Can you separate the art from the artist?

Misirlou

Can you separate the art from the artist?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Choose:

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends

The ever lasting debate, I want to see what IDF thinks about it. Are you able to separate between the art that say a musician, painter, writer produces and their personal life, even if it involves some controversy involved? Or do you stop consuming their products all together?

• 7 months later...

Over most of my life, I have been able to separate between the art and the artist.  As long as the art itself is actually good quality, etc., it makes it much easier to separate the two and focus on the art.  I will say though... for most of my life, artists didn't generally go out of their way to publicly disparage any particular group of people by categorizing people and making a certain group (or groups) feel inferior, nor did they feel compelled to attach themselves to current events and people's emotions about them... They didn't view themselves personal news broadcasters or commentators.  Social media has certainly made it more difficult for artists to focus on just their craft.  And some probably assume they won't stay relevant on social media if they don't address "hot topics".  For the longest time, artists tended to view themselves as ones who could bring people together and touch people in a universal, creative way.  I wish most of them kept their art as their main focus and drive.

• 1 year later...
On 4/5/2021 at 4:23 PM, Misirlou said:

The ever lasting debate, I want to see what IDF thinks about it. Are you able to separate between the art that say a musician, painter, writer produces and their personal life, even if it involves some controversy involved? Or do you stop consuming their products all together?

I thought I could do that if I like them, until last season of the voice:lmao:

• Haha 2