Official NHL Hockey Thread interim version

Mysteriosa

On 12/16/2022 at 2:39 AM, RWG said:

He also said the digital ads are working "extraordinarily well." LOL. Gary Bettman really sounds like Donald Trump a lot of the time. You'd think he could say something like "The digital ads are an important revenue stream for the league, it's a new technology and it will improve." But no, he just has to say the criticism isn't real and the countless fans complaining about the pixelating don't exist. 

Next thing you know, the NHL will start banning certain uniform colors because the players can't be seen through the digital ads 😩 The NBA has already done this, and Serie A will be next.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 4:57 PM, Mysteriosa said:

In the last game vs the Kraken, I didn't realize Tanev's brother is on the Kraken team, and the commentator didn't mention it, so at one point Tanev was everywhere, but it wasn't the same one...LOL.  :lmao:  Tanev shoots on Markstrom...um...hmm.

Well from some of them.  He also got booed a lot every time he had the puck.  Monahan was the one that got unconditional love!  :wub:

We steal everything from the Canucks!  

Last game Sutter had to call a time out because Flames were being over run by the Kraken (unleash the...nevermind) and was described as having a face the colour of the red Flames jersey.  But they did win, so it kind of worked.

Since there are ads everywhere, I don't think it cut down on them.  My signal often has been pixellating, I had no time to look at the ads!  

Go team!  

Aw.  I have faith in Huberdeau.  He moved from cozy warm Florida to wind chill of -45 Celsius (before it finally warmed up), so I'm cutting him a break on this one.  He did score the winning goal last time.  And then Lucic hit him in the nose when they celebrated and made it bleed.  Sigh.

Flames have hit so many many posts.  It is getting ridiculous.  Markstrom was shaky but I think he's coming out of it.  All our best players stopped producing goals for ages, it's kind of weird.  

Merry Christmas!  And Happy New Year everyone!  :santahappy:  :party:

Yes there are two! The Tanevs are great. Quiet, hard-nosed boys.

The Canucks are going to have to trade Bo Horvat because they can't re-sign him because they are capped out as usual. If the Flames could trade for him it would be the ultimate piss off the Vancouver fans move by this time taking their captain. Although the Flames do not look certain to make the playoffs, so maybe they won't be buyers.

Markstrom does seem like himself of the last couple years. Of all the mistakes the Canucks have made, I never minded not signing Markstrom. It seems like nowadays a lot of the great goalies have just a few dominant years then kind of lose their hold on the league. 

In other Canucks news, they have finally fired Bruce Boudreau. It is very sad to see Bruce go. He is such a lovable figure, and you never hear anyone say a bad word about him. I don't think he did a great job coaching the team this season. As lame as the roster is, they should not be as bad as their record indicates. But even if the firing is warranted, the way the organization did it, by leaking out that they had hired Rick Tocchet to replace him and then leaving Bruce in charge for another 2 weeks, was awful. They made him walk the longest plank ever. And Jim Rutherford has been going on the radio and criticizing Boudreau's coaching since last year. And then Rutherford does a press conference where he basically claims he did nothing wrong. I  knew Rutherford could be a bit eccentric but he's also quite arrogant.

The next contestant is Rick Tocchet. They will probably fire him in a year when the team still sucks and there's nothing else they can do because they don't have any cap space or players they can move. Another miserable season. I'm praying they can keep playing this bad in the second half, because Connor Bedard feels like the only thing that might save this team.

Happy new year! Is it ok to still say happy new year in late January? :haha: My 2023 started with a coronavirus infection. Luckily it was pretty mild and I'm all recovered. My work and personal lives are quite busy, so there's limited time for the Canucks to drive me insane lol.

On 1/1/2023 at 6:15 AM, ShortstopVM said:

Next thing you know, the NHL will start banning certain uniform colors because the players can't be seen through the digital ads 😩 The NBA has already done this, and Serie A will be next.

At least the NBA required that sponsor logos on the jerseys had to be adapted to suit the colour scheme of the colors already on the team jerseys.

RBC was just allowed to blink its blue/white/yellow logo on the Canadiens' jersey, supposedly the most storied one in the league. It looks awful.

AA120Lk6.img?h=0&w=600&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f&

Edited by RWG

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:w00twave:  I've been riding the Calgary Flames virtual rollercoaster.

Someone today described them as the Katy Perry song Hot N Cold, because they are super contradictory.

Have trouble with Anaheim Ducks and Arizona, but beat Ottawa which was tired from the time change, and then beat Vegas an astonishing 7-2.  Then lose in OT, AGAIN, to Dallas after a start where they were down two goals after 1 minute 58 seconds.  The number of games that end with a one goal loss in overtime is ridiculous.  The number of times other teams score in the first minute is ridiculous.   The Flames hit the post a lot.  Their best players are ice cold.  And Markstrom was terrible until his child was born, and then suddenly it is like he is almost himself again.

The Flames like to sink to the level of the bad teams, but beat the good teams.   77 points, same as Florida.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:02 AM, RWG said:

In other Canucks news, they have finally fired Bruce Boudreau.

Someone said Vancouver is paying three coaches now, one current and two past.  That isn't the cheapest way to do it...

Happy new year! Is it ok to still say happy new year in late January? :haha: My 2023 started with a coronavirus infection. Luckily it was pretty mild and I'm all recovered. My work and personal lives are quite busy, so there's limited time for the Canucks to drive me insane lol.

Any time is fine.  I am sorry to hear about the virus.  I was trying not to let the Flames get to me, but it is at this point just like watching some kind of weird movie and you want to know how it ends.  I'm thinking we might miss the playoffs by like, one point.

RBC was just allowed to blink its blue/white/yellow logo on the Canadiens' jersey, supposedly the most storied one in the league. It looks awful.

I can see it now!  The Calgary Flames brought to you by Calaway Park!  (the local amusement park)  Maybe we could get a picture of a ride straight on the jersey.

Playing LA Kings next.  

Apparently the New York Rangers have never had a mascot.  I never noticed this.  How did they escape?  The Kraken don't have one yet, but they are new.  Ooo.  The Flames were the first NHL team to have a mascot!  I did not know that.  It's our fault!  

Edited by Mysteriosa

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 4:26 PM, Mysteriosa said:

:w00twave:  I've been riding the Calgary Flames virtual rollercoaster.

Someone today described them as the Katy Perry song Hot N Cold, because they are super contradictory.

Have trouble with Anaheim Ducks and Arizona, but beat Ottawa which was tired from the time change, and then beat Vegas an astonishing 7-2.  Then lose in OT, AGAIN, to Dallas after a start where they were down two goals after 1 minute 58 seconds.  The number of games that end with a one goal loss in overtime is ridiculous.  The number of times other teams score in the first minute is ridiculous.   The Flames hit the post a lot.  Their best players are ice cold.  And Markstrom was terrible until his child was born, and then suddenly it is like he is almost himself again.

The Flames like to sink to the level of the bad teams, but beat the good teams.   77 points, same as Florida.

Someone said Vancouver is paying three coaches now, one current and two past.  That isn't the cheapest way to do it...

Any time is fine.  I am sorry to hear about the virus.  I was trying not to let the Flames get to me, but it is at this point just like watching some kind of weird movie and you want to know how it ends.  I'm thinking we might miss the playoffs by like, one point.

I can see it now!  The Calgary Flames brought to you by Calaway Park!  (the local amusement park)  Maybe we could get a picture of a ride straight on the jersey.

Playing LA Kings next.  

Apparently the New York Rangers have never had a mascot.  I never noticed this.  How did they escape?  The Kraken don't have one yet, but they are new.  Ooo.  The Flames were the first NHL team to have a mascot!  I did not know that.  It's our fault!  

The Flames finally start stringing together some wins at the last minute to maybe save their playoff chances, then they go and lose to... Chicago. Ouch. Luckily for them, they have a chance to make it up tomorrow with a game in Winnipeg, but if the Jets win that one I think that will be it.

Calgary has been brutally unlucky with all the SO/OT losses and one-goal losses, but at the same time, it does look like last year might have been their last chance for a while. They just lost too much talent, the players they got aren't as good as the ones they lost, and Markstrom does not look like the goalie he once was. It will be interesting to see what happens if they miss the playoffs. Lots of rumors about issues with Sutter. But he is backed by ownership and just got an extension. Whereas Treliving's contract is up.

The Canucks have been mathematically eliminated. Realistically, they have been out of the playoff race for months, but they continued to play their best players 30 minutes a game and have players play through injuries because they are a delusional organization that lives in fantasyland. They nearly played themselves out of the lottery for the top pick too, but it now looks like they will have a very remote chance at drafting Connor Bedard. Which is the only way I can see this turning around.

I don't know who I'll be cheering for in the playoffs. I guess whoever's playing the Leafs and Oilers.

There are rumors the Canucks might change from the whale to the 90s skate officially after this season. I wonder if Fin the orca would remain the mascot.

Spring! It's light out! And playoff hockey soon!

On 4/5/2023 at 12:37 AM, RWG said:

The Flames finally start stringing together some wins at the last minute to maybe save their playoff chances, then they go and lose to... Chicago. Ouch. Luckily for them, they have a chance to make it up tomorrow with a game in Winnipeg, but if the Jets win that one I think that will be it.

Waaa.  Well the Chicago game disgusted me and could Kadri give the puck away more?  

Then they win vs the Jets 3-1 which is just weird.  

Then of course they lose in OT to the Canucks.  I think they're done, but it isn't official yet.

It will be interesting to see what happens if they miss the playoffs. Lots of rumors about issues with Sutter. But he is backed by ownership and just got an extension. Whereas Treliving's contract is up.

I want Sutter to go back to the farm.  He is so rude in press conferences.  I think the two big players we got probably hate him.  He also hates playing younger players.  Some of the line combinations are seriously odd.

Ownership was probably expecting a playoff run.  Oh well.  That's what happens when you try and relive 2004.  

The Canucks have been mathematically eliminated. Realistically, they have been out of the playoff race for months, but they continued to play their best players 30 minutes a game and have players play through injuries because they are a delusional organization that lives in fantasyland. They nearly played themselves out of the lottery for the top pick too, but it now looks like they will have a very remote chance at drafting Connor Bedard. Which is the only way I can see this turning around.

They still managed to beat the Flames, so there's that. :no:  And you've got Pettersson.

Flames play Nashville next.

I don't know who I'll be cheering for in the playoffs. I guess whoever's playing the Leafs and Oilers.

The eternal truth.  🏆  I actually could open my window yesterday and not freeze to death.  Naturally the weather is going colder for the week...hmm.

A wholesome moment at the Ranger game tonight 🥺:

After the last Home game of each regular season, the Rangers players give the jerseys off their backs to some lucky fans (usually season ticket or plan holders) as part of our fan appreciation night. Not only did Jacob Trouba give his jersey to Isaiah - a student who will be starting college in the Fall - he also presented him with a scholarship from the Garden of Dreams Foundation😲

Isaiah lost his sister in the Sandy Hook shooting ten years ago - an event that he himself survived. 💔 His sister's name is on the pink jersey that he wore tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

WELL.

First the Flames didn't make the playoffs, despite signing two big name players.  In the last game vs Sharks they won while letting some of the young players have a chance.  Awkward interviews with some of the long time players like Backlund, who implied they didn't want to come back.  

Then the GM Treliving didn't sign a new contract and instead left, with the distinct implication that he didn't get along with the coach Darryl Sutter.

Darryl had a two year extension for 8 million dollars in his pocket.  Because owners really like Sutter.  So then everyone was like, if the GM has left,  does the new GM have to keep Sutter? 

And the new long term no move players Huberdeau and Kadri don't get along with Sutter.  Huberdeau's agent was criticizing Sutter on twitter half the season, and Kadri was sulking.  And they are big contracts here for years, and this is only year one!

And Sutter doesn't want to play the young up and coming people who added a lot of enthusiasm, which also meant no one could tell the value of them either, which was a major problem for the GM.

So I'm like, is my team doomed now?

Today they let Darryl Sutter go!

While I don't credit him for the entire bad season, it really didn't help that no one seemed inspired to play under his incredibly grumpy coaching.  I mean Zadorov had a hat trick in the last game, and Sutter didn't show any pleasure.  In press conferences he was surprisingly arrogant, not just terse.  Interim GM says stuff today about coaching today's players...ow.

So the Calgary Flames have no GM, and no coach.

Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF by MOODMAN

On 4/29/2023 at 9:09 PM, ShortstopVM said:

Rangers vs. Leafs ECF incoming... 😏

I missed the last Leaf game but that is some kind of weirdness.  They are actually going to round 2?  Witchcraft!

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs Queen GIF

I watched an afternoon game on TV with Winnipeg and Vegas, which was really good but Winnipeg lost in OT, and never ever got back in the series.  I've listened to a few games on the radio.   I can't support Oilers (local rivalry) and I won't support Leafs (centre of the Canadian hockey universe), even though it is nice to see ex-Captain of the Flames Mark Giordano getting to the second round.  Lots of ex-Flames in the playoffs.  

Edited by Mysteriosa

After almost three years, it's time for the Rangers to retire the #NoQuitInNY slogan - because this team quit again tonight. 🙄

They quit in Game 4.

They quit in Game 5.

And they quit again in Game 7.

Even with Kane and Tarasenko on our team, we've demonstrated that there is plenty of quit on this team. Did we trade for them, only to exit the Playoffs early?

I wish I could say "Good season"... But the Rangers blew it.  😡😡😡

Oh, and to lose to the Devils, of all teams? This has to be humiliating... :closedeyes:

you blew it GIF

On 5/1/2023 at 3:16 PM, Mysteriosa said:

WELL.

First the Flames didn't make the playoffs, despite signing two big name players.  In the last game vs Sharks they won while letting some of the young players have a chance.  Awkward interviews with some of the long time players like Backlund, who implied they didn't want to come back.  

Then the GM Treliving didn't sign a new contract and instead left, with the distinct implication that he didn't get along with the coach Darryl Sutter.

Darryl had a two year extension for 8 million dollars in his pocket.  Because owners really like Sutter.  So then everyone was like, if the GM has left,  does the new GM have to keep Sutter? 

And the new long term no move players Huberdeau and Kadri don't get along with Sutter.  Huberdeau's agent was criticizing Sutter on twitter half the season, and Kadri was sulking.  And they are big contracts here for years, and this is only year one!

And Sutter doesn't want to play the young up and coming people who added a lot of enthusiasm, which also meant no one could tell the value of them either, which was a major problem for the GM.

So I'm like, is my team doomed now?

While I don't credit him for the entire bad season, it really didn't help that no one seemed inspired to play under his incredibly grumpy coaching.  I mean Zadorov had a hat trick in the last game, and Sutter didn't show any pleasure.  In press conferences he was surprisingly arrogant, not just terse.  Interim GM says stuff today about coaching today's players...ow.

So the Calgary Flames have no GM, and no coach.

Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF by MOODMAN

I missed the last Leaf game but that is some kind of weirdness.  They are actually going to round 2?  Witchcraft!

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs Queen GIF

I watched an afternoon game on TV with Winnipeg and Vegas, which was really good but Winnipeg lost in OT, and never ever got back in the series.  I've listened to a few games on the radio.   I can't support Oilers (local rivalry) and I won't support Leafs (centre of the Canadian hockey universe), even though it is nice to see ex-Captain of the Flames Mark Giordano getting to the second round.  Lots of ex-Flames in the playoffs.  

The Flames are definitely making a lot of noise post-humously. I wasn't too surprised about Sutter. There was just too much smoke.

If I'm following the story properly: the Flames ownership basically goes around the management to install its own coach, gives him an extension without the GM's consent, the GM quits, and it comes to light that a the Flames players can't stand Sutter and a bunch of impending free agents will refuse to continue playing him. And now the team's owners that have been nickle-and-diming the city over an arena deal for a decade now have to pay someone $4 million to not work.

Sutter is from another era and basically found out the hard way that the players are much more valuable nowadays. Eric Francis was on the Vancouver station today going on about how it was all mind games with Sutter the players got sick of being belittled by him.

Congrats on your new arena. That's exciting.

The amount of Leafs and Oilers car flags in BC right now is really annoying. I'm cheering for whoever is playing them. The Leafs had to win a series eventually. It is funny that their fans were chanting "We want Florida" after they beat Tampa and have now just lost Game 1 to the Panthers. :haha: Boston losing to Florida was one of the most shocking upsets I can remember but also hilarious. All the teams left are teams that haven't won the cup in a while.

I'm enjoying another Canucks-free spring. Beautiful relaxing weather. Sometimes I honestly don't miss having a team in the playoffs and being a nervous wreck all the time.

On 5/1/2023 at 6:16 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Sutter to the Rangers incoming? :unsure: They just broke up with Gallant yesterday; I'm not sure if I agree with this move, but I guess Drury (the GM) needed to punish someone after the #EpicFail the Rangers just had...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 10:47 PM, RWG said:

The Flames are definitely making a lot of noise post-humously. I wasn't too surprised about Sutter. There was just too much smoke.

If I'm following the story properly: the Flames ownership basically goes around the management to install its own coach, gives him an extension without the GM's consent, the GM quits, and it comes to light that a the Flames players can't stand Sutter and a bunch of impending free agents will refuse to continue playing him. And now the team's owners that have been nickle-and-diming the city over an arena deal for a decade now have to pay someone $4 million to not work.

Sutter is from another era and basically found out the hard way that the players are much more valuable nowadays. Eric Francis was on the Vancouver station today going on about how it was all mind games with Sutter the players got sick of being belittled by him.

Congrats on your new arena. That's exciting.

The amount of Leafs and Oilers car flags in BC right now is really annoying. I'm cheering for whoever is playing them. The Leafs had to win a series eventually. It is funny that their fans were chanting "We want Florida" after they beat Tampa and have now just lost Game 1 to the Panthers. :haha: Boston losing to Florida was one of the most shocking upsets I can remember but also hilarious. All the teams left are teams that haven't won the cup in a while.

Yes, signing players long term and then having Sutter fight with them, was not a recipe for success.  Why did the owners think that paying for Sutter is OK, but an arena is too hard?

I honestly think Sutter was being more passive aggressive than usual, maybe because he didn't get along with the GM?

Ha.  The new arena the city was persuaded to mostly pay for.  Calgarians were not thrilled with the way the costs went way up and the amount the Flames owners pay went down.  It's a bigger deal than the one they thought was too expensive.

Trolling the Leafs was too easy.

Meanwhile.  Tkachuk, being incredible for the Panthers in the play offs, when he definitely didn't do that for the Flames.  Nice. 

Flames lost to the Oilers in 5 games in 2022.  He scored three times in the first game, which Flames won 9-6 after twice blowing their lead.  But the top players Gaudreau, Lindholm and Tkachuk had 14 points against the Oilers.  They blew 2 two goal leads in following games.  (not to mention Markstrom playing .852!)  After a strong regular season they folded.

Arizona Coyotes aren't getting an arena.  At this point it is becoming weird.

On 5/7/2023 at 6:21 PM, ShortstopVM said:

Sutter to the Rangers incoming? :unsure: They just broke up with Gallant yesterday; I'm not sure if I agree with this move, but I guess Drury (the GM) needed to punish someone after the #EpicFail the Rangers just had...

I think he'll just sit on the farm, counting his money.  

Flames are supposedly down to a final four for GM, including former player Craig Conroy.  Which reminds me, when the AHL team was still in the playoffs, Jerome Iginla was in the Saddledome watching a game. Aw.  Iggy in the Dome.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2023 at 2:16 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Yes, signing players long term and then having Sutter fight with them, was not a recipe for success.  Why did the owners think that paying for Sutter is OK, but an arena is too hard?

I honestly think Sutter was being more passive aggressive than usual, maybe because he didn't get along with the GM?

Ha.  The new arena the city was persuaded to mostly pay for.  Calgarians were not thrilled with the way the costs went way up and the amount the Flames owners pay went down.  It's a bigger deal than the one they thought was too expensive.

Trolling the Leafs was too easy.

Meanwhile.  Tkachuk, being incredible for the Panthers in the play offs, when he definitely didn't do that for the Flames.  Nice. 

Flames lost to the Oilers in 5 games in 2022.  He scored three times in the first game, which Flames won 9-6 after twice blowing their lead.  But the top players Gaudreau, Lindholm and Tkachuk had 14 points against the Oilers.  They blew 2 two goal leads in following games.  (not to mention Markstrom playing .852!)  After a strong regular season they folded.

Arizona Coyotes aren't getting an arena.  At this point it is becoming weird.

I think he'll just sit on the farm, counting his money.  

Flames are supposedly down to a final four for GM, including former player Craig Conroy.  Which reminds me, when the AHL team was still in the playoffs, Jerome Iginla was in the Saddledome watching a game. Aw.  Iggy in the Dome.

The Flames have been among the leaders in buying out big player contracts too. They did that and gave millions to Darryl cause they're friends with him, but they walked away from a deal for an arena that would ostensibly benefit the city (and make them more revenue every game) over mere millions. It's the billionaire mindset. 

It's too bad they lost Treliving. I think he is one of the more impressive GMs in the league even if he didn't have much postseason success with the Flames. The Leafs' offseason drama sounds like an episode of Succession. It seems like Kyle Dubas tried to make a play for more power but Shanahan was one step ahead and fired him.

I don't think Bettman is ever going to bring himself to admit defeat on Arizona. Though he is saying that now, I do think losing the Tempe vote has brought the Coyotes much closer to relocation. They make it sound like they simply need to move the arena to another suburb of Phoenix, but get a new plan designed and approved is going to add years. The Mullett Arena situation is an embarrassment to the league imo. They shouldn't even be doing it for one year.

Gary also says the league has "never been stronger." Even though the salary cup is only going up by $1 million for the third straght year.

Congrats to Vegas on what looks like is going to be a stanley cup in their first like 5 years. Their fans suffered so much!

Edited by RWG

21 hours ago, RWG said:

Congrats to Vegas on what looks like is going to be a stanley cup in their first like 5 years. Their fans suffered so much!

I'm comparing apples and oranges here, but the Mets won their first World Series in their eighth season. 😛 

• 10 months later...
Posted (edited)

:w00twave:  Hello Hockey people!  Anyone?

So.  Flames did not make the playoffs.  For half the year the team was kind of a mess, until the people like Tanev, Hanifin and Lindholme got traded. (sidenote, I love Tanev.  He doesn't care, he just blocks shots with his face, and makes no big deal about it) There were moments when they started winning, then they would trade someone else.  It was hard to get invested.

Some new players I really like.  Andrei Kuzmenko.  Yegor Sharangovich.  Connor Zary.  Lots of European players.  Woo!  New possibilities.  Some young talent.  And Kylington came back after being away because of mental health issues.  

I see Vancouver has risen up from the gloom of the Pacific.  I did think at the start of the year they looked spiffy.  They were passing like the Sedins.

A few Flames scandals:  Dube turned out to be one of the players in trouble from junior hockey and at first they said it was mental issues, but in fact, he was wanted by the police...  There was a Finnish guy Flames drafted who got in similar trouble and they dumped him.

Sad moment, when I realized Chris Simon had died in March aged 52, one of the team from the Cup run of 2004 and then read that it was suicide, probably caused from CTE caused by blows to the head from all the hits and fights and stuff.  Awful.  And no one came out and said it on the radio.  They hinted, but they didn't say anything, even though his family told everyone.  How can it ever get better if people pretend everything is OK?  He needed more support.  Don't say you're sorry afterwards.  

And a nostalgic evening as Kipper, our fav goalie got a night when his jersey was retired, just in March.  And Flames managed to win vs Penguins just for him.  :heartbounce:

Could Arizona finally be moving.  To Utah?  Hmm.

Any cup predictions?  Any teams people are supporting besides their own?  I'm not sure who to support, hint, not Edmonton.

Edited by Mysteriosa

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2024 at 9:56 PM, Mysteriosa said:

:w00twave:  Hello Hockey people!  Anyone?

So.  Flames did not make the playoffs.  For half the year the team was kind of a mess, until the people like Tanev, Hanifin and Lindholme got traded. (sidenote, I love Tanev.  He doesn't care, he just blocks shots with his face, and makes no big deal about it) There were moments when they started winning, then they would trade someone else.  It was hard to get invested.

Some new players I really like.  Andrei Kuzmenko.  Yegor Sharangovich.  Connor Zary.  Lots of European players.  Woo!  New possibilities.  Some young talent.  And Kylington came back after being away because of mental health issues.  

I see Vancouver has risen up from the gloom of the Pacific.  I did think at the start of the year they looked spiffy.  They were passing like the Sedins.

A few Flames scandals:  Dube turned out to be one of the players in trouble from junior hockey and at first they said it was mental issues, but in fact, he was wanted by the police...  There was a Finnish guy Flames drafted who got in similar trouble and they dumped him.

Sad moment, when I realized Chris Simon had died in March aged 52, one of the team from the Cup run of 2004 and then read that it was suicide, probably caused from CTE caused by blows to the head from all the hits and fights and stuff.  Awful.  And no one came out and said it on the radio.  They hinted, but they didn't say anything, even though his family told everyone.  How can it ever get better if people pretend everything is OK?  He needed more support.  Don't say you're sorry afterwards.  

And a nostalgic evening as Kipper, our fav goalie got a night when his jersey was retired, just in March.  And Flames managed to win vs Penguins just for him.  :heartbounce:

Could Arizona finally be moving.  To Utah?  Hmm.

Any cup predictions?  Any teams people are supporting besides their own?  I'm not sure who to support, hint, not Edmonton.

Hello!

The Flames did have a tough season. It's looks like their days of being a contender in the West are over for a bit. However, it does look like Conroy was able to make a bit of a start on restocking the system while the team still staying within striking distance of the playoffs for most of the year. I was sad Kuzmenko didn't work out in Vancouver as he  is a very infectious personality. The Hockey  Canada scandal is awful for everyone, but the Flames certainly didn't look good with the handling of Dube.

The Canucks have had a miraculous season and won the Pacific Division, and I went to my first game since the before pandemic times. It was incredible seeing the playoff atmosphere and rally towels back in Vancouver after a drought of 9 years. The two  goals in 12 seconds by Suter and Joshua were incredible. The series against Nashville is 1-1, but the Vancouver now has a devastating injury to Thatcher Demko. I have a feeling he won't be playing regardless of how long the team survives without him.

Farewell to the Arizona Coyotes. Off to Utah. I feel bad for the fans, but the situation had become ridiculous with them playing in that little arena. The league should have done this back when it had to take over the team the first time, but Bettman just kept digging his heals in, got desperate, and lost his bet by teaming up with bad owners. Of course, they're officially only moving the hockey stuff  to Utah, and the Coyotes will be an "inactive franchise." I feel like Bettman is going to stay on for another 10 years now so he can force the league back to Arizona.

I have a very  annoying feeling Edmonton might win the cup.