DWTS Australia

*Amanda

Yayyy I got to watch the show. It was fun, so I'll post my thoughts!

My Thoughts:

Grant & Lily - Cha-Cha: Awww it's really cool and funny to see Grant as a contestant/dancer now as I was moreso familiar with him as the host on the 16th and 17th serasons of the show. :haha: I don't know him as well as a dancer but happy to see that now. Aww Grant & Lily's meet was really cute. LOL Lily was only 7 when Grant won (and is now 22). :haha: Aww at how Grant hasn't danced since last being on the show. The Cha-Cha was a great dance for him to showcase his fun personality. This was a fun dance from Grant. He performed it really well and channeled and got into that 90s hip-hop flair of the dance. The dance did have more hip-hop flair and I am not sure of his Cha-Cha technique and partnering work. It wasn't the cleanest or most precise. Sadly, Todd was right there wasn't really enough Cha-Cha content or was executed that well. Great performer but not the best technical dancer. Ooh and Lily kinda looked taller than Grant in the dance. Ooof Lily getting a grilling for her choreo...eeks. A mix of 6's and 7's are fair, though I do agree with the strict judges with the 6. 

Bridie & Craig - Foxtrot: Ooh Birdie was also on Season 7 and won it on 2007. Aww how cute that she's reunited with her original partner in Craig. Aww at Bridie doing well with the hard parts but struggling on the easy parts, and their reactions to it. They are a nice fun pair. Aww I thought this was a very beautiful and gorgeous Foxtrot. It was so angelic and emotional. Bridie really captured the mood and emotion of the dance. She danced and moved with grace here. I think the only issue I had was that she did look kinda intense and not so relaxed in her frame. The top line did look a little off. But her footwork lookede good. She moved well and it was a very lovely, elegant dance. ❤️ She's already reminding me of Bec Hewitt. Wow at the mix of 7/8/9's here. Scores all over the place, but think I agree with the 8.  

Omgg this clip of dance mistakes.... omg, wow so much messiness happened on this show. Oh wow, I love it. :dead:

Ricki-Lee & Jarryd - Cha-Cha: Omgg I'm sooo excited for Ricki-Lee & Jarryd! :spaz: They were the one of my favorite partnerships on this show and Ricki-Lee participating was what got me into DWTSAU, so this got me feeling so pumped to see them again! :wub: Aww at how much she was wanting Jarryd and how she got him. Love that for them! omg Ricki-Lee hating her Cha-Cha on her original season because of the start of her not hearing the music. But I love that she's doing the Cha-Cha and to "On the Floor" too! Oooh my at the intro with her flying down from the sky. Wow, this was a hot, fierce and very sexy Cha-Cha here! :omg: Ricki-Lee was super fierce and performed the heck out of this dance. She brought crisp killer technique with the leg action, hip action and great partnering skills. She had great chemistry and partnering with Jarryd! I do think she had a few moments that weren't as sharp but still was reallly great. Wow at how this dance got a 10 from the first episode, alongside the 8s. :omg: Not quite sure on the 10 but do think I would be on an 8/9 score here. 

Cameron & Megan - Tango: Ooof I do feel so bad for these wildcards as they reallly are starting from the beginning with no dance experience here versus those that have done the show. So such a big disadvantage. Ooh interesting how Cameron auditioned for the Strictly Ballroom movie, but now he gets his ballroom dance shot. 😮 Hmmm oooo he started rehearsals a couple weeks later than the other couples? Not good. >.< Cameron did an okay job for his first dance. He did have some shaky moments with his footwork, as he seemed quite skippy there. He had an okay frame, but he did committ to the character of the dance. Ooof he did have some really rocky moments dancing forward towards the end. Although from a dramatic/intense dance, I did want more fire and passion. Ooof Todd was quite harsh with the comments but not totally surprised.  Yeah like one of the judges said, if he was on a regular series, he could have potential to grow and go far. But against these all-stars, not really a chance, sadly. omg the female host calling him the Australian George Clooney. Is he that big of a deal? 😮 Oooh.... so 5/6's did seem fair. Not sure which score I'd go with, either 5 or 6? 

omgg awww that clip of Nikki Webster & Sasha Farber. That was so fun and cute..... seeing young Sasha there. :haha:

Anthony & Jessica - Viennese Waltz: Anthony won the 5th season of the show way back in 2006. Jessica won it in 2013 with Cosentino. lol Jess needing to oil him like the tinman with how stiff he is. Oh my. Aww this dance had a dreamy romantic feel and quality to it. Anthony did connect and perform this well with Jessica. He did roatate and travel decently across the floor. But he also still has that stiffness and rigidness in his dancing  too. But then he also had some nice tender moments in there too, specifically with his lines. Aww the ending was really cute where Jessica went running to Anthony on the ground, he lifted her and then they layed on the floor (looking like grass). A sweet and charming dance. OMG LOL Helen getting on Todd for calling this dance a Foxtrot. Get him, Helen! :giggle: The mix of 7's and 8's were good for him, though I'm more on the 7 range.

LOL WHATT is this Kel Knight & Kath Day-Knight Season 7 clip that I was watching. :dead: I am forever disturbed. :dead: 

Kylie & Aric - Cha-Cha: Kylie was on the show in 2009 and finished 3rd. Aww I do love her fandom and love for the show. omg her mentioning Aric made the final 11 times (and won 3 times).... what a track record that is! With her excitement, you could tell she wants to do well again here. This was a cute and interedsting Cha-Cha. With the outfits, I was thinking it might have been a Jive or something. It has that retro 60s feel to it. Wow Kylie has some long legs here.  I thought this was a really cute, fun and adorable dance. I loved her energy and excitement while performing this. Some of her dancing and leg action did look kinda weird and jerky to me at spots. I think she was trying a little too hard and not really settled into the dance? And yeah needed to breathe through the dance. She does have potential and had good partnering work, but she just need to work on some technical aspects. Her joy was infectious. Ooh an 8 from Todd? And then a mix of 6/7/8's? Strange there but I do agree with the 7s. 

Kris & Siobhan - Viennese Waltz: Ooh Kris is the other wildcard of this group. Again, I do feel bad for him being a wildcard with no experience as that's tough to compete against. But aww it's sweet he's doing the show for his two daughters. Ooof he has knee injuries from his rugby days, which aren't too good. I always love this "Kiss from a Rose" song choice. But wow veryyy interesting and unexpected outfits for a VW. I was thinking this was like a "Kings & Queens" Tango or something with this getup, lol. Kris was okay. He partnered and showcased Siobhan well, but he did seem quite stiff anddidn't really shine that much on his own. He didn't really have that flow, swing and sway needed for the VW, as it did just seem stiff. But also Siobhan was so gorgeous and really stole/shone in this dance for me. Oooh they did have nice chemistry, especially at the end. The last lift was nice too. I think the 5s were fair. 

Rankings:
1. Ricki-Lee & Jarryd - Cha-Cha
2. Bridie & Craig - Foxtrot
3. Anthony & Jessica - Viennese Waltz
4. Kylie & Aric - Cha-Cha
5. Grant & Lily - Cha-Cha
6. Cameron & Megan - Tango
7. Kris & Siobhan - Viennese Waltz

This was a very enjoyable first show here! Kylie, Ricki-Lee, Bridie and Grant were the first 4 celebs saved. Anthony & Jessica were the last couple saved. No surprises that Cameron & Megan and Kris & Siobhan were the Bottom 2. They were at the bottom of the leaderboard and probably came in with little-to-no fanbase compared to the contestants that have done the show. I would have been fine either way the result went, but I'm okay with Cameron & Megan going, of the two. Ooof he only had 2 weeks to rehearse. But at least he got to do this show and have this moment, though I do think he would have fared better in a brand new cast series.

• Like 1

FYI - the next episode is next Sunday. 😮 So hmmm, are they doing one episode a week? That honestly works out better for me (and I'm sure all of us) as that lets the season last long + it gives us more time to watch the episodes. :haha:

• Like 2

SLAY at Ricki-Lee getting a 10 in week 1. :omg: Aww, her reaction to it was so cute. :wub: 

My favorites for the week were Ricki-Lee, Bridie & Anthony but I thought all of the returnees did a good job.

Kris & Cameron were the obvious weak links, and the wildcards are always gonna have the disadvantage of having not done this show before. Curious to see if either Deni or Sam turn out to be a Renee Bargh type of surprise and be a wildcard who's actually a good dancer.

No episode link yet, but spoilers below.

The judges handed out 10’s like candy this week.

:dead: 

David & Alexandra - “September” (Cha-Cha): 40

Courtney & Joshua - “Proud Mary” (Jive): 40

Deni & Lyu - “Love On Top” (Samba): 39

Olympia & Gustavo - “Santa Maria (del buen Ayre)” (Argentine Tango): 38

Rob & Alanna - “Dynamite” (Cha-Cha): 27

Angie & Julian - “Electric City” (Cha-Cha): 25

Sam & Ruby - “Someone to You” (Tango): 23

Bottom 2 was Sam & Ruby vs. Angie & Julian, with Angie & Julian being eliminated.

Scoring is all over the place this season.. they weren't lying when they said it would be the season with the most 10s ever huh

:dead:

Slay Courtney and Olympia! Also didn't see Deni being as good as she was but that's an amazing start for a newbie. :omg: Poor Julian really hasn't had much luck as a pro yet huh?

Thoughts:

LMAOO what is going on with the judges giving out so many 10s like crazy?

:dead: This ain't the semi-finals or final. :dead:  I was expecting it since they said there were two perfect scores but dang. 🤣

I was expecting great scores from David and Courtney! And was hoping Olympia would get great scores. So yay for those 3! But oh wow, a big surprise from Deni. I'm excited for her now. 😮 

Also I kinnnddaa would have predicted Angie to be the first one to go from this group, so I am not surprised to see that happen. I'll have to see the dances to fully comment. But she did kinda stand out as the weak link on the women's side and was kind of an odd all-star casting, so again, not surprised here.

• Like 1

Week 2 Thoughts

David & Alexandra - Cha-Cha: I really liked David and he was one of my faves on his season [d]despite beating Ricki-Lee[/s] but it's good seeing him back on this special All-Stars season to see if he's still got his dancing skills. Also wow at that fun fact of David having the most perfect scores on the show. And aww he has a really nice/cute family so it's nice he's doing this for them. He lucked up in getting the Cha-Cha as he loves the Latin dances.  After this dance, David has proven that he's still got it! He had some fun hip-hop showy dance moves in there at the start and the middle, but Alexandra gave him a lot of Cha-Cha content, which he danced and executed at such a great and high level. He had great rhythm, musicality, partnering skills, slick good footwork and all of the Cha-Cha basics technique down well. He just did really well and looked like a natural here in this style. LOL his comment of liking to dance in the gym and showers back in his sport days. :haha: OMG I CAN'T at Sonia saying "Ricki-Lee would cut a b**ch" on the show. :dead: I do think the straight 10s/perfect 40 is too extreme for the start of the season + a first dance, but.... this was a fantastic dance so I guess it's fair? I don't even know. :dead:

Deni & Lyu - Samba: Oooh Deni is a singer. I don't think I realized that or maybe I forgot about that when I looked her up. OMG LOL Lyu's "can you dance" and then Deni's "I'm black" response. :lmao: Lol her dancing in front of Lyu. And ooo she's turning 51 while doing the competition, that's really cool.  Now I can't turn down a "Love on Top" Samba here. :giggle: Wow that intro was so dramatic, lmaoo... I loved it. :dead: But wow Deni was explosive and a lot of fun here. She danced this really well with great peformance skills and dance skills. She had good technique and handled all of the Samba technique really well. She had good hip action and footwork. I don't know if I quite agree on the 10s. I did feel some parts were a little wild and I think I saw a bit of a missed hand connection (though that was covered well). But she still danced it really well, performed the heck out of it and far exceeded my expectations. LMAO her backstage interview with Sonia was hilarious. :lmao:

LOL I loved the Helen vs. Todd clip here. :lmao:

Olympia & Gustavo - Argentine Tango: Aww I'm so glad Olympia is on this season as we all know she was surely ROBBED on her original season. It's going to be interesting seeing her with Gustavo. Lol they were quite funny on their intro! Ooh loved that Olympia gets to do the AT as that was her standout dance from her run so it's great to see her doing this again. "Santa Maria" is REALLLY making its rounds through all of the Dancing shows this past year huh? :dead: But oh HOT DANGGG at this dance! :omg: This was reallly such a hot, sexy, fiery and steamy dance! The partnering with Olympia & Gustavo was fantastic. They had loads of chemistry and were really into each other in the dance. Olympia had incredible foot action and legwork throughout the dance! I loved the usage of the chair in the dance too, especially that part where Olympia sat on the chair and had her legs on Gustavo's arm while he spun her around a bit. That was a cool part. I loved all of the intrciate footwork in the dance. Like all of those gaunchos? Insane! There was a little part where it did look like they got a little stuck.... but eh, it didn't distract from the dance. Really an outstanding AT from Olympia! Lmaoo the Jarryd discussion debate Olympia and Sonia had. :lmao: A 38 is a great and fair score, though I do think she should have scored higher than Deni.

Sam & Ruby - Tango: Oooh Sam is the other wildcard of the season. Also interesting how Ruby has two wildcard contestants. OMGG LOL Sam's "You obviously know who I am!" and then Ruby's "uuhhhhhhhh???" :dead:  Ooh lol Sam seems like quite the humorous character.... and lol his song with the Wiggles. Oh wow, his first dance being the Tango, which is the complete opposite from how his VT was. :lmao:  Okay after 3 amazing dances, I was kinda happy to see an average dance becaused I couldn't handle all the slayage and an elimination after it. Oooof this dance, it did not feel like a Tango at all. :dead: Like if I were to watch the dance and guess the style, the Tango would have been the last style I would have guessed. His frame and posture was all over the place and so shaky. The footwork was really messy. And omg his facial expressions were SO extra and he was looking way too happy in this dance. The timing and musiciality was off. Uhhh I got more of a Foxtrot feel here? Ruby was fierce and danced well. Sam is likable and a fun character but oooof this dance was a mess. LMAO Helen choosing to pass from commenting. The 6s were generous, but the 5's were more fair. But also think 4s should have been given and probably would have if the other couples scored lower. :ph34rwave:

OMGG what the heck at Sonia randomly going off at Todd? :dead: OMGG whoa they broke into a dance. I was not expecting that. But this was a fun dance and loved the outfit change from Sonia. :haha: This was so unexpected but this was a great fun dance from them. Lots of fun bits and lots of fun Jive in there!

Angie & Julian - Cha-Cha: I already mentioned this but I thought it was an unexpected casting choice to have Angie Kent here, who wasn't really that memorable on her season in 2020. Aww at her commenting that she was emotionally vacant on her original season and how sad she was going out second. It's nice to see Angie & Julian reunited here. It's nice we also get to see her doing a Cha-Cha as she did 3 ballrooms on her original season (Foxtrot/Tango/Waltz). This was a cute and fun dance. It was better than Sam's dance, but sadly doesn't compare to the first 3 dances. She looked cute and showed off some potential. She did seem a little walky and steppy for some sections of the dance. I did feel like her nerves got the best of her at times. But wow that big lift in the middle was epic. All in all, it was actually a decently good first dance. I think she would do better on a regular season here this time around but on an all-star season, this looks weaker than it should. I do agree with Helen, that it was hit or miss where she was on it one minute but not the next but the potential is there. Interesting how she got a mix of 5/6/7's here. Hmmm.... Stuck between a 6 or 7 here, but probably leaning to a 6?

Courtney & Josh - Jive: It's so great seeing Courtney & Josh back together on this All-Stars season. LOL Shane/Courtney's fake out disappointed reaction in getting Josh. omgg them rehearsing some of those lifts were scary. I came in with high expectations for Courtney and she certainly brought that level I was expecting. This was really such a great and strong first week Jive from her. She performed the heck out of this dance and performed it like a star! Dangg this dance was electrifying and explosive! It was non-stop high energy throughout! :omg: Courtney brought so much precision and high level quality in her dancing technique and kicks & flicks here! :omg: The partnering skills werfe great and on point, as were the side by side dancing. But then all of those lifts and tricks they did, added another high level excitement to the dance. Her first Week 1 Jive on Season 17 was great but this was iconic and amazing! :omg: This dance looked like something at a professional level. I'm not surprised this got a 40 with how the scores were.

Rob & Alarna - Cha-Cha: I also just noticed how many Australian Idol alums there are - Ricki-Lee, Courtney and Rob all competing against each other. It's also kinda surprising seeing Rob on this All-Stars season as he didn't last long on his season but he's quite popular and well known in Australia, so I can get it. Ooh he's getting the Cha-Cha again and awww at how fearful he is getting this style again after Todd went off on his original Cha-Cha. Lol the intro of this dance with them in the bed was cute and fun. Rob is a fun and expressive performer and dancer. OK I will say some of his facial expressions cracked me up so much here. :dead: But I think he's a pretty decent and good dancer here. He kept the routine moving without any glaring mistakes. He performed a fun Cha-Cha and brought some decent footwork and partnering skills. He handled all of the lifts well and excedded them smoothly. Yeah his technical dancing didn't quite compare to the 4 really strong dances but I thought he did well. I found his dance really enjoyable. The 6 seemed a little low but the 7s were fair and I agree with the 7 there so yay. I'd probably go with mostly 7s and an 8.

Rankings:
1. Courtney & Josh - Jive
2. David & Alexandra - Cha-Cha
3. Olympia & Gustavo - Argentine Tango
4. Deni & Lyu - Samba
5. Rob & Alarna - Cha-Cha
6. Angie & Julian - Cha-Cha
7. Sam & Ruby - Tango

This was a reallly great and strong night of dances! The Top 4 were all reallly amazing and fantastic dances and still really enjoyed #5 and liked #6. The first 4 celebs saved were Deni, David, Olympia and Courtney! So #bless the right four couples saved first. Rob & Alarna were the last couple saved. Angie & Julian and Sam & Ruby were the right Bottom 2 here. After watching the show, I am sadder to see Angie & Julian go. I think she deserved one more shot and another dance under her belt. :( Sam is funny and quite a character, so I can get why he got more votes. Angie took the elimination well and I am glad to see that she had so much more fun this time around. She def came off a lot happier and more positive here so that's great!

• Like 1

Just realized I never posted my thoughts.

Courtney SLAYED. :omg: And she’s joined the “Iconic Proud Mary Jive” club. :wub: 

David, Olympia & Deni all did fantastic as well.

Rob, Angie & Sam were clearly the weakest. Not surprised that Angie was eliminated first from this group.

This is SUCH a stacked cast with no shortage of good options for a winner.

Random observation: “Santa Maria” has suddenly become the It Song for Tango/AT, having been used on all of the most recent/current seasons of US, Strictly, Ireland & Australia. :haha: 

• Like 1

Spoilers for this week below:

Grant & Lily - “ Don’t Give Up” (Viennese Waltz): 40
Ricki-Lee & Jarryd - “Too Darn Hot” (Jazz): 34
Kris & Siobhan - “Devil Inside” (Paso Doble): 29
Kylie & Aric - “Say Something” (Viennese Waltz): 40
Anthony & Jessica - “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” (Jive): 28
Bridie & Craig - “Suit & Tie” (Samba): 36

Dance-Off:
Anthony & Jessica vs. Bridie & Craig - “Hello” (Salsa)

All judges voted to save Anthony & Jessica; Brodie & Craig were eliminated. Please make it make sense with the scores they received. :( 

Edited by *Amanda

50 minutes ago, *Diana said:

You mean to tell me the one time voter's actually voted the least deserting dancer in the Bottom the judges saved them? 🤢🤢🤢🤢

This happened last season with the judges (or 2 of them) saving Manu over Renee. :( 

• Sad 1

Thoughts:

Oooof shocked at those spoilers. Poor Bridie. I reallly didn't see her elimination coming.

:( 

There's a dance-off, sooo I'm going to assume Anthony really nailed his while Bridie messed up hers and only based it on the dance off, because that's the only thing that makes sense. Super sad for Bridie though but can't comment until seeing how this Salsa dance-off went. :( 

Also omg more 40s galore. :dead: 

Well, doing some reading of recaps and apparently the judges told the couples not to get “too technical” in the Salsa because salsa is not about technique, it’s about the “mood and fun of it all”?

Yes, because as judges you’re supposed to judge based on how fun a routine is rather than how good the technique is. :rolleyes: Maybe this explains why Bridie was eliminated?

• Confused 2

Episode 3 Thoughts!

Grant & Lily - Viennese Waltz: Wow this dance and story behind it is the total opposite of last week's dance, where he talked about his lowest point in his life where he suffered a spinal back injury. Oof had no idea about this but that's so sad. :( This was a sweet and touching VT with explaining how he went through that low point and how he got to where he is now. This dance was definitely a major improvement from Grant. He danced this really well and so beautifully. He partnered and led Lily well and he danced it with grace and elegance and moved with that swing & sway. He had great footwork in there. The big lift in the dance was a great moment. And wow the emotion he poured into it was fantastic. He really poured his heart and soul into the dance. This side of him took me by surprise No doubt this was a major improvement and absolutely moving, but oooo all 10s? That's quite a lot... but I like Grant so I'm happy for him.

LOL what was this Noeline Brown Paso clip from 2006 all about? :dead: 

Ricki-Lee & Jarryd - Jazz: Lol Ricki-Lee & Jarryd are always so fun in their intro videos. :haha: It's so interesting how we got two "Too Darn Hot" routines in back to back weeks on these dancing shows. First from Erica and now from Ricki-Lee. Oooh I definitely had a feeling they would be dancing to the remixed version of this. This was a very steamy, hot and sexy Jazz routine. Ricki-Lee really brought the sass, style and attitude to the dance and she danced it with so much confidence. She looked like a natural and made the dance look effortless. She did well with the side by side and the partnering bits. They told a strong story to it and had steamy chemistry. OMGG WHOA... whatt at Helen with that call out to Jarryd of her taking Jarry's Todd/Paul comment of only those judges knowing about Jazz. Dangg, that came out of nowhere. omg her "don't poke the bear, especially Mama Bear." :dead: This was a great dance but kinda like Todd said, I would have loved seeing a bit more classic Jazz content. Waiittt uppp.... so is Jarryd's tattoo of Olympia? OK imma take that as a joke from Sonia but lol I legit believed her for a moment. :dead: The mix of 8s and 9s seem fair here (though wouldn't have minded another 9).

A nice clip of Toby Allen dancing the Viennese Waltz from Season 4.

Kris & Siobhan - Paso Doble: lol Kris' confused reaction when Siobhan was explaining the Paso Doble to him. Lol that part of them rehearsing those turn around lifts. This was such a trippy routine, especially with all of their half face/body make-up.  And wow that move they kept showcasing was at the start of the dance, but it was a pretty cool starting move. Overall, this was a much improved dance from Kris. He definitely got into the creepy character and channeled it well here. He did have some awkward stiff moments in some of his dancing but then he did showcase some good partnering work, flamenco arm work and the lifts. Some moments were good but some parts needed some more work with the technique. But it was quite improved from Kris and an exciting routine from Siobhan. I do agree with the 7s. 

Oooh a Larry Emdur Jive clip from 2015's Season 15. I do remember him. 😮 Ooh very cool that he hosts the Australian version of The Chase.

Kylie & Aric - Viennese Waltz: Omgg those noises Kylie was making while they were rehearsing this dance. :lmao:  Oooh the Waltz was her first dance she did back in Season 9. Aww this was a sweet dedication she had for him and awww, she commented on losing him and how he won't be there to see her dance it this time. :broken: Oh wow this was another really beautiful and moving dance. Kylie really poured her heart and emotion so much and well into this. :omg: She danced it beautifully with great lyrical quality to her movement. She danced well in hold and had a good frame and good footwork. There were a lot of quieter moments but those moments made such a big impact. This was greatly improved from Kylie. Her father would be very proud of her with this dance. Although another dance I'm not sure if it was quite all 10s for me, but it was a great dance. 

Aww I loved the clip they showed of Australian celebs doing DWTS on other franchises. They showed Jason Donovan, Peter Andre, Cody Simpson, Pamela Stephenson (ooo didn't know she was Australian), Holly Valance and Bindi Irwin. 2 did the American show and 4 did the British show.

Lol this Michael Caton clip from Season 3. :dead: Don't know him of course but his partner was fierce. 

Anthony & Jessica - Jive: Oooh Anthony did the Jive on his original series but hmmm him calling it a girl's dance back then? Hmm. He did seem to be struggling with the Jive in the rehearsals although kicking the football did seem to help a bit. Oh wow with their outfits and the opening mugshots theme, I thought they were going to do a "Jailhouse Rock" Jive rather than a "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" Jive. Omg Jessica was so dynamic in this that I was watching mostly her in this for the first 30 or so seconds. I did go back to watch Anthony and he was alright. He wasn't terrible but wasn't great. This didn't seem like a dance he truly loved or was super into. But he was faking it well enough to make it through it and to show that he was having some fun with it. He did partner Jess well and handled the lifts well. His side by side kicks & flicks did look off and quite shaky next to hers. His overall dancing did look quite off and not all the way there. I did agree with Todd's 6. The 7's were okay but the 8 was a bit much. 

Bridie & Craig - Samba: Oooh they mentioned how they got a perfect score on their original Samba although they are doing a totally different Samba. Oooh I love "Suit & Tie" but never would have imagined a Samba to this song. :dead: This was like a slick modern and well very different type of Samba. Bridie was really cute in this and looked like she was having a good time. Bridie did dance it well with good, solid and clean technique. She had some great hip action, leg action and partnering work in there too. :yes: I did feel some parts she did seem a little too timid and shy and not really giving it enough "go" at it. I didn't quite love this style of Samba on Bridie as much as I wanted to but still I thought this was a really good dance. Oh my... I find myself agreeing with Todd's 8 and the 9s were fair but Mark's 10 was a bit much, lol. 

Rankings:
1. Grant & Lily - Viennese Waltz / Kylie & Aric - Viennese Waltz
3. Ricki-Lee & Jarryd - Jazz
4. Bridie & Craig - Samba
5. Kris & Siobhan - Paso Doble
6. Anthony & Jessica - Jive

Grant, Ricki-Lee and Kris were the first 3 celebs saved. Kylie was the last celeb saved. Anthony & Jessica vs. Bridge & Craig were the Bottom 2. Crazy how they have two winners in the Bottom already. Anthony did alright in his Salsa but I was kinda distracted by the hole in his shirt. :ph34rwave: He had fun and did well with the lifts (although the last lift was kinda botched a bit). He was quite stiff in the actual Salsa dancing. Jess was freaking hot and fierce in this! :omg: Once again, I found myself very drawn towards watching her. Bridie was really cute and had fun here. Bridie definitely brought more stronger technique and did do well on the partnering bits. She did seem a little too focused (on the steps) and not having as much fun with the dance in parts of the dance. She didn't perform it outwardly enough and didn't seem too prepared but still I thought she still did alright. So I'd guess I would say Anthony had the better performing/selling of the dance while Bridie had the better and more technical dancing. I can get it being a split decision but.... confused on how Anthony had all of the votes. :? I did read comments on the DancingAU instagram and they all seem rightfully annoyed by this so yay for that! ❤️ OMG the awkward goodbye message from Bridie "thank you for having me. And that's it. *few seconds later* And thank you Craig!" :dead: Aww yeah sad to see Bridie go as she is really good and has great potential in her and should have made it further. :( 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, *Amanda said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, doing some reading of recaps and apparently the judges told the couples not to get “too technical” in the Salsa because salsa is not about technique, it’s about the “mood and fun of it all”?

Yes, because as judges you’re supposed to judge based on how fun a routine is rather than how good the technique is. :rolleyes: Maybe this explains why Bridie was eliminated?

Thoughts

Yeah they made comments like that before the dance-off. As they were expecting Bridie to be more technical and Anthony to be more performance-based.

Females already have enough trouble actually winning on this version, we don’t need the judges making it more difficult for them with this “Who cares about technique? We’re looking for fun!” mantra in the dance-off. LOL. 🙂 

As much as the judges on other various versions can be annoying, at least they tend to save based on who danced better rather than who was more fun.

• Like 2

Spoilers below:

David & Alexandra - “Human” (Argentine Tango): 38
Olympia & Gustavo - “Levitating” (Samba): 38
Rob & Alarna - “What’s a Man Gotta Do” (Quickstep): 28
Courtnet & Joshua - “Hanuman” (Paso Doble): 39
Deni & Lyu - “Rewrite the Stars” (Foxtrot): 33
Sam & Ruby - “Hey Ya!” (Jive): 19

Dance-Off:
Deni & Lyu vs. Sam & Ruby - “Hips Don’t Lie” (Salsa)

Helen voted to save Sam & Ruby. The other 3 voted to save Deni & Lyu. Glad to be back to eliminations that make sense!

Edited by *Amanda

So…apparently you all forgot this airs the same day as Ireland even with me posting the spoilers. :dead: 

Just watched all the dances, which are all posted to the show’s Twitter page:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DancingAU

If you want to watch the full episode, it’s here:

https://southhemitv.com/2022/03/13/dwts-au-19-4/

-Very creative & interesting take on the Argentine Tango from David. It was danced very well, too. But I think I enjoyed Courtney’s & Olympia’s performances more this week.

-Olympia SLAYED the Samba! :omg: Easily the best of the “Levitating” Sambas we’ve had. ❤️ Not a hard feat to achieve though when your competition here is Matt James and Tilly Ramsay. :giggle: 

-Rob’s Quickstep was fine. He’s clearly the weakest of this group now that Sam was eliminated, though.

-Courtney SLAYED. :omg: Very glad to see her dance a more traditional Paso Doble this time after her season 16 one was danced to a Madonna song.

-Deni’s Foxtrot was beautiful. And danced pretty well. She definitely didn’t deserve to be in the bottom when Rob is right there, glad she survived the dance-off.

-Sam was a MESS in that Jive. Clearly the weakest link here, and the obvious choice to eliminate so good that the voters and 3 of judges saved him. The fact that he somehow got one vote to save this week when poor Bridie who is 1000x better didn’t get any votes to save last week, though… :wacko: 

Edited by *Amanda
  • Thanks 2

Week 4 Thoughts!

Wow halfway through the season now. But this was another great episode!

David & Alexandra - Argentine Tango:  Oh wow this theme is reallly interesting with a robot/human themed Argentine Tango for David. 😮 No surprises that David was able to do the robot moves so naturally but the AT steps were harder for him in rehearsals. Anyway, this was such an interesting and unique theme with the styling of it. The robot moves at the start were interesting but I liked how they seamlessly transitioned into the Argentine Tango steps. David did really well partnering and showcasing Alexandra in this dance as a proper leading man. He had the Argentine Tango steps and gaunchos down well. He did well with those but would have loved seeing a few more. They did have good chemistry and had a few moments of that steamy chemistry, although it wasn't that noticeable compared to the more traditional ATs. I loved how they went back to some robot moves to close the dance. But the routine was seamless and unique. I can't get that one judge being critical of wanting more AT feeling. Even with a few critical comments, he still got a 38 which is fantastic! :yes: Wow shocked Todd gave a 38 after saying he didn't know how to score this. 😮 OMGG Sonia with those dirty floppy disks jokes... lmao she is something else. :lmao: 

Oh wow they showed a real throwback clip of current host Daryl Somers as a guest singer with Aric & Marsha dancing. 😮  That was fun to see.

Olympia & Gustavo - Samba: LOL Olympia's reaction of being in such a strong group with only coming in 4th with a 38. LMAO Gustavo with his excitement of having the Samba and showing that off to her. :haha: Oh wow, so interesting we got a Levitating Samba but I guess it's fitting to have it on Australia's version too. Lol this dance had a fun and cute furstristic theme.  Olympia gave a really fun and cute opening solo. Olympia was quite fierce and worked it throughout this dance though. :bobo: She had great energy, happiness and performed it well. But she also brought clean and precise technique, good hip action and good footwork. She was really solid in the dance. The annoying thing about the dance was all of that fog blocking out her footwork. It was hard to see in spots. But no doubt she did really well. Ooooh they did a Matrix move and that part was kinda sick there. 😮 Aww that narrative of Olympia not really believing in herself was sad but she should be proud of that dance she delivered. A mix of two 9s and 10s with a 38 is great and fair.

During Series 9 Gerrard Gosens was a blind contestant who did the show and aww the Viennese Waltz they showed him dancing with his partner was really moving and touching.

Rob & Alarna - Quickstep: lol Alarna making Rob doing fast jumpropping to introduce him to do the Quickstep. LOL that montage of Rob making all these weird noises and grunts while rehearsing. :lmao: Ooh and look... a "What a Man Gotta Do" Quickstep. We haven't had this on DWTSUS yet which really surprises me. This was a really cute and fun dance. With Rob being a Broadway performer, he has an effortless way of knowing how to perform and gedtting into character for these dances. He was doing fine with the Quickstep, but there were those parts where he was spinning around in hold where he did look really shaky. Other than that, he did have a good frame and good footwork, although some parts the footwork could have been stronger. He did shine more on the side by side parts at the breakdown section. But he did well with dance but it wasn't at the level of the previous two dances. This was a cute, fun character dance. Wow he got a mix of 6/7/8's here. I can't fault that 28 for him here.

Courtney & Josh - Paso Doble: Oooh it's nice how Josh wants to do a traditional take on the Paso after having done the modern version they did the first time around. Ooh wow this Paso started off SO fierce right from the start with 3 Courtney's doing flamenco dance work. :omg: Courtney was so strong, fierce and powerful in this dance. She had great flamenco armwork and lines but she danced this dance full of atttack, power and intenisty. The partnering work was great as was all of her solo work. She danced and performed it at such a high level and full of quality. :omg: Courtney proves she can do the traditional Paso and modern Paso. Wow amazing scores once again with a 9 and three 10s! Very well deserved! 

Deni & Lyu - Foxtrot: OMG LOL Deni's "I just hope he can lift me, I'm a strong black woman." :dead: And then some of her other comments in the intro. She is too much. :lmao: But oooof the injury she suffered at the rehearsals with her achilles hill. :( Ahh poor Deni. :( She did well and delivered a pretty Foxtrot here. She did look kinda awkward in hold with her heard placement which looked a little too uppity, her shoulders were up a bit and she didn't seem as comfortable there. She did have a nice smoothness to her movements, but some parts could have been more smoother too. The lift in the middle was nice. Actually I felt she got a little more comfortable with the dance as it progressed and she eased into it some more at the end. This wasn't as strong of a dance as her Samba and didn't quite suit her but she did well. The mix of 7/8/9's were kinda insane but a 33 is a good score here.

Sam & Ruby - Jive: LOL at this Love, Actually intro that Ruby she did with Sam with using cue cards as a way to talk. :lmao: Ooh, well Sam's got a great song in "Hey Ya!" for his Jive so that's reallly cool. Lol the intro with those 3 Ruby's was really cute, haha. But oh dear, this show is soo cruel giving a wildcard a Jive. Sam is.... a reallly fun guy and he was certainly giving it his all. But his dancing and Jiving.... was rough and simply not good at all. He was very heavy footed, flat footed and stompy in his movements.  He didn't really have musicality or dance on point with the music. But he was having fun and was great in how he performed with just letting it go and having a blast. :haha:  This was easily the weakest dance of the night. He was just out of his depth here. Ooof Paul asking if he's spending enough time in the rehearsal studio of learning the dance. It was really nice of Sam to give Ruby credit on teaching him to dance and his whole speech to the judges. A 19 with a mix of 4/5/6's.... with two 4's there. OK yeah I do have to agree on the 4s. OMG Sam's joke of bothering not learning the Salsa as he wasn't expecting to be int the Bottom 2 and gonna learn through some dance tutorials. :dead: 

Rankings:
1. Courtney & Josh - Paso Doble
2. Olympia & Gustavo - Samba
3. David & Alexandra - Argentine Tango
4. Deni & Lyu - Foxtrot
5. Rob & Alarna - Quickstep
6. Sam & Ruby - Jive

The Top 3 nailed it once again! 2-3 are pretty much tied for me, but I'll switch the order around from last week. 4/5 are also kinda interchangeable for me too.

Olympia, David and Courtney were the first 3 celebs saved, as they deserved. Rob was the the last celeb saved and wow he & Alarna were surprised there. Deni and Sam were in the Bottom 2. Not too mad about this Bottom 2 but also wouldn't have been okay if Rob was there instead of Deni. Yikes so yeah I guess there was some truth to Sam not putting in much rehearsals for his Salsa. Wow looking forward to this. 

Deni vs. Sam in the Salsa Dance off: Deni definitely looked much more in her element here. She was having a blast and so much fun here. She performed well, had great rhythm, brought the hip action and danced it well. She had great confidence here. She did have a few moments of not being as confident and looking at Lyu at spots but it was solid. OMGG Sam! :dead: WTH was he doing in this? Lmaoo he was channeling his inner Latin hearthrob self I see. I died at how he was performing this character. But offff, the dancing was rough, stompy and he had no musicality. He was just so bumpy. He did a good job with those spins he assisted with Ruby on. But yeah Sam just gave a super fun, funny gimmick entertaining dance. Hee probably knew this was it for him so he just wanted to ham it up and have fun! LOL, but one of the funniest dances I've seen in awhile. :dead: LOL Sonia's reaction to this dance afterwards. LOL Todd's laugh at the deadlock comment Sonia brought up. UHHHH I don't know what the heck Helen was thinking in giving Sam a vote and voting him for his entertainment value. Thank goodness, Todd voted correctly in saving Deni. The way he was talking.... he did seem like he was entertaining the idea of saving Sam, which would have been yikes.  Glad that didn't happen.

Sam & Ruby were a lot of fun.... and yeah I enjoyed him as a person and performer on here. :haha: OMGGG him comparing his elimination to Ricki-Lee's shock elimination on Australian Idol, with her coming in 7th. Oh this guy. :dead: But yeah this was a fair elimination and I kinda don't mind having two weeks worth of Sam as he was so fun. 

Gerrard’s partner was actually Jess Raffa in her first season!

Hope Ruby gets a contender next time after Matty J and Sam, she’s proven to be a real professional in teaching them and challenging them to actually dance with her rather than her dancing around them to hide their weak dancing.  There’s still some past high-scoring male contestants to go around like Matthew Mitchum and Damien Leith.  

• Like 1

Spoilers Below

Rock n’ Roll Marathon - “Jailhouse Rock”/“Great Balls of Fire”
Grant & Lily - 10 Points
Kylie & Aric - 8 Points
Ricki-Lee & Jarryd - 6 Points
Anthony & Jessica - 4 Points
Kris & Shiobhan - 2 Points

Kylie & Aric - “Mas Que Nada” (Samba): 34
Grant & Lily - “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” (Paso Doble): 39
Ricki-Lee & Jarryd - “I’m Not the Only One” (Rumba): 35
Anthony & Jessica - “Puttin’ on the Ritz 2017 (Jazzy Radio Mix)” (Quickstep): 35
Kris & Siobhan - “Mi Gente” (Samba): 23

Overall Leaderboard:
Grant & Amanda - 39 + 10 = 49
Kylie & Aric - 34 + 8 = 42
Ricki-Lee & Jarryd - 35 + 6 = 41
Anthony & Jessica - 35 + 4 = 39
Kris & Siobhan - 23 + 2 = 25

Dance-Off:
Kylie & Aric vs. Anthony & Jessica vs. Kris & Siobhan - “You’ll Be Mine (Party Time)” (Salsa)

Helen saved Kylie, Paul saved Anthony, Mark & Todd saved Kris. Kylie & Aric and Anthony & Jessica were eliminated.

We FINALLY get the CLEAR weakest dancer of the group in the bottom and the judges can’t manage to do the right thing and send them home. :wacko: Ugh this is like the Manu being saved over Renee situation all over again. 🙂 

Edited by *Amanda