Official NHL Hockey Thread interim version

Mysteriosa

17 hours ago, RWG said:

They're also a team that had McDavid and Draisaitl, 2 of the best players alive, playing historical point totals on the same team at the same time, and they still got swept. I know Oilers fans don't like hearing this but the rest of the roster is not great.

Bieksa "McDavid is the best player in the whole world."  Bleh!  CBC made more time to praise their favourite player.

Oh, they got swept.  What a pity... :canadianwave:

Props to Draisaitl somehow playing on a high ankle sprain like a crazy person though.  And one of the holding penalties called against the Oilers  in the last game was dubious at best.

17 hours ago, RWG said:

Interested to see the end of the Lightning/Rangers series. Every time the Lightning look like they're out of gas, they seem to claw their way back into the series.

Annoying but true.  Though after watching Colorado and the Oilers, it seems somehow really a lot slower!

17 hours ago, RWG said:

I love how for literally every goal Smith lets  in, he immediately raises his arms and looks around like it's not his fault or shouldn't count.

A person on the radio said "he saves the goals you don't expect him to, then lets in the ones you expect him to save, that's him in a nutshell."  Not a bad description.  I was surprised the Flames take advantage of the fact he can not resist playing the puck, even when he really should not.  If anyone knows that, it is his former team.  The goal from far away was classic, as well.  He often hints at some kind of technical foul, even if there isn't anything there.

I kind of believe Kadri has grown up a bit.  I think they said on tv that Kane is a new father.  I don't think he has reformed at all.

17 hours ago, RWG said:

I know every NHL city has biased people in the media but Edmonton's media are basically just glorified fans.

I was surprised when I listened to the Lightning crew and they were criticizing their own team for being loose defensively.  Whereas the Oilers can do no wrong.  Must have been awkward when they lost 4 in a row.  :canadianwave:  

17 hours ago, RWG said:

The Canada World Cup team was supposed to play two friendlies in Vancouver and they both got cancelled. The first they scheduled against our pals Iran without checking with the federal government (oops), so that one had to be cancelled, and then to make up for it they were selling $30 tickets to a replacement game against Panama and that got cancelled because of a labour dispute between the players and organization. Very stupid given that they didn't even cancel it until 90 minutes before it was supposed to start. I know people who took the ferry from Victoria and others who drove from the interior and had hotels.

That is the thing that makes me annoyed at the team, because they knew very well they didn't want to play it, and still let their fans spend money to travel to their game.  Take it out on the organization not the fans, darn it.  That was a terrible way to treat their supporters.

Edited by Mysteriosa

I'm happy it's gonna be Lightning vs Avalanche. Those are just the best two teams imo.

Colorado is the deeper roster and the team that has looked stronger imo, but Tampa has a big edge in net and is emotionally/psychologically a very strong team. Hopefully it goes 6 or 7.

On 6/9/2022 at 4:55 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Bieksa "McDavid is the best player in the whole world."  Bleh!  CBC made more time to praise their favourite player.

Oh, they got swept.  What a pity... :canadianwave:

Props to Draisaitl somehow playing on a high ankle sprain like a crazy person though.  And one of the holding penalties called against the Oilers  in the last game was dubious at best.

Annoying but true.  Though after watching Colorado and the Oilers, it seems somehow really a lot slower!

A person on the radio said "he saves the goals you don't expect him to, then lets in the ones you expect him to save, that's him in a nutshell."  Not a bad description.  I was surprised the Flames take advantage of the fact he can not resist playing the puck, even when he really should not.  If anyone knows that, it is his former team.  The goal from far away was classic, as well.  He often hints at some kind of technical foul, even if there isn't anything there.

I kind of believe Kadri has grown up a bit.  I think they said on tv that Kane is a new father.  I don't think he has reformed at all.

I was surprised when I listened to the Lightning crew and they were criticizing their own team for being loose defensively.  Whereas the Oilers can do no wrong.  Must have been awkward when they lost 4 in a row.  :canadianwave:  

That is the thing that makes me annoyed at the team, because they knew very well they didn't want to play it, and still let their fans spend money to travel to their game.  Take it out on the organization not the fans, darn it.  That was a terrible way to treat their supporters.

I think it's sad how little the Oilers have done in all the years since McDavid fell into their lap. Little support outside of Draisaitl, mediocre defense, no goalie. The thing Ken Holland did to improve the team the most was Kane, a 40-goal scorer who just fell out of the sky that they didn't have to trade anything for or pay very much. He posted a message thanking Edmonton so I guess that means he's gone.

Mike Smith also gets credited as one of the great goalies at playing the puck but I don't know if that's accurate. He's maybe the most daring, but he makes a lot of mistakes.

Soccer fans in other parts of the country (Toronto) were making fun of the crowd iof 17,000 in Vancouver for the match against Curacao. Although it looked like less than that. They do know soccer fans in Vancouver got screwed over twice by cancelled games in the last week, and that Curacao probably isn't the biggest draw? Imo, that's probably more than they deserve after kaiboshing the game 90 minutes before kickoff. The issue is all this money Soccer Canada gets from FIFA for qualifying for the world cup. The president says they wouldn't be able to fund the rest of the programs if they were to give the players so much, but it's like how had you been funding them previously without the world cup money.

The coaching carousel is crazy right now. There are so many jobs and so many big names out there. Trotz is going to pick a team soon. I bet it'll be Vegas. Tortorella could be going to Philadelphia. Dallas, Winnipeg, Detroit, and Boston have openings too.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 12:03 AM, RWG said:

Colorado is the deeper roster and the team that has looked stronger imo, but Tampa has a big edge in net and is emotionally/psychologically a very strong team.

:w00twave:  I watched most of the final and for a while I thought they were going to throw it away but Colorado eked out a win.  And then it turned out Bettman couldn't attend, so double win.

I think it's sad how little the Oilers have done in all the years since McDavid fell into their lap.

Once they got him, they gave up on improving and just sat gloating instead.  #stillbitteraboutthelotterything

Mike Smith also gets credited as one of the great goalies at playing the puck but I don't know if that's accurate. He's maybe the most daring, but he makes a lot of mistakes.

I'd buy most daring.  He's a risk taker.  Half the time you're like, that was brilliant!  And the other half "No, God, why?"

Tortorella could be going to Philadelphia.

And he did.  

OH NOES.  Gaudreau isn't signed yet.  I'd think if he were keen, he'd have done it already.  Maybe he wants to play closer to home. (Eastern USA)  It would free up a lot of cash if he didn't though...  🦡  Also unsigned, Tkachuk.  Mangiapane.  Kylington.  Lots of people as seen here in a ctv article. 

Draft was boring as Flames had hardly any picks left worth mentioning.

In other news, Sean Monahan got a park named after him in Brampton. 

Edited by Mysteriosa

Last night it became official, that Johnny Gaudreau was not going to sign with the Flames.  I can't help thinking that the Flames should have been informed sooner, and now he just leaves when the team could have got something for him.  I am tired of how we trade away draft picks.  On the other hand, they threw bushels of money at him, and if we signed him it would be difficult to sign anyone else.

Supposedly the Islanders and Devils are fighting for him.

It does make me wonder about how he kept saying how much he liked living in Calgary, and now I suspect it was just PR.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:49 AM, Mysteriosa said:

Last night it became official, that Johnny Gaudreau was not going to sign with the Flames.  I can't help thinking that the Flames should have been informed sooner, and now he just leaves when the team could have got something for him.  I am tired of how we trade away draft picks.  On the other hand, they threw bushels of money at him, and if we signed him it would be difficult to sign anyone else.

Supposedly the Islanders and Devils are fighting for him.

It does make me wonder about how he kept saying how much he liked living in Calgary, and now I suspect it was just PR.

On 7/13/2022 at 5:09 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Gaudreau signed with Columbus?  Columbus?  Columbus.  What?

That's tough for Calgary. He took less money to go to a team that's worse than the Flames, not close to his home, and not really a city that's considered desirable. Supposedly Gaudreau likes quiet and is a "homebody" but that kind of flies contrary to some of the things you hear about him.

From the outside, it always seemed like he was going to leave. There were rumors about it over a year ago. I guess he strung the Flames along and convinced Treliving he'd consider it. The Flames probably thought this year would be their best shot at a cup. People say he doesn't owe anyone any explanation, but I also think Flames fans have a right to be mad about the position he left them in. I heard Eric Francis on the Vancouver radio station and he was very upset.

When the new Canucks mgmt came in they said they were going to make big changes and to expect fireworks, but so far they are just re-signing everyone and not making many trades. They signed Mikheyev and Lazar and some other people I don't know. It's been leaked all over that JT MIller would be traded by now, but he hasn't been. I think the Canucks are feeling pressure about his value declining, and may end up keeping him now. Jim Rutherford got pressed about it in an interview today and snapped at the host.

Bruce Boudreau got to meet one of his favourite wrestlers on live TV in the latest issue of wholesome Bruce Boudreau content. 🙂

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/canucks-boudreau-gets-surprise-wrestler-kevin-owens/?show_id=15237

That's cool about Monahan's park. I always forget about Monahan... he's completely faded from prominence from when it was the "Gaudreau and Monahan" Flames many years ago.

4 hours ago, RWG said:

That's tough for Calgary. He took less money to go to a team that's worse than the Flames, not close to his home, and not really a city that's considered desirable. Supposedly Gaudreau likes quiet and is a "homebody" but that kind of flies contrary to some of the things you hear about him.

The press conference in Columbus was bizarre.  It was described as not very well prepared.  Gaudreau said he'd always dreamt of playing somewhere like Columbus?

On the radio they talked to Francis, and laughed about the look of dismay when Calgary reporters showed up to ask Gaudreau about Calgary!  Particularly Francis, who he doesn't get along with.

Gaudreau was looking thrilled to be in Columbus, almost giddy.  Oddly he praised Columbus for having a great crowd at games (was the C of Red not enough?), and for having a positive locker room environment. (I don't know what this means in comparison to Calgary.  Was he tired of Sutter?)  He never thanked the Flames organization, which makes me think he fell out with them.  There are lots of rumours including that the ownership interfered.  And he knows next to nothing about his new team.  

Supposedly he was very close to signing with Calgary, and then suddenly over the course of like, ten minutes, changed his mind.   I can't imagine turning down 84 million.  In an interview Friday he said he wanted to be closer to home, like near but not too close?  It almost sounded like he's convincing himself.  I actually felt more annoyed with him the more he tries to clarify it.  He promised to do something for the fans, but I really think it's too late to make them feel better, especially when he acted so happy to be anywhere else.

I wouldn't mind him signing for more money, or actually saying in advance, hey I want to play closer to home so I don't think I am re-signing, but he kept saying he wanted to stay in Calgary, he loves it here,  he would love to win a cup here (after they were eliminated) and then turns out to have this long term plan for not doing that.  He strings along the management and the fans.  He can't leave town fast enough, for less money, in a place that is not home.  How can someone make a split second decision about the next 7 years of his life?  He kind of turned down the Flames and then ran out of options.  He wanted the Flyers, but they didn't have cap space, and no one else offered him as much as he expected.  It was in fact, idiotic.

Nikita Zadorov re-signed, and in an interview said he liked the way Calgarians are interested in hockey, his neighbours wish him luck on game days,  that it is like a religion and then he said, "I like being in the spotlight" which sounded like some kind of comment on someone else who doesn't.  I like Zadorov.  He is 6 ft 6.

Meanwhile hilarity: 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/calgary-news-anchor-takes-parting-shot-at-johnny-gaudreau-columbus-blue-jackets-during-broadcast-190638983.html

While Gaudreau had informed the Calgary Flames he would test free agency, his choice to join the Blue Jackets has angered many fans in Alberta and prompted CBC Calgary news anchor Andrew Brown to send a message to Gaudreau on live television when closing the broadcast on Thursday night.

“And that’s the news for now, I’ll be back here at 11, unless a news station in Columbus offers me way less money… and I’ll probably go do that.”

4 hours ago, RWG said:

When the new Canucks mgmt came in they said they were going to make big changes and to expect fireworks, but so far they are just re-signing everyone and not making many trades.

I guess they are thinking things over.  Slowly.

4 hours ago, RWG said:

That's cool about Monahan's park. I always forget about Monahan... he's completely faded from prominence from when it was the "Gaudreau and Monahan" Flames many years ago.

They are very good friends.  Monahan is always needing surgery for something, which is a pity, because I think they made a good pair back then.  Gaudreau has never been one of my favourite players, and now I guess that was just as well?  

It's like watching my team implode in the off season.  Explosion Reaction GIF

Now Calgary asked for arbitration with Tkachuk, and word is that Tkachuk wants to leave, so he'll probably get traded.  

Meanwhile Johnny Gaudreau wrote fans a letter saying he was torn right until the (literal) last minute.  He certainly gave the impression he couldn't get out of here fast enough.  He couldn't have handled it much worse.

Update:  rumours are that someone made personal attacks on Gaudreau, possibly the Flames owner Edwards, when the Flames gave G.  the offer he demanded and went silent and still didn't sign.  Might explain the frosty departure.

Sigh.

Other news:  

AHL mascot Scorch is coming back, "in some capacity".  If you missed it, he was introduced as the mascot of the Airondack Flames in Glen Falls 8 years ago.  He lasted only 5 days, because of his introduction video.  Immediately he was both public enemy number one and a fan favourite for being inept beyond all imagination.

Short version:  Glen Falls burnt down in 1864, so they thought it would be good to have Scorch be the last ember from that fire (because that will please the locals?), and that he fight a firefighter.  And win! 

Um...that was not a good idea.

Here is the latest article in all its splendour, and  the original disastrous video.

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/flames-mascot-scorch-returning

The AHL team moved from Glen Falls to Stockton, and now is coming back to Calgary.  And apparently Scorch comes too.

Then there's Edmonton.  Their owner Darryl Katz has been named in a court filing as paying an underage girl for sex.

Now having your star player run to Columbus looks like a nice day in comparison.  🦡  Next to that, Columbus is nothing.

Edited by Mysteriosa

On 7/21/2022 at 1:32 AM, Mysteriosa said:

It's like watching my team implode in the off season.  Explosion Reaction GIF

Now Calgary asked for arbitration with Tkachuk, and word is that Tkachuk wants to leave, so he'll probably get traded.  

Meanwhile Johnny Gaudreau wrote fans a letter saying he was torn right until the (literal) last minute.  He certainly gave the impression he couldn't get out of here fast enough.  He couldn't have handled it much worse.

Update:  rumours are that someone made personal attacks on Gaudreau, possibly the Flames owner Edwards, when the Flames gave G.  the offer he demanded and went silent and still didn't sign.  Might explain the frosty departure.

Sigh.

Other news:  

AHL mascot Scorch is coming back, "in some capacity".  If you missed it, he was introduced as the mascot of the Airondack Flames in Glen Falls 8 years ago.  He lasted only 5 days, because of his introduction video.  Immediately he was both public enemy number one and a fan favourite for being inept beyond all imagination.

Short version:  Glen Falls burnt down in 1864, so they thought it would be good to have Scorch be the last ember from that fire (because that will please the locals?), and that he fight a firefighter.  And win! 

Um...that was not a good idea.

Here is the latest article in all its splendour, and  the original disastrous video.

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/flames-mascot-scorch-returning

The AHL team moved from Glen Falls to Stockton, and now is coming back to Calgary.  And apparently Scorch comes too.

Then there's Edmonton.  Their owner Darryl Katz has been named in a court filing as paying an underage girl for sex.

Now having your star player run to Columbus looks like a nice day in comparison.  🦡  Next to that, Columbus is nothing.

Well, it looks like Treliving managed to flip the script on Calgary's offseason a fair bit with the Tkachuk trade. That is a really big return for him. I guess they don't know if Huberdeau will re-sign (and he is 30), but they still got a lot from Florida considering they didn't have much leverage.

I have to say the Glen Falls controversy over the ember seems like a bit much. It's not like anyone there now or their ancestors were around for that. Lots of teams are named after disasters (fires, hurricanes, earthquakes). 

The story about Katz and the underage ballerina is icky. There is also Hockey Canada currently very embattled over two separate abuse scandals involving the 2003 and 2018 World Juniors teams. Jake Virtanen is on trial in a BC court this week. And there are people who think hockey doesn't have serious culture issues.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a miracle!  New Year Smiling GIF

First we trade Tkachuk for forward Jonathan Huberdeau, defenceman MacKenzie Weegar, forward Cole Schwindt and a conditional 1st round pick in 2025.  I expected them to trade him for something not impressive (like a terrible player, a 3rd pick and a bag of pretzels with a beer coupon) and I was pleasantly surprised/shocked/amazed.

Weird press conference where Tkachuk is ecstatic to be in Florida (where apparently his dad is building a house).  No one misses us.  Though certainly it will be a warmer lifestyle.

Treliving this week met Huberdeau in Montreal for dinner. 

Must have gone well because Huberdeau just SIGNED for 8 years!  84 million, the biggest contract in franchise history. :omg:

Just how good was that dinner?!

Sportsnet:  did Flames overpay?

Me:  I can't live with the uncertainty that our nice shiny new players will disappear next year in free agency, again.  (since both H. and Weegar would have been UFA next year).  Somewhere in the US, a new Columbus player is a teeny bit sad.

Before that we managed to re-sign Mangiapane and Kylington.  Heck.

I did read that Huberdeau expected the Florida Panthers to re-sign him, and after some informal talks nothing happened, so he was shocked to be traded.  He was tied with Gaudreau at 115 points, and Flames haven't played yet, but we had a huge hole to fill, and this makes me want to watch hockey again.

It's like being dumped, and then finding a winning lottery ticket under the sofa.

On 7/23/2022 at 11:41 PM, RWG said:

I have to say the Glen Falls controversy over the ember seems like a bit much. It's not like anyone there now or their ancestors were around for that. Lots of teams are named after disasters (fires, hurricanes, earthquakes).

Oh, you never watched the video did you?  Or you forgot.  The controversy was Scorch facing off against a firefighter, who appears to fall down dead...

Um...what amazing PR!   (everyone was like, the firefighter isn't moving.  Is he dead?)  Followed by Scorch's untimely retirement.    The ember thing was just a bit tacky.  The Flames are named after the Atlanta fire after all.

Also new, our AHL team will be called the Calgary Wranglers now they are back in Calgary.

On 7/23/2022 at 11:41 PM, RWG said:

There is also Hockey Canada currently very embattled over two separate abuse scandals involving the 2003 and 2018 World Juniors teams. Jake Virtanen is on trial in a BC court this week.

I was sad about Virtanen, because I remember him as a promising WHL player, and then he got known for partying and stuff, and not playing to his potential, and now he's been on trial for sexual assault, though he was found not guilty.  

Hockey Canada deserves whatever it gets, because it just acted like this is normal behaviour that you can buy your way out of, and it makes me wonder if some of these people are now in the NHL.  

On the subject of behaviour, Edmonton stuck with Kane, so I'm interested to know if he can keep scandal free.  

On 8/4/2022 at 10:51 PM, Mysteriosa said:

It's a miracle!  New Year Smiling GIF

First we trade Tkachuk for forward Jonathan Huberdeau, defenceman MacKenzie Weegar, forward Cole Schwindt and a conditional 1st round pick in 2025.  I expected them to trade him for something not impressive (like a terrible player, a 3rd pick and a bag of pretzels with a beer coupon) and I was pleasantly surprised/shocked/amazed.

Weird press conference where Tkachuk is ecstatic to be in Florida (where apparently his dad is building a house).  No one misses us.  Though certainly it will be a warmer lifestyle.

Treliving this week met Huberdeau in Montreal for dinner. 

Must have gone well because Huberdeau just SIGNED for 8 years!  84 million, the biggest contract in franchise history. :omg:

Just how good was that dinner?!

Sportsnet:  did Flames overpay?

Me:  I can't live with the uncertainty that our nice shiny new players will disappear next year in free agency, again.  (since both H. and Weegar would have been UFA next year).  Somewhere in the US, a new Columbus player is a teeny bit sad.

Before that we managed to re-sign Mangiapane and Kylington.  Heck.

I did read that Huberdeau expected the Florida Panthers to re-sign him, and after some informal talks nothing happened, so he was shocked to be traded.  He was tied with Gaudreau at 115 points, and Flames haven't played yet, but we had a huge hole to fill, and this makes me want to watch hockey again.

It's like being dumped, and then finding a winning lottery ticket under the sofa.

Definitely a crazy offseason for Calgary, but they did stick the landing. I'm surprised Treliving was able to get that much for Tkachuk. I thought the only way he'd get that much was if it was known the main piece wouldn't want to re-sign in Calgary, but that's clearly not the case.

Meanwhile the Canucks do nothing. Oh, they are renovating some things in the arena and at the Abbotsford facility.

I read that Huberdeau and Treliving went to Boston Pizza cause T's dad owns it but that can't be serious.

On 8/4/2022 at 10:51 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Oh, you never watched the video did you?  Or you forgot.  The controversy was Scorch facing off against a firefighter, who appears to fall down dead...

Um...what amazing PR!   (everyone was like, the firefighter isn't moving.  Is he dead?)  Followed by Scorch's untimely retirement.    The ember thing was just a bit tacky.  The Flames are named after the Atlanta fire after all.

Also new, our AHL team will be called the Calgary Wranglers now they are back in Calgary.

I was sad about Virtanen, because I remember him as a promising WHL player, and then he got known for partying and stuff, and not playing to his potential, and now he's been on trial for sexual assault, though he was found not guilty.  

Hockey Canada deserves whatever it gets, because it just acted like this is normal behaviour that you can buy your way out of, and it makes me wonder if some of these people are now in the NHL.  

On the subject of behaviour, Edmonton stuck with Kane, so I'm interested to know if he can keep scandal free.  

I guess it can be offensive to firefighters, but the article talks about it being insensitive to  town's 1864 fire which I find a bit silly. It's not like they can do a video of it being safely extinguished.

I heard a lot of things about Virtanen during his time in Vancouver... basically none of them positive. The most charitable thing you could say about him was that he was too immature for that much fame. Kind of a tragic figure.

It seems like we are going to know the names of the players involved in the incident at some point. Who knows how many are in the NHL. It's clear this is just how Hockey Canada dealt with these things; it's ludricrous the people who were in charge for this now say they want to "lead the change." Speaking of which... the World Juniors are starting now, in August, for some reason (without any of the players who were drafted into the NHL participating), and I don't know anyone who cares.

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2022 at 10:25 PM, RWG said:

Definitely a crazy offseason for Calgary, but they did stick the landing. I'm surprised Treliving was able to get that much for Tkachuk. I thought the only way he'd get that much was if it was known the main piece wouldn't want to re-sign in Calgary, but that's clearly not the case.

Meanwhile the Canucks do nothing. Oh, they are renovating some things in the arena and at the Abbotsford facility.

I read that Huberdeau and Treliving went to Boston Pizza cause T's dad owns it but that can't be serious.

Is it hockey time yet? 

black and white fashion GIF

The wildfire smoke is gone now and thank goodness because it set off my allergies this year and it was miserable.

STUCK THE LANDING! 

leonardo dicaprio party GIF

Signed Kadri, which I didn't expect.

LOL, maybe it's serious.  Because...pizza.  Huberdeau has been giving lots of interviews.  He said he didn't want everyone asking him if he was going to stay, he just wanted to sign and get on with things.  

It's going to be super weird because it is the Calgary Flames, and yet, it isn't.  Extreme renovation.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:25 PM, RWG said:

I heard a lot of things about Virtanen during his time in Vancouver... basically none of them positive. The most charitable thing you could say about him was that he was too immature for that much fame. Kind of a tragic figure.

Apparently Edmonton likes controversy... Hums....  They gave him a tryout agreement.  Oh, Mike Smith failed his physical.  

Juniors won and I didn't watch and I didn't care.  That was sad.

Oooo.  Sutter just cast cold cold shade on Tkachuk.  

And that's why Sutter is kind of fun, in a deadpan stone cold expression kind of way.  Here he has a certain look in his eye, and then "unleash the hounds!" :lmao: Memo to self:  don't ask him the diff between Tkachuk and Toffoli.  This could be fun though.  Ask him to compare someone else...

On 9/23/2022 at 3:21 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Is it hockey time yet? 

black and white fashion GIF

The wildfire smoke is gone now and thank goodness because it set off my allergies this year and it was miserable.

This summer wasn't too bad for smoke, but we got some in September. It's exhausting. I went to bed at 8 on the smokiest day we had.

I am ready for some cooler weather. And hockey.

On 9/23/2022 at 3:21 PM, Mysteriosa said:

LOL, maybe it's serious.  Because...pizza.  Huberdeau has been giving lots of interviews.  He said he didn't want everyone asking him if he was going to stay, he just wanted to sign and get on with things.  

It's going to be super weird because it is the Calgary Flames, and yet, it isn't.  Extreme renovation.

Apparently Edmonton likes controversy... Hums....  They gave him a tryout agreement.  Oh, Mike Smith failed his physical.  

Juniors won and I didn't watch and I didn't care.  That was sad.

Oooo.  Sutter just cast cold cold shade on Tkachuk.  

And that's why Sutter is kind of fun, in a deadpan stone cold expression kind of way.  Here he has a certain look in his eye, and then "unleash the hounds!" :lmao: Memo self:  don't ask him the diff between Tkachuk and Toffoli.  This could be fun though.  Ask him to compare someone else...

With Kane I understand the deal you're  making with the devil, but Virtanen is not worth the PR hit. There are better players than him that haven't gotten PTOs. I don't get the Oilers' calculus. But it sounds like he hasn't been very good so probably won't make the team anyways.

I feel like Tkachuk got off easy from Calgary. Because it happened right after Gaudreau, whom they got nothing for, Flames fans seemed to be like "oh well  at least he was honest unlike Gaudreau." Usually a player becomes pretty unpopular in a city when he says he has no interest in re-signing in said city. Darryl seems to agree with me.

The Canucks are off to a terrific start. Two of their top-six forwards and a defenseman have already gotten significant injuries. Oh  yeah, Francesco Aquilini, the owner, is in pretty big doodoo. He's in court with his ex-wife over child support payments for his kids' tuition, and it's come out that his adult children want no contact with him because he abused them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/canucks-owner-child-support-payments-1.6598208

I've thought before, more than once, that the Aquilinis would replace Francesco as chairman, but he always survives the scandals. Maybe he's really on his ninth life this time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 10:59 PM, RWG said:

With Kane I understand the deal you're  making with the devil, but Virtanen is not worth the PR hit.

Apparently they agreed because they cut him loose.

On 9/28/2022 at 10:59 PM, RWG said:

I feel like Tkachuk got off easy from Calgary. Because it happened right after Gaudreau, whom they got nothing for, Flames fans seemed to be like "oh well  at least he was honest unlike Gaudreau."

We'll see how they feel when he visits.  He seems to be scoring for his new team.  Gaudreau didn't for like, three games, but now he is.  He's always dreamed of playing in Columbus... 

That was the first opening season game the Flames have won in 13 years!  And beat Colorado 5-3 (though Colorado was on a back to back game and had stayed up all night celebrating getting their cup rings/slogging to the airport in the small hours, but a win is a win).

Then Flames beat the Oilers 4-3 (excellent) and Vegas 3-2 (bit more difficult).

Then Buffalo beat the Flames 6-3, as Flames were not playing very well and the Sabres are bouncing back from their time in the abyss.

Flames signed goalie Vladar to a 2 yr extension.

Someone in my family took a brief holiday and brought back some Covid.  And I caught it despite all my precautions.  But it was a fairly mild case, so I'm glad for that, and glad the aches have finally gone away.  Spent ages not getting anything done at all while not being able to go anywhere.  

Huge snow last night.  ❄️   ☃️❄️❄️❄️

Not really liking the weird retro pedestal jerseys.

Edited by Mysteriosa

On 10/22/2022 at 2:18 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Apparently they agreed because they cut him loose.

We'll see how they feel when he visits.  He seems to be scoring for his new team.  Gaudreau didn't for like, three games, but now he is.  He's always dreamed of playing in Columbus... 

That was the first opening season game the Flames have won in 13 years!  And beat Colorado 5-3 (though Colorado was on a back to back game and had stayed up all night celebrating getting their cup rings/slogging to the airport in the small hours, but a win is a win).

Then Flames beat the Oilers 4-3 (excellent) and Vegas 3-2 (bit more difficult).

Then Buffalo beat the Flames 6-3, as Flames were not playing very well and the Sabres are bouncing back from their time in the abyss.

Flames signed goalie Vladar to a 2 yr extension.

Someone in my family took a brief holiday and brought back some Covid.  And I caught it despite all my precautions.  But it was a fairly mild case, so I'm glad for that, and glad the aches have finally gone away.  Spent ages not getting anything done at all while not being able to go anywhere.  

Huge snow last night.  ❄️   ☃️❄️❄️❄️

Not really liking the weird retro pedestal jerseys.

Sorry to hear covid found you, but glad it was mild. Hope the rest of your family is ok too. I had it in like January and am sort of surprised I haven't gotten it again yet. Muscle aches were the main symptom for me too.

Wow it is early for snow. We've had an insanely dry fall and set records for the least amount of precipitation. It was also in the mid-20s for much of September and half October. But finally we're getting rain and wind and dark now.

Two-year contract for Darth Vader!

It must be nice to have a team that wins sometimes. The Canucks have started 0-5-2 lol. The season is basically shot; mathematically it is going to be very difficult for them to recover from this and make the playoffs. The hilarious part is that they had multi-goal leads in all of the first 4 games, and a one-goal lead in the 3rd period in another game.

This team has been hopeless for so long that I honestly don't even care how much they suck anymore. The failing does absolutely to my mood these days. It's less of a team I'm a fan and more of a soap opera I sort of follow for entertainment purposes.

Also, the NHL has turned its broadcasts into utter garbage. Sportsnet's have always sucked but now it is borderline unwatchable. They have digitally enhanced ads on the boards, which glitch constantly and cause the players and puck to disappear when they go into the corners. And gambling commercials every instant, even after icing calls when it's not even a commercial break. Insane. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 12:47 AM, RWG said:

Sorry to hear covid found you, but glad it was mild. Hope the rest of your family is ok too. I had it in like January and am sort of surprised I haven't gotten it again yet. Muscle aches were the main symptom for me too.

Wow it is early for snow. We've had an insanely dry fall and set records for the least amount of precipitation. It was also in the mid-20s for much of September and half October. But finally we're getting rain and wind and dark now.

It took a while for me to get my voice back.  Last week I sounded like a character from Nightmare Before Christmas...LOL.  Someone else in the family who lives in a different city has it now.  Not my fault.

SNOW.  Snow snow snow.  I can't believe how fast Calgary got heavy snow.  It looks like February out there now.  There is a huge snow shelf outside my window hanging off the roof.  Next week it is super cold too, and more snow.

Two-year contract for Darth Vader!

It must be nice to have a team that wins sometimes. The Canucks have started 0-5-2 lol. The season is basically shot; mathematically it is going to be very difficult for them to recover from this and make the playoffs. The hilarious part is that they had multi-goal leads in all of the first 4 games, and a one-goal lead in the 3rd period in another game.

Yay!  

Emphasis on sometimes.  Calgary has lost to the Oilers, and then the Kraken.  Sutter told Huberdeau to be faster.  Next up Nashville.

Canucks might go on a run, you never know.

This team has been hopeless for so long that I honestly don't even care how much they suck anymore. The failing does absolutely to my mood these days. It's less of a team I'm a fan and more of a soap opera I sort of follow for entertainment purposes.

Calgary narrowly escaped being completely irrelevant this season.  I'm not sure about what Vancouver could do to turn it around, but it's not impossible.

I see Ottawa is for sale now.  Soap opera of yesteryear.

Also, the NHL has turned its broadcasts into utter garbage. Sportsnet's have always sucked but now it is borderline unwatchable. They have digitally enhanced ads on the boards, which glitch constantly and cause the players and puck to disappear when they go into the corners. And gambling commercials every instant, even after icing calls when it's not even a commercial break. Insane.

Mostly I listen to it on the radio.  A bit inconvenient when occasionally Derek the commentator forgets to commentate, so sometimes there is just a weird silence!  I am tired of the gambling push.  I keep meaning to complain about it.  I see now there are ads asking people to be responsible.  If you're addicted to gambling, you're unable to set limits.  I think it is irresponsible for them to advertise it so much.  Even on the radio they are always talking about odds.  Give it up already!

• 3 weeks later...

For a while Calgary just lost and lost, and lost!  7 games in a row, despite going on the road.  Here's the thing.  If Tanev gets injured, our whole team tanks.  Then he came back.

Won over Winnipeg and LA Kings at home.  Lost miserably to Tampa on the road.

We won against Florida in the shootout on Saturday, which was sweet, especially when Markstrom saved Tkachuk's shot and then held up his glove to show everyone in a hilarious way.  Tkachuk didn't re-sign with Calgary and keeps telling everyone how warm Florida is and how he goes to work in his flip flops so revenge is sweet.  Huberdeau scored in the shootout. 

It was sweet how Florida fans had signs in the warmup for Huberdeau and Weegar who were unexpectedly traded to Calgary.

How weird are the Florida 3rd retro jerseys?  I can't decide if I like them or if they are wicked tacky. 

Then Flames squeaked a win over the Flyers.  The Flyers are missing tons of people, I think 1 defence and 5 forwards?  And we still almost gave it away to them.  The score 5-2 does not show how close it was.

Lately when I watch them on TV the whole signal keeps pixellating.  It's not usually this bad.  People go in for a check and freeze, and sometimes the team on the rush actually evaporates.  Not good.

I can't seem to pivot to soccer, either.  For me it is not a November thing!

On 11/3/2022 at 4:51 PM, Mysteriosa said:

It took a while for me to get my voice back.  Last week I sounded like a character from Nightmare Before Christmas...LOL.  Someone else in the family who lives in a different city has it now.  Not my fault.

SNOW.  Snow snow snow.  I can't believe how fast Calgary got heavy snow.  It looks like February out there now.  There is a huge snow shelf outside my window hanging off the roof.  Next week it is super cold too, and more snow.

Yay!  

Emphasis on sometimes.  Calgary has lost to the Oilers, and then the Kraken.  Sutter told Huberdeau to be faster.  Next up Nashville.

Canucks might go on a run, you never know.

Calgary narrowly escaped being completely irrelevant this season.  I'm not sure about what Vancouver could do to turn it around, but it's not impossible.

I see Ottawa is for sale now.  Soap opera of yesteryear.

Mostly I listen to it on the radio.  A bit inconvenient when occasionally Derek the commentator forgets to commentate, so sometimes there is just a weird silence!  I am tired of the gambling push.  I keep meaning to complain about it.  I see now there are ads asking people to be responsible.  If you're addicted to gambling, you're unable to set limits.  I think it is irresponsible for them to advertise it so much.  Even on the radio they are always talking about odds.  Give it up already!

We're supposed to get snow tomorrow. But  unlike in Calgary, when it snows here everyone stays home from work/school and the whole city basically shuts down.

The Canucks have sort of turned it around. They won 5 of 6  and just swept the road trip against Vegas, Colorado, and San Jose. They are 9-5-1 since the first road trip. The trend doesn't look that sustainable tbh, but they are kind of back in it because of how abysmal the Western Conference has been.

On 11/22/2022 at 4:33 PM, Mysteriosa said:

For a while Calgary just lost and lost, and lost!  7 games in a row, despite going on the road.  Here's the thing.  If Tanev gets injured, our whole team tanks.  Then he came back.

Won over Winnipeg and LA Kings at home.  Lost miserably to Tampa on the road.

We won against Florida in the shootout on Saturday, which was sweet, especially when Markstrom saved Tkachuk's shot and then held up his glove to show everyone in a hilarious way.  Tkachuk didn't re-sign with Calgary and keeps telling everyone how warm Florida is and how he goes to work in his flip flops so revenge is sweet.  Huberdeau scored in the shootout. 

It was sweet how Florida fans had signs in the warmup for Huberdeau and Weegar who were unexpectedly traded to Calgary.

How weird are the Florida 3rd retro jerseys?  I can't decide if I like them or if they are wicked tacky. 

Then Flames squeaked a win over the Flyers.  The Flyers are missing tons of people, I think 1 defence and 5 forwards?  And we still almost gave it away to them.  The score 5-2 does not show how close it was.

Lately when I watch them on TV the whole signal keeps pixellating.  It's not usually this bad.  People go in for a check and freeze, and sometimes the team on the rush actually evaporates.  Not good.

I can't seem to pivot to soccer, either.  For me it is not a November thing!

That sounds familiar about Tanev. And he gets injured a lot. Still, he was such a fearless player for us. The way he'd just throw his body in front of pucks travelling 100mph every game. It was obvious the team really missed him when we lost him.

I heard Flames fans are now arguing about whether Vladar should start over Markstrom... the Canucks are sort of having that debate, though it's largely because the team seems to score a lot more when Spencer Martin is in net than when Demko is.

The Panthers jerseys are a sight to see. I guess they're copying the Atlanta Thrashers and wearing them against the Flames because of their connection to Atlanta?

Do you mean the digitally enhanced ads on the boards? They are awful. Players do disappear in the corners and the pixelating is awful. The technology doens't seem ready for TV yet, but the NHL doesn't care because Bettman is willing to make up revenue any way possible. Ads on the helmets, the digital ads on the boads, the mini  commercials between whistles, the gambling stuff. They may as well have the coaches dress like NASCAR drivers at this point.

Well Canada is already dead in the World Cup, but oh  well. Go England I guess.

On 11/24/2022 at 9:15 AM, ShortstopVM said:

I'm not happy with the Rangers trading away Reavo; who's going to be the enforcer for our team now? What's going to happen when someone cheapshots Igor🙄

Seriously, every other team in the East just exhaled, knowing that they don't have to fear us as much without Reaves... :wacko:

There are still random players I miss, like Byron who left on waivers a few years ago.  For enforcement Flames have Big Z (Zadorov) who is 6 ft 6!  And Lucic.

On 11/24/2022 at 9:20 AM, ShortstopVM said:

At least the time differences are able to make us separate futbol from hockey, for the most part? 🤔

I have to say I am liking the time difference, because I don't always have to get up at 5 am.  I'm back into it now.  England made it through, yay!  Ooo Germany, that wasn't good.  Yay Messi!  He's still got it.  Still weird though.  Soccer at Christmas!  And it is -22 degrees Celsius.

On 11/29/2022 at 12:52 AM, RWG said:

We're supposed to get snow tomorrow. But  unlike in Calgary, when it snows here everyone stays home from work/school and the whole city basically shuts down.

The Canucks have sort of turned it around. They won 5 of 6  and just swept the road trip against Vegas, Colorado, and San Jose. They are 9-5-1 since the first road trip. The trend doesn't look that sustainable tbh, but they are kind of back in it because of how abysmal the Western Conference has been.

Calgary is all weather, LOL.  It was super cold, then two days of OK, then more cold and it's snowing.

Calgary won over Capitals, who have tons of injured players and we took out another player and their goaltender...

Won vs Arizona after a shaky start.

That sounds familiar about Tanev. And he gets injured a lot. Still, he was such a fearless player for us. The way he'd just throw his body in front of pucks travelling 100mph every game. It was obvious the team really missed him when we lost him.

I heard Flames fans are now arguing about whether Vladar should start over Markstrom... the Canucks are sort of having that debate, though it's largely because the team seems to score a lot more when Spencer Martin is in net than when Demko is.

Tanev is crazy!  In a good way.  Our team is terrible without him.

Markstrom had a mental moment in the Montreal game 13 seconds in and decided to throw himself at the puck, but the freshly smoothed ice meant he slid too far, and missed the puck, which then went in our net.  After the game said "I suck at hockey" which is never a good sign. 

That was Montreal visiting, and Sean Monahan got a standing ovation since it was the first time since being traded away and it was really sweet, because after the game when someone asked if that chapter was closed (something Tkachuk always says), Monahan said it would never be closed because he has a special feeling about Calgary.  Aw.  And he was really emotional about it.  He's had so much surgery for a young guy.

The Panthers jerseys are a sight to see. I guess they're copying the Atlanta Thrashers and wearing them against the Flames because of their connection to Atlanta?

I really don't know why.  But the Flames have been wearing their black horse jerseys (Blasty), and then in the reverse retro Pedestal ones which are also black.  I used to really like the strange black Thrasher jerseys, in all their slightly unsightly glory.

Do you mean the digitally enhanced ads on the boards? They are awful. Players do disappear in the corners and the pixelating is awful. The technology doens't seem ready for TV yet, but the NHL doesn't care because Bettman is willing to make up revenue any way possible. Ads on the helmets, the digital ads on the boads, the mini  commercials between whistles, the gambling stuff. They may as well have the coaches dress like NASCAR drivers at this point.

Well Canada is already dead in the World Cup, but oh  well. Go England I guess.

Actually it was the actual signal where sometimes it would freeze, or totally pixelate, like the satellite was having issues.  At the time there was no active weather.  It was like that two or three games in a row. Awful!  I've seen the digital ads, which I always think are stupid.

I watched Canada's games.  I mean, I've never got to do that before!  I liked their scrappiness against Belgium, and I wished they'd scored in that game.  My fall back team in the past was usually Germany, with England as my first choice.  Added time can break your heart, people...

Flames are going to play Vancouver tonight.

Last game poor Tanev took a puck in the head, but seems OK, which is a relief because that was serious.

Flames new habit:  taking penalties especially ones in over time.  Why?  I don't know.    Last game a 4 minute penalty for high sticking in OT.  The game before that, a penalty in the first 3 seconds of OT (after a 3rd period involving a 4 minute penalty, followed by our goaltender getting one).

Our goalie Markstrom has improved and the whole team is now playing worse!  Um...hmm.  I don't know.  GM is making Sutter play younger players.  

On 12/6/2022 at 9:05 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Tanev is crazy!  In a good way.  Our team is terrible without him.

Markstrom had a mental moment in the Montreal game 13 seconds in and decided to throw himself at the puck, but the freshly smoothed ice meant he slid too far, and missed the puck, which then went in our net.  After the game said "I suck at hockey" which is never a good sign. 

That was Montreal visiting, and Sean Monahan got a standing ovation since it was the first time since being traded away and it was really sweet, because after the game when someone asked if that chapter was closed (something Tkachuk always says), Monahan said it would never be closed because he has a special feeling about Calgary.  Aw.  And he was really emotional about it.  He's had so much surgery for a young guy.

I really don't know why.  But the Flames have been wearing their black horse jerseys (Blasty), and then in the reverse retro Pedestal ones which are also black.  I used to really like the strange black Thrasher jerseys, in all their slightly unsightly glory.

Actually it was the actual signal where sometimes it would freeze, or totally pixelate, like the satellite was having issues.  At the time there was no active weather.  It was like that two or three games in a row. Awful!  I've seen the digital ads, which I always think are stupid.

I watched Canada's games.  I mean, I've never got to do that before!  I liked their scrappiness against Belgium, and I wished they'd scored in that game.  My fall back team in the past was usually Germany, with England as my first choice.  Added time can break your heart, people...

I remember from last playoffs the Flames just seemed to fall apart in the games Tanev was out injured. He is often injured though I think less in Calgary than in Vancouver because his team isn't playing without the puck all the time anymore.

I thought it was weird that Tkachuk got an ovation from the Flames fans.

The Flames' black jerseys are basically the same colour scheme as the 90s black skate Canucks jerseys. And the Vegas Knights have one that's nearly an exact copy.

He also said the digital ads are working "extraordinarily well." LOL. Gary Bettman really sounds like Donald Trump a lot of the time. You'd think he could say something like "The digital ads are an important revenue stream for the league, it's a new technology and it will improve." But no, he just has to say the criticism isn't real and the countless fans complaining about the pixelating don't exist. 

On 12/14/2022 at 6:59 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Flames are going to play Vancouver tonight.

Last game poor Tanev took a puck in the head, but seems OK, which is a relief because that was serious.

Flames new habit:  taking penalties especially ones in over time.  Why?  I don't know.    Last game a 4 minute penalty for high sticking in OT.  The game before that, a penalty in the first 3 seconds of OT (after a 3rd period involving a 4 minute penalty, followed by our goaltender getting one).

Our goalie Markstrom has improved and the whole team is now playing worse!  Um...hmm.  I don't know.  GM is making Sutter play younger players.  

The Canucks somehow won that game. 4-3 is actually a tight game for them. They've actually won 10 out of 14 games but have had to score 5 or more goals in most of them.

Bo Horvat is probably going to be traded and it's probably going to be for a mediocre center in his 20s and not assets that could actually help  the team in the future. As long as we're stuck with this team it's always going to be a middling roster whose  goal is to host  2 or 3 playoff games every year. Yay!

Flames have had a pretty mediocre start. And the Huberdeau contract kind of looks like it might be a problem.

Edited by RWG

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 12:39 AM, RWG said:

I remember from last playoffs the Flames just seemed to fall apart in the games Tanev was out injured. He is often injured though I think less in Calgary than in Vancouver because his team isn't playing without the puck all the time anymore.

In the last game vs the Kraken, I didn't realize Tanev's brother is on the Kraken team, and the commentator didn't mention it, so at one point Tanev was everywhere, but it wasn't the same one...LOL.  :lmao:  Tanev shoots on Markstrom...um...hmm.

I thought it was weird that Tkachuk got an ovation from the Flames fans.

Well from some of them.  He also got booed a lot every time he had the puck.  Monahan was the one that got unconditional love!  :wub:

The Flames' black jerseys are basically the same colour scheme as the 90s black skate Canucks jerseys. And the Vegas Knights have one that's nearly an exact copy.

We steal everything from the Canucks!  

Last game Sutter had to call a time out because Flames were being over run by the Kraken (unleash the...nevermind) and was described as having a face the colour of the red Flames jersey.  But they did win, so it kind of worked.

He also said the digital ads are working "extraordinarily well."

Since there are ads everywhere, I don't think it cut down on them.  My signal often has been pixellating, I had no time to look at the ads!  

As long as we're stuck with this team it's always going to be a middling roster whose  goal is to host  2 or 3 playoff games every year. Yay!

Flames have had a pretty mediocre start. And the Huberdeau contract kind of looks like it might be a problem.

Go team!  

Aw.  I have faith in Huberdeau.  He moved from cozy warm Florida to wind chill of -45 Celsius (before it finally warmed up), so I'm cutting him a break on this one.  He did score the winning goal last time.  And then Lucic hit him in the nose when they celebrated and made it bleed.  Sigh.

Flames have hit so many many posts.  It is getting ridiculous.  Markstrom was shaky but I think he's coming out of it.  All our best players stopped producing goals for ages, it's kind of weird.  

Merry Christmas!  And Happy New Year everyone!  :santahappy:  :party: