SCD Series 19 Discussion Thread

*Lily

So 3 more to be revealed, probably tomorrow!

I’m guessing it’ll be 2 guys, 1 girl because we have the male same-sex pairing this year? Ugo for one of the guys probably. I suspect we will maybe be looking at an older female contestant to be revealed, I was also hoping for a young female singer this year but I don’t see it happening :(

That being said it seems like an interesting cast shaping up so far, I think AJ and Tom are my early favourites just on what we’ve seen so far!

• Like 1

Rose Ayling-Ellis is our 12th celebrity to take to the ballroom in 2021!

p09s22t7.jpg

Actor Rose Ayling-Ellis is best known for her role in EastEnders playing character Frankie Lewis.

Rose said: “To be the first deaf contestant on Strictly Come Dancing is sooooo exciting.. and a little bit scary. It is the hardest secret I have ever had to keep so it feels amazing to finally have this out in the open! I hope I will do the deaf community proud and break down more barriers. But I am also very excited to learn an incredible new skill and even better I get to learn whilst wearing beautiful dresses made especially for me!”

Actor Rose Ayling-Ellis is best known for her role in EastEnders, which she joined in 2020, playing Frankie Lewis. Rose is the first ever deaf actor to play a deaf character on the soap. She has previously appeared in various stage productions, and her other TV credits include Summer of Rockets and Casualty. Rose use British Sign Language (BSL).

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/9ddf5f8f-9e47-4b09-8f78-c2440f3e326c

Don't know Rose but her being the first deaf contestant to compete on Strictly is huge. It will be interesting to see how she does but I think she'll be rootable.

49 minutes ago, *Lily said:

So 3 more to be revealed, probably tomorrow!

I’m guessing it’ll be 2 guys, 1 girl because we have the male same-sex pairing this year? Ugo for one of the guys probably. I suspect we will maybe be looking at an older female contestant to be revealed, I was also hoping for a young female singer this year but I don’t see it happening :(

That being said it seems like an interesting cast shaping up so far, I think AJ and Tom are my early favourites just on what we’ve seen so far!

Pretty much agree with you on all of this. I do think another older woman is needed (or a woman in her 40s as there is no lady in that age range). I think the other guy is a complete toss up. Not sure who to guess there. And ugh yeah sad there will likely not be a young female singer in the cast again. :( Still looking forward to the cast.

• Like 1

Nina seems like fun, I think she’ll be one of my favorites.  I’m so glad to see Strictly casting a deaf person again, Ben Cohen is 30-33% deaf in each ear and he was way back 2013.  It’ll be interesting to see how Rose does being completely deaf and as a woman since they traditionally follow while men like Ben and Nyle had to lead.  

Tom Fletcher: age 36 and 5’ 11”

Robert Webb: age 48-49 (turning 49 in late September) and 5’ 10”

AJ Odudu: age 33 and 5’ 7”
John Whaite: age 33 and 6’ 2”

Rhys Stephenson: age 28 and 6’ 0”

Sara Davies: age 37 and maybe 5’ 6” (Digital Spy’s guess based on pic of her next to Katya)

Katie McGlynn: age 28 and 5’ 5”

Dan Walker: age 44 and 6’ 6”

Tilly Ramsay: age 19 (20 in November) and 5’ 6”

Greg Wise: age 55 and 6’ 2”

Nina Wadia: age 52 and 5’ 2”

Rose Ayling-Ellis: age 26 or 30 (different internet sources) and 5’ 5”

Nina’s height makes her a likely partner for Gorka or Neil; unless there’s another woman in her height range, I think she’s with Gorka since people weren’t happy about him being benched last time.  

I can’t see Rose being paired with any of the new guys, she’s probably going to get one of the longer-tenured pros who will already have more experience partnering non-dancers.  I could see her with Giovanni as a challenge for him after so many contenders but I think he could do it.  Neil could also be an option since there might be enough height-distance between them.  Aljaž or Kai could also work but I just have this feeling about Rose & Gio since he’s had so many contenders in a row and Derek got Amy after so many contenders and Val got Victoria after so many contenders.  

Edited by Ariel1989

Contestant 13 is Adam Peaty!

Wow - I’m actually shook by this signing :omg: One of the big stars of the Team GB Olympic team, just won two gold medals. I knew he was planning on taking some time off from swimming but wasn’t expecting this so soon from him :haha: Great signing!

Edited by *Lily
  • Like 1

Olympian Adam Peaty MBE is set to make a splash on Strictly!

p09s4hq2.jpg

Adam Peaty MBE is one of the biggest names in world swimming and was one of the standout stars of this year’s Olympics, where he made history by becoming the first British swimmer to defend an Olympic title.

Adam said: “I think this will come as a surprise to a lot of people, but I’m so excited to finally share the news that I’ll be joining Strictly this year. I’m really looking forward to doing something totally different and challenging myself away from the pool. I’m hoping my competitive nature is going to compensate for my dancing abilities!”

Adam claimed gold at the Rio 2016 Olympics and then again in Tokyo 2020 in the Men’s 100m Breaststroke. As well as his three gold and two silver Olympic medals, he is an eight-time World Champion, a sixteen-time European Champion and a three-time Commonwealth Champion. The holder of the world record in 50 metre and 100 metre breaststroke events, Adam was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2017 New Year Honours for services to swimming.

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/b044cf84-7c08-4988-9be0-e1dcd0b8a480

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Judi Love is our 14th celebrity for Strictly 2021!

p09s4v24.jpg

Comedian and presenter Judi Love is one of the UK’s most in demand entertainers. A firm favourite on the stand-up circuit, Judi is also known for producing a host of viral online comedy sketches, amassing a huge following on social media.

Judi said: “I think I am still in shock that I will be part of this amazing show. I’ve watched it for many years and admired the phenomenal abilities of these dancers and celebrities that have taken part and dedicated themselves to learning a new craft. I’m truly looking forward to pushing myself in something that I could have only dreamed of doing and now it’s actually coming true!! I can’t lie I’m soooo nervous but excited at the same time!!”

As well as being a regular panellist on Loose Women, Judi has made appearances on The Jonathan Ross Show, The Graham Norton show, 8 Out Of 10 Cats does Countdown, Celebrity Juice, This Morning, Good Morning Britain, The Stand Up Sketch Show, The Big Narstie Show and Celebrity Masterchef.

During lockdown, Judi set up her Quarantine Date Nights which ran throughout 2020 and 2021, gathering tens of thousands of views as well as countless, budding singletons. She also has a regular column in OK Magazine.

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/b3e1cce4-989d-4474-82c2-bbb1b9f96f12

Wow Adam Peaty is a very huge and unexpected signing.... and someone I actually know. 😮 :dead: No doubt he'll be popular as an Olymican but if he can dance then he will certainly go super far.

Judi seems like someone I may have seen on a UK show but I am not sure what. Like did i see her as a Big Brother Bit on the Side panelist or someone I saw on Strictly It Takes Two? She looks so familiar but can't place her. But she seems like someone that will be a lot of fun!

Looking forward to them both.

2 hours ago, *Lily said:

Tabloids are still pretty confident in Ugo being on the cast, so I’m expecting that’ll be our reveal this evening, although open to surprises. And then we have the full 15!

Yeah I'm hearing the show where Ugo's reveal is going to happen was a pre-recorded show so that could have been how his reveal got leaked. :unsure: We'll find out for sure soon.

9 minutes ago, *Diana said:

I find most of this cast super disappointing 

Gah yeah...... I can get this reaction. 🙈 There's a number of people I'm looking forward to but there isn't a female singer or a proper female ringer is what's missing (which tends to be my/the forum's favorite types :broken: ). :( That's my only letdown. Still gonna give every a chance to impress though.

I feel like I must have heard Adam’s name during the Olympics but swimming has so many disciplines it’s hard to keep track 😄. Still, he’s a very big celebrity now with his win and record so a huge get for Strictly.  I don’t know anything about Judi but she seems really excited about Strictly so I’m sure I’ll have fun watching her have fun.  

Tom Fletcher: age 36 and 5’ 11”

Robert Webb: age 48-49 (turning 49 in late September) and 5’ 10”

AJ Odudu: age 33 and 5’ 7”
John Whaite: age 33 and 6’ 2”

Rhys Stephenson: age 28 and 6’ 0”

Sara Davies: age 37 and 5’ 8.5”

Katie McGlynn: age 28 and 5’ 5”

Dan Walker: age 44 and 6’ 6”

Tilly Ramsay: age 19 (20 in November) and 5’ 6”

Greg Wise: age 55 and 6’ 2”

Nina Wadia: age 52 and 5’ 2”

Rose Ayling-Ellis: age 26 or 30 (different internet sources) and 5’ 5”
Adam Peaty: age 26 and 6’ 3”

Judi Love: age 41 and 5’ 3”

*Ugo Monye: age 38 and 6’ 2”

ANOTHER tall guy?  Not looking good for Jowita, especially if Ugo is indeed the last contestant (seems most likely since it would be easy for the Sun to leak a prerecorded reveal).  On the bright-side, so many tall guys means they’ll need tall female dancers so both Luba and Nadiya are likely getting partners and maybe even Nancy since she’s the third-tallest; I’m not sure who would be benched for her though, the other women have seniority over those three and I’m having a hard time picturing them benching the popular Dianne (although her recent early exits along with her height might exclude her).  I think given that Adam is now the second-tallest man, he’s getting Luba or Nadiya but I’m leaning more towards Nadiya since he might have more potential than Dan and I think they might not want Luba to exit early with a pre-series contender again.  

Judi is the second-shortest woman so ideally she would get Gorka or Neil (meaning they’d both get partners this year!) but she did mention Graziano so Neil might be benched again unless they don’t feel like giving Cameron a chance.  

If Ugo is the last contestant, it means there will be 7 female pros and 8 male pros getting partners with 2 female pros and 1 male pro getting benched.  I’m thinking Jowita, Dianne and Cameron are getting benched with so many tall guys and petite-to-medium height women.  I do feel like there’s a chance that Dianne could get Tom, Robert or even Rhys if they want to give her a contender after some early exits but that would mean more than one of Amy, Karen, Katya or Oti getting someone too tall and it really wouldn’t be fair to Nancy who’s taller than all of those dancers.  

My predictions:

Tom & Karen

Robert & Oti

AJ & Aljaž

John & Kai

Rhys & Nancy/Dianne

Sara & Johannes

Katie & Neil

Dan & Luba

Tilly & Nikita

Greg & Amy

Nina & Gorka

Rose & Giovanni

Adam & Nadiya

Judi & Graziano

Ugo & Katya

*pending confirmation. 

Edited by Ariel1989

Sports presenter Ugo Monye completes our line-up for 2021!

p09s607h.jpg

TV presenter and sports pundit Ugo, began his career playing rugby at Harlequins in 2002. Ugo went on to make 241 appearances for the club, scored 89 tries, won a Premiership and made his England debut in 2008. Since retiring in 2015, he has become a respected face and voice in the world of sports presenting.

"What a dream come true! Strictly is the biggest entertainment show on TV and I can’t wait to show everyone I’ve got more than just dad dancing moves. My two beautiful daughters never had a chance to see me on the rugby pitch, so to know they can watch me waltzing and twirling every week is really special to me. I love an outfit at the best of times, so bring on the sequins!”

Ugo has hosted rugby coverage for BT Sport and ITV as well as the BBC 5 Live Rugby Union Weekly podcast. In July 2021, it was announced that Ugo would be one of the new team Captains on BBC One's A Question of Sport. Ugo’s commitment to making rugby more accessible for all has seen him recently named the first ever Chairman of England Rugby’s new Diversity and Inclusion committee.

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/c2f05993-0ead-488f-9391-f52fdc78d963

It's so odd how the first ~leaked name ended up being the last confirmed celeb. :dead: :haha: But looking forward to Ugo and what he can bring to the show.

And yayy now we know the full cast. I look forward to seeing how this all plays out! I will try to come up with couples predictions within a few weeks.

• Like 1

I'm excited for this cast! I really like the mix, some well-known names mixed in with people who I think will be great to learn more about and also some big personalities.

Early favourite is AJ, however also excited for Judi, Tom and Adam (wow this is one time early on where I would say I'm maybe more impressed with the male line-up than the female line-up on paper, especially having two of my early standouts being guys 😮 :haha:). Pretty much everyone else I am looking forward to seeing more from and learning more about!

Edited by *Lily
  • Like 1

The Sun is reporting that Neil is getting a partner and Luba is benched this year.  

Figured that Neil would get a second chance with two petite women in the cast (Nina and Judi).  

Bummed for Luba if that's indeed the case; she wasn't given much of a chance in either of her series with James being one of the worst ever on the show and Jason getting terrible music for their dances.  She did quite well in Christmas Specials with the shorter Janette-partner Jake Wood and cast-for-filler Richard Arnold and even won a Children In Need Special with Shane Lynch.  Come to the States Luba!  We need some taller ladies anyway and she reminds me of Polish ballroom goddess Magda Fialek 🤩.  

Luba not getting a partner might mean that Nancy is finally getting one this year since there's so many tall men and Jowita is the shortest female dancer.  

Luba being benched and nor having a partner with this cast of tall men...... Is really odd. I'm OK with it as she hasn't made much of an impact on her two series. Granted James was terrible and couldn't do much so that was a lost cause. But I do feel she could have done much better with Jason.

If this is all true, then I am happy for Nancy to get a partner. She certainly deserves one.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the launch show/premiere dates there, Ariel.

Oh I forgot to do my couples pairing predictions. I don't really have an idea how to go about this, but here it goes.

AJ & Kai

Judi & Neil

Katie & Giovanni 

Nina & Gorka

Rose & Aljaz

Sara & Johannes

Tilly & Nikita 

Adam & Karen 

Dan & Nadiya

Greg & Oti

John & Graziano 

Rhys & Nancy

Robert & Dianne

Tom & Amy

Ugo & Katya

Ahh I don't know. The male celebs were a lot harder to predict. :dead: Curious to see how right of wrong I am.

Kai and Nikita were recently interviewed where it was mentioned they were meeting their partners soon.  Nancy was also apparently spotted filming a “meet your partner” VT so it’s POSSIBLE that she’s indeed getting a partner and Luba is benched (Nadiya has been reposting a lot about her getting a partner and I can’t see Amy, Dianne, Karen, Katya or Oti getting benched).  The pro partners are looking more and more likely to be Aljaž, Amy, Dianne, Giovanni, Gorka, Graziano, Johannes, Kai, Karen, Katya, Nadiya, Nancy, Neil, Nikita and Oti with the benched pros being Cameron, Jowita and Luba (none of them have been reposting about getting partners like Nadiya).  

My final predictions for couples:

Adam & Nadiya

AJ & Kai

Dan & Katya

Greg & Oti

John & Graziano

Judi & Gorka

Katie & Nikita

Nina & Aljaž

Rhys & Dianne

Robert & Karen

Rose & Neil

Sara & Johannes

Tilly & Giovanni

Tom & Amy

Ugo & Nancy

Still kinda feel bad for Luba, but really pleased for Nancy I'd she finally gets a partner.

Has anyone been watching the Strictly Meet the celebrities clips posted on Instagram? They are being posted one by one in preparation for the launch show.

Some standout comments I've seen:

- Judi is most excited to learn the Samba. Her favorite Strictly contestant is Alesha Dixon. (I'm stabbing her for this choice! :wub: )

- Robert is looking forward to learn the Rumba, because he doesn't know how to spell it. :dead:

- Nina calls herself an '80s girl and would love to dance to Footloose, Flashdance or Dirty Dancing.

- Rhys says he likes pop and locking as his signature dance move (and wonders how he can put that in a Waltz :haha: ). Danny Mac is his all-time favorite Strictly contestant.

- Adam is most excited to learn the Waltz as he enjoys how elegant it is. The song he most wants to dance to is "Spring 1" by Max Richter. He has a lot of love of classical music. 😮Louis Smith is his all-time favorite Strictly contestant.

- Tilly is most excited to learn the Waltz as well, as she likes how elegant it is. Her signature dance move is a head and shoulder bop.

• Like 1