American Idol S19 ● Auditions 4 ● Discussion

istersay

Tonight's episode was hard to watch. "Bean" did one of the best performances this year, singing and stylistically, and he got rejected because he "wasn't right" for American Idol. Katie said it later to another contestant: that he had to be more "mainstream," in other words a "pop star." They put through a girl who yelled, was off key and had no vibrato and a country singer who was all gravel and no skill just because he could "tell a story." I thought this was about singing, not storytime. And then Katie bashes someone who dared sing one of her songs, calling her "hollow" and "all frosting," presumably out of jealousy. I had stopped watching Idol because of these kinds of things, but began again because I was touched by the stories and because these judges, generally speaking, have heart, more so than previous judges. They just don't have range, or the ability to step outside their own personal and musical preferences. Who goes through and who doesn't ends up being a crap shoot based on their back stories and whim.

Edited by satyre