Horror Movie Rankdown 2.0 - Return of the Living Rankers

Deeee

Dark Water (2002 dir. by Hideo Nakata)

KaleidoscopicFirstIbex-size_restricted.g

It took me awhile to realize if this was a gif or a picture. :dead: Dark Water is a 2002 Japanese horror film directed by Hideo Nakata and written by Yoshihiro Nakamura and Kenichi Suzuki. The film is based on the short story collection by Koji Suzuki. In English the film translates to: From the Depths of Dark Water. The film stars Hitomi Kuroki, Rio Kanno, Mirei Oguchi, Asami Mizukawa, Fumiyo Kohinata, Yu Tokui, Isao Yatsu and Shigemitsu Ogi. The film follows a divorced mother who moves into a rundown apartment with her daughter and experiences supernatural experiences, one of them being a mysterious leak from the floor above. There was an American remake of the film made in 2005 that starred Jennifer Connelly and Tim Roth and was directed by Walter Salles. The film has a 80% approval rating on RT and its original title in Japan is Honogurai Mizu no Soko kara.

Get Out (2017 dir. by Jordan Peele)

Get_Out_poster.png

Get Out is a fantastic film that marks Jordan Peele's horror directoral debut and stars Daniel Kaluuya, Allison Williams, Lil Rel Howery, Bradley Whitford, Caleb Landry Jones, Stephen Root, Catherine Keener and Lakeith Stanfield. The film's plot follows a man by the name of Chris Washington, who uncovers a disturbing secret when he meets the family of his white girlfriend, Rose Armitage. The film premiered at Sundance in January 2012, before a wide release in February 2017. Filmed on a small (by today's standards) budget of $4.5 million, the film ultimately grossed $255 million, as well as receiving universal acclaim for its writing, directing, acting, and thematic elements. Most people cite it as one of the best films of the 2010s, and I would agree. I wouldn't have cut if I had other options, but I love the Chucky films except for Seed, so sadly this was a cut I had to do.

SAVE: Child's Play