canada queens I’d love to see back on a future vs the World season and get to know more! I’ve been waiting for a Tynomi redemption!

(As long as Pangina isn’t there with them)

27 minutes ago, *Lily said:

This is how I feel with some UK queens so totally get you here :haha: There are a lot of Canada queens I’d love to see back on a future vs the World season and get to know more! I’ve been waiting for a Tynomi redemption!

(As long as Pangina isn’t there with them)

I am truly manifesting a Tynomi return and I can sense it especially considering she was at DragCon recently. Or just a Canadian AllStars season with Ty, Pythia, Kimmy and Miss Fiercalicious  - but we know we will have some of the Brat Pack on it.

CHRIS' FAVOURITE RUNWAY LOOKS : UK VS THE WORLD

(Note: I could have had ranked about 35 to 40 looks but decided to highlight my Top 25)

--------------------

25. BAGA CHIPZ - GRAND FINALE ELEGANZA EXTRAVAGANZA

f58c2eba1ca9ee56893526c0fbdc982ddb12f473 

EPISODE: 1.06 (Grand Finale - UK vs The World Season 1)

NOTE: As much as I like Baga Chipz, I have to be honest that she was certainly out of her depth on the season.

While she didn't have many great look on the season, she did manage to impress me with this grand finale look.

--------------------

24. JIMBO - DOT DOT DOT

0f1f55535144ebe583ef4087fb13fdf28f52ec1e

EPISODE: 1.03 (West End Wendys)

NOTE: Jimbo's drag on said season was very hit or miss, for me.
This look was easily my favourite of hers - I like how everything compliments each other.

--------------------

23. JUJUBEE - GRAND FINALE ELEGANZA EXTRAVAGANZA

a194250a81b78b2ec0292f0a985dd58a35d45aed 

EPISODE: 1.06 (Grand Finale - UK vs The World Season 1)

NOTE: Throughout the season, Jujubee struggled to find her mojo and wow me on the runway.
Although a very simple look, she absolutely stunned in this beautiful gown worthy of a coronation.

--------------------

22. MO HEART - DOT DOT DOT

20ad60ee4ba12d79db0510dbb2a2747c4549d860.gifvee1a2914a3f56b1fbbb235849588fb62ee0ac7cf.gifv 

EPISODE: 1.03 (West End Wendys)

NOTE: A look that is worthy of Mike, Sulley, and of course, Boo's approval. 

--------------------

21. BLU HYDRANGEA - BUTCH QUEEN

e72b5cbdaf8eb68e26e75a2d1c6a7b311a24b1a7.gifv e1c4d426aed6c24fb9f2147de30ca001036f86ba.gifv

EPISODE: 1.02 (RuPaul Ball)

NOTE: Blu certainly delivered the RuPaul ball, however, this is the look that caught my attention.

She was able to turn her butch queen look into an high fashion look, while still making it look like drag.

You had me nervous initially because I thought this was your top 25 looks of all franchises and I had no idea how Baga ended up there..

I like these looks though. Blu’s was fun. A shame that Juju took so long to really shine on the runway but I’m glad she eventually got there

25. At least Baga made someone’s list which was unexpected. I understand why people don’t like or get her style of drag but I love it. I think her looks were much more elevated during UKvsTW and she definitely sold them. I loved this look and her Irish one.

24. I never understood what this was meant to be. If I understood the concept more then I would probably enjoy it

23. This is nice but Jujubee really disappointed me during the season and I find it hard to get excited about anything she brought to the table.

22. Mo’s runways are usually stellar but this was too art and crafts for me. I love the neck up but the rest I didn’t love.

21. Blu is so underrated and forgotten about by so many people. I think she delivered on the runway every single week during UK1 and UKvsTW. I loved this.

I’m hoping to see

Lemon - entrance look

Janey - I’m A Winner Baby

Mo - I’m A Winner Baby

Baga - Kitty Girl

Blu - Kitty Girl

Pangina - Kitty Girl

Blu - Dot Dot Dot

Baga - Luck Be A Lady

Blu - Luck Be A Lady

Janey - Luck Be A Lady

Blu - Werk of Art

Jujubee - Werk of Art

Janey - Finale

Lemon - Finale (Like you’d not include this :giggle:)

Blu - Finale

Blu - Final lip-sync 2

Mo - Finale lip-sync 1

13 minutes ago, *Lily said:

You had me nervous initially because I thought this was your top 25 looks of all franchises and I had no idea how Baga ended up there..

I like these looks though. Blu’s was fun. A shame that Juju took so long to really shine on the runway but I’m glad she eventually got there

Take that back! You’re the only other Baga fan on here and I can’t be alone. :dead:

1 hour ago, *Lily said:

I had difficulty ranking some of the looks per franchise so I doubt I could have done 25 or 50 from all franchise :haha: 

Your shade though :dead: 

Edited by *Chris
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Zoey said:

25. At least Baga made someone’s list which was unexpected. I understand why people don’t like or get her style of drag but I love it. I think her looks were much more elevated during UKvsTW and she definitely sold them. I loved this look and her Irish one.

24. I never understood what this was meant to be. If I understood the concept more then I would probably enjoy it

23. This is nice but Jujubee really disappointed me during the season and I find it hard to get excited about anything she brought to the table.

22. Mo’s runways are usually stellar but this was too art and crafts for me. I love the neck up but the rest I didn’t love.

21. Blu is so underrated and forgotten about by so many people. I think she delivered on the runway every single week during UK1 and UKvsTW. I loved this.

I’m hoping to see

Lemon - entrance look

Janey - I’m A Winner Baby

Mo - I’m A Winner Baby

Baga - Kitty Girl

Blu - Kitty Girl

Pangina - Kitty Girl

Blu - Dot Dot Dot

Baga - Luck Be A Lady

Blu - Luck Be A Lady

Janey - Luck Be A Lady

Blu - Werk of Art

Jujubee - Werk of Art

Janey - Finale

Lemon - Finale (Like you’d not include this :giggle:)

Blu - Finale

Blu - Final lip-sync 2

Mo - Finale lip-sync 1

I am not a Baga hater 😛 ; During her first season, I was one of the most vocal fans of hers on IDF. 

Agreed about Jujubee and Blu!

Oh, I didn’t include any of the entrance or lip sync look - I’ll probably do a ranking of all my favourite entrance look from the entire franchise.