SYTYCD Worldwide Rankdown

FrogLenzen

Derek Watches NL5

Top 10

• Davinia/Delano - Lyrical Hip Hop - Girl On Fire: a lyrical hip hop routine with no story done to a bad song by two dancers out of their style…
  • Eliane/Frederic - Jazz - One Day: I liked this! Really captivating choreo with the chairs that didn’t seem like a gimmick the whole time
  • Vita/Arno - Tango - Assassin’s Tango: this was bad. There was no intensity or strength or danger. Vita deserved better than Arno for something like this.
  • Vivian/Remy - Modern - Your Song: cute, airy. not the most intricate, but the choreo matched the song.
  • Kalila/Denden - Hip Hop - Don’t You Worry Child: crisp, clean, powerful, great. Would I have loved to see these two dance to something super hype instead? possibly
  • Group - Turn Around: Am I supposed to know who Conor Maynard is??? Why is this random white boy yelling a song way out of his vocal range??? Imagine the insane series of events that had to happen to lead to this person standing on this stage
  • Solos
    • Davinia: fine
    • Delano: not bad
    • Eliane: remember last week when I said she needed more eye contact for this show? crushed it. Also this is another perfect song choice from her
    • Frederic: what is happening here
    • Vita: a little odd but decent
    • Arno: you can tell that he’s dancing at the very limit of his ability and tbh that’s the point of these solos so good for him.
    • Vivian: confidence, ability, commitment.
    • Remy: fine
    • Kalila: boom
    • Denden: I love him
  • Eliminated
    • Eliane: noooooo Davinia is right there. Also Eliane had the best routine of the night oop
    • Remy: Arno had a much worse duet but probably a better solo. I think Remy lacked some excitement so I’m not surprised

6 hours ago, totes4totes said:

Can’t wait for her to get her Oscar nom for West Side Story and for Nigel to have to pretend he didn’t boot her first 

LMAO we all know darn well Nigel is going to take credit for Ariana DeBose. just like how Idol takes credit for Tori Kelly, despite her not even being a semi-finalist. :dead: 

Oooh yayy Derek watching NL5. 😮 That's the only NL season I've properly watched in full, although I've seen some dances from other seasons.

LMAO the Conor Maynard comment. :dead: Wow I forgot he was kinda a popular up-and-coming artist at around some years ago. Forgot all about him until now, lol.

11 hours ago, *Wallace said:

LMAO we all know darn well Nigel is going to take credit for Ariana DeBose. just like how Idol takes credit for Tori Kelly, despite her not even being a semi-finalist. :dead: 

Considering Idol wanted Tori in the Top 24 and she's the reason she wasn't there, I think they can take credit. 😘

Just now, Elliott said:

Considering Idol wanted Tori in the Top 24 and she's the reason she wasn't there, I think they can take credit. 😘

It's the anti-masker who has You Sang that they repeatedly try and take credit for that I'm like "...sure Jan."

Derek Watches NL5

Top 8

• Solos
    • Kalila: smashed it, cheeks out. to Rihanna. when will your fave
    • Arno: This sonofabitch. I keep expecting to hate his solos, but they actually get better and better
    • Vita: everyone is bringing it tonight!!!
    • Delano: oh, well this was fine
    • Davinia: sure
    • Denden: cheeky
    • Vivian: I can’t figure out who she reminds me of
    • Frederic: well that was a huge step up for him
  • Kalila/Arno - Hip Hop - ET: just for the record, I have no objection to them giving Kalila Hip Hop every single week lol. And for a tall contemporary boy Arno is actually not failing at this
  • Vita/Delano - Modern - Back to Black: werk. At first it seemed like he wasn’t going to be able to hang, but he recovered and this was good.
  • Davinia/Denden - Paso Doble - Introduction: whoa this was exciting. Why doesn’t Dan like this? go away Dan
  • Vivian/Frederic - Contemporary - Nobody’s Perfect: this was just on another level to almost everything else this season. suddenly it’s not a mystery why these end up as the top 2.
  • Group - Come Together: Who is Kane? The camera could not decide what to look at for this.
  • Eliminated
    • Vita: aw darn. I mean Davinia did great in the duet so I guess I'll live.
    • Arno: the Top 4 is pretty obvious. But this elimination could have easily been Davinia and Delano and it wouldn’t make much of a difference.

I would just post the next round since we all know what is coming, but I get the feeling that there may be some candidates for saves still left in the missing write-ups.

237. Miguel Pereira Carneiro (NL6)

246. Janick Arseneau (CA3)

261. Ezra Sosa (US16)

272. Amy Gardner (CA2)

277. Delano Spenrath (NL5)

286. Geisha Chin (CA4)

@sublymonal

253. Ilona Bekier (PO5)

293. Michal Pawlowski (PO3)

@Elliott

237. Miguel Pereira Carneiro (NL6)

Miguel placed in the Top 6 for the Netherlands 6th season. He was a hip-hop dancer. He started the season partnered with ballet dancer Tugba. They danced a Modern at the Top 18, a Quickstep at the Top 16, a Hip-hop at the Top 14, and a a Jazz at the Top 12 and were safe every week, so it was clear that they were pretty popular as a couple. At the Top 10, Miguel danced a hip-hop with Jazz dancer Rowan. She was eliminated after it, but he was safe. At the Top 8, he danced a Jazz routine with Modern dancer Ellen. They were both safe. Then, at the Top 6, he danced a Modern and Paso Doble with Modern dancer and eventual runner up. She was safe, but Miguel was eliminated. I didn’t really have much of an attachment to Miguel, but he was a good dancer, so I think this is a far placement for him, all things considered.

246. Janick Arseneau (CA3)

janick-arseneau-danse.png?w=940&ssl=1

Janick placed 4th for Canada’s 3rd season. She was a contemporary dancer. She started the season partnered with hip-hop dancer Shavar. They danced an Afro Jazz at the Top 22, a Krump routine at the Top 20, a Hip-Hop at the Top 18 and a Contemporary at the Top 16 and were safe every week, which was probably why the producers made the decision to switch the couples at the Top 14 because they were determined to eliminate Shavar and Kloe. As a result, Janick was paired with contemporary dancer Jeff Mortensen and they danced a Hip-hop routine. The next week, the couples switched again and Janick danced a Paso Doble with ballroom-contemporary dancer and eventual winner Denys Drozdyuk. At the Top 10, she was back with Jeff and they danced a Jazz-Funk routine (“Come On Girl”) which stands the test of time as one of my least favourite routines to ever be on the show. The week after, she danced the only routine of her’s that I liked, a hip-hop with contemporary dancer Mackenzie Green to “Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See”. However, this routine preceded the horrendous double elimination that season where Janick survived due to the East Coast voting block and made the Top 4. In the finale, she danced a Contemporary with Denys and another Jazz-Funk with Jeff. She then placed 4th. Of course that season’s finale was the first time I ever got to see a live SYTYCD show and I hated 3 of the 4 finalists. 

261. Ezra Sosa (US16)

aec8e2b1c7edefa85fe71c5c533e510c277f60b635df6f236634c0d689a83008_1.jpg

This wasn’t a cut I wanted to make, but the choice was between him and Clarice Ordaz, so I made the tough choice. That being said, I love Ezra and I’m so glad to see him finding success on DWTS now. As we all know, Ezra was a ballroom dancer on the 16th American Season. He auditioned with his sister Stephanie and both of them ended up making the finals that season. Ezra was partnered with contemporary dancer Madison Jordan. At the Top 10, the two of them dancer a Talia Favia contemporary routine that was gorgeous. In the second week of the Top 10, they danced a Ray Leeper Jazz routine that wasn’t as good, but still pretty solid. Ezra was in the bottom after their first two routines, but was saved. At the Top 8, danced a Randi & Hef Hip-hop. Again, it wasn’t bad, but both of them were in the bottom, but both saved. At the Top 6, Ezra danced another beautiful contemporary routine with Season 12 winner Gaby Diaz, choreographed by Season 7’s Robert Roldan. He then danced a disco routine with Madison that was… less good. They were eliminated afterwards, which wasn’t a surprise considering Ezra had been in the bottom every week thus far, but I was still hoping he’d make the finale with Gino. Anyway, I wish I could have saved him, but didn’t really have a choice so at least I got to give him a good write-up. 

272. Amy Gardner (CA2)

gardner_amy_ss.jpg?itok=k7XuPIn6

Amy Gardner is the definition of a bland blonde female contemporary dancer. She was on Canada’s second season and started the season partnered with Vincent Desjardins, who deserved better and was clearly more popular than her, as evidence by the fact that she was eliminated at the Top 10, as soon as they were separated. Together, they danced a Samba at the Top 20, a Contemporary at the Top 18, a Hip-hop at the Top 16, a Cha-cha at the Top 14, and a Jive at the Top 12. They were safe after the Contemporary and Jive, but in the bottom after all of their other routines. At the Top 10, Amy was partnered with hip-hop dancer Cody Bonnell and the two of them danced a Contemporary routine which sealed her fate, finally, since she was clearly the weakest woman in that Top 10. I don’t have much else to say about her so I’ll end her write up here.

277. Delano Spenrath (NL5)

Delano is a hip-hop dancer who placed in the Top 6 on the Netherlands’ 5th season. I didn’t really mind his placement, since Frederic and Denden were my two favourite guys that season, so I was fine to see him go out then. Delano started the season partnered with hip-hop dancer Kalila, who I also liked. Together they danced a hip-hop at the Top 18, a modern at the Top 16, a Jive at the Top 14 and a Jazz at the Top 12. They were in the bottom after the Jive but, obviously, were saved. At the Top 10, Delano was partnered with Davinia for a lyrical hip-hop. They were both safe, then at the Top 8, Delano danced a Paso Doble with Vita. She was eliminated, but he was safe and reunited with Kalila at the Top 6 for a Modern and a Cha-cha. In the end, it was those two routines that spelled the end with him. Despite that, I liked him and Kalila’s partnership and thought he held his own for being a hip-hop dancer.

286. Geisha Chin (CA4)

Geisha was a contemporary dancer that placed 12thon Canada’s 4th season. To be fair, unlike Amy Gardner on the second season, I blame Geisha’s lacklustre run on the choreography that season. In Week 1 (Top 22), she was partnered with contemporary dancer Adam Asselin-Rioux and the pair danced a new style called “New Disco”. It was… something alright. Probably unsurprisingly, they were in the bottom that week and Adam was eliminated, but Geisha was saved. In Week 2 (Top 20), she was partnered with ballroom dancer Francois Pruneau and they danced a Hip-hop routine that I did not like at all, but somehow they were safe after it. In Week 3 (Top 18), she danced a Jazz routine with Adam LoPapa. I actually didn’t hate this routine, but they were in the bottom after it.  Then, in Week 4 (Top 16), she danced a House routine with hip-hop dancer JP and they were safe. In Week 5 (Top 14), she danced a Contemporary routine with contemporary dancer Joey Arrigo. They both did well, since it was their style and were safe again. Then, in Week 6 (Top 12), she danced an Afro Jazz with Joey again and the two of them were eliminated right before the Top 10 which seemed long overdue since it was clear the judges saw her as fodder. I thought she had a couple good routines though, but she wasn’t one of my favourites that season by any means.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Elliott said:

Ooh. I thought it was part of Simon's ploy to ruin Season 9 as much as possible. :dead: 

They also try to take credit for Lauren Diagle and Jimmie Allen too. :haha: 

11 hours ago, Elliott said:

It's the anti-masker who has You Sang that they repeatedly try and take credit for that I'm like "...sure Jan."

Oooh just saw this and lol, think you're talking about Lauren Diagle there. But yes so true. :haha: 

18 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Ooh. I thought it was part of Simon's ploy to ruin Season 9 as much as possible. :dead: 

They also try to take credit for Lauren Diagle and Jimmie Allen too. :haha: 

No, Tori Kelly was supposed to be in the Top 24 for S9 but she disagreed with the contract for the live shows so she refused to sign and thus they had to eliminate her. :haha:

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Elliott said:

No, Tori Kelly was supposed to be in the Top 24 for S9 but she disagreed with the contract for the live shows so she refused to sign and thus they had to eliminate her. :haha:

Oooh okay, thanks for this. I didn't know that was the case.

Emily James (US11)

Emily was a contemporary dancer during the show’s 11th season. She fell victim to the dreaded double elimination that season along with her partner Teddy and Serge and Carly. The four of them were some of my favourites so that week of eliminations didn’t make me like that season any more than I had been. But alas, Emily was partnered with Teddy but during the Week 1 showcase she danced a Contemporary routine with C*sey Ask*w. It was okay, but certainly not what made me take notice of her. It was actually her solo after landing in the bottom 6 with Teddy after dancing a hip-hop routine that made me start to like her. They were both saved then, at the Top 18, they danced my favourite routine of theirs, a contemporary routine to Ne Me Quitte Pas. Their post-show interviews were also my favourite because you could tell they were good friends and always laughed hysterically through the whole thing. At the Top 16, their routine was less of a standout, when they danced a salsa, but Emily’s contemporary group routine choreographed by Sonya Tayeh was great. Then, at the Top 14, her and Teddy danced a broadway routine and were cut in favour of Jessica Richens and C*sey Ask*w. Truly a tragedy. Emily deserved better but this is probably a fair spot to cut her based on who is left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Derek Watches NL5

Top 6

• Kalila/Delano - Cha Cha - Don’t Cha: ugh no fair, why is he back with Kalila. This is why Vita should have survived Top 8, so we could have Kalila/Frederic, Vita/Denden, Vivian/Delano instead of repeat partnerships. That being said, I kinda enjoyed this a lot lmao. Oop Dan didn’t, oh well. I think he just hates any ballroom/latin tbh
  • Davinia/Frederic - Modern - Je Suis Malade: hmm not sure how I felt. It had good moments but I’d rather see Denden do this. And Vivian or Vita. Not the best duet for Freddy to get after his Top 8 week.
  • Vivian/Denden - Hip Hop - Scream & Shout: “Be Gay for a Day.” Stefano’s influence still being felt lol. Anyway, this routine is certainly a thing that happened.
  • Davinia/Frederic - V. Waltz - Three Days in a Row: not groundbreaking. Not a disaster.
  • Kalila/Delano - Modern - Have a Little Faith: interesting choreo, solid execution. Better than I expected
  • Vivian/Denden - Jazz - Need You Now: Yaaaaaaaay I was hoping we would have a Top 6 Moment. Denden has no business being that good in the unison sections haha
  • Group - Beneath Your Beautiful: thank goodness we’ve left behind the random musical artists. loved this
  • Eliminated
    • Davinia: duh
    • Delano: duh