SYTYCD Routines Mini-Rankdown (NL5) (Round 5)

.Rei

AU3 RESULTS FINAL PART

(tie)4-5. Ivy Heeney & Robbie Kmetoni - "Sweet Disposition" - (Paso Doble by Jason Gilkison)

7psan5.gif

Watch Here

RANKINGS:

@totes4totes - 1

@FrogLenzen - 3

@kritaaay - 5

@*Wallace - 8

@Erestor - 8

@taylorkat - 10

@Zoey - 15

@.Rei - 18

Avg. Score = 8.50

COMMENTS

Megan

I really wish I could tie three routines at #1 because on any given day any of my Top 3 are my favorite routine of the season. I'm giving this one the nod because I feel like of the three it has the most chance of winning (because it has Ivy). LOL. It's also just really really excellent choreography by Jason Gilkison.

Derek

Jason is a genius. Bad Romance was great because it was a nice surprise to see these two dancers get together and do something fun and unexpected. But this is when this new pairing demanded to be taken extremely seriously and changed the course of the entire competition. Music, choreo, costumes. Beyond iconic. Love them.

Kriti

unfortunately the us11 group routine rewired my brain chemistry and now i tear up immediately at this song. i guess the dance was really good too. why do yall hate robbie.

Wallace

I always found this to be a very different take on a Paso Doble - it's creative and has a softer feel to it. I think it has a longer slow start to it but I do love the power and intensity that Ivy & Robbie bring to the dance as it progresses. They also create lovely Spanish lines and shaping throughout the dance. I also love the leg extension moves they showcase together.

Rei

Ok maybe I should have ranked this a bit higher but I still don't consider this to be top 5 of the season and I find it a bit overrated. It's a good routine but not a top Paso ever imo

(tie)4-5. Ivy Heeney & Phillipe Witana - "Colorblind" - (Contemporary by Sher Manu)

7psb3n.gif

Watch Here 

RANKINGS:

Gigi - 1

Wallace - 1

Patryk  - 5

Derek - 7

Rei - 10

Kriti - 12

Megan - 13

Zoey - 19

Avg. Score = 8.50

COMMENTS

Gigi

This is my favorite routine of the season. Maybe it's the pianist in me, I don't know, but it's beautiful.

Wallace

"Colorblind" has always been the routine of SYTYCDAU3 for me. I thought this was such a gorgeous and beautiful dance from Ivy & Phillipe. It's one of those dances that moves and gives me chills every time I watch it. 😢  Ivy & Phillipe have such stunning and romantic chemistry here and they sell the routine so well here. ❤️ Phillipe danced this routine well and had another great Contemporary routine under his belt. But once again, Ivy is simply divine and outstanding. I could watch her dance all day. Ivy's lines, technique and the way she dances.... FLAWLESS and STUNNING. :omg: Her leg extensions are just out of this world. That ending pose she does at the end while Phillipe plays the piano..... :omg: Simply outstanding dance. I think this stands a great chance of making the Top 4 (or so I HOPE so). I would love and hope this dance can win but I'm not sure if it can pull off the win but I hope so.

Derek

Gorgeous, understated, a little light on content, but totally memorable and flawless

Rei

I echo what Derek said. It's a routine that was obviously designed to get a wow moment from the audience and while not the most groundbreaking, it was perfectly danced and executed.

Kriti

no one is ever going to top megan's comment about this routine in Superlatives and no one should try

Megan

It's not that this is simple (I have equally simple "Heart's a Mess" much higher!) it's that it's to a COUNTING CROWS SONG.

3. Top 10 - "Tanguera" - (Ballroom by Jason Gilkison)

7psbll.gif

Watch Here 

RANKINGS:

Derek - 2

Patryk  - 3

Kriti - 4

Rei - 4

Megan - 8

Wallace - 13

Gigi - 14

Zoey - 14

Avg. Score = 7.75

COMMENTS

Derek

Okay there’s a reason why Jason is where he is in the industry. This is pure brilliance. Costumes, casting, dancing, choreo, music, it all comes together as pure theater perfection. Idk if any of y’all saw Burn the Floor back in the day but I saw a tour with Karen, Janette, Ashleigh, and Ryan and it was absolutely incredible what Jason was able to achieve and create an entire theater production. 

Kriti

yes, finally a splash of colour in a group routine! bless. even the youtube uploader deems this "I will not upload group routines but this is freaking fab," so who am I to disagree?

Rei

I have to confess that I now regret my ranking for this, I should have put this at #2. Is it one of the best group routines ever. Jason Gilkison is just a genius!

Megan

Imagine being ballroom dancer Jessica Prince in a ballroom group routine and the featured Jessica of this routine is contemporary dancer Jessie Hesketh. (Though somebody may point out that Jessica was injured wasn't she? She's still in this routine though!).

Wallace

This was another fun ballroom group routine this season. I think I prefer this one with it's Vegas card gambling concept and lots of recognizable Tango content. I love how there's lots of Tango dancingand how this feels like a true ballroom routine. This is one of those group routines that looks like something that could be from a movie. Fun and interesting to watch.

2. Ivy Heeney & Robbie Kmetoni - "Little Lion Man" - (Contemporary by Debbie Ellis)

7psc0h.gif

Watch Here 

RANKINGS:

Derek - 1

Gigi - 2

Kriti - 3

Megan - 9

Zoey - 9

Patryk  - 11

Rei - 12

Wallace - 12

Avg. Score = 7.38

COMMENTS

Derek

I wasn’t 100% sure what I’d put at #1 but after watching everything this one was it for me. So glad this is here. Chills upon chills. Amazing. Yet again showing a new side of themselves. 3 for 3 homerun routines at this point for them. Absolute forces in the competition.  

Kriti

the comments on the youtube video are wild due to i think this routine is perfect (not perfect but messy in a way that only enhances it tbh).

Megan

Ivy and Robbie are so good we can ignore Mumford & Sons.

Rei

Such a great routine and performed brilliantly by those two. Their highlight as a couple

Wallace

This is such an abstract, intense and in-your-face Contemporary routine. Ivy & Robbie both danced this with so much power and athleticism. I especially liked how they danced side by side of each other. I also love how Ivy just threw her into these lifts with so much ferocity and no inhibition. Such a gutsy routine.

1. Jessie Hesketh & Robbie Kmetoni - "Talk Show Host" - (Hip-Hop by Jason Bird and Katie Cesaro)

7psccz.gif

Watch Here 

RANKINGS:

Rei - 1

Wallace - 2

Kriti - 2

Megan - 2

Derek - 4

Gigi - 12

Patryk  - 16

Zoey - 18

Avg. Score = 7.13

COMMENTS

Rei

On the level of The Chairman's Waltz, Gravity, Black Mambo, Comptine, Forever and Hip Hip Chin Chin for me. One of the greatest routines this franchise has ever seen. Jessie annihilated this, I mean Robbie was also fantastic but Jessie was next-level.

Shoutout to @totes4totes for submitting her rankings and changing the whole Top 5 and letting this masterpiece win at the end :wub: :haha:

Wallace

I know this Hip-Hop from Jessie & Robbie was one of the most memorable and well recieved dances of the season... and deservingly so. I thought Jessie & Robbie did a great job with their characterization. Not only that, but I love how in sync and intricate they were with the choreography and the music. They danced softer moments, the hard hitting movements all so well. The emotion they had here was so raw and intense. This is one of those dances that I forgot how great it was. Oh I'm still not happy that Jessie only got 1 routine here but I'm glad this made it through.

Kriti

I think if you're going to do unconventional hip-hop, you should do it like this.

Megan

I feel like I have a reputation of being a HATER of lyrical hip-hop when that's like not the case at all. When it's done like this, they are my favorite routines of the season. And by "this" I mean good. Not whatever dumb stuff NappyTabs is doing to ruin my life.

Derek

A mandatory inclusion in the finals. So good from these two contemporary dancers. Thank goodness this is here instead of their cringe Avatar duet lol. 

Edited by .Rei

• .Rei changed the title to SYTYCD Routines Mini-Rankdown (AU3) (Winner Revealed)

Glad that Robbie/Jess Jazz didn't make it any higher than 8th.

Wow it's crazy how "The Flower Duet" could have won without Megan's vote and then it dropped down to #7/#6.  I wish it could have made the Final 5. :( 

Interesting order of this Top 5.

"Colorblind" robbed. :broken: 😭 Such a gorgeous routine but I'm still really happy to see it making it to the Top 5. Imma say it's 4th because I said so... and it showed up 2nd. 😘 

Pleased that "Tanguera" was the highest ranked group routine. That was very fun. 

Not me ranking "Little Lion Man" the lowest out of everyone. We're just going to forget that I ranked an Ivy routine lower than everyone else, lol. 🙈

The Jessie/Robbie Hip-Hop is fantastic and a very deserving winner. I'm not surprised it won and was expecting it to do so.

I don't know how I feel about Robbie winning and Ivy not winning though. :dead: But basing it on the routines, it's fair. :haha: I'm just feeling a little bitter lol. :giggle: 

23 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

I wouldn't have been happy with a Flower Duet winner so thanks to Megan for that. I don't think it deserves a #20 but her ranking made room for the great Top 5 so I won't complain lol

1. The Flower Duet

2. Little Lion Man

3. Tanguera

4. Talk Show Host

5. Colorblind

without Megan's

6 hours ago, *Wallace said:

Wow it's crazy how "The Flower Duet" could have won without Megan's vote and then it dropped down to #7/#6.  I wish it could have made the Final 5. :( 

I can’t believe you’ve turned into a hater

9 hours ago, *Wallace said:

Same, I will stand by my ranking on that one. 

Still, I did horribly this season :dead: And this is the one season where I ranked the group routines high. :rofl:Oh well! At least Tanguera made it to top 3 :wub: