21 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One

• Josh West vs. Nala Price - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
    • Aaliyah Rose vs. Savannah Leighton - Treat You Better
    • Andrea Thomas vs. Micah Tryba - What Hurts the Most
    • Enid Ortiz vs. Valerie Ponzio - Love Triangle
    • Troy Ramey vs. Josie Bernadette - Angel Eyes
    • Hanna Eyre vs. Sheena Brook - Try

The S12 montaged battles were so iconic, NBC actually uploaded all of them in full on the YouTube channel, which is basically unheard of apart from some of the earlier season performances + Berritt Haynes's KO for some reason. Which one is your favorite?

Aaliyah and Savannah - definitely okay with a montage

Andrea and Micah - snooze fest

Troy and Jozy - cannot remember that one

Enid and Valerie - love that one, can see where a one chair beat a four chair 

Hanna and Sheena - very good, love Hanna and Sheena was great

Josh and Nala - my favorite, love this battle and would have loved to hear a KO from Nala

42 minutes ago, FeliciaTempleFan said:

Josh and Nala - my favorite, love this battle and would have loved to hear a KO from Nala

Totally agree that Nala deserved to go farther. Her improvement from the auditions was so impressive, and I feel like she slightly edged out Josh. I wonder what the other coaches said in their comments, as it seemed like they all might've preferred Nala based on their reactions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ikwonic said:

Totally agree that Nala deserved to go farther. Her improvement from the auditions was so impressive, and I feel like she slightly edged out Josh. I wonder what the other coaches said in their comments, as it seemed like they all might've preferred Nala based on their reactions.

Yes, I especially remember Blakes "Whoa!  Yeah!" when she had her big moment in the battle, Josh held back at some points but Nala let go and gave it her all, I just wanted to see if her KO would live up to how she slayed in the battles!

• Like 1

Enid killed it on her battle. I´m surprised they montaged it considering her underdog story and result (A 1 chair beating a 4 chair). 

And I wonder what happened with TPTB that season, suddenly deciding to show some support to the contestants by releasing these battles on YT? Sadly it was a one and done situation.

1 hour ago, Misirlou said:

Enid killed it on her battle. I´m surprised they montaged it considering her underdog story and result (A 1 chair beating a 4 chair). 

And I wonder what happened with TPTB that season, suddenly deciding to show some support to the contestants by releasing these battles on YT? Sadly it was a one and done situation.

Yeah I'm really curious as to why they uploaded the full videos as well. Literally the only explanation I can think of is that the montaged performances were SO good, unlike most seasons when montages are mostly just for weaker performances, but I know that's pretty subjective and probably not the real reason.

I don't necessarily want to get my hopes up, but uploading Berrit and Peedy's full KOs when both were montaged/shortclipped on TV could be a step in the right direction.

I always find myself going back to watch Andrea and Micah.

As for the montage as, I think that season was really trying to focus on those who ultimately made the top twenty.  Many of the people in those pairings did not make it to the Playoffs, so it made sense not to get the audience invested in them.  Thus, montages.  For example, Andrea and Enid did win their Battles, but were eliminated after the knockouts.  Typically, those contestants are the ones who get montaged in the Battles.  So in that sense, they montaged the right two Battles for Blake.

Then again, Hanna, Josh, Aaliyah, and Troy did make the Playoffs, so . . . I think the editors were in a tough spot there for Gwen and that man's Battles.  Whose Battles on their teams could you have believably sacrificed for the actual montages?  Probably Kawan vs. Malik, given the mess it was, but that's all.  All four of Gwen's battles that were aired had strong reasons to be aired.  (Caroline vs. Stephanie and Brandon vs. Davina were steal Battles, Johnny's journey needed to be shown since he was a Comeback, and before she stole Brennley and Hunter, Gwen was clearly planning on JChosen bring her frontrunner.)  So . . . Aaliyah and Troy had to be sacrificed, apparently.

Too long, don't read.  But that's my logic for why these particular Battles were montaged.