Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

ALANIS MORISSETTE RESULTS PART TWO

18. I Was Hoping (1998 prod. by Glen Ballard + Alanis Morissette, written by Alanis Morissette)

Album: Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie

Alanis_Morissette_-_Supposed_Former_Infa

US Billboard 200: #1

Canadian Albums Chart: #2

United States Album Certification (RIAA): 2x Platinum

Canadian Album Certification (Music Canada): 4x Platinum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supposed_Former_Infatuation_Junkie

RANKINGS

Dee: 18

Elliott: 13

Derek: 8

Megan: 16

Rei: 13

Tom: 21

Andy: 17
Wally: 13

Victoria: 19

Chris: 19

Kaley: 13

Public: 14

Final Average = 15.333

COMMENTS

I Was Hoping is very heavy lyrically, and Alanis has the talent to pull it off! However, this is not my favorite song from SFIJ and I think a lot of why that is has to do with the tempo of the song.  The rhythm is so weird, but admittedly very unique. I actually prefer the unplugged performance of this song!

23 hours ago, Elliott said:

Another beautifully haunting track from the superb Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie, I Was Hoping is a highlight of Alanis's discography for me. After a slow build, the chorus hits on the guitar riffs that I really liked. Overall, it's a great song and I'm glad to see it represented in the final vote.

On 7/15/2020 at 10:44 PM, *Chris said:

Not my favourite song from Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie but I still enjoy the song.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:08 PM, *Wallace said:

The song I advanced through per Elliott suggestion. This has a really cool and hypnotic vibe to it which is very cool.

On 7/16/2020 at 12:57 AM, ~*8Kay8*~ said:

I’ll be honest, I didn’t know this song well at all before this ranking, but I really liked it the first time I listened. It’s got a very different sound. It probably would have wound up higher if I had an attachment to it like some of the others.

On 7/15/2020 at 1:27 PM, .Rei said:

Haunting. Pretty great. 4.4/5

On 7/15/2020 at 7:08 PM, ~Tom~ said:

The most forgettable of the 21 for me unfortunately. 

17. Everything (2004 prod. by Alanis Morissette + John Shanks + Tim Thorney, written by Alanis Morissette)

Album: So-Called Chaos

NaughtyCaringIlladopsis-small.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #76 (Single)

Canadian Charts (Nielsen SoundScan): #3 (Single)

US Billboard 200: #5 (Album)

Canadian Albums (Billboard): #2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_(Alanis_Morissette_song)

RANKINGS

Dee: 17

Elliott: 8

Derek: 17

Megan: 20

Rei: 10

Tom: 20

Andy: 18
Wally: 18

Victoria: 13

Chris: 4

Kaley: 12

Public: 7

Final Average = 13.667

COMMENTS

Clerks II introduced me to this gem of a song! While not my favorite song of hers, I think it is incredibly underrated. A beautiful message of love and acceptance despite being a flawed individual. Very touching song and I am happy to see it in the finals because it's super good.

23 hours ago, Elliott said:

I originally had this song ranked much higher which is probably from how much I was fighting for it to be included in the final vote, but when I was working on my rankings, I realized I should drop it a few spots lower. Everything is probably Alanis' most "radio-friendly" song, as it's just a love ballad pop song. It's probably not even the best song from that album, but I've always connected to it, especially more so as I've gotten older. So-Called Chaos in general I find a very underrated album, and I think people were sour on it because - written during her engagement to Ryan Reynolds - of how happy the songs sound on it. But I liked the music video, the song itself was in Clerks II (and I love the View Askewniverse movies except for Chasing Amy that I'd probably consider Clerks my all-time favourite movie), and it was the Alanis song I had chosen to play during the dinner hour at my wedding, so I'm glad that I was able to get it into the final vote - even if it meant losing Guardian, a song I also like! Why did we have to have Wunderkind in this Top 21 over the songs I've mourned losing, again?

Shocker to everyone as I really love Everything but I had to vote for it to give “Guardian” a fighting chance, even though I prefer Everything to the latter. Anyway, this is one of her songs that I remember hearing a lot as a kid & that music video was playing everywhere - the music video is iconic, in my opinion, as it’s one of the most recognizable videos of hers. 

I kinda remember this? Not too well but I remember the music video more than the actual song. This song didn’t do much for me when it was out. I think i need more listens to it for it to grow on me but it’s nice.

This is a really sweet song. I love the lyrics and feel like they are so relatable.

I love this and is another favorite of mine from hers. 4.5/5

Didn't grab my attention as much as the others, hence why I voted to eliminate it unfortunately. 

16. Smiling (2020 prod. by Alex Hope, written by Alanis Morissette + Michael Farrell)

Album: Such Pretty Forks in the Road

Alanis_Morissette_-_Such_Pretty_Forks_in

US Rock Digital Song Sales (Billboard): #4 (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiling_(song)

RANKINGS

Dee: 20

Elliott: 20

Derek: 6

Megan: 19

Rei: 19

Tom: 11

Andy: 11
Wally: 15

Victoria: 20

Chris: 3

Kaley: 19

Public: 21

Final Average = 13.143

COMMENTS

Super emotional and sonically very haunting. This sounds like the Alanis of old, which makes me very excited for her upcoming album. A song about being exhausted from the struggles of life, a song about surrendering but also choosing to continue on in life. Super relatable and great work.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:36 PM, Elliott said:

Originally written for Jagged Little Pill: The Musical, Smiling is included on her upcoming album, Such Pretty Forks in the Road. I'm trying to hold off on listening to clips from it until it's released, so this is a default ranking as I've only heard it a couple of times.

Not sure if this song is in my all-time Top 3 but I am giving it a high ranking to ensure it that it’s not last or in the Bottom 3 - but knowing my luck, it will show up early. Anyway, this song, I’ve been in love ever since the release of Jagged Little Pill: Musical’s soundtrack where Elizabeth Stanley delivers a beautiful rendition. Never thought I would hear Alanis officially release this song but I am glad she did - her voice sounds so good on it, and I love the lyrics & melody of the song; Alanis showing that she still has it after all these years.

Prettty

Another one winding up low on my list because I’m not as familiar with it.

Great song. 3.9/5

I don't remember hearing this one before this game but really liked it! I struggled where to rank it, but the middle seems like a fitting place. 

Edited by Deeee

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

The most surprising thing about this has been finding out Dee watches Kevin Smith's movies.

I have many secrets! I have seen all of his films.

Also @Deeee, Everything didn't come out in 1995. :dead:

Fixed LOL.

Just now, Deeee said:

I have many secrets! I have seen all of his films.

why have you never discussed this with me????? A good chunk of the View Askewniverse films rank among my all-time favourites!

why have you never discussed this with me????? A good chunk of the View Askewniverse films rank among my all-time favourites!

I never knew you loved the films! Chasing Amy is of course my fave.

Just now, 1234567890 said:

I am assuming this was for Jagged Little Pill? :haha:

Yeah, JLP is her only album to be 16x platinum in the states.

Which isn't even the most certified album in the states by a Canadian female artist. :shiftywave:

• Like 1