Baseball Thread

Kert

7 hours ago, ShortstopVM said:

Buffalo it is for the Jays - which I felt should have been their temporary home all along...

It sucks for the Jays players that they won't have a major-league clubhouse to call home like all the other teams will. But at least they have a home. I don't know if I buy it, but I've heard arguments that they're only team that will have a home-field advantage, because they'll be used to crappy clubhouse facilities, whereas visiting teams might get annoyed by it.

Jays beat the Rays 6-4 in their first game and are 1-0!

55 minutes ago, RWG said:

It sucks for the Jays players that they won't have a major-league clubhouse to call home like all the other teams will. But at least they have a home. I don't know if I buy it, but I've heard arguments that they're only team that will have a home-field advantage, because they'll be used to crappy clubhouse facilities, whereas visiting teams might get annoyed by it.

Another argument I've heard, was that the homegrown Jays players would already be familiar with the Bisons' stadium (and its dimensions), presumably having spent a considerable amount of time in Buffalo

At this point, the Marlins (and Rays, for that matter) should just consider relocating their home games out-of-state... 😨

EDIT: Also, the term cancelled, not postponed was used - that means the game won't be made up. Maybe this is due to the short season (and only very few rest days), but it might also be telling...

EDIT #2: MLB officially changed the status to postponed. PHEW!

Edited by ShortstopVM

I can't wrap my head around how the Marlins and Phillies were allowed to play yesterday.

I assume if MLB teams weren't exempt from the exposure/quarantine rules all of these states and cities have, most of them would have been knocked out already. Until the players accept that they need to be in a bubble for this to have any chance of working, it's just doomed.

Bases loaded for the heart of the order and what do we do? Strike out looking (Conforto), strike out swinging (Cespedes), and pop up to short to end the game (Cano). :argh: What a way to end a game that deGrom started... 🙄

On 7/28/2020 at 11:56 AM, *Laci said:

:blink: At the Cubs game yesterday! Our bullpen is just... ::sigh:: I'll take the W, though! 

Nice seeing you here, Laci! :w00twave: :hug:

On 7/26/2020 at 5:40 PM, sneaky said:

Somehow the Rays are 2-1 but we need to be a lot more consistent if they are going to make another playoff run at the Astros and Yankees

Making a run at the Astros should be a bit easier with Verlander out for a few weeks

Edited by ShortstopVM
  • Like 1

Seven inning doubleheaders:blink:

1) Sure, let's change the rules as we go along :rolleyes: Not only has the season begun, but the White Sox and Indians already played a nine-inning doubleheader this season.

1a) Maybe the MLBPA should've snuck that rule change in last week, five minutes before the season began...

2) GO THE :censored: BACK TO COLLEGE WITH THAT BULL- :censored:!

Out GIF - Umpire Ejection Boom GIFs

Edited by ShortstopVM

16 hours ago, ShortstopVM said:

Bases loaded for the heart of the order and what do we do? Strike out looking (Conforto), strike out swinging (Cespedes), and pop up to short to end the game (Cano). :argh: What a way to end a game that deGrom started... 🙄

Nice seeing you here, Laci! :w00twave: :hug:

Making a run at the Astros should be a bit easier with Verlander out for a few weeks

I thought about you while watching the 13 innings of the Dodgers. I really thought the Mets were gonna come back! :( 

The Cubs imploded yesterday. :( Hendrix even looked out of sync. Lester, Jeffress and Mills are the only ones I trust atm. We need a bullpen STAT! 

Here's to hoping for a W today!  

7 hours ago, *Laci said:

I thought about you while watching the 13 innings of the Dodgers. I really thought the Mets were gonna come back! :( 

And we did it again :wacko: Bases loaded in the eighth, and we pushed exactly ZERO runs across. Painful half-inning to watch. 😱

drag race no GIF by Robert E Blackmon

It seems like our offense struggle to score at home, but can score runs easily on the road... :unsure:

7 hours ago, *Laci said:

The Cubs imploded yesterday. :( Hendrix even looked out of sync. Lester, Jeffress and Mills are the only ones I trust atm. We need a bullpen STAT! 

Same here; whatever Edwin Diaz did in the Offseason clearly isn't working... :wacko: Our bullpen have collapsed in the last four Home games...

Edited by ShortstopVM

More teams have players who tested positive. I'm just going to enjoy this game by game tbh. I don't see how the season could go on much longer sadly. 

Idk how I feel about the seven inning rule.... I mean, I could see how teams with a balanced bullpen would be upset but this greatly helps the Cubs. :giggle:

Edited by *Laci

8 hours ago, ShortstopVM said:

If we're going to tamper with the integrity of the season *coughSevenInningDoubleheaderscough*, may we just play the rest of the season without the Marlins? 😏

I mean, this season basically has no integrity as it stands. Shortened schedules, new "divisions," no fans. And now games being cancelled every day. I'm basically just watching for fun.

They kind of have to do the seven-inning thing for doubleheaders, because the amount of doubleheaders the players will have to do is going to consume them physically. We're just a week into the season, and they've already postponed 30 games.

They have to contract trace, figure out how the players are getting sick, and determine if there are restrictions they can impose that would reduce reduce the cases. Absent any of that, the season cannot continue much longer at this rate. The league is going to be underwater with the number of games they have to make up, and eventually, players will get severely sick with long-term effects to their bodies, or worse. That would spell lawsuits.