What Not To Sing (WNTS) Discussion

m1key

6 hours ago, Elliott said:

I didn't either. It sounded flat for most of it, and she was one the few (alongside Arthur and Jonny) who I thought did better last week. I will say it sounded a bit better when I rewatched the performances after the show to figure out my ratings, but she still sounded off for most of it to me.

My sentiments exactly. It was not terrible but about 3/5 stars is where it should be.

Julia at a 79. Just Sam at a 69. Makayla in the 60's now. Francisco falls a bit (Jonny is higher than him now for 4th. Don't know if it was like that before).

Grace now has the highest standard deviation

Edited by joe14

Wow, that was some huge movement. When I was commenting on potential perfect games, I took into account the possibility of Jonny reaching 50. I didn't expect Grace to nearly make it there!

2 hours ago, joe14 said:

Francisco falls a bit (Jonny is higher than him now for 4th. Don't know if it was like that before).

It wasn't. Not even close. Francisco was in fourth, Sophia was in 5th, and I don't remember what Jovin's score was then but Jonny was behind what it is now. (He's also behind what Grace's score is now, but I know for a fact that her score jumped up considerably as well.)

Edit: Scratch that, I do remember. When the preliminary rankings went up, I posted that if CSAB took a Top 11 instead of a Top 10 like we expect them to (due to the fact that this was called a "save" rather than a "wild card"), Jonny would be in a tight battle with the projected rating of Kimmy Gabriela for the seventh spot (probably; the database lists a tie for 11th place in the Top 20, between Cyniah and Just Sam. If Cyniah were to get that 11th spot, it's a moot point because she gets eliminated; if it's Just Sam, her real ranking is easily safe.) So yes, he was absolutely...oh, wait, Jovin's the other real Top 11 contestant not in the CSAB Top Ten, along with Sam and Louis. Ah, well, I'm still fairly certain he was in seventh.

... Wait... if Jonny at 48 was in a dogfight for the seventh spot...lemme just check some past CSABs...

YES! YES! Contestants who went 1 and done with a 53 had a 48 as their first projected rating, and that seems pretty solid; a two-and-out with a 52.5 average got a 47 for their first. In fact, let me just make sure there's wiggle room... Done. Season 8, a contestant with a 54 in their lone real performance advanced and was given a 48 as their first projected rating. Which means Grace is still alive! She edges out Kimmy Gabriela's projected rating by one point for the seventh slot. (Assuming a Top 10 rather than a Top 11, that is, or alternatively a Top 11 where Cyniah's 49 was fractionally better than Just Sam's 49.) I'm so happy, my country queen is here to stay. 

Edited by ScarletDevilCCX

8 hours ago, ScarletDevilCCX said:

Wow, that was some huge movement. When I was commenting on potential perfect games, I took into account the possibility of Jonny reaching 50. I didn't expect Grace to nearly make it there!

They aren’t honouring any perfect games this year owing to the format.

At the moment Amazing Grace doesn't have an age listed.  They might not have decided how to handle it either it seems.

I was going to reference Swing Low Sweet Chariot (although it doesn't have the semi-original factor), but I notice that's not actually the oldest song.  It Had To Be You is 2 years older.

For "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot", the date they gave was not the date the song was written but the date of one of the most iconic early recorded versions (Paul Robeson).

I guess for "Amazing Grace" if they did something similar they might set it as 1947 (Mahalia Jackson)?  

Nick mentioned that it felt like an original song which happened to use parts of Amazing Grace, so I think they'll treat it as such.

Also it has an sd of 24 but Louis' second song is higher, and Francisco's second song will be over 80.  Which is basically like a 90+ this year.

Julia has I believe the 6th largest drop in score between consecutive performances at 58 points, behind  Tamyra (Top 5-4, 73 points), Jasmine (Top 12-11, 66 points), Justin (Top 4 round 1-2, 65), Jordin (Top 6i-6ii, 65 points), and Blake (Top 6ii-4, 64 points).  With the adjustment, there's a good chance she ends up at the second highest drop ever, since they're the second highest and lowest performances of the season.  Probably nobody will ever beat Tamyra.

You could throw James Durbin in there at 67.  It kinda doesn't count, since the second performance was a duet, but it WAS in the same episode like Justin.

12 minutes ago, kamil24 said:

damn I didn't realize Julia just got one of the lowest scores of the season  :haha: Have we had anyone in past seasons get a performance in both the Top & bottom 10 of the season?

Off the top of my head, I think Jordin Sparks?

Yeah She had I Who Have Nothing at an 86 and Livin on a Prayer at 15

Edited by joe14

33 minutes ago, kamil24 said:

damn I didn't realize Julia just got one of the lowest scores of the season  :haha: Have we had anyone in past seasons get a performance in both the Top & bottom 10 of the season?

S1- Justin (Tamyra came within 2 points)

S2- Clay

S3- Jasmine

S4- Nobody

S5- Katharine

S6- Jordin (Blake came within 2 points))

S7- Jason, Brooke (Archie came within 2 points)

S8- Nobody (Matt came within 1 point)

S9- Nobody (Top 10 was almost all Crystal)

S10- Jacob

S11- Joshua, Jessica (to be fair, Joshua's was a duet and Jessica's low was 24, which is way above the 10th worst of most seasons)

S12- Nobody (Top 10 was almost all Candice)

S13- Caleb, Jessica (Jessica's was a duet)

S14- Nobody (Kinda hard when Seavey took half the Bottom spots by himself, Clark was within 3 points)

S15- Nobody (Top 10 was La'Trent with one Sonika performance)

S16- Catie (Caleb and Cade were within 1 point at the top)

S17- Alejandro (on a duet, Laci came within 3 points)

S18- Julia (Both her high and low wouldn't make the lists in most seasons though)

Jacob and Jasmine are the only ones on both the all-time Top and Bottom 100.  Jacob's the only person to ever score both a single digit and a 90+ (7 and 90 on the dot).

Look at all those Top 3 finishers.  Kinda funny

Edited by muse273

12 hours ago, Elliott said:

I constantly forget Justin has a performance in the Top 10 on S1. :haha:

It’s kinda overshadowed by all the other debaclery of that episode. He even proto-McPhee’d the episode, but nobody remembers because of Tamyra, Nikki, maybe Kelly’s worst performance (which I’d actually say was I Surrender)

On 5/11/2020 at 12:45 AM, Elliott said:

Ratings are up!

Francisco and Dillon are the only two to get both performances above 50, and Louis is the only one to not get either performance above 50.

Oof. Well, at least they've got the right contestant with the lone 1-star performance of the night... but the wrong performance imo. I wasn't a fan of the arrangement on CYFTLT, but I thought the singing was just fine, whereas YGAF was just plain bad; I rated it over a full star behind even the second-worst performance, allowing Louis to still be in last place overall on my ballot despite both of Sam's performances grading out as thoroughly mediocre for me.

I also agree that on the whole, Round 2 was better, and also that Dillon was #1 on the night.

Edited by ScarletDevilCCX

Also, as strange as it seems given that we now know we're getting a five-person finale, the CSAB champion seems all but decided, as only one of the Top Seven will be there and it would take a pretty big collapse to lose out to someone who already had to use projected ratings in Top 7. The current ratings would eliminate Jonny and Julia regardless of whether we had a Top 10 or a Top 11, so the only way we get a second member of the real Top 7 into our CSAB top 5 is if we get a Top 11 and Just Sam manages to eke out 11th place in the Top 20 show over Cyniah. Otherwise, it's Francisco, Makayla, Lauren, Sophia, and Grace.

Or is that Francisco, Lauren, Makayla, Sophia, and Grace? Lauren's performance ticked up to a 65 when we weren't looking, which means her first projected rating looks to be a 59--which happens to be Makayla's contestant average. Which means that if Francisco somehow messes up (fairly inconceivable as even if there is a reprise round, Lauren's 3-song average for the finale should be under 45), I'm not entirely sure who wins. Either way it looks like Lauren S-S is going to break Suzy and Lauren T's record for highest CSAB finish by a semifinalist; to fail to do that, she'd need to lose out to Makayla and have Just Sam still alive.

Apparently you're not the only one who thought so. Finalized ratings are in, and Jonny's average jumped from 41.5 to 49.5. This means Francisco will actually have a live contestant to compete against instead of four projected ratings, as this is easily sufficient to take out Grace Leer. (And yes, if it turns out that they go the Top 11 route, it's good enough to survive Just Sam's presence, taking out Sophia James.)