🌻 Girl Named Tom Fan Thread 🌻

Bk1234

Looks like they've added a drummer and bass player to their touring lineup, at least for some of their shows. I'm curious to see how this affects their sound. I always thought it worked perfectly and was magical with just the 3 of them and their instruments, but CSN also started their tours with a guy on drums and bass.

I think this affects Josh most, as he no longer plays the cajon.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Es1234 said:

Looks like they've added a drummer and bass player to their touring lineup, at least for some of their shows. I'm curious to see how this affects their sound. I always thought it worked perfectly and was magical with just the 3 of them and their instruments, but CSN also started their tours with a guy on drums and bass.

I think this affects Josh most, as he no longer plays the cajon.

Maybe it will allow them to focus more on their vocals.

7 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Maybe it will allow them to focus more on their vocals.

Could be, though I think that would pretty much only apply to Joshua then. Caleb still plays his guitar and Bekah her piano, though I never noticed any difference in her quality anyway whether she was on keys (or guitar) or vocals only.

Maybe this way they feel their sound has a bit more substance or something to fill these venues? Of course a full drumkit has more options than a cajon (and I'm not sure if Josh plays full drums as well) and someone on bass means Bekah doesn't necessarily have to provide that on keys. Especially on songs that don't feature piano otherwise. 

I'm hoping I'll be able to go to multiple shows and it'd be interesting if one was just GNT and one would include the other 2.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 5:07 PM, Es1234 said:

Could be, though I think that would pretty much only apply to Joshua then. Caleb still plays his guitar and Bekah her piano, though I never noticed any difference in her quality anyway whether she was on keys (or guitar) or vocals only.

Maybe this way they feel their sound has a bit more substance or something to fill these venues? Of course a full drumkit has more options than a cajon (and I'm not sure if Josh plays full drums as well) and someone on bass means Bekah doesn't necessarily have to provide that on keys. Especially on songs that don't feature piano otherwise. 

I'm hoping I'll be able to go to multiple shows and it'd be interesting if one was just GNT and one would include the other 2.

They basically added a rhythm section. It'll give them a lot more options.

I always loved the story of how Simon and Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence took its popular form, and it's sorta relevant here. Their original recording was acoustic, and their album included it. The album was failing, but SoS began to get some play on college stations. Simon and Garfunkel were playing separately (Simon abroad), so the studio stepped in.  From Wikipedia -

"Folk rock was beginning to make waves on pop radio, with songs like the Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man" charting high.Wilson (studio guy) listened to the song several times, considering it too soft for a wide release.Wilson had a strong feeling about editing the song with explicit rock overtones. As stated by Geoffrey Himes, 'If Columbia Records producer Tom Wilson hadn’t taken the initiative, without the singers’ knowledge, to dub a rock rhythm section over their folk rendition, the song never would have become a cultural touchstone—a generation's shorthand for alienation.'"

Simon was "horrified" when he heard the new version - which had been released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sound_of_Silence

For want of a rhythm section, Simon and Garfunkel might have been lost. Good move by GNT. 😉

Edited by WastedinMemphis
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of videos, here's 38 minutes of the Bijou show in Knoxville, w one song from opening act. Seven Bridges and Jolene here.

Carolina in My Mind - Durham

Roses - Durham - original?

Dust in the Wind - Knoxville

Wichita Lineman - Knoxville

Getaway Train - Durham - don't know this one - original?

Helplessly Hoping - Durham

Evergreen - Knoxville

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WastedinMemphis said:

Speaking of videos, here's 38 minutes of the Bijou show in Knoxville, w one song from opening act. Seven Bridges and Jolene here.

Evergreen - Knoxville

thank you SO MUCH for this. I will watch some of them when I get the chance to.

• Like 1

You're welcome. It was a treat to find these.

i checked the BMI/Ascap databases and found that Caleb is the writer on Roses and Getaway Train.  Instantly liked Getaway Train. For Roses I need to listen again.  First impression of Roses is that a good producer needs to get hold of it with them - it has potential.

There are other originals in the 38 min Bijou video, including the first two  (I think - may have heard the second one from them before). Don't know names but per BMI/Ascap, Caleb has 20 original credits.

https://www.ascap.com/repertory#/ace/writer/1002251145/LIECHTY CALEB ANDREW

Joshua has 11 credits, mostly co-writes with Caleb but some solo.  This Too Shall Pass in the Bijou clip is a Joshua credit.

https://www.ascap.com/repertory#/ace/writer/1005105728/LIECHTY JOSHUA CHRISTIAN

Becca has 10 credits, mostly co-writes but some solo.  Couldn't identify any of her solo writes in the clips.

https://www.ascap.com/repertory#/ace/writer/1005123530/LIECHTY REBEKAH GRACE

They also need a good electric guitar slinger imo.  It would add a lot.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, WastedinMemphis said:

Evergreen - Knoxville

Thank you so much!!!! Lifesaver.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if they’re meeting fans after their shows? I got lucky and bought tickets to one of their shows today, but I remember vaguely hearing in one of their insta stories about them talking about signing autographs after the show but wasn’t sure if that was true or not? Just wondered if anyone here knows. They sounded incredible in that video with Jeremy though. Super excited to see them live!  💜

5 hours ago, GNT_fan said:

Does anyone know if they’re meeting fans after their shows? I got lucky and bought tickets to one of their shows today, but I remember vaguely hearing in one of their insta stories about them talking about signing autographs after the show but wasn’t sure if that was true or not? Just wondered if anyone here knows. They sounded incredible in that video with Jeremy though. Super excited to see them live!  💜

From what I've seen on their socials, it looks like they have been meeting people and signing stuff at pretty much every show. Of course that's not a guarantee, bit I think there's a good chance they'll do that at the show you're going to as well.

Which one did you get tickets to?

• Thanks 2

New interview up 

Some good stuff about TV experience and post-show relationship (none) and one of the few direct questions I've seen about Mennonite background.  Was most interested in this:

Looking forward, what should be expected in terms of new music from Girl Named Tom?

Josh: We booked ourselves so hard this year and writing is definitely going to be a part of it. We have a single that’s fully in the can. There’s a lot of stuff that has to happen before it can be released but it won’t be long until we have something out. We’re hoping to get a number of songs out this year, maybe a Christmas EP.

Caleb: Writing is still an absolute priority of ours but in the coming months it’s a secondary to playing live. Which is a bit of a hard pill to swallow, we really want to get a full album out but it’s going to have to wait.  

https://record.goshen.edu/news/girl-named-tom-qa

• Thanks 2

Fyi, I put a google alert on for these guys and get an email every day or so when there is a new story.  Have alerts set up for a few artists I follow.  Good way to keep up, get show alerts, etc.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Es1234 said:

From what I've seen on their socials, it looks like they have been meeting people and signing stuff at pretty much every show. Of course that's not a guarantee, bit I think there's a good chance they'll do that at the show you're going to as well.

Which one did you get tickets to?

I got tickets to one of their Indiana shows! Thanks for the information. ☺️

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, WastedinMemphis said:

Fyi, I put a google alert on for these guys and get an email every day or so when there is a new story.  Have alerts set up for a few artists I follow.  Good way to keep up, get show alerts, etc.

Yeah, that’s definitely a good idea. :thumbs:

10 hours ago, WastedinMemphis said:

New interview up 

Some good stuff about TV experience and post-show relationship (none) and one of the few direct questions I've seen about Mennonite background.  Was most interested in this:

Looking forward, what should be expected in terms of new music from Girl Named Tom?

Josh: We booked ourselves so hard this year and writing is definitely going to be a part of it. We have a single that’s fully in the can. There’s a lot of stuff that has to happen before it can be released but it won’t be long until we have something out. We’re hoping to get a number of songs out this year, maybe a Christmas EP.

Caleb: Writing is still an absolute priority of ours but in the coming months it’s a secondary to playing live. Which is a bit of a hard pill to swallow, we really want to get a full album out but it’s going to have to wait.  

https://record.goshen.edu/news/girl-named-tom-qa

Thanks. That's interesting, since they seem to be playing quite a few originals live already, but I guess not enough for a full album and not enough time to fully refine and record them. But while they're still selling out shows, they might as well play and build their fan base before the album comes out.

• Like 2