DWTS Ireland: General Discussion

Ariel1989

Digital Spy is already talking about the upcoming series so I thought we'd start on it too.

Ireland's version of Strictly's It Takes Two, Can't Stop Dancing, has been canceled.

Nicky and Jennifer are returning as hosts. Brian, Lorraine and Julian are returning as judges.

Ksenia and Curtis are leaving. Ksenia will be replaced by recently retired Irish ballroom dancer Laura Nolan. No word on a replacement for Curtis yet. Guessing that Emily, Giulia, John, Kai, Karen, Robert, Ryan, Shauna, Valeria and Vitali will all be returning, not sure if Shauna will get a partner with the addition of Laura.

DS also is speculating Stephen and Kylee Vincent from "Burn the Floor" will be involved in the show.

I'm especially hopeful for Giulia, Kai and Valeria getting contenders. Giulia had some potentially good ones but was eliminated earlier than deserved and lasted long with Fred who wasn't the strongest dancer but fairly likable to the viewers and their partnership was very sweet. Maybe now that the viewers have gotten to know her better, she could go further with a contender this year?

Kai's only contender was Anna and he does really well with contenders during Switch-Up Week like Aoibhín, Alannah (she was tall even for him, the tallest pro!) and Mairéad.

Valeria is a past winner but her partner Aidan was a Man-Child/Chris Hollins-type who won over the superior Aoibhín, Denise, Dayl and Des Bishop. She also hasn't had any contenders except for Dayl and Jake during Switch-Up Week. It would be great to finally see her with a contender for more than one week.

Looks like Valeria and Vitali aren't returning. Neither is Shauna Finn who had been on the bench since the first series. Kylee and Stephen Vincent are indeed joining the show along with Pasquale La Rocca who just won the Belgian version and according to the Digital Spy forum, deleted some misogynistic and body-shaming Instagram posts and said his friend had posted them :rolleyes: I hope no one was fired to make room for this guy. So looks like the final pro lineup is:

Emily

Giulia

John

Kai

Karen

Kylee (replacing Valeria)

Laura (replacing Ksenia)

Pasquale (replacing Curtis)

Robert

Ryan

Stephen (replacing Vitali)

Aww sad news for Vitali and Valeria. Especially sad for Vitali as I really liked him and his choreography/work on the show. :(

Also sad for Shauna too, and it's like a Chloe from Strictly situation where she's a Pro for a few seasons and never gets an actual celeb partner. :(

• 3 weeks later...

The celebs for Season 4 have started being revealed! :w00t: Four celebs have been revealed so I'll do it in two posts.

Glenda Gilson is first Dancing with the Stars celeb

IPB Image

Presenter Glenda Gilson has been revealed as the first celebrity who will be taking part in the new series of Dancing with the Stars on RTÉ One in January. 

The Virgin Media broadcaster said she is "ready to rock" but also "a little bit scared" of taking to the dancefloor alongside 10 other, yet-to-be revealed contestants.  

"I'm not a dancer, so this is totally out of my comfort zone," she admitted. "I've never danced before. But I've loved watching the show on TV so I'm really thrilled to be part of it.  

"I can't wait to learn how to dance, so hopefully I do that during the Christmas period and I won't make a show of myself when I get on the live shows in January."

Link: https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/1201/...he-stars-celeb/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

B*Witched's Sinead O'Carroll joins Dancing with the Stars

IPB Image

B*Witched's Sinead O'Carroll has been confirmed as the fourth contestant on RTÉ One's Dancing with the Stars.

The singer joined Jennifer Zamparelli on RTÉ 2FM on Tuesday morning to share the news that she will be taking to the dancefloor when the show returns to RTÉ One in January. 

O'Carroll has said that she wanted to take part in the series for a number of years. She described being part of the show as "so surreal".

"My kids are so excited; they just told me I have to be good... So the pressure is on from them," she continued.

"I suppose I'm a little bit nervous too about stepping out and doing something by myself as I always had the girls around me.  But I think once I get the first dance done, I'll hopefully be fine."

Link: https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/1203/...oll-joins-dwts/

2FM's Lottie Ryan and Fair City's Ryan Andrews join Dancing with the Stars

IPB Image

2FM's Lottie Ryan and Fair City star Ryan Andrews have been announced as the next two contestants for the new series of Dancing with the Stars on RTÉ One.

The announcement was made on the Ryan Tubridy Show on RTÉ Radio 1 on Monday morning. 

Ryan and Andrews are the second and third contestants to be revealed for the new series. On Sunday, it was announced that Virgin Media presenter Glenda Gilson will also be taking part.

Ryan said she could "not be more excited" about taking to the dancefloor.

"I think it's going to be a once-in-a-lifetime incredible adventure and I cannot wait to get stuck in."

Andrews, who plays Sean Cassidy in Fair City, said taking part is "like a dream come true". 

"I'm a Strictly fan from years and years ago - myself my Mam and Dad always watch it.  And then Dancing with the Stars came to Ireland, same thing, every Sunday night," he continued.

"I've had friends and colleagues who have been on the show and I always cheered them on. I always said, 'I'd love to do it', so then when the phone call came in - it was a definite 'yes'. " 

Link: https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/1202/...drews-for-dwts/

Model Gráinne Gallanagh is the fifth DWTS contestant

IPB Image

Model Gráinne Gallanagh has been confirmed as the fifth contestant for the new series of Dancing with the Stars on RTÉ One.

She joins B*Witched singer Sinéad O'Carroll, 2FM's Lottie Ryan, Fair City actor Ryan Andrews and Virgin Media presenter Glenda Gilson in the line-up. A further six contestants have yet to be announced.

Gallanagh, a former Miss Universe Ireland, said the start of the show cannot come quick enough for her.

"We've had a taste of the glitz and glamour already with the photoshoots etc, but I actually cannot wait to get stuck into rehearsals and then for the live shows to begin.

"I am nervous though about picking up the dances quick enough, but I'm going to try my absolute best and bring in my competitive spirit, while enjoying the experience overall."

Link: https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/1205/...wts-contestant/

Excited about Sinead.

I was actually thinking abotut how cool it would be to have a B*Witched singer on this show so I'm glad it's happening this season. ^_^

Three new DWTS contestants revealed

IPB Image

(Michael)

IPB Image

(Yewande)

IPB Image

(Fr. Ray)

Olympic Gold medalist Michael Carruth, Love Islander Yewande Biala and singing priest Fr. Ray Kelly have been revealed as the latest additions of the new series of Dancing With the Stars.

On Friday night's Late Late Show, the three new dancers confirmed they are set to quickstep their way onto the new series when it returns to RTÉ One in the New Year. They were joined on the Late Late couch by fellow dancer Glenda Gilson who was announced on the line-up earlier in the week.

Speaking about taking part in the hit television show, Michael said: "I’m hugely excited. It’s a programme we watch as a family all the time, myself, my wife and my kids, so I’m really looking forward to it.

"I’m a little bit nervous and anxious about it too as I’m completely going out of my comfort zone, but I know what I’m like, I’m in it so I’ll want to win it, that’s the way I am.  At 52 years of age I still love to give myself challenges and this is a huge challenge and I’m looking forward to it."

Love Islander, Yewande added "I’m super excited, just excited to learn new moves and meet new people.  It’ll be interesting to get to know everyone.  I just want to enjoy the experience overall really."

More comfortable hitting high notes than hitting the dance floor, Fr. Ray Kelly commented: "I’m very excited but there’s a little bit of apprehension there as well because it’s not singing... if you asked me to sing ten songs... no problem... but no I have to use my feet and we’re into a whole different ball game when I have to use the feet. 

"So I’m hoping that it won’t be two left feet all the time and that I’ll be able to get it together...but from watching it on television it sounds so exciting and it’s great to be part of such a great production so I look forward to the weeks ahead".

Link: https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/1206/...tants-revealed/

So we are at 5 women and 3 men right now. We should be getting 2 more men and 1 more woman to close out the cast. :o We got two older men (in 50s/60s) and a young man (20s) - so I would think the next two men would probably be in the 30s/40s range. Then there’s two women in their 20s, two in 30s and one in the 40s. Thinking the last woman could be an older woman?

Fr. Ray and Michael are going to be the ones that aren't good. :P

LMAOO Yeahh my thoughts exactly. :haha:

Seems like Ryan will be the standout guy of this season, unless another male contender is lined-up. All of the women look like they have potential - although i feel like Grainne or Glenda could be an early boot as a model/Miss Universe type seems to go out early.

Fr. Ray and Michael are going to be the ones that aren't good. :P

I hope Giulia and Karen don't get them, they deserve better based on their partner's abilities last year. Give them to Laura and Kylee, the newbies.

Edit: Just saw on Digital Spy that Fr. Ray mentioned on a late night talk show that his partner has her husband on DWTS so it has to be Kylee. Michael is apparently short so that likely means he has Karen :(

Edited by Ariel1989

Brian Dowling for Dancing with The Stars Line-up

IPB Image

As revealed on The Ray D'Arcy Show tonight, television presenter Brian Dowling is set to join the line up for the new series of Dancing with the Stars on its returns to screens in January on RTÉ One.

Brian Dowling came to fame in the Big Brother house and is the latest addition to what will be something of a star-studded dance floor in the New Year.

"I’m super excited because everyone knows the show, " declared Dowling. "It’s on all over the world and to get to dance on one of the biggest shows on Irish television is phenomenal.

"But I am more nervous about this than anything else I’ve ever done as it’s based on your ability to learn a new skill and at my age I’m in my comfort zone...so I’m really pushing myself. When I reached 40 I told myself I was going to start doing things I usually say no to and this is one of those things.

"But it’s great opportunity and I always think the older you get the less opportunities become available to you, so my new lease on life is to say yes a little more and do things that challenge me... so that’s the plan."

The final two celebrities to complete the full line up will be revealed on Monday next on Today with Maura and Daithi on RTÉ One.

Link: https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/1207/...-stars-line-up/, https://twitter.com/DWTSIRL/status/1203447778841710597

~~~~~~~~~~

Wow, someone I'm actually familiar with! :shock: Although I mostly know Brian as a BBUK presenter than as a BBUK contestant (although I remember him on Ultimate Big Brother in like 2010/2011?). But yeah he's fun and hoping he does well. Also wow Brian looks so different from how I remembered him too.

And yayyy we will get the final two names on Monday. Should be one more man and woman. :w00t:

I hope Giulia and Karen don't get them, they deserve better based on their partner's abilities last year. Give them to Laura and Kylee, the newbies.

Edit: Just saw on Digital Spy that Fr. Ray mentioned on a late night talk show that his partner has her husband on DWTS so it has to be Kylee. Michael is apparently short so that likely means he has Karen :(

Ooh wow Fr. Ray gave something that big away. :lmao: Who is Kylee's husband?

Ooh Karen had one of the few great males on DWTSIrl and the only one who won with them, and with the lack of strong males they have on here, I'm thinking other female Pros should have contenders, like Giulia. :ph34rwave: And also Darren was quite tall, so Karen could get someone mid-size or tall.... but also someone short. :lol:

Omg Yewande is going to be on this? :w00t:

I really liked her on Love Island and she’s really sweet/gorgeous. I was going to follow for sure but will be watching to see her!

Ooh i was wondering about your familiarity of Yewande, as i know you watch Love Island UK. I was thinking she would be the one you would stan, and therefore I would too. :giggle: But yeah liking these comments on her and looking forward to her too. :yes:

Ooh wow Fr. Ray gave something that big away. :lmao: Who is Kylee's husband?

Ooh Karen had one of the few great males on DWTSIrl and the only one who won with them, and with the lack of strong males they have on here, I'm thinking other female Pros should have contenders, like Giulia. :ph34rwave: And also Darren was quite tall, so Karen could get someone mid-size or tall.... but also someone short. :lol:

Ooh i was wondering about your familiarity of Yewande, as i know you watch Love Island UK. I was thinking she would be the one you would stan, and therefore I would too. :giggle: But yeah liking these comments on her and looking forward to her too. :yes:

Kylee is married to Stephen, they’re two of the new pros and the only married couple in the pro-lineup. Giulia and Kai are a couple but they’re not married so if Fr. Ray is telling the truth about his partner’s husband being on the show, his partner is definitely Kylee.

Giulia is definitely the most due for a contender; aside from the new pros, she’s the only pro who hasn’t made the Final. Ryan was in series 1, Karen, Kai and John were in series 2 and John, Emily and Robert were in series 3.

Kylee is married to Stephen, they’re two of the new pros and the only married couple in the pro-lineup. Giulia and Kai are a couple but they’re not married so if Fr. Ray is telling the truth about his partner’s husband being on the show, his partner is definitely Kylee.

Giulia is definitely the most due for a contender; aside from the new pros, she’s the only pro who hasn’t made the Final. Ryan was in series 1, Karen, Kai and John were in series 2 and John, Emily and Robert were in series 3.

Oooh ok, it's the two new Pros, I see. And aww good to know with Giulia and Kai, which I can't remember if I knew or not?

Aww hoping for the best for Giulia this year. And wow John seems to be the luckiest pro making it to two finals. :o Since he's also won it last year, I expect him not to get a good dancer this time around but we'll see. :lol:

Oooh ok, it's the two new Pros, I see. And aww good to know with Giulia and Kai, which I can't remember if I knew or not?

Aww hoping for the best for Giulia this year. And wow John seems to be the luckiest pro making it to two finals. :o Since he's also won it last year, I expect him not to get a good dancer this time around but we'll see. :lol:

I think Giulia might be getting Ryan who can move so yay and fingers crossed!

I also think John will definitely get a duffer, Deirdre and Mairead weren't obvious contenders prior to the start of their series being older and John is known for being the nicest of all the dancers like Jonathan Roberts or Tristan MacManus.

I would prefer Ryan the pro to get a middler or duffer since whenever he gets a contender he comes off cocky and obnoxious and super competitive. Last year, he had a duffer and left first but he was calmer and more patient since he didn't have a realistic chance at winning.

Digital Spy thinks that Brian is with Laura, one of the newbies, since they were spotted rehearsing together. Emily was also spotted rehearsing with hurler Aidan Fogarty.

Ooh cool that Brian is on! Between him, Sinead and Yewande, this is definitely the most people I've known on this show, so definitely going to have to follow.

Anyone know places to watch old dances? I've always wanted to get more into DWTSIrl, but usually find myself burned out by the end of DWTSUS and SCD... but this year in general has felt a little underwhelming so I'm looking forward to watching this time around, and it'd be good to get to know the show/pros more too!

Yesss! She wasn't actually on the show that long and was one of the quieter contestants so I'm a little surprised she's on the show, but she was mostly popular in that time I believe. Hopefully she's a good dancer as I'm sure you'd also stan :wub:

I do find it funny that Yewande's doing the show with Curtis now gone, seeing as he was on Love Island UK this year too. :haha:

I think Giulia might be getting Ryan who can move so yay and fingers crossed!

I also think John will definitely get a duffer, Deirdre and Mairead weren't obvious contenders prior to the start of their series being older and John is known for being the nicest of all the dancers like Jonathan Roberts or Tristan MacManus.

I would prefer Ryan the pro to get a middler or duffer since whenever he gets a contender he comes off cocky and obnoxious and super competitive. Last year, he had a duffer and left first but he was calmer and more patient since he didn't have a realistic chance at winning.

Digital Spy thinks that Brian is with Laura, one of the newbies, since they were spotted rehearsing together. Emily was also spotted rehearsing with hurler Aidan Fogarty.

Oooh that would be good for Giulia to have Ryan, if that happens which seems likely.

Oooh I can actually see John as the Jonathan/Tristan type, personality-wise. He had a great run with Mairead, and true she wasn't viewed as the obvious frontrunner/contender type and was more of a surprise type.

Lmao I read these comments about Ryan being like that with contenders. :haha: I only properly watched him last year with the older lady, Eilish I think was her name? He seemed really nice and easygoing with her but yeah I'm a bit afraid to see his competitive side.

Oooh interesting at this spoiler here. :shifty:

Ooh cool that Brian is on! Between him, Sinead and Yewande, this is definitely the most people I've known on this show, so definitely going to have to follow. :lol:

Anyone know places to watch old dances? I've always wanted to get more into DWTSIrl, but usually find myself burned out by the end of DWTSUS and SCD... but this year in general has felt a little underwhelming so I'm looking forward to watching this time around, and it'd be good to get to know the show/pros more too!

Yesss! She wasn't actually on the show that long and was one of the quieter contestants so I'm a little surprised she's on the show, but she was mostly popular in that time I believe. Hopefully she's a good dancer as I'm sure you'd also stan :wub:

I do find it funny that Yewande's doing the show with Curtis now gone, seeing as he was on Love Island UK this year too. :haha:

Ahh that's cool! I only know Brian (and know of Sinead, solely because of B*Witched but didnt know their names) but that's already more than I've ever known before. :haha:

There's a vimeo page with DWTSIRL dances here: https://vimeo.com/user46810372. I'm not sure if Season 1 is there but Seasons 2 and 3 should be. I also want to familiarize myself with the first two seasons if I can. Not sure if I can squeeze it in before the new season or wait until after this season.

Oooh wow this is interesting and surprises me how Yewande got casted - if she didn't last long and is a quieter personality. :o At least she was popular. And lol yeah it's really ironic that she's on the show but Curtis isn't. Kinda sad I didn't get to see Curtis as a pro. BTW Here's a cute clip of Yewande where she most wants to learn the Salsa and I'm already really liking her from this: https://twitter.com/RTEOne/status/1203240983288254464?s=19.

Oooh that would be good for Giulia to have Ryan, if that happens which seems likely.

Oooh I can actually see John as the Jonathan/Tristan type, personality-wise. He had a great run with Mairead, and true she wasn't viewed as the obvious frontrunner/contender type and was more of a surprise type.

Lmao I read these comments about Ryan being like that with contenders. :haha: I only properly watched him last year with the older lady, Eilish I think was her name? He seemed really nice and easygoing with her but yeah I'm a bit afraid to see his competitive side.

Oooh interesting at this spoiler here. :shifty:

Ahh that's cool! I only know Brian (and know of Sinead, solely because of B*Witched but didnt know their names) but that's already more than I've ever known before. :haha:

There's a vimeo page with DWTSIRL dances here: https://vimeo.com/user46810372. I'm not sure if Season 1 is there but Seasons 2 and 3 should be. I also want to familiarize myself with the first two seasons if I can. Not sure if I can squeeze it in before the new season or wait until after this season.

Oooh wow this is interesting and surprises me how Yewande got casted - if she didn't last long and is a quieter personality. :o At least she was popular. And lol yeah it's really ironic that she's on the show but Curtis isn't. Kinda sad I didn't get to see Curtis as a pro. BTW Here's a cute clip of Yewande where she most wants to learn the Salsa and I'm already really liking her from this: https://twitter.com/RTEOne/status/1203240983288254464?s=19.

When Ryan has a contender, he makes Maks, Brendan Cole and James Jordan seem easy-going. It's a shame since Denise was quite sweet and likable but it wasn't enough to balance out Ryan's pigheadedness. Erin was competitive as well but not in an obnoxious way, she was just over-analytical about her dancing and always wanting to do better even when she was spectacular.

Most of every season is there. I can see Aoibíhan, Denise and Thalia from season 1 and Anna, Erin and Alannah from season 2 being the forum's It Girls like Cliona and Mairead from last season. Giulia actually had a contender in Des Bishop during season 1 but they were an early shock elimination, his average was even higher than the winner of that season.

Edited by Ariel1989

I'm actually kind of the same with B*Witched... I knew the other three names but not Sinead..but still going to count it. :haha:

Ooh nice! I'll check this out, thanks! :w00t:

Aww that was a cute clip - all these cast interviews are super fun. Seems like a fun cast so looking forward to seeing the last 2!

Mary Kennedy and Aidan Fogarty complete Dancing with the Stars line-up

IPB Image

TV presenter Mary Kennedy and Kilkenny hurler Aidan Fogarty are the final contestants to be confirmed for the new series of Dancing with the Stars when it returns to RTÉ One on Sunday, January 5.

Having graced our television screens for 40 years, Nationwide presenter Mary Kennedy said she is "really looking forward" to taking to the dancefloor in January.

"I'm quite petrified but I'm looking forward to learning new dances and doing something different," she said.

"I've always been a fan and I've come out to watch the live show every year it's been on so now it's time to pony up and put my money where my mouth is..."

With eight All-Ireland titles to his name, Aidan Fogarty is used to taking home his share of silverware, but this time his eyes are on a shinier prize… the glitterball trophy!  

Speaking about joining the show, he said: "I feel really excited and really nervous.

"I've played in All-Ireland finals and I was coming up here today thinking I'd have taken an All-Ireland Final any day over this, but really excited and really nervous is probably the best way to describe how I'm feeling."

Kennedy and Fogarty join the previously announced Brian Dowling, Michael Carruth, Yewande Biala, Fr Ray Kelly, Gráinne Gallanagh, Sinéad O'Carroll, Lottie Ryan, Ryan Andrews and Glenda Gilson in the DWTS line-up. 

Link: https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/1209/...with-the-stars/

As expected, we got the older woman spot filled as well as the male athlete spot filled. :haha: Looking forward to seeing how everyone does!

When Ryan has a contender, he makes Maks, Brendan Cole and James Jordan seem easy-going. It's a shame since Denise was quite sweet and likable but it wasn't enough to balance out Ryan's pigheadedness. Erin was competitive as well but not in an obnoxious way, she was just over-analytical about her dancing and always wanting to do better even when she was spectacular.

Most of every season is there. I can see Aoibíhan, Denise and Thalia from season 1 and Anna, Erin and Alannah from season 2 being the forum's It Girls like Cliona and Mairead from last season. Giulia actually had a contender in Des Bishop during season 1 but they were an early shock elimination, his average was even higher than the winner of that season.

OMGG Yikes, Ryan is THAT bad? :fear: :dead: Dangg those are the three most hot headed Pros so now I’m terrified to see those earlier seasons. Aww wow so interesting how his earlier partnerships were like and how it seemed Ryan ruins them. Hmmm interesting on Erin too.

Oooh yay that’s good! I’m mostly only familiar with Alannah and I loved her/her dances. :wub: i saw something from Aoibhihan and really liked her/could see myself loving her eventually. Ooh I did see one of Des’ dances and he was quite good, so I was surprised he left so soon. :o And LMAO wow him scoring higher than the winner. I saw the winner’s scores and he looked like he kinda sucked. :ph34rwave: Hope he was likable, at least.

I'm actually kind of the same with B*Witched... I knew the other three names but not Sinead..but still going to count it. :haha:

Ooh nice! I'll check this out, thanks! :w00t:

Aww that was a cute clip - all these cast interviews are super fun. Seems like a fun cast so looking forward to seeing the last 2!

Oooh lol that’s fair to count. :haha:

You’re welcome!

Ah haven’t seen the other ones but willl get to watching them shortly. I do agree here.