Jump to content

Official NHL Hockey Thread interim version


Mysteriosa
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 5/4/2022 at 10:35 PM, Mysteriosa said:

It will take some focus to fix, but at one point the Flames had a gazillion no trade clauses.  At least Benning is gone.  I wonder if they'll give Boudreau more money?

 

 

I'm not even sure Boudreau will be back. Jim Rutherford said they will have Boudreau back on the option year of his contract, but he also criticized the way the team plays and said they rely too much on goaltending and would need to work with Bruce on some things if he comes back. Tough crowd. I think the crux of it is that Boudreau is a laissez-faire coach and they want someone more detail-oriented and analytical. Rutherford is quite the presence, I'll give him that.

 

He also talked about how the scouting department now has to have reports filed on time and such. And today they fired four scouts, including Benning's son.

 

On 5/4/2022 at 10:35 PM, Mysteriosa said:

 

Thanks!  The luck must have worked as Flames won vs Stars 1-0.  I'm not super thrilled about a tiny score, but we did win.  Took way too many penalties, I think, including a game misconduct.  Players way too excited!

 

Edmonton lost their first game and won the second (come on Battle of Alberta) (or lose horribly, it's a win-win :stealth:).  Avalanche beat Nashville 7-2.  Leafs and Lightning have a game each.   I can't believe Penguins vs Rangers went to triple overtime.  Save some for later!  

 

 

 

The Dallas/Calgary series is a great melatonin trigger. It goes great with my peppermint tea before bed. Just 3 goals in the 2 games? Even with 10 minutes left when Dallas was up 1-0 you could tell Calgary wasn't going to tie it. LA looks to have come undone so I think Edmonton will advance.

 

The playoffs have been weird so far in most of the games have not been that close or exciting, but the series are kind of close. Only Colorado/Nashville seems decided right now.

 

Gary Bettman went to Edmonton and Calgary and said Edmonton's Ice District and new arena area awesome but that Calgary's facilities suck and they're not hosting all-star games or drafts until they build a new one. If that won't motivate the mayor I don't know what will.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, RWG said:

I'm not even sure Boudreau will be back. Jim Rutherford said they will have Boudreau back on the option year of his contract, but he also criticized the way the team plays and said they rely too much on goaltending and would need to work with Bruce on some things if he comes back. Tough crowd. I think the crux of it is that Boudreau is a laissez-faire coach and they want someone more detail-oriented and analytical. Rutherford is quite the presence, I'll give him that.

 

He also talked about how the scouting department now has to have reports filed on time and such. And today they fired four scouts, including Benning's son

I thought Boudreau was doing well with them.  Now they are getting picky.  I can't imagine who will satisfy them.

Blame the scouting department, LOL.  Be interesting to see if the scouts get better or worse, with all this new oversight.

 

18 hours ago, RWG said:

The Dallas/Calgary series is a great melatonin trigger. It goes great with my peppermint tea before bed. Just 3 goals in the 2 games? Even with 10 minutes left when Dallas was up 1-0 you could tell Calgary wasn't going to tie it. LA looks to have come undone so I think Edmonton will advance.

:yawnwave:  

Sutter did say he wasn't surprised by the low scores, but frankly it is beginning to feel a little too familiar.  Like, we score, then we just sit on that and wait to see how it goes.  I agree that low scoring is not amazingly entertaining.  Nor is the missing the net!

 

Looks like Nashville is about to fold.  

18 hours ago, RWG said:

Gary Bettman went to Edmonton and Calgary and said Edmonton's Ice District and new arena area awesome but that Calgary's facilities suck and they're not hosting all-star games or drafts until they build a new one. If that won't motivate the mayor I don't know what will.

There is a committee looking at the arena situation.  But really Bettman has a nerve, since it was the Flames organization that pulled the plug on the whole thing.  The proposed arena was super ugly and all the community stuff got cut, so I wasn't sorry at all that it fell through.  Maybe we should build an events centre and skip the whole hockey part. :shock:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2022 at 5:17 PM, Mysteriosa said:

I thought Boudreau was doing well with them.  Now they are getting picky.  I can't imagine who will satisfy them.

Blame the scouting department, LOL.  Be interesting to see if the scouts get better or worse, with all this new oversight.

 

:yawnwave:  

Sutter did say he wasn't surprised by the low scores, but frankly it is beginning to feel a little too familiar.  Like, we score, then we just sit on that and wait to see how it goes.  I agree that low scoring is not amazingly entertaining.  Nor is the missing the net!

 

Looks like Nashville is about to fold.  

There is a committee looking at the arena situation.  But really Bettman has a nerve, since it was the Flames organization that pulled the plug on the whole thing.  The proposed arena was super ugly and all the community stuff got cut, so I wasn't sorry at all that it fell through.  Maybe we should build an events centre and skip the whole hockey part. :shock:

 

Game 3 was pretty good. Calgary finally looked closer to what they were in the regular season in Game 4. The series sort of reminds me of the 2007 Dallas-Vancouver series. Very low scoring, had a 4OT game and went to 7 games.

 

What happened to Nashville is a good retort to "anything can happen if we just get in!" Edmonton is on the ropes suddenly now. They came back to tie the Game 5 4-4 to OT and the building looked electric. Then LA scored early in OT and deflated it. The Leafs also won their Game 5. I am praying Tampa comes back in that series because I won't be able to handle a second round of Sportsnet acting like the Leafs are our national team.

 

The other weird thing about the Sportsnet broadcasts is the constant barrage of sports betting ads. Not just commercials, but spots worked into the game and broadcasts. I don't care if people bet but it feels completely over the top for family programming.

 

Yeah, I don't know what Bettman is crowing about. I think people are getting tired of this racket of the richest people in society intimdating underfunded cities into building stadiums for them. Calgary feels like the first city to sort  of put its foot down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, RWG said:

Game 3 was pretty good. Calgary finally looked closer to what they were in the regular season in Game 4. The series sort of reminds me of the 2007 Dallas-Vancouver series. Very low scoring, had a 4OT game and went to 7 games.

 

After they lost game 3 I was beginning to feel like it was the Avalanche series all over again.  Flames fans were losing hope, especially towards the end of that game when it looked like a fire drill and two Flames collided.  But game 4 was much better.  Gaudreau even scored on a penalty shot.  No one really thought it should have been called as a penalty, but it makes up for all the ones not called.  

 

17 hours ago, RWG said:

What happened to Nashville is a good retort to "anything can happen if we just get in!" Edmonton is on the ropes suddenly now. They came back to tie the Game 5 4-4 to OT and the building looked electric. Then LA scored early in OT and deflated it. The Leafs also won their Game 5. I am praying Tampa comes back in that series because I won't be able to handle a second round of Sportsnet acting like the Leafs are our national team.

Poor Nashville.  Flames were swept by Avs once in 5 games, and that was pretty bad.   It is interesting how the Kings and St. Louis are bouncing back.  Carolina may knock out Boston.  The other day Boston's fans pushed out a piece of glass and almost squished the penalty box guy. 

 

Penguins are a beast.  You mean the Leafs are not our national team? :shock:  :canadianwave:

 

The best is when CBC shows your non Leaf team playing some other non Leaf team and they spend the entire intermission talking about the Leaf situation instead.  

 

Dallas's goalie Oettinger has been playing really well and he's only 23?  I figured out that his nickname is Otter.   I had spent some time wondering if his goalie mask featured a weasel.  :lmao:  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveartmaskgallery/51674856841/in/photostream/

 

17 hours ago, RWG said:

The other weird thing about the Sportsnet broadcasts is the constant barrage of sports betting ads. Not just commercials, but spots worked into the game and broadcasts. I don't care if people bet but it feels completely over the top for family programming.

 

I saw some people online complaining about that, because addicts can't escape the temptation and some people give up watching the games.  People should tell Sportsnet.  I think it is wrong to push it that hard, especially as some people could care less about it, and I actually think making it bigger is a bad idea.  We already have players betting on games.

 

Flames are playing Dallas today.  B)  But I'm not betting on anything!  Bad luck.

 

Hey Vancouver.  If you don't like Boudreau, I hear Tortorella is available!  :stealth:

 

 

Edited by Mysteriosa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2022 at 4:09 PM, Mysteriosa said:

After they lost game 3 I was beginning to feel like it was the Avalanche series all over again.  Flames fans were losing hope, especially towards the end of that game when it looked like a fire drill and two Flames collided.  But game 4 was much better.  Gaudreau even scored on a penalty shot.  No one really thought it should have been called as a penalty, but it makes up for all the ones not called.  

 

Penguins are a beast.  You mean the Leafs are not our national team? :shock:  :canadianwave:

 

The best is when CBC shows your non Leaf team playing some other non Leaf team and they spend the entire intermission talking about the Leaf situation instead.  

 

I was surprised how many people the Flames had watching their game outside the arena in Game 5. Probably wouldn't be my ideal way to watch a game, but that's a huge crowd for the first round.

 

The Canucks games on Sportsnet used to have a post-game show. Now the horn sounds and within 10 seconds, the announcer says goodnight from Vancouver and they throw back to the Death Star in Toronto and go straight into the Leafs highlights.

 

Leafs have to play Game 7 against Tampa. This shot from after Tampa scored in OT. :haha:

 

6125459936602361695.jpg

 

On 5/11/2022 at 4:09 PM, Mysteriosa said:

I saw some people online complaining about that, because addicts can't escape the temptation and some people give up watching the games.  People should tell Sportsnet.  I think it is wrong to push it that hard, especially as some people could care less about it, and I actually think making it bigger is a bad idea.  We already have players betting on games.

 

Flames are playing Dallas today.  B)  But I'm not betting on anything!  Bad luck.

 

Hey Vancouver.  If you don't like Boudreau, I hear Tortorella is available!  :stealth:

 

Gary has talked about betting as an important revenue stream for the league, so I don't think the ads are going anywhere until the regulations catch up. They have the one Bet365 ad between whistles where the guy says he doesn't have a job and just bets  on sports for a living. They are going to hook a lot of kids watching. There's also the Wayne Gretzky hologram where he is holding a phone with the Bet MGM app. I don't know if Wayne is a great spokesperson for this given that his assistant coaches and wife were subjects of a federal investigation into an illegal gambling ring.

 

I like the otter a lot better than Markstrom's ears. Both those goalies have been very good in the series.

 

I think the Flames are probably going to wrap up Dallas tomorrow, and Edmonton has forced a Game 7 for which they will be favored. A Battle of Alberta seems more likely now. I wonder who Sportsnet would have call it. Rick Ball has been doing the Calgary and Harnarayan Singh has been doing the Edmonton series and both have been massive homers for their respective teams.

 

Bruce now says he wants to come back and thinks it should be "settled" soon once they talk about a couple more things. I don't know. It's an odd situation. Usually they just say the coach is back and that's it. Rutherford's made the point that he and Boudreau have been friends for 40 years, but you could fool me. I don't think I have to worry about Torts coming back. The names we've heard as hypothetical replacements for Boudreau are Rikard Grönborg, Mike Vellucci, and Paul Maurice. But now Barry Trotz is available too.

 

Edit: Canucks announced Bruce is coming back. But they also fired more people from the training/athletic/medical staff.  Some who had been there a really long time.

Edited by RWG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Flames had a great comeback effort in the 3rd period of game 5 to win 3-1.  No scoring in the 1st, zzzz.   1 goal against us in the 2nd (oh no! everyone thought that was it) and then suddenly a flurry of activity in the 3rd that pulled off a win.  Mangiapane and Backlund score, then an empty net goal by Lewis because Gaudreau missed.

 

15 hours ago, RWG said:

I was surprised how many people the Flames had watching their game outside the arena in Game 5. Probably wouldn't be my ideal way to watch a game, but that's a huge crowd for the first round.

A sudden surge of optimism!  It's because we don't get to do that a lot. 

 

16 hours ago, RWG said:

Leafs have to play Game 7 against Tampa. This shot from after Tampa scored in OT. :haha:

 

6125459936602361695.jpg

Wow.  That's a lot of unhappy people!  

And yet I feel no sympathy.  Weird.  :stud:

 

Hmm.  Minnesota is out.  I didn't even realize that.

16 hours ago, RWG said:

There's also the Wayne Gretzky hologram where he is holding a phone with the Bet MGM app. I don't know if Wayne is a great spokesperson for this given that his assistant coaches and wife were subjects of a federal investigation into an illegal gambling ring.

Oh I totally forgot about that!  Awkward!

 

16 hours ago, RWG said:

I like the otter a lot better than Markstrom's ears. Both those goalies have been very good in the series.

Markstrom's masks are not very interesting.  I miss the screaming skulls Kipper had.  People on sports radio are always comparing the two goalies.  Everyone always sounds like Kipper wasn't as good, but he had to work really hard because the team wasn't as skilled as the one today.  It was a completely different style of hockey as well.

 

16 hours ago, RWG said:

I think the Flames are probably going to wrap up Dallas tomorrow, and Edmonton has forced a Game 7 for which they will be favored. A Battle of Alberta seems more likely now. I wonder who Sportsnet would have call it.

Ooo, I hope they wrap them.  Battle of Alberta would be kind of awesome.  Knowing my luck, it will be an Oilers fan commentating.  

 

16 hours ago, RWG said:

Canucks announced Bruce is coming back. But they also fired more people from the training/athletic/medical staff.  Some who had been there a really long time.

It does make you wonder what is going on behind the scenes.

 

Random:  Mark Giordano is selling his house now he plays for the Kraken.  Includes a wine cellar with room for 700 bottles?  

 

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/1948-49-avenue-sw-home-for-sale-mark-giordano-calgary-flames

 

On 5/11/2022 at 6:22 PM, ShortstopVM said:

Wooooooowwww... I can't believe that we're getting washed by the Penguins... 🙄 Whatever happened to #NoQuitInNY? 🤔

:w00twave:  I can't believe the Penguins can still play that well.  They have lost Crosby though.  If Rangers can even it up, then anything might happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

We have five Game 7s this weekend! I feel like most years we're lucky to have 2 or 3 in the first. Given that we've had crappy weather all May, I guess it's just as well I stay in and watch hockey all weekend.

 

7 hours ago, Mysteriosa said:

Flames had a great comeback effort in the 3rd period of game 5 to win 3-1.  No scoring in the 1st, zzzz.   1 goal against us in the 2nd (oh no! everyone thought that was it) and then suddenly a flurry of activity in the 3rd that pulled off a win.  Mangiapane and Backlund score, then an empty net goal by Lewis because Gaudreau missed.

 

A sudden surge of optimism!  It's because we don't get to do that a lot. 

 

Wow.  That's a lot of unhappy people!  

And yet I feel no sympathy.  Weird.  :stud:

 

Hmm.  Minnesota is out.  I didn't even realize that.

Oh I totally forgot about that!  Awkward!

 

Markstrom's masks are not very interesting.  I miss the screaming skulls Kipper had.  People on sports radio are always comparing the two goalies.  Everyone always sounds like Kipper wasn't as good, but he had to work really hard because the team wasn't as skilled as the one today.  It was a completely different style of hockey as well.

 

Well, not too much optimism, since there will be a Game 7. I only caught the 2nd half of Game 6, but it was Dallas's best game of the series, so maybe that's a bit concerning for the Flames. I did not think the Stars would be able to last this long with Calgary. Stars fans really love to stand up during play.

 

I think Markstrom and Kiprusoff are pretty equal. Markstrom may be on a better Flames team now, but his stats from Vancouver all from playing behind teams that were never sound defensively. The main difference is I always find Kiprusoff seemed pretty cool whereas Markstrom can get emotional.

 

7 hours ago, Mysteriosa said:

 

 

Ooo, I hope they wrap them.  Battle of Alberta would be kind of awesome.  Knowing my luck, it will be an Oilers fan commentating.  

 

It does make you wonder what is going on behind the scenes.

 

Random:  Mark Giordano is selling his house now he plays for the Kraken.  Includes a wine cellar with room for 700 bottles?  

 

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/1948-49-avenue-sw-home-for-sale-mark-giordano-calgary-flames

 

:w00twave:  I can't believe the Penguins can still play that well.  They have lost Crosby though.  If Rangers can even it up, then anything might happen.

 

The Canucks are usually one of the most injured teams in the league. People usually chalk it up to the fact they have to fly more miles than most of the other teams, but maybe the new management thinks it's something to do with trainers. Look at how often Tanev was injured over a decade in Vancouver, and then he goes to Calgary and suddenly never gets hurt. He oddly got injured in Game 6 today though.

 

Giordano's house is actually pretty modest for an NHL player. Street parking, no driveway or garage, and just about a meter in the alley separating his house and his neighbour's. Is Gio down with new urbanism? Someone noticed Jim Benning had listed his condo in Olympic Village in Vancouver a few years ago, and noted it was the only time one of his acquisitions had appreciated in value from when he bought it.

 

Louis Domingue is a fun story but truthfully I think it's going to be hard for Pittsburgh to win another game with him in net. Some of those goals he's letting in are bad. Crosby having a concussion doesn't help either.  I wonder if we should be worried about how many concussions he's had now.

 

 

Edited by RWG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2022 at 12:01 AM, RWG said:

Well, not too much optimism, since there will be a Game 7. I only caught the 2nd half of Game 6, but it was Dallas's best game of the series, so maybe that's a bit concerning for the Flames. I did not think the Stars would be able to last this long with Calgary. Stars fans really love to stand up during play.

Oh Calgary, what are you doing?  They kind of throw away the first period, it feels like they don't really get into their stride until much later. They hardly ever win a face off.  They're not looking after the details either.  Some of the passing is brutal.  Gaudreau lost his temper on the bench, and then the big players started fighting people.  Dallas has been getting stellar goal tending too.  That Stars crowd was singing and having a great time.  Calgary is unpredictable, so it depends which version of them is going to be playing.  They drive me crazy!

On 5/14/2022 at 12:01 AM, RWG said:

I think Markstrom and Kiprusoff are pretty equal. Markstrom may be on a better Flames team now, but his stats from Vancouver all from playing behind teams that were never sound defensively. The main difference is I always find Kiprusoff seemed pretty cool whereas Markstrom can get emotional.

I loved the way Kipper in the playoffs would take a drink of water and look like he just wandered in and wanted to know what the fuss was about.  

 

On 5/14/2022 at 12:01 AM, RWG said:

The Canucks are usually one of the most injured teams in the league. People usually chalk it up to the fact they have to fly more miles than most of the other teams, but maybe the new management thinks it's something to do with trainers. Look at how often Tanev was injured over a decade in Vancouver, and then he goes to Calgary and suddenly never gets hurt. He oddly got injured in Game 6 today though.

Possible.  They obviously think there's something there they do not like?  Or someone has been complaining.

 

On 5/14/2022 at 12:01 AM, RWG said:

Giordano's house is actually pretty modest for an NHL player. Street parking, no driveway or garage, and just about a meter in the alley separating his house and his neighbour's. Is Gio down with new urbanism? Someone noticed Jim Benning had listed his condo in Olympic Village in Vancouver a few years ago, and noted it was the only time one of his acquisitions had appreciated in value from when he bought it.

 

It is surprisingly low key.  Apparently it's close to a dog park and a sports facility.  I was kind of surprised it's just right there on the street.  But then, he has a really down to earth kind of personality.  LOL at Benning.  Unlucky in hockey, lucky in real estate.

 

On 5/14/2022 at 12:01 AM, RWG said:

Louis Domingue is a fun story but truthfully I think it's going to be hard for Pittsburgh to win another game with him in net. Some of those goals he's letting in are bad. Crosby having a concussion doesn't help either.  I wonder if we should be worried about how many concussions he's had now.

I remember that outdoor game where Crosby just got mowed down.  I think the answer is probably yes.  

 

Ooooo.  Toronto lost!  What?  I thought they might be able to win that one.  I saw the last few minutes and they looked really casual.   Meanwhile Edmonton is in.  Boo!

Edited by Mysteriosa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2022 at 6:32 PM, Mysteriosa said:

:w00twave:  I can't believe the Penguins can still play that well.  They have lost Crosby though.  If Rangers can even it up, then anything might happen.

 

Well, my post aged well lol... :ph34rwave: The Rangers REALLY woke up in Games 5 and 6... :omg: Let's see what Game 7 brings in front of a rockin' Garden crowd... 😏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ShortstopVM said:

BREADMAN!!!!! :ohyeah: I can't believe that happened! :omg: Down 2-0 in TWO elimination games, and the Rangers rallied to win this series. :shock: 

 

I guess #NoQuitInNY is alive and well ^_^

Woo!  My post looks psychic now!

 

Meanwhile...

 

running-around-smiley-emoticon.gifrunning-around-smiley-emoticon.gif   running-around-smiley-emoticon.gif  running-around-smiley-emoticon.gif

 

 

 

OMG.  FLAMES WON IN OT!

 

Hellooooo Battle of Alberta. :stud:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2022 at 12:38 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Ooooo.  Toronto lost!  What?  I thought they might be able to win that one.  I saw the last few minutes and they looked really casual.   Meanwhile Edmonton is in.  Boo!

 

It's kind of funny how every year, they say "nothing the Leafs do in the regular season matters -- they will be  judged only on whether  they can get out of the 1st round." And then they lose in the 1st round and say no changes because the regular season was so good. Their fans and media make it sound like there was nothing they could have done -- the Lightning are just too good and it was an unlucky draw. The Lightning were very beatable -- they spotted the Leafs the first game, Vasilevsky was human for  much of the series, and the effort in Game 4 from the Leafs was a joke.

 

Excited for the Battle of Alberta. My only prediction is that it will  go 6 or 7 games. Calgary has the deeper roster, but McDavid is McDavid, and he looked absolutely possessed in the last two games of the LA series. Most people are giving the Flames a major edge in net, but if you by most models, Smith was actually better than Markstrom in round 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2022 at 12:13 PM, RWG said:

the effort in Game 4 from the Leafs was a joke.

I saw the last few minutes of their last game and they weren't trying very hard to get shots in.  They'd given up.

 

On 5/18/2022 at 12:13 PM, RWG said:

Excited for the Battle of Alberta. My only prediction is that it will  go 6 or 7 games. Calgary has the deeper roster, but McDavid is McDavid, and he looked absolutely possessed in the last two games of the LA series. Most people are giving the Flames a major edge in net, but if you by most models, Smith was actually better than Markstrom in round 1.

First game:  crazy nuts!  Flames win 9-6.  Tkachuk chirping Kane in the penalty box.  Supposedly he said "do you need some money?" and Kane offered to fight him after the box, but T. said "I don't fight poor people".  :lmao:  Then T. went and scored on them.  That whole game was a lot of fun to watch.

 

Second game:  Flames lost 5-3.  Too many penalties taken.  The officiating sucked.  Edmonton had a goal waved off because the ref was going to blow the whistle, then the exact same thing happened to the Flames later. (not reviewed, unlike the first one)  Maybe he should move CLOSER so he can see the puck?   We did win a goalie interference challenge.  Somehow icing was not icing.  Lots of iffy calls.  Call on Lindholm but not the guy who cross checked him.

 

Favourite comment seen on a different board: "We need to slow down McDavid with some honest checks, he is a hockey player not a Mona Lisa. Hit him."  That's what I was thinking.  (Lucic gave him a shock in game 1)   Flames mostly gave up on hitting.  Or effective checking.   And blew a two goal lead.  Ew.  Instead of anticipating McDavid and co, they just react in a panic too late to stop them as they rush by.  Backlund was good though.

 

Meanwhile, why did we have to play that game at home at 8:30 pm?  Too late for pretty much everyone.  Supposedly a combo of the other game not starting till 6 and the PGA being on? 

 

CBC in love with McDavid.  The wedding will be Tuesday. 

 

Heck of a lot of ads for betting.  Someone on the other site "is NHL a casino now?"   I'm counting the minutes until we find a referee out there with a secret gambling problem.

 

Now I realize how great Otter was in net for Dallas.  It was spooky.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Mysteriosa said:

I saw the last few minutes of their last game and they weren't trying very hard to get shots in.  They'd given up.

 

First game:  crazy nuts!  Flames win 9-6.  Tkachuk chirping Kane in the penalty box.  Supposedly he said "do you need some money?" and Kane offered to fight him after the box, but T. said "I don't fight poor people".  :lmao:  Then T. went and scored on them.  That whole game was a lot of fun to watch.

 

Second game:  Flames lost 5-3.  Too many penalties taken.  The officiating sucked.  Edmonton had a goal waved off because the ref was going to blow the whistle, then the exact same thing happened to the Flames later. (not reviewed, unlike the first one)  Maybe he should move CLOSER so he can see the puck?   We did win a goalie interference challenge.  Somehow icing was not icing.  Lots of iffy calls.  Call on Lindholm but not the guy who cross checked him.

 

Favourite comment seen on a different board: "We need to slow down McDavid with some honest checks, he is a hockey player not a Mona Lisa. Hit him."  That's what I was thinking.  (Lucic gave him a shock in game 1)   Flames mostly gave up on hitting.  Or effective checking.   And blew a two goal lead.  Ew.  Instead of anticipating McDavid and co, they just react in a panic too late to stop them as they rush by.  Backlund was good though.

 

Meanwhile, why did we have to play that game at home at 8:30 pm?  Too late for pretty much everyone.  Supposedly a combo of the other game not starting till 6 and the PGA being on? 

 

CBC in love with McDavid.  The wedding will be Tuesday. 

 

 

I thought the series was probably over when Calgary went up 3-1 in Game 2. Then the Oilers came back with four unanswered and the Flames just looked stunned. The Flames look like the better team 5-on-5, but they're making a lot of mistakes and leaving Markstrom out to dry. I don't think Game 2 was Markstrom's fault, but he wasn't good in Game 1. The 9-6 score certainly is bizarre for the second round of the playoffs. Is defense illegal in Alberta or something?

 

Seeing Lucic hulk around the ice kind of makes me chuckle. He is so slow compared to the rest of the players on both teams. I'm honestly surprised any team has still been able to find a role for him in 2022.

 

Sportsnet definitely loves McDavid. They also love showing us the Tkachuks in the stands every time Matthew touches the puck, to even it out. It was funny seeing him chirp Kane over his bankruptcy. I saw videos of Flames fans dropping $5 bills over the glass onto the Oilers bench for Evander.

 

I'm really enjoying the Battle of Alberta. You can feel how much the rivalry between the teams and fans is heating up. I see so many car flags for both teams around Victoria.

 

23 hours ago, Mysteriosa said:

Heck of a lot of ads for betting.  Someone on the other site "is NHL a casino now?"   I'm counting the minutes until we find a referee out there with a secret gambling problem.

 

 

I feel like all the advertising they are doing for the betting is going to be cancelled out by the officiating. Why would anyone bet on the outcome or how many goals will be scored or who is going to score in a game where two goals have been called back only because the ref couldn't get in position? Gary can say the officiating is amazing like always, but performances like Chris Lee's on Friday actually has the potential to cost the league money now.

 

Hockey is a terrible sport to bet money on -- way too random and bouncy.

 

In the other series, Nazem Kadri took Binnington out of the game after a collision at the net and then Binnington threw a water bottle at Kadri while he was doing an interview after the game. 🤨 

Edited by RWG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2022 at 11:54 PM, RWG said:

The Flames look like the better team 5-on-5, but they're making a lot of mistakes and leaving Markstrom out to dry. I don't think Game 2 was Markstrom's fault, but he wasn't good in Game 1. The 9-6 score certainly is bizarre for the second round of the playoffs. Is defense illegal in Alberta or something?

 

Seeing Lucic hulk around the ice kind of makes me chuckle. He is so slow compared to the rest of the players on both teams. I'm honestly surprised any team has still been able to find a role for him in 2022.

Oh, game 3 was evil.  So many penalties!  And they've forgotten how to pass again.  Lost 4-0?  Yes, it is illegal.  That's why we are so bad at it.

 

Lucic is one of my favs though because he really does work hard.  Sometimes he actually scores too.  And when he hit McDavid, that was really satisfying.  

 

On 5/21/2022 at 11:54 PM, RWG said:

Sportsnet definitely loves McDavid. They also love showing us the Tkachuks in the stands every time Matthew touches the puck, to even it out. It was funny seeing him chirp Kane over his bankruptcy. I saw videos of Flames fans dropping $5 bills over the glass onto the Oilers bench for Evander.

 

True about the Tkachuks on TV all game (s).  Father refused to throw his hat even when son scores hat trick!  Evander is lucky to be playing.  And how great does that look, broke NHL player because of gambling debts!  Hmmm.  

On 5/21/2022 at 11:54 PM, RWG said:

Gary can say the officiating is amazing like always, but performances like Chris Lee's on Friday actually has the potential to cost the league money now.

It's true.  Imagine betting big money and the goals keep being recalled.  And all the penalties that should have been called that weren't, and the iffy ones that were.  

 

On 5/21/2022 at 11:54 PM, RWG said:

Hockey is a terrible sport to bet money on -- way too random and bouncy.

 

And what IS goalie interference?  

 

On 5/21/2022 at 11:54 PM, RWG said:

In the other series, Nazem Kadri took Binnington out of the game after a collision at the net and then Binnington threw a water bottle at Kadri while he was doing an interview after the game. 🤨 

:lmao:  Totally deserves that.  He never learns.

 

Flames be playing hockey tonight.  Which version of the team will show up?  :shock:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2022 at 5:01 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Oh, game 3 was evil.  So many penalties!  And they've forgotten how to pass again.  Lost 4-0?  Yes, it is illegal.  That's why we are so bad at it.

 

Lucic is one of my favs though because he really does work hard.  Sometimes he actually scores too.  And when he hit McDavid, that was really satisfying.  

 

True about the Tkachuks on TV all game (s).  Father refused to throw his hat even when son scores hat trick!  Evander is lucky to be playing.  And how great does that look, broke NHL player because of gambling debts!  Hmmm.  

It's true.  Imagine betting big money and the goals keep being recalled.  And all the penalties that should have been called that weren't, and the iffy ones that were.  

 

And what IS goalie interference?  

 

:lmao:  Totally deserves that.  He never learns.

 

Flames be playing hockey tonight.  Which version of the team will show up?  :shock:

 

A better one? But not good enough. They looked more organized with Tanev back, but he's nowhere close to 100%.

 

Markstom maybe shouldn't give the puck to Nugent-Hopkins three feet away from the net in the first minute of the game. You can't really say Markstrom hasn't been a probelm for Calgary at this point. I'm not saying he won't rebound, but he doesn't look good. The goaltending guy on the Vancouver Sportsnet station says he looks to like he did when he first got to Vancouver. "Too stretchy," sprawling all over for pucks and opening up too many holes. Which he thinks is a symptom of Markstrom being tired and overplayed. Everyone said all year that Sutter was overplaying him.

 

Gaudreau and Tkachuk need to do stuff too. Edmonton's best players are. It does suck seeing Kane have so much success. He didn't earn the situation he's fallen into, and the Oilers don't deserve to be rewarded for giving him a contract. But that's life sometimes.

 

Hopefully Calgary wins tomorrow. It would kind of be a bummer if this only went five games.

 

Goodbye to the Florida Panthers. I didn't think they'd get swept. They didn't even look interested in the series. Apparently a bunch of the team went to an adult entertainment establishment the night before Game 3. So there's that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...