Beyoncé Fan Thread

*Wallace

• 2 months later...

Oops, I meant to bump this up earlier today. But Beyoncé kicked off her Renaissance World Tour in Stockholm, Sweden. :wub: I heard it was a 3 hour show with no opening acts... and she performed a ton of songs, of course. :wub: 

Some sources I found of the setlist of the Sweden show. (Though who knows if there could be some changes as the tour progresses?)

Opening Act

"The Signboard" (Introduction)

"Dangerously in Love 2"

"Flaws and All" (contains elements of "Adventures in the Land of Music")

"1+1" (contains elements of "Partition")

"I'm Goin' Down"

"I Care"

Renaissance

"Renaissance" (Interlude) (contains elements of "Cuff It", "Energy" and "Break My Soul")

"I'm That Girl" (contains elements of "Apeshit")

"Cozy" (contains elements of "Feels Like")

"Alien Superstar" (contains elements of "Sweet Dreams")

"Lift Off"

"7/11" (contains elements of "My House" by Chuck Roberts)

"Motherboard" (Interlude) (contains elements of "Can You Feel It")

"Cuff It" (contains elements of "Cuff It (Wetter Remix)")

"Energy" (contains elements of "Countdown")

"Break My Soul" (contains elements of "Break My Soul (The Queens Remix)")

"Opulence" (Interlude) (contains elements of "No Angel", "Pure/Honey", and "Ghost")

"Formation"

"Diva" (contains elements of "Just Wanna Rock")

"Run the World (Girls)" (contains elements of "My Power", "Black Parade" and "Alright")

"Black Parade" (contains elements of "Formation")

"Savage (Remix)" / "Partition" (contains elements of "Yoncé")

"Anointed" (Interlude) (contains elements of "Yoncé" and "Family Feud")

"Church Girl"

"Get Me Bodied" / "Before I Let Go" (contains elements of "Freakum Dress")

"Rather Die Young"

"Love on Top" (contains elements of "I Want You Back")

"Crazy in Love" (contains elements of "Freedom", "Work It Out", and "Green Light")

"Love Hangover" (Background singers intermission)

"Plastic Off the Sofa" (contains elements of "Virgo's Groove")

"Virgo's Groove" / "Naughty Girl" (contains elements of "Rocket", "Cater 2 U", "Signs", "Speechless", Say My Name", and "Dance for You")

"Move" (contains elements of "Move Ya Body")

"Heated"

"Find Your Way Back" (Interlude) (contains elements of "Flawless", "Already", "Kitty Kat", and "Heard About Us")

"Thique" (contains elements of "End of Time" and "Toxic")

"All Up in Your Mind"

"Drunk in Love"

Encore

"Mind Control" (Interlude) (contains elements of "Ghost", "Haunted", "Bootylicious", "Jumpin', Jumpin'" and "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)")

"America Has a Problem"

"Pure/Honey" (contains ballroom dance break and elements of "Summer Renaissance", "Blow" and "Cuff It")

"Summer Renaissance"

Link: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/beyonce/2023/friends-arena-solna-sweden-1bb99d04.html

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_World_Tour

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

So Beyoncé just dropped two new songs out of nowhere, of course. :dead:  I watched her SuperBowl commercial, which was fun and hilarious. Then she said "let's drop the new music" or something at the end of it and it had me shook wondering what that could mean. :dead: Anyway, They are "Texas Hold 'Em" and "16 Carriages." Looks like this will be Part 2 of Renaissance, which sounds like it will be the country album.

Ooh and might as well post her slayage commercial too. 

2 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

So Beyoncé just dropped two new songs out of nowhere, of course. :dead:  I watched her SuperBowl commercial, which was fun and hilarious. Then she said "let's drop the new music" or something at the end of it and it had me shook wondering what that could mean. :dead: Anyway, They are "Texas Hold 'Em" and "16 Carriages." Looks like this will be Part 2 of Renaissance, which sounds like it will be the country album.

Ooh and might as well post her slayage commercial too. 

Wally being forced to listen to and ranking country songs high. :wub:

• istersay changed the title to Beyoncé Fan Thread
  • 1 month later...

I got around to listening to Cowboy Carter and loved it! :wub: It was a long but great listen. I'll post my first thoughts on the songs:

1. "Ameriican Requiem": Oooh the opening of this song was bone chilling. Such pretty vocals. This song as a whole is really unique and interesting. It kinda has a funky sound to it - with some country and soul to it. I love those "looka dere" parts. I especially love the bridge of the song, I think around the 3:48 part where she sings that part a little faster and with so much conviction. She has some really pretty vocals towards the end. The last 40 seconds where it slowed down was especially gorgeous and bone chilling. 

2. "Blackbiird" (featuring Brittney Spencer, Reyna Roberts, Tanner Adell and Tiera Kennedy): Oooh I was so looking forward to "Blackbiird" as it's the Beatles cover and it features all of these talented black female country artists. Some good names in here but not gonna lie, it has me screaming "where is Mickey Guyton?" I also didn't know the intention behind this song, which was to give black women hope and keep fighting on during the Civil Rights movements. Anywho, this version was really gorgeous and moving as I was expecting it to be. Beyoncé sounds gorgeous on it, as do the female artists singing back on the background with gorgeous harmonies.  It was kinda giving me some Destiny's Child feels. Gorgeous and lovely. ❤️ It's too short and I wished it was longer (though I see the original is that same length lol). 

3.    "16 Carriages:" Okay now one of the songs I'm familiar with. Though not too familiar with and wish I had heard this one more often. But this is a really lovely, gorgeous and stunning song. ❤️ Such beautiful and moving song. She provides some gorgeous vocals. Love the parts where she sings fast in there. But the storytelling of it is really good. Certain parts are really bone chilling and heartbreaking - especially that part at the 1:50 mark and the 3:02 part - those parts really get to me. :broken: 

4.    "Protector" (featuring Rumi Carter): Aww it's so cute how Rumi is featured at the start of this. This is another really gorgeous and moving song. Beautiful singing and lovely and moving storytelling here. I love the positive and uplifting feeling of this song. I love those "I will be your protector"  and "I will be your projector" parts. Those stuck out to me the most but it's all lovely.

5.    "My Rose:" Ooooh those opening vocals and harmonies are so beautiful. ❤️ Gahh this is one of those super short songs. Love those "la la la la la, I love you" parts. Stunning little song but I wanted more lol.

6.    "Smoke Hour Willie Nelson" (featuring Willie Nelson):  Lol this is a fun and interesting interlude. lol the flipping of radio stations. lmaoo the Willie Nelson speaking bit. But I did not expect this to lead to "Texas Hold 'Em."

7.    "Texas Hold 'Em:" - JAM time! :bobo: hahaha Okay, I did like this when this first came out, but I will admit I didn't love it. It took me a few weeks to grow to love it. Lol I love it now and kinda really obsessed with it now. This song is always in my head these days. This song is so fun, catchy and has that feel good vibe to it that makes me happy. THIS AIN'T TEXAS WOOO. AIN'T NO HOLD 'EM. SO LAY YOUR CARDS DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN. :bobo: There are more fun and catchy parts to the song, namely the rest of the chorus, that I love and got me jamming! :bobo: This song has a fun mix of country, western, blues, soul to it and it makes me happy. 

8.    "Bodyguard:" Ooooh this has a fun, sensual and sexy sound/feel to it. The whole feel of the song has a breezy and sexy feel to it and Bey provides stunning vocals here. :wub: The sound is very unique and interesting to me. "I could be your bodyguard" and "I could be your lifeguard" are some fun parts that stick out to me. I also love those "Please let me be your Kevlar. Baby let me be your lifeguard" parts too. This is reminding me of something - I don't know why Post Malone's "Circles" comes to me when I listen to this but it does for some reason. :haha: This song is a vibe and so fun. 

9.    "Dolly P:" OMGG LOL I love this interlude. "Hey Miss Honey Bee. It's Dolly P" and then her comparing Jolene and Becky to each other. This all had me cracking up. :dead:

10.    "Jolene:" Ooooh I've been sooo interested and excited to hear this "Jolene" cover. I LOVE how Beyoncé took a modern take on the song and had some changes to this version. Instead of the lead begging Jolene not to take her man, she's warning her not to take him or else.... there will be some mess to deal with. :dead: I love the twists and changes she put here while staying true to the sound of the original. She sings this in a haunting and beautiful way. Some of the lyrics give me chills here too. :omg: It all sounds so personalized and that's what I love about it - that she makes it relate to herself and not sing it as a straight cover. 

11.    "Daughter:" - Oooof, this song is so dark, haunting and gives me some chills. It wasn't quite what I was expecting for some reason. I'm not sure what was I expecting. But it has that dark, haunting and twisted feel to it - with its lyrics and how she sings it. The “I am colder then TITANIC waters” and "how long can he hold his breath before his death?" line really stuck out to me. Oooh this song features some italian opera, which I was NOT expecting. What a twist there. But wow those vocals were seriously stunning and beautiful there. :omg: 

12.    "Spaghettii" (featuring Linda Martell and Shaboozey): The Linda Martell intro was very thought provoking. Oooh lmao wow this song was such a major shock turn and twist! :dead: It's like that Trapyonce coming out to play here. This definitely reminds me of some of her urban/trap stuff she did in the latter 2010s. And it has some funk in it too.  It's a jam and got that hard, aggressive feel to it. Ahh tshe's singing it so fast that it's hard for me to grasp all of the lyrics of what she's singing. But loving the intensity she brings here and there's some softness in there too. Shaboozey parts in this are interesting - not sure who he is, but he kinda has that Future/Migos feel here? 

13.    "Alliigator Tears:" This is a very smooth, pretty and enjoyable track. She's got lovely vocals and some good storytelling here. However, this song followed 2-3 insane tracks that had my mind blown and shook, while this one is good but kinda just there for me right now? It's probably one of those songs that needs some time to grow on me. It's definitely good. It's chill and smooth. But sometimes we need chills tracks like this to settle down from the insanity before this and after this.

14.    "Smoke Hour II" (featuring Willie Nelson): Lol oh more Willie Nelson here. lmao his "sometimes you don't know what you like until someone you trust turns you on to some real good sh*t" line had me cracking up. :lmao: 

15.    "Just for Fun" (featuring Willie Jones): OMGG the Willie Jones name looked familiar but oooo, this was the Willie Jones from X Factor USA from over a decade? lmaoo I'm shook. Okay this song wasn't what I was expecting either. It starts off soft, soothing and pretty. Bey sounds really pretty on the opening verse. I like how this song builds up as it progresses into the chorus/second verse. Willie's part sounds nice too. Overall, this is another nice, cool chill track that I do enjoy. But it's another one of those that would need some time to grow on me in comparisons to the other songs.  

16.    "II Most Wanted" (featuring Miley Cyrus): I never ever would have imagined a Beyoncé and Miley Cyrus duet ever in my life, so I am shook by this happening, tbh. :dead: But ooo I do love how they take turns singing their own lines in the verses. And I love how they sing and harmonize together on the chorus. The chorus is quite strong and powerful - love what they both bring there. They both sound really good and strong, separately and together here. This is fun and pretty cool.... and it's one of those songs I grow to love the more it progresses. I just kept raising it up on my rankings, lol. 

17.    "Levii's Jeans" (featuring Post Malone): This is another collabo I was interested in because I never imagined Beyoncé and Post Malone making a song together. :haha: But oooo, this is a hot, fun and sexy song. :bobo: Bey brings on some fun and hot vocals and love the attitude and sass she brings while singing this. :wub: Lol I was wondering when Post Malone was gonna come in and he came in so smoothly and in a part I was not expecting. :lmao: He sounds good and I really enjoy his parts on this too. Oooh yess, I love and am here for the fast singing Bey does on the bridge here. :wub: I LOL'd at the part of Post singing "You're my Renaissance." :dead: HOT jam! 

18.    "Flamenco:" This is another song that has such soothing, pretty and gorgeous vocals and harmonies. :wub: It's so lovely and beautiful. It's like heaven to my eardrums. ❤️ The song in general has a cool and chill feel to it. If it was longer, I could see myself loving this more.

19.    "The Linda Martell Show" (featuring Linda Martell): Ever since I saw that Linda Martell was going to be featured in the album, I did a bit of research on her as I'm not familiar with her. But I learned she's the first black country music artist to break into mainstream and (I think) perform at the Grand Ole Opry? I wish I had known of this before and I lowkey feel bad for not knowing. 

20.    "Ya Ya:" Oooh I have been really excited and interested in hearing this track, as what I heard about it (there being a lot of B'Day comparisons which is probably my favorite/most obsessive Bey era), feels like it would appeal so much to me.  And listening to this, yep I am soo here for this. There's so much going on with this song, it's insane. It's fun, interesting, funky and just makes you want to get up and dance. :bobo: I love the funky, soulful vibe of it - but it still has some country and retro elements to it. There's so much angst, attitude and sass in this. Love the strong, powerful and aggressive vocals Bey has here. OMGG the "Good vibrations" interpolation was not what I was expecting. :dead: I read someone say this reminds them of Janelle Monae and I can totally hear it. I am also getting and feel the Tina Turner inspiration for this song too. But yeah I'm loving this and could see this being a standout main favorite to me as time goes on. :bobo:  This song is just SO instant for me! 

21.    "Oh Louisiana:" Oooh wow, this is reallly interesting. It's fun, cute, funky and got an interesting feel to it. I like the heartfelt vibe of this song but it's still fun and catchy. It's so short. This is more of a short song than an interlude so I'll rank it amongst those. Not a standout but it's fun.

22.    "Desert Eagle:" Oooh this is another fun, sexy jam here. Loving the vibe of this song. She has sensual and hot vocals here. It reminds me of something that could have been in one of her more recent/later albums. This is so funky. Also this is one of, if not the song, I'm most disappointed with how short this is. I wanted SO MUCH MORE here. 😢

23.    "Riiverdance:" OMG I heard the lyrics of this song but had no idea which song it was referring to, but noww I know which one. :dead:  This is another hot and sexy jam that Beyoncé knows how to sell so well. omgg the difference between the chorus and the verses is quite while. Some of the verses are kinda sweet and nice to listen to - but then the chorus is raw, sexy and risque. It all has me shook. :lmao: But I love the sound/feel/vibe of it.  Oooh she provides some really pretty and lovely vocals towards the last minute and half of the song - I think on the bridge? I'm not sure. 

24.    "II Hands II Heaven:" This song has a breezy, chill kinda europhic feel to it? I think that's how I would describe it. It starts off smooth and chill but then it progresses and is really interesting. I like the buildup. She sounds really pretty and delivers some stunning vocals. I kinda feel like there's a bit of a gospel feel to it here. Ooh and the song actually being "Two hands to Heaven" has me shook because I did not get it when seeing the title. I'm seeing a lot of comparisons to this to "Virgo's Groove" which I guess I can kinda get. There's so many layers and so much depth to this song. It's all tough to break down on just one listen but it's intriguing and grows on me as it progresses. Wow those vocals on the last 30 seconds, phew.

25.    "Tyrant:" OMG the Dolly intro had me cracking up here. :lmao:  The opening vocals are interesting. It's very cutesy, childish sounding but it caught my interest? Then there's a trap, funky urban feel to it as the song gets to the meaty part of it. But it's also mixed in with some country musical instruments? There's quite a few different styles here but it somehow all works? This song has a fun, sexy feel to it. Love her vocals and the sexy feel of it. I think this does a great job of mixing R&B/hip-hop/trap to country violion/instrumental music. I'm loving it more and more as it progresses, and I feel I could grow to love this even more with more listens. :wub: 

26.    "Sweet Honey Buckiin'" (featuring Shaboozey): This song has one of the most interesting titles that stood out to me and I was really curious about the sound of it. Especially as I hadn't heard anything about it beforehand. 😮 Oooh that Shaboozey rapper is back. This song has an interesting mix to it - it has those R&B meets trap meets folk meets country to it? It's so tough to describe. I do like the storytelling Bey does here as it's really interesting to me.  She provides some really lovely vocals at the 2:16 mark. Then she brings in some hardcore aggressive feels - LOL those "buckin'," "like mechanical bull" and "loook at that horse" parts kinda had me cracking up. :dead:  But dangg it, the more I hear it, the more it gets stuck in my head. There's SO much going on with this song that I don't even how to describe or take it all in. It's not totally instant but I am very intrigued by it and can see it growing on me with more listens. 

27.    "Amen:" Oooh wow this is a gorgeous closing track. I feel that it brings everything all together. There is some beautiful and moving storytelling with this song. She provides strong, lovely and poweful vocals throughout the song. Lovely harmonies as well. Also, the vulnerability and emotion she has is quite bone chilling. Lovely closing to the album.  

I'll try to rank the songs and maybe even the interludes, separately. 

Rankings (based on just the first listen):
1.    "Ya Ya"     
2.    "Texas Hold 'Em"
3.    "Jolene"
4.    "Levii's Jeans" (featuring Post Malone)     
5.    "16 Carriages"
6.    "Tyrant"
7.    "Riiverdance"
8.    "Daughter"
9.    "II Hands II Heaven"
10.    "II Most Wanted" (featuring Miley Cyrus)
11.    "Blackbiird" (featuring Brittney Spencer, Reyna Roberts, Tanner Adell and Tiera Kennedy)
12.    "Bodyguard"
13.    "Protector" (featuring Rumi Carter)
14.    "Amen"
15.    "Desert Eagle"     
16.    "Spaghettii" (featuring Linda Martell and Shaboozey)     
17.    "Ameriican Requiem"    
18.    "Sweet Honey Buckiin'" (featuring Shaboozey)     
19.    "Flamenco"
20.    "My Rose"     
21.    "Alliigator Tears"
22.    "Just for Fun" (featuring Willie Jones)     
23.    "Oh Louisiana"

Interludes:
1.    "Dolly P"     
2.    "Smoke Hour II" (featuring Willie Nelson)     
3.    "The Linda Martell Show" (featuring Linda Martell)     
4.    "Smoke Hour Willie Nelson" (featuring Willie Nelson)    

I am not 100% sure on this. I do love or really like nearly everything and the ones that I just like, I could see growing on me. 

• Like 2

Cowboy Carter is amazing and my AOTY so far. I'm not 100% sure yet but I think I prefer it to Renaissance?

My favorites: "II Most Wanted" (my #1), 16 Carriages, Tyrant, Daughter, Riiverdance, and Amen

Edited by erik g
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, erik g said:

Cowboy Carter is amazing and my AOTY so far. I'm not 100% sure yet but I think I prefer it to Renaissance?

My favorites: "II Most Wanted" (my #1), 16 Carriages, Tyrant, Daughter, Riiverdance, and Amen

Ugh I really hope she can get that AOTY award though I won't hold out too much hope for it. 😭

Great set of favorites there though! :wub: