Official NHL Hockey Thread interim version

Mysteriosa

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, RWG said:

They're also a team that had McDavid and Draisaitl, 2 of the best players alive, playing historical point totals on the same team at the same time, and they still got swept. I know Oilers fans don't like hearing this but the rest of the roster is not great.

Bieksa "McDavid is the best player in the whole world."  Bleh!  CBC made more time to praise their favourite player.

Oh, they got swept.  What a pity... :canadianwave:

Props to Draisaitl somehow playing on a high ankle sprain like a crazy person though.  And one of the holding penalties called against the Oilers  in the last game was dubious at best.

17 hours ago, RWG said:

Interested to see the end of the Lightning/Rangers series. Every time the Lightning look like they're out of gas, they seem to claw their way back into the series.

Annoying but true.  Though after watching Colorado and the Oilers, it seems somehow really a lot slower!

17 hours ago, RWG said:

I love how for literally every goal Smith lets  in, he immediately raises his arms and looks around like it's not his fault or shouldn't count.

A person on the radio said "he saves the goals you don't expect him to, then lets in the ones you expect him to save, that's him in a nutshell."  Not a bad description.  I was surprised the Flames take advantage of the fact he can not resist playing the puck, even when he really should not.  If anyone knows that, it is his former team.  The goal from far away was classic, as well.  He often hints at some kind of technical foul, even if there isn't anything there.

I kind of believe Kadri has grown up a bit.  I think they said on tv that Kane is a new father.  I don't think he has reformed at all.

17 hours ago, RWG said:

I know every NHL city has biased people in the media but Edmonton's media are basically just glorified fans.

I was surprised when I listened to the Lightning crew and they were criticizing their own team for being loose defensively.  Whereas the Oilers can do no wrong.  Must have been awkward when they lost 4 in a row.  :canadianwave:  

17 hours ago, RWG said:

The Canada World Cup team was supposed to play two friendlies in Vancouver and they both got cancelled. The first they scheduled against our pals Iran without checking with the federal government (oops), so that one had to be cancelled, and then to make up for it they were selling $30 tickets to a replacement game against Panama and that got cancelled because of a labour dispute between the players and organization. Very stupid given that they didn't even cancel it until 90 minutes before it was supposed to start. I know people who took the ferry from Victoria and others who drove from the interior and had hotels.

That is the thing that makes me annoyed at the team, because they knew very well they didn't want to play it, and still let their fans spend money to travel to their game.  Take it out on the organization not the fans, darn it.  That was a terrible way to treat their supporters.

Edited by Mysteriosa

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm happy it's gonna be Lightning vs Avalanche. Those are just the best two teams imo.

Colorado is the deeper roster and the team that has looked stronger imo, but Tampa has a big edge in net and is emotionally/psychologically a very strong team. Hopefully it goes 6 or 7.

On 6/9/2022 at 4:55 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Bieksa "McDavid is the best player in the whole world."  Bleh!  CBC made more time to praise their favourite player.

Oh, they got swept.  What a pity... :canadianwave:

Props to Draisaitl somehow playing on a high ankle sprain like a crazy person though.  And one of the holding penalties called against the Oilers  in the last game was dubious at best.

Annoying but true.  Though after watching Colorado and the Oilers, it seems somehow really a lot slower!

A person on the radio said "he saves the goals you don't expect him to, then lets in the ones you expect him to save, that's him in a nutshell."  Not a bad description.  I was surprised the Flames take advantage of the fact he can not resist playing the puck, even when he really should not.  If anyone knows that, it is his former team.  The goal from far away was classic, as well.  He often hints at some kind of technical foul, even if there isn't anything there.

I kind of believe Kadri has grown up a bit.  I think they said on tv that Kane is a new father.  I don't think he has reformed at all.

I was surprised when I listened to the Lightning crew and they were criticizing their own team for being loose defensively.  Whereas the Oilers can do no wrong.  Must have been awkward when they lost 4 in a row.  :canadianwave:  

That is the thing that makes me annoyed at the team, because they knew very well they didn't want to play it, and still let their fans spend money to travel to their game.  Take it out on the organization not the fans, darn it.  That was a terrible way to treat their supporters.

I think it's sad how little the Oilers have done in all the years since McDavid fell into their lap. Little support outside of Draisaitl, mediocre defense, no goalie. The thing Ken Holland did to improve the team the most was Kane, a 40-goal scorer who just fell out of the sky that they didn't have to trade anything for or pay very much. He posted a message thanking Edmonton so I guess that means he's gone.

Mike Smith also gets credited as one of the great goalies at playing the puck but I don't know if that's accurate. He's maybe the most daring, but he makes a lot of mistakes.

Soccer fans in other parts of the country (Toronto) were making fun of the crowd iof 17,000 in Vancouver for the match against Curacao. Although it looked like less than that. They do know soccer fans in Vancouver got screwed over twice by cancelled games in the last week, and that Curacao probably isn't the biggest draw? Imo, that's probably more than they deserve after kaiboshing the game 90 minutes before kickoff. The issue is all this money Soccer Canada gets from FIFA for qualifying for the world cup. The president says they wouldn't be able to fund the rest of the programs if they were to give the players so much, but it's like how had you been funding them previously without the world cup money.

The coaching carousel is crazy right now. There are so many jobs and so many big names out there. Trotz is going to pick a team soon. I bet it'll be Vegas. Tortorella could be going to Philadelphia. Dallas, Winnipeg, Detroit, and Boston have openings too.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2022 at 12:03 AM, RWG said:

Colorado is the deeper roster and the team that has looked stronger imo, but Tampa has a big edge in net and is emotionally/psychologically a very strong team.

:w00twave:  I watched most of the final and for a while I thought they were going to throw it away but Colorado eked out a win.  And then it turned out Bettman couldn't attend, so double win.

I think it's sad how little the Oilers have done in all the years since McDavid fell into their lap.

Once they got him, they gave up on improving and just sat gloating instead.  #stillbitteraboutthelotterything

Mike Smith also gets credited as one of the great goalies at playing the puck but I don't know if that's accurate. He's maybe the most daring, but he makes a lot of mistakes.

I'd buy most daring.  He's a risk taker.  Half the time you're like, that was brilliant!  And the other half "No, God, why?"

Tortorella could be going to Philadelphia.

And he did.  

OH NOES.  Gaudreau isn't signed yet.  I'd think if he were keen, he'd have done it already.  Maybe he wants to play closer to home. (Eastern USA)  It would free up a lot of cash if he didn't though...  🦡  Also unsigned, Tkachuk.  Mangiapane.  Kylington.  Lots of people as seen here in a ctv article. 

Draft was boring as Flames had hardly any picks left worth mentioning.

In other news, Sean Monahan got a park named after him in Brampton. 

Edited by Mysteriosa

Last night it became official, that Johnny Gaudreau was not going to sign with the Flames.  I can't help thinking that the Flames should have been informed sooner, and now he just leaves when the team could have got something for him.  I am tired of how we trade away draft picks.  On the other hand, they threw bushels of money at him, and if we signed him it would be difficult to sign anyone else.

Supposedly the Islanders and Devils are fighting for him.

It does make me wonder about how he kept saying how much he liked living in Calgary, and now I suspect it was just PR.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:49 AM, Mysteriosa said:

Last night it became official, that Johnny Gaudreau was not going to sign with the Flames.  I can't help thinking that the Flames should have been informed sooner, and now he just leaves when the team could have got something for him.  I am tired of how we trade away draft picks.  On the other hand, they threw bushels of money at him, and if we signed him it would be difficult to sign anyone else.

Supposedly the Islanders and Devils are fighting for him.

It does make me wonder about how he kept saying how much he liked living in Calgary, and now I suspect it was just PR.

On 7/13/2022 at 5:09 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Gaudreau signed with Columbus?  Columbus?  Columbus.  What?

That's tough for Calgary. He took less money to go to a team that's worse than the Flames, not close to his home, and not really a city that's considered desirable. Supposedly Gaudreau likes quiet and is a "homebody" but that kind of flies contrary to some of the things you hear about him.

From the outside, it always seemed like he was going to leave. There were rumors about it over a year ago. I guess he strung the Flames along and convinced Treliving he'd consider it. The Flames probably thought this year would be their best shot at a cup. People say he doesn't owe anyone any explanation, but I also think Flames fans have a right to be mad about the position he left them in. I heard Eric Francis on the Vancouver radio station and he was very upset.

When the new Canucks mgmt came in they said they were going to make big changes and to expect fireworks, but so far they are just re-signing everyone and not making many trades. They signed Mikheyev and Lazar and some other people I don't know. It's been leaked all over that JT MIller would be traded by now, but he hasn't been. I think the Canucks are feeling pressure about his value declining, and may end up keeping him now. Jim Rutherford got pressed about it in an interview today and snapped at the host.

Bruce Boudreau got to meet one of his favourite wrestlers on live TV in the latest issue of wholesome Bruce Boudreau content. 🙂

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/canucks-boudreau-gets-surprise-wrestler-kevin-owens/?show_id=15237

That's cool about Monahan's park. I always forget about Monahan... he's completely faded from prominence from when it was the "Gaudreau and Monahan" Flames many years ago.

4 hours ago, RWG said:

That's tough for Calgary. He took less money to go to a team that's worse than the Flames, not close to his home, and not really a city that's considered desirable. Supposedly Gaudreau likes quiet and is a "homebody" but that kind of flies contrary to some of the things you hear about him.

The press conference in Columbus was bizarre.  It was described as not very well prepared.  Gaudreau said he'd always dreamt of playing somewhere like Columbus?

On the radio they talked to Francis, and laughed about the look of dismay when Calgary reporters showed up to ask Gaudreau about Calgary!  Particularly Francis, who he doesn't get along with.

Gaudreau was looking thrilled to be in Columbus, almost giddy.  Oddly he praised Columbus for having a great crowd at games (was the C of Red not enough?), and for having a positive locker room environment. (I don't know what this means in comparison to Calgary.  Was he tired of Sutter?)  He never thanked the Flames organization, which makes me think he fell out with them.  There are lots of rumours including that the ownership interfered.  And he knows next to nothing about his new team.  

Supposedly he was very close to signing with Calgary, and then suddenly over the course of like, ten minutes, changed his mind.   I can't imagine turning down 84 million.  In an interview Friday he said he wanted to be closer to home, like near but not too close?  It almost sounded like he's convincing himself.  I actually felt more annoyed with him the more he tries to clarify it.  He promised to do something for the fans, but I really think it's too late to make them feel better, especially when he acted so happy to be anywhere else.

I wouldn't mind him signing for more money, or actually saying in advance, hey I want to play closer to home so I don't think I am re-signing, but he kept saying he wanted to stay in Calgary, he loves it here,  he would love to win a cup here (after they were eliminated) and then turns out to have this long term plan for not doing that.  He strings along the management and the fans.  He can't leave town fast enough, for less money, in a place that is not home.  How can someone make a split second decision about the next 7 years of his life?  He kind of turned down the Flames and then ran out of options.  He wanted the Flyers, but they didn't have cap space, and no one else offered him as much as he expected.  It was in fact, idiotic.

Nikita Zadorov re-signed, and in an interview said he liked the way Calgarians are interested in hockey, his neighbours wish him luck on game days,  that it is like a religion and then he said, "I like being in the spotlight" which sounded like some kind of comment on someone else who doesn't.  I like Zadorov.  He is 6 ft 6.

Meanwhile hilarity: 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/calgary-news-anchor-takes-parting-shot-at-johnny-gaudreau-columbus-blue-jackets-during-broadcast-190638983.html

While Gaudreau had informed the Calgary Flames he would test free agency, his choice to join the Blue Jackets has angered many fans in Alberta and prompted CBC Calgary news anchor Andrew Brown to send a message to Gaudreau on live television when closing the broadcast on Thursday night.

“And that’s the news for now, I’ll be back here at 11, unless a news station in Columbus offers me way less money… and I’ll probably go do that.”

4 hours ago, RWG said:

When the new Canucks mgmt came in they said they were going to make big changes and to expect fireworks, but so far they are just re-signing everyone and not making many trades.

I guess they are thinking things over.  Slowly.

4 hours ago, RWG said:

That's cool about Monahan's park. I always forget about Monahan... he's completely faded from prominence from when it was the "Gaudreau and Monahan" Flames many years ago.

They are very good friends.  Monahan is always needing surgery for something, which is a pity, because I think they made a good pair back then.  Gaudreau has never been one of my favourite players, and now I guess that was just as well?  

Posted (edited)

It's like watching my team implode in the off season.  Explosion Reaction GIF

Now Calgary asked for arbitration with Tkachuk, and word is that Tkachuk wants to leave, so he'll probably get traded.  

Meanwhile Johnny Gaudreau wrote fans a letter saying he was torn right until the (literal) last minute.  He certainly gave the impression he couldn't get out of here fast enough.  He couldn't have handled it much worse.

Update:  rumours are that someone made personal attacks on Gaudreau, possibly the Flames owner Edwards, when the Flames gave G.  the offer he demanded and went silent and still didn't sign.  Might explain the frosty departure.

Sigh.

Other news:  

AHL mascot Scorch is coming back, "in some capacity".  If you missed it, he was introduced as the mascot of the Airondack Flames in Glen Falls 8 years ago.  He lasted only 5 days, because of his introduction video.  Immediately he was both public enemy number one and a fan favourite for being inept beyond all imagination.

Short version:  Glen Falls burnt down in 1864, so they thought it would be good to have Scorch be the last ember from that fire (because that will please the locals?), and that he fight a firefighter.  And win! 

Um...that was not a good idea.

Here is the latest article in all its splendour, and  the original disastrous video.

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/flames-mascot-scorch-returning

The AHL team moved from Glen Falls to Stockton, and now is coming back to Calgary.  And apparently Scorch comes too.

Then there's Edmonton.  Their owner Darryl Katz has been named in a court filing as paying an underage girl for sex.

Now having your star player run to Columbus looks like a nice day in comparison.  🦡  Next to that, Columbus is nothing.

Edited by Mysteriosa

On 7/21/2022 at 1:32 AM, Mysteriosa said:

It's like watching my team implode in the off season.  Explosion Reaction GIF

Now Calgary asked for arbitration with Tkachuk, and word is that Tkachuk wants to leave, so he'll probably get traded.  

Meanwhile Johnny Gaudreau wrote fans a letter saying he was torn right until the (literal) last minute.  He certainly gave the impression he couldn't get out of here fast enough.  He couldn't have handled it much worse.

Update:  rumours are that someone made personal attacks on Gaudreau, possibly the Flames owner Edwards, when the Flames gave G.  the offer he demanded and went silent and still didn't sign.  Might explain the frosty departure.

Sigh.

Other news:  

AHL mascot Scorch is coming back, "in some capacity".  If you missed it, he was introduced as the mascot of the Airondack Flames in Glen Falls 8 years ago.  He lasted only 5 days, because of his introduction video.  Immediately he was both public enemy number one and a fan favourite for being inept beyond all imagination.

Short version:  Glen Falls burnt down in 1864, so they thought it would be good to have Scorch be the last ember from that fire (because that will please the locals?), and that he fight a firefighter.  And win! 

Um...that was not a good idea.

Here is the latest article in all its splendour, and  the original disastrous video.

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/flames-mascot-scorch-returning

The AHL team moved from Glen Falls to Stockton, and now is coming back to Calgary.  And apparently Scorch comes too.

Then there's Edmonton.  Their owner Darryl Katz has been named in a court filing as paying an underage girl for sex.

Now having your star player run to Columbus looks like a nice day in comparison.  🦡  Next to that, Columbus is nothing.

Well, it looks like Treliving managed to flip the script on Calgary's offseason a fair bit with the Tkachuk trade. That is a really big return for him. I guess they don't know if Huberdeau will re-sign (and he is 30), but they still got a lot from Florida considering they didn't have much leverage.

I have to say the Glen Falls controversy over the ember seems like a bit much. It's not like anyone there now or their ancestors were around for that. Lots of teams are named after disasters (fires, hurricanes, earthquakes). 

The story about Katz and the underage ballerina is icky. There is also Hockey Canada currently very embattled over two separate abuse scandals involving the 2003 and 2018 World Juniors teams. Jake Virtanen is on trial in a BC court this week. And there are people who think hockey doesn't have serious culture issues.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a miracle!  New Year Smiling GIF

First we trade Tkachuk for forward Jonathan Huberdeau, defenceman MacKenzie Weegar, forward Cole Schwindt and a conditional 1st round pick in 2025.  I expected them to trade him for something not impressive (like a terrible player, a 3rd pick and a bag of pretzels with a beer coupon) and I was pleasantly surprised/shocked/amazed.

Weird press conference where Tkachuk is ecstatic to be in Florida (where apparently his dad is building a house).  No one misses us.  Though certainly it will be a warmer lifestyle.

Treliving this week met Huberdeau in Montreal for dinner. 

Must have gone well because Huberdeau just SIGNED for 8 years!  84 million, the biggest contract in franchise history. :omg:

Just how good was that dinner?!

Sportsnet:  did Flames overpay?

Me:  I can't live with the uncertainty that our nice shiny new players will disappear next year in free agency, again.  (since both H. and Weegar would have been UFA next year).  Somewhere in the US, a new Columbus player is a teeny bit sad.

Before that we managed to re-sign Mangiapane and Kylington.  Heck.

I did read that Huberdeau expected the Florida Panthers to re-sign him, and after some informal talks nothing happened, so he was shocked to be traded.  He was tied with Gaudreau at 115 points, and Flames haven't played yet, but we had a huge hole to fill, and this makes me want to watch hockey again.

It's like being dumped, and then finding a winning lottery ticket under the sofa.

On 7/23/2022 at 11:41 PM, RWG said:

I have to say the Glen Falls controversy over the ember seems like a bit much. It's not like anyone there now or their ancestors were around for that. Lots of teams are named after disasters (fires, hurricanes, earthquakes).

Oh, you never watched the video did you?  Or you forgot.  The controversy was Scorch facing off against a firefighter, who appears to fall down dead...

Um...what amazing PR!   (everyone was like, the firefighter isn't moving.  Is he dead?)  Followed by Scorch's untimely retirement.    The ember thing was just a bit tacky.  The Flames are named after the Atlanta fire after all.

Also new, our AHL team will be called the Calgary Wranglers now they are back in Calgary.

On 7/23/2022 at 11:41 PM, RWG said:

There is also Hockey Canada currently very embattled over two separate abuse scandals involving the 2003 and 2018 World Juniors teams. Jake Virtanen is on trial in a BC court this week.

I was sad about Virtanen, because I remember him as a promising WHL player, and then he got known for partying and stuff, and not playing to his potential, and now he's been on trial for sexual assault, though he was found not guilty.  

Hockey Canada deserves whatever it gets, because it just acted like this is normal behaviour that you can buy your way out of, and it makes me wonder if some of these people are now in the NHL.  

On the subject of behaviour, Edmonton stuck with Kane, so I'm interested to know if he can keep scandal free.