Official NHL Hockey Thread interim version

Mysteriosa

Sucks to see the Avalanche go down. They'll be a force for years, but this was as good of a team as they'll have for the next few years.

Dougie Hamilton has sort of walked this back, but the NHL should close this loophole. It doesn't feel fair that you can stash all-stars on LTIR all season to be cap-compliant and then add them for the playoffs. They're not breaking any rules, but I bet a lot of teams complain if Tampa wins the cup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess I'm doing the unspeakable and cheering for a Canadian team (other than the one I try to support) to win the cup. My reasons: Burrows, Price, BC-heavy team (Price, Weber, Gallagher), true cinderella team, have taken down two insufferable fanbases' teams in Toronto and Vegas, and it's hard to be jealous of them when they're the Canadian team that lost the cup, and has won so many. I wonder if they can tell the coach who got covid to stay away.

Also, it's our damn cup and this 27-year drought is ridiculous when you consider 7/31 teams are Canadian.

This Blackhawks story from 2010 is very dark. It feels obvious that this is going to end up in Bowman and a lot of his front office getting fired, and probably not getting another GM job in the NHL. I feel like the reason the NHL doesn't want to grant an independent investigation is because they know it will go beyond the Blackhawks. 

On 6/10/2021 at 10:01 PM, RWG said:

Sucks to see the Avalanche go down. They'll be a force for years, but this was as good of a team as they'll have for the next few years.

Dougie Hamilton has sort of walked this back, but the NHL should close this loophole. It doesn't feel fair that you can stash all-stars on LTIR all season to be cap-compliant and then add them for the playoffs. They're not breaking any rules, but I bet a lot of teams complain if Tampa wins the cup.

:w00twave:  I was kind of sad for the Avalanche, even though they went through the Flames that one time like a tin opener, because a lot of the teams sticking around are not super interesting.

On 6/25/2021 at 8:31 PM, ShortstopVM said:

THANK YOU, TAMPA BAY! :ohyeah:

⚡ ⚡ ⚡ ⚡ 

Yes Yes Yes GIF

:haha: I did think that would make you happy.  The only problem is I hate the Lightning...  The playoff score of 8-0 was appalling.

On 6/25/2021 at 10:33 PM, RWG said:

I guess I'm doing the unspeakable and cheering for a Canadian team (other than the one I try to support) to win the cup. My reasons: Burrows, Price, BC-heavy team (Price, Weber, Gallagher), true cinderella team, have taken down two insufferable fanbases' teams in Toronto and Vegas, and it's hard to be jealous of them when they're the Canadian team that lost the cup, and has won so many. I wonder if they can tell the coach who got covid to stay away.

Also, it's our damn cup and this 27-year drought is ridiculous when you consider 7/31 teams are Canadian.

This Blackhawks story from 2010 is very dark. It feels obvious that this is going to end up in Bowman and a lot of his front office getting fired, and probably not getting another GM job in the NHL. I feel like the reason the NHL doesn't want to grant an independent investigation is because they know it will go beyond the Blackhawks. 

I was glad to see the back of Vegas, because I think they have had it pretty easy so far.  I was amazed when Montreal finally managed to win the series.   But is Montreal screwing this up now?  They lost game one.

This drought?  It's depressing.  Though the Flames nearly won it in 04, and Vancouver did too.  We tried, darn it.  We tried really really hard.  And now it is a good year if we can make the playoffs.

Meanwhile, I find hockey is colliding with UEFA soccer.  I am in soccer mode now.  And it is 35 degrees celsius here all week.  ☀️   Incredibly hot. Soccersoccersoccer.  Hurry up Stanley, you're taking too long.   Did the soccer thread get wiped out?  It must have.  Boo.

Edited by Mysteriosa

6 hours ago, Mysteriosa said:

:w00twave:  I was kind of sad for the Avalanche, even though they went through the Flames that one time like a tin opener, because a lot of the teams sticking around are not super interesting.

:haha: I did think that would make you happy.  The only problem is I hate the Lightning...  The playoff score of 8-0 was appalling.

I was glad to see the back of Vegas, because I think they have had it pretty easy so far.  I was amazed when Montreal finally managed to win the series.   But is Montreal screwing this up now?  They lost game one.

This drought?  It's depressing.  Though the Flames nearly won it in 04, and Vancouver did too.  We tried, darn it.  We tried really really hard.  And now it is a good year if we can make the playoffs.

Meanwhile, I find hockey is colliding with UEFA soccer.  I am in soccer mode now.  And it is 35 degrees celsius here all week.  ☀️   Incredibly hot. Soccersoccersoccer.  Hurry up Stanley, you're taking too long.   Did the soccer thread get wiped out?  It must have.  Boo.

Jeez, this heat dome has been absolutely punishing. We've been at 35-40 most of the last five days. Parts of the Interior are still around 50. BC set records for highest temperature ever registered in Canada and energy consumption, dozens of people died from the heat, more businesses closed than for Covid, and you had to wait over an hour for an ambulance. Insufferable day and night. Most people on the coast do not have AC. There is just no way to get away from it and it went on and on for almost five days. I've never experienced anything like this living here. Mercifully, for me, the heat dome is finally shifting off the coast and toward Alberta/Saskatchewan.

I try to follow a bit when the big international soccer games are on. I'm supposed to cheer for England but I'm not very good at being a fan.

Edited by RWG

On 6/29/2021 at 7:18 PM, Mysteriosa said:

It kinda does... But then again, UEFA soccer takes place in the daytime. :yes:

The Soccer thread did get wiped out during The Reset, and I'm just too lazy to restart it at the moment lol

Rinne hung up the skates today. Sad to see him go as he is my favorite player of all time, but happy for him to get to spend more time with his family. Hopefully he still has a part in the front office side for the Preds going forward. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't see a ton of people saying The Kraken really rocked the expansion draft. The other teams had had the chance to learn from the Vegas draft, and they'd had four years to prepare for this one, but I'm surprised Seattle wasn't able to swing at least one of the side deals Vegas did with their amount of leverage. It almost feels like the 30 other GMs colluded and just kept Francis out, or maybe Seattle just waited way too late to bring down its asking prices. They've also been public to be a team that makes analytics-based decisions, but seem to have often valued the . I guess it's possible they like the upcoming drafts and just think they're better off building conventionally. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 12:01 AM, RWG said:

Jeez, this heat dome has been absolutely punishing. We've been at 35-40 most of the last five days. Parts of the Interior are still around 50. BC set records for highest temperature ever registered in Canada and energy consumption, dozens of people died from the heat, more businesses closed than for Covid, and you had to wait over an hour for an ambulance. Insufferable day and night. Most people on the coast do not have AC. There is just no way to get away from it and it went on and on for almost five days. I've never experienced anything like this living here. Mercifully, for me, the heat dome is finally shifting off the coast and toward Alberta/Saskatchewan.

I try to follow a bit when the big international soccer games are on. I'm supposed to cheer for England but I'm not very good at being a fan.

England broke my heart again.  It's so predictable!  Ow.

The heat is incredible.  It keeps coming back.  It's weirdly humid.  And the smoke means that I can't always open the window!  No!  The only thing that keeps me sane is that I have a basement and it's cold down there with the spiders.

On 6/30/2021 at 9:02 PM, ShortstopVM said:

The Soccer thread did get wiped out during The Reset, and I'm just too lazy to restart it at the moment lol

I figured as much.  Darn it.

On 7/7/2021 at 9:15 PM, ShortstopVM said:

"This is our last game on NBC..." 🥺

Really?

On 7/13/2021 at 11:49 AM, Smoochy said:

Rinne hung up the skates today. Sad to see him go as he is my favorite player of all time, but happy for him to get to spend more time with his family. Hopefully he still has a part in the front office side for the Preds going forward. 

Aw.  I liked him.  It would be nice if he stuck around in the organization.

On 7/23/2021 at 12:48 AM, RWG said:

Don't see a ton of people saying The Kraken really rocked the expansion draft.

But they got Giordano! :cha-ching:  It is sad that at one time that would have been the end of the world, and now I'm like, bye!  Have a nice time!  I think the Kraken were less ambitious than Vegas was the first time round.

Interesting things this week:

Calgary signed Blake Coleman, Trevor Lewis, goalie Adam Werner, defencemen Kevin Gravel and Nick DeSimone, and traded for Nikita Zadarov from the Blackhawks who is really tall. Also Dan Vladar, another goalie. Described by one TSN guy as the Sutter-ization of the Flames.

Flame Derek Ryan went to the Oilers.  

Non Flame Fleury went to Chicago and now he says he will actually play, which would probably help, LOL.

New Calgary arena is going over budget, figures.  Not sure if it is going to be the big issue in the Mayor race, or not.  Wicked expensive.  Do we really have to tear down the Saddledome?

After being sad for Montreal not winning the Cup, they draft whats his name, the guy no one wanted to touch with a 10 foot barge pole who sent sexual photos of a woman around his team like a creep.  Why would you draft an instant problem?  You had lots of other choices.

Evander Kane.  What's going on there?  He definitely has a gambling problem plus his wife hates him.  Did he really gamble on games?  Do any of the referees?  I am fascinated.  

On 8/1/2021 at 11:07 AM, Mysteriosa said:

England broke my heart again.  It's so predictable!  Ow.

The heat is incredible.  It keeps coming back.  It's weirdly humid.  And the smoke means that I can't always open the window!  No!  The only thing that keeps me sane is that I have a basement and it's cold down there with the spiders.

I figured as much.  Darn it.

Really?

Aw.  I liked him.  It would be nice if he stuck around in the organization.

But they got Giordano! :cha-ching:  It is sad that at one time that would have been the end of the world, and now I'm like, bye!  Have a nice time!  I think the Kraken were less ambitious than Vegas was the first time round.

Interesting things this week:

Calgary signed Blake Coleman, Trevor Lewis, goalie Adam Werner, defencemen Kevin Gravel and Nick DeSimone, and traded for Nikita Zadarov from the Blackhawks who is really tall. Also Dan Vladar, another goalie. Described by one TSN guy as the Sutter-ization of the Flames.

Flame Derek Ryan went to the Oilers.  

Non Flame Fleury went to Chicago and now he says he will actually play, which would probably help, LOL.

New Calgary arena is going over budget, figures.  Not sure if it is going to be the big issue in the Mayor race, or not.  Wicked expensive.  Do we really have to tear down the Saddledome?

After being sad for Montreal not winning the Cup, they draft whats his name, the guy no one wanted to touch with a 10 foot barge pole who sent sexual photos of a woman around his team like a creep.  Why would you draft an instant problem?  You had lots of other choices.

Evander Kane.  What's going on there?  He definitely has a gambling problem plus his wife hates him.  Did he really gamble on games?  Do any of the referees?  I am fascinated.  

Poor England. But the Canadian women! Christine Sinclair is one of my very favourite athletes in any sport. The wildfires and smoke are absolutely horrifying. One of my friends in Vernon has been evacuated twice this summer. I saw Alberta was getting the smoke from both BC and Saskatchewan.

That is tough for Calgary to lose Giordano to the expansion team. It sounds like Calgary hoped Seattle was bluffing or would lower their price to not take him. Are the Flames really going to re-sign Gaudreau? I feel like all indications a few months ago suggested that relationship had run its course. I think the Saddledome is pretty objectively one of the worst NHL arenas and needs to be replaced, but this thing where taxpayers have to fork over a blank cheque to fund billionaire owners' areana+condo towers+shopping project is one of the most outrageous rackets going.

Yeah, the Montreal draft pick was disgraceful. It's not a great look for Marc Bergevin to claim he knew nothing about the abuse on the Blackhawks and then pick a player whose sex crime he did know about. Bergevin with that pick followed by Stan Bowman's performance was great, just really nice look from the NHL. "How I have done anything wrong? I have co-workers who are female. Hello??" Bowman is still running the Blackhawks but doing no interviews or public appearances. There is something so dark about the way the NHL and the people who cover it continue to treat that Blackhawks/Aldrich story like the 13th floor of a hotel.

Evander Kane throwing games to make money doesn't make sense. Only a goalie could do that in hockey. Betting for the Sharks to win would also be odd, given that they're not very good anymore, but I guess that is what Pete Rose was thrown out of baseball for. We do know from Kane's bankruptcy filing that his financial situation is dire, and it's hard to see how he could have incurred that much debt based on how much he's made in his career without a major gambling problem, so I guess anything's possible. Unlike with sexual abuse of its players by its coaches, the NHL isn't going to look the other way on any gambling activities that would hurt its relationship with sports betting companies. To see the Kanes' little daughter in the middle of this is very sad.

Edited by RWG

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2021 at 11:06 PM, RWG said:

That is tough for Calgary to lose Giordano to the expansion team. It sounds like Calgary hoped Seattle was bluffing or would lower their price to not take him. Are the Flames really going to re-sign Gaudreau? I feel like all indications a few months ago suggested that relationship had run its course. I think the Saddledome is pretty objectively one of the worst NHL arenas and needs to be replaced, but this thing where taxpayers have to fork over a blank cheque to fund billionaire owners' areana+condo towers+shopping project is one of the most outrageous rackets going.

I haven't posted in so long!  It was so hot!  And too much going on. 🦡  And wasps showing up by the computer. (# strange excuses)  I'm waiting for hockey with cautious optimism.

Giordano.   I suspected he would be chosen.  Probably now he will improve and be a force against us, in the traditional way.  When he went to the Saddledome to get his stuff, he snuck into the sauna with a friend and said "Sutter would probably not have approved".  Now he is Sutter free.

What the heck is anyone going to do with Gaudreau?  It's mega awkward at this point.  Stuff said about him and Monahan is pretty nasty.

The new arena plans are much uglier, and there is a mayor race going on with 28 candidates.  LOL.   But it seems like the arena is kind of still an issue, because no one likes the price tag and it hasn't got official planning permission yet and many of the people who approved the deal are leaving council.

There is something so dark about the way the NHL and the people who cover it continue to treat that Blackhawks/Aldrich story like the 13th floor of a hotel.

Off topic, but there is a building at the U of C where the 13th floor was religious studies.  I think the NHL covers a lot of stuff up.  It's amazing to me that Montreal would even try it though.  Bettman knows where all the skeletons are buried.

Betting for the Sharks to win would also be odd, given that they're not very good anymore,

Burn!  Rather like Calgary buying an expensive arena for a team people are not excited about so they can pay more to watch them.

After indecision, Calgary Flames decided on insisting on vaccinations for fans to attend, so some people cancelled their seasons tickets.  On the other hand, some people cancelled their tickets because the Flames took so long to make any rules about it.  (did it balance out?)

Meanwhile in a poll of best mascots   https://www.playcanada.com/news/best-worst-nhl-mascots-ranking/

Poor Harvey the Hound came 29th?  I'd forgotten about the existential horror that is the Edmonton mascot, Hunter the Lynx, and had a flashback.  First is Carlton the Bear, the Leafs guy (he is a cute bear).  

Fans who dislike their mascot the most:  Vancouver!  Harvey also managed to be 3rd most obnoxious.  How did I not know that Ottawa's mascot is called Spartacat??

Matt Stajan is working with the Calgary Hitmen (WHL) now.  That's nice.

On 9/14/2021 at 12:12 AM, Mysteriosa said:

I haven't posted in so long!  It was so hot!  And too much going on. 🦡  And wasps showing up by the computer. (# strange excuses)  I'm waiting for hockey with cautious optimism.

Giordano.   I suspected he would be chosen.  Probably now he will improve and be a force against us, in the traditional way.  When he went to the Saddledome to get his stuff, he snuck into the sauna with a friend and said "Sutter would probably not have approved".  Now he is Sutter free.

What the heck is anyone going to do with Gaudreau?  It's mega awkward at this point.  Stuff said about him and Monahan is pretty nasty.

The new arena plans are much uglier, and there is a mayor race going on with 28 candidates.  LOL.   But it seems like the arena is kind of still an issue, because no one likes the price tag and it hasn't got official planning permission yet and many of the people who approved the deal are leaving council.

Off topic, but there is a building at the U of C where the 13th floor was religious studies.  I think the NHL covers a lot of stuff up.  It's amazing to me that Montreal would even try it though.  Bettman knows where all the skeletons are buried.

Burn!  Rather like Calgary buying an expensive arena for a team people are not excited about so they can pay more to watch them.

After indecision, Calgary Flames decided on insisting on vaccinations for fans to attend, so some people cancelled their seasons tickets.  On the other hand, some people cancelled their tickets because the Flames took so long to make any rules about it.  (did it balance out?)

Meanwhile in a poll of best mascots   https://www.playcanada.com/news/best-worst-nhl-mascots-ranking/

Poor Harvey the Hound came 29th?  I'd forgotten about the existential horror that is the Edmonton mascot, Hunter the Lynx, and had a flashback.  First is Carlton the Bear, the Leafs guy (he is a cute bear).  

Fans who dislike their mascot the most:  Vancouver!  Harvey also managed to be 3rd most obnoxious.  How did I not know that Ottawa's mascot is called Spartacat??

Matt Stajan is working with the Calgary Hitmen (WHL) now.  That's nice.

I think it's often against building codes to not have a 13th floor nowadays. Turns out, it kind of confuses emergency responders when they have to consider spiritual factors to figure out where the fire is.

In BC they made it so you have to be vaccinated to go to something like a Canucks game. Given that he fired the anti-vaccination anthem singer, I don't think the owner would have had a problem refusing unvaccinated fans if he had to.

I've never heard of anyone hating Fin... it's just a whale meant mostly for kids. Lots of people dislike the orca logo in general, as it's associated with the previous owner who was American. Among NHL mascots there is one bonafide star, Gritty, the others are all meh. The Oilers is awful though.

Vancouver is going to be allowed partial capacity for preseason. The province says they could be allowed a full crowd by late October, but that seems optimistic. The Alberta teams are apparently starting with full capacity arenas, even though the situation with the hospitals there is very concerning.

The Canucks still haven't signed Pettersson and Hughes. I feel like that's kind of an important thing they might want to think about checking off the list soon here. Pettersson and Hughes both have the same agent and it's clear they're prepared to scrap for every last penny. I wouldn't be shocked if at least one of them isn't done by training camp. If not both.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 10:58 PM, RWG said:

In BC they made it so you have to be vaccinated to go to something like a Canucks game. Given that he fired the anti-vaccination anthem singer, I don't think the owner would have had a problem refusing unvaccinated fans if he had to.

Flames tried making people use an app which did not work properly.  It was half full for the first game.  I think they probably should have waited instead.

Flames vs Edmonton:  Lost 4-0

Flames vs Canucks:  Lost 4-2

Back to normal then!  🦡   Except we can't blame Giordano anymore.  People say it is just the preseason, but I really think you should try a bit in the preseason. :P

I've never heard of anyone hating Fin... it's just a whale meant mostly for kids. Lots of people dislike the orca logo in general, as it's associated with the previous owner who was American. Among NHL mascots there is one bonafide star, Gritty, the others are all meh. The Oilers is awful though.

Some mascots I notice a lot, like Carleton the Bear who is really cute, and others I never really notice.  Gritty is like a muppet on drugs...I didn't know people hate the orca logo.  

The Canucks still haven't signed Pettersson and Hughes. I feel like that's kind of an important thing they might want to think about checking off the list soon here. Pettersson and Hughes both have the same agent and it's clear they're prepared to scrap for every last penny. I wouldn't be shocked if at least one of them isn't done by training camp. If not both.

Psst.  Pettersson!  Help a team out.  You could come to Calgary.  :cake:

I've just realized we don't have a captain yet.  I look forward to losing to Seattle. 

Former Flame goalie David Rittich is now with Nashville.

On 9/28/2021 at 3:01 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Some mascots I notice a lot, like Carleton the Bear who is really cute, and others I never really notice.  Gritty is like a muppet on drugs...I didn't know people hate the orca logo.  

I remember someone pitched the idea of having all the mascots sit on the stools during the lottery draft, instead of the GMs. I would watch that.

I like the Victoria Royals mascot, Marty the Marmot. He's been the local mascot since the city had an ECHL team. Years ago, the community was outraged when he was assaulted by a musical chairs participant during an intermission segment. The performer in the costume was injured and unable to work for several weeks.

On 9/28/2021 at 3:01 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Psst.  Pettersson!  Help a team out.  You could come to Calgary.  :cake:

I've just realized we don't have a captain yet.  I look forward to losing to Seattle. 

Former Flame goalie David Rittich is now with Nashville.

The Flames have a player called Emilio Pettersen. That's just as good?

I'm glad the Flames don't have a captain. I heard they might've picked Tanev. I don't think I could bear the sight of that.

The Canucks finally signed Pettersson and Hughes. Pettersson got 3x7.35 and Hughes got 6x7.85. The Canucks usually are the ones to cave. They low-balled and held firm, and I don't think the players had the stomach for a long battle the way Nylander and Marner did. They are both represented by CAA (JP Barry and Pat Brisson), and those guys usually scrap for every last penny for their clients. It's too bad the Canucks didn't have the cap space to do Pettersson long term. But they made out ok here.

A few more preseason games. Then Vancouver starts with six on the road.

Edited by RWG

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 12:14 AM, RWG said:

I remember someone pitched the idea of having all the mascots sit on the stools during the lottery draft, instead of the GMs. I would watch that.

I like the Victoria Royals mascot, Marty the Marmot. He's been the local mascot since the city had an ECHL team. Years ago, the community was outraged when he was assaulted by a musical chairs participant during an intermission segment. The performer in the costume was injured and unable to work for several weeks.

I would watch that too!

Someone attacked him?  Mind you, someone once took Harvey the Hound's tongue out...

On 10/3/2021 at 12:14 AM, RWG said:

I'm glad the Flames don't have a captain. I heard they might've picked Tanev. I don't think I could bear the sight of that.

The Canucks finally signed Pettersson and Hughes. Pettersson got 3x7.35 and Hughes got 6x7.85. The Canucks usually are the ones to cave. They low-balled and held firm, and I don't think the players had the stomach for a long battle the way Nylander and Marner did. They are both represented by CAA (JP Barry and Pat Brisson), and those guys usually scrap for every last penny for their clients. It's too bad the Canucks didn't have the cap space to do Pettersson long term. But they made out ok here.

A few more preseason games. Then Vancouver starts with six on the road.

There's still time. We don't have a captain. 

Impressed that they actually signed them though, instead of letting it hang around.

Flames lost 2 preseason games and won 3.  Now in the regular season they've lost to Edmonton 5-2, lost to the Ducks 3-2 in OT, won on the road over Detroit 3-0, and won against Washington 4-3 in OT after blowing a 3 goal lead.  There are signs that they might be getting it together a bit.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:10 PM, ShortstopVM said:

We don't have one either (which is fine by me); we're going with six A's for this season. :yes: 

BTW, I just finished watching your Flames throttle the Rangers at home, 5-1. 😱 

Really?  Maybe having no Captain will catch on!

Flames won all 5 of their away games, and one back at home Sat. vs Philadelphia 4-0.  

Winning?  Is this a trick? :P  Goalie Markstrom got three shut outs in the last six.  In the game vs Pittsburgh he saved 45 shots.  Can this last, LOL?   Too weird.

The Canucks have started 4-5-1. So, not great. They did come back from 2-0 down against the Rangers in the 3rd to win in OT the other night, which was very exciting. Thanks in part to some acrobatics from Thatcher Demko (San Diego Hasek), but this was one of the few games this season in which the Canucks actually looked like the better team.

They are not scoring. They are playing very conservatively because the defense is so bad and needs to be protected. Still, Pettersson needs to be scoring more.

The early 2010s Blackhawks always carried themselves with a level of arrogance and disrespect. Now we learn that under all the success, they were hiding something very dark. I don't feel at all sorry for Stan Bowman or Joel Quenneville. Kyle Beach is very brave. What he's done will help many and the game, not that he owes it anything.

On 10/23/2021 at 4:55 PM, Mysteriosa said:

I would watch that too!

Someone attacked him?  Mind you, someone once took Harvey the Hound's tongue out...

There's still time. We don't have a captain. 

Impressed that they actually signed them though, instead of letting it hang around.

Flames lost 2 preseason games and won 3.  Now in the regular season they've lost to Edmonton 5-2, lost to the Ducks 3-2 in OT, won on the road over Detroit 3-0, and won against Washington 4-3 in OT after blowing a 3 goal lead.  There are signs that they might be getting it together a bit.

I think he was trying to horseplay with the mascot after it pulled away his chair so he would be eliminated. He probably thought powerbombing the mascot wouldn't hurt the person inside because the costume is so bulky. But, he was badly injured. They told the guy to leave the ice and everyone booed. I felt kind of bad for him.

I should be going to a Victoria Royals game soon. They are 1-10-1. But it will be fun to be my first hockey game since the pandemic started.

Very impressive start for Calgary.

The Flames nearly got Eichel, but Vegas did, because they get everyone.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:51 PM, RWG said:

The early 2010s Blackhawks always carried themselves with a level of arrogance and disrespect. Now we learn that under all the success, they were hiding something very dark. I don't feel at all sorry for Stan Bowman or Joel Quenneville. Kyle Beach is very brave. What he's done will help many and the game, not that he owes it anything.

I hadn't been following that story properly, so when I read about it, I couldn't understand how they could do nothing about it at all.  How could you want to work along side someone you think might be doing that?  And it meant he could keep on doing it to other people.  They covered for a criminal.  Even in a cup run, you could replace the video guy.  They had such a big team reputation.  Now I wonder what else is getting covered up?  And it sends the message that if you're a prospect, it doesn't matter to them what happens to you.  Ick.

Very impressive start for Calgary.

Well it was.  Now reality is reappearing.  First they lost a few games but got a point in overtime.  Now they lost to the Stars and Montreal, and both of those teams have lots of missing players.  Mind you, when they win all the time, you can't really complain about anything!  It felt weird. :P  Next up, the Leafs.

The Flames nearly got Eichel, but Vegas did, because they get everyone.

That was interesting, because Tkachuk was going to be traded as part of the deal, and he says he didn't really believe it.  (I do!)  Vegas is annoying that way.  

Former Flame Frolik said in an article that Montreal ended his career with the NHL, because when he got traded from Calgary to Montreal, they didn't play him very much.  They got Corey Perry right after Frolik, so there wasn't available ice time.  Now he plays in Switzerland.  I liked him a lot and that is a pity.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-nh-ler-michael-frolik-says-canadiens-put-an-end-to-my-nhl-career-altogether-162327049.html

The Canucks are at this point just a rolling calamity. I watch a game here and there, but it's getting harder and harder to be a fan because it's just not fun anymore. This start has laid bare how badly managed this team is and has been for 8 years. No one can deny it any more. If it ever does turn around and the Canucks do have another contender, very few if any of the players on the current roster will be on that team. That is the level of overhaul required. There is going to need to be a rebuild on top of this rebuild. Maybe Pettersson and Hughes end up needing to go somewhere  else.

It sounds like Jim Benning is really on his ninth life this time. I've thought that before, I guess. The owner does not want to fire him. If he does finally do it this time, I still won't be optimistic. There will be a new GM, but he will still be someone like Benning, who allows Aquilini to meddle and make sure the team isn't managed properly.

I've accepted they will never win a cup. All I want is a team we can be proud of, and a welcome distraction when the province is partially underwater and the supply chains are broken. But that's too much to ask.

On 11/12/2021 at 2:17 PM, Mysteriosa said:

I hadn't been following that story properly, so when I read about it, I couldn't understand how they could do nothing about it at all.  How could you want to work along side someone you think might be doing that?  And it meant he could keep on doing it to other people.  They covered for a criminal.  Even in a cup run, you could replace the video guy.  They had such a big team reputation.  Now I wonder what else is getting covered up?  And it sends the message that if you're a prospect, it doesn't matter to them what happens to you.  Ick.

Well it was.  Now reality is reappearing.  First they lost a few games but got a point in overtime.  Now they lost to the Stars and Montreal, and both of those teams have lots of missing players.  Mind you, when they win all the time, you can't really complain about anything!  It felt weird. :P  Next up, the Leafs.

That was interesting, because Tkachuk was going to be traded as part of the deal, and he says he didn't really believe it.  (I do!)  Vegas is annoying that way.  

Former Flame Frolik said in an article that Montreal ended his career with the NHL, because when he got traded from Calgary to Montreal, they didn't play him very much.  They got Corey Perry right after Frolik, so there wasn't available ice time.  Now he plays in Switzerland.  I liked him a lot and that is a pity.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-nh-ler-michael-frolik-says-canadiens-put-an-end-to-my-nhl-career-altogether-162327049.html

It's very sad to read about the family of the boy who was the victim of Aldridge after the Blackhawks failed to report the incident. The boy's life was derailed and the family split up. They asked Gary Bettman about providing counseling and he couldn't even say sure to that.

Well it's November and Markstrom has like six shutouts so that's fantastic for you guys. I knew the Canucks wouldn't be as good as they thought but I didn't think the rest of the division would be this good. Calgary and Edmonton both look solid and the Southern Cali teams keep winning too.

I read the Flames were furious with the Sabres over the Tkachuk rumor! They probably leaked it as a last minute bargaining chip to help them deal with Vegas.