Megan's Top Routines of All Time (Currently ranking: Contemporary/Modern Routines)

omg Matt Lee calling them whores in the top 8 women dancehall

the judges are acting like all four women are their daughters and they just came up to them and told the judges they lost their virginity to the boyfriend they've never liked.

Edited by totes4totes
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, kritaaay said:

That is why I was really happy they got in a new Bollywood choreographer!

It was really refreshing! I really enjoyed it!

10 hours ago, totes4totes said:

I didn't think he was that bad. But I'm also biased because I do like him a lot. The faces both Anna and Carter were making were cringe. They had absolutely no chemistry. It was not hot. No matter what Leah Remini said.

I think he looked too stiff and had some wobbly moments in there. But I was mostly focused on Jordan anyway

lol the fact they had to tell us „it was hot!” was cringe as well:rofl:My gaydar is telling me Carter would have had a better chemistry with another guy. :giggle:

10 hours ago, totes4totes said:

lol since there's a week off, I'll just rank all of Talia's routines on SYTYCD in the interim

Do it! :wub: I will gladly re-watch 

9 hours ago, totes4totes said:

omg Matt Lee calling them whores in the top 8 women dancehall

the judges are acting like all four women are their daughters and they just came up to them and told the judges they lost their virginity to the boyfriend they've never liked.

:rofl:

Ranking all* of Talia Fowler's AU2 Routines

(All Except 2 because I didn't find youtube videos of her first two routines with Emmanuel and I wasn't going to rewatch the full episodes for routines I know would rank last place).

Talia DID NOT make the Top 20 of the Rankdown which I'm STILL fuming at so instead I am going to rank all her routines here. I'm just gonna start at #1 because there's no suspense. I included her solos and three small group routines so I could make a list of 20.

#1: "The Battery" - Top 10 Contemporary with Charlie (Larissa McGowan)

I am still trying to find the most aesthetically appealing way to make lists since we cannot center youtube videos anymore. (If we can somebody PLZ let me know). So I guess for now the list will be oriented to the left of the page. Anyway, this was the clear #1 for the list, it may be the #1 if I were going to make a list of all contemporary routines that have been on the show. (Okay maybe #2 since you know I am a STAN of "Silence"). A lot of the contemporary routines on the show could just be called lyrical jazz (in fact that's what they used to be called before Mia Michaels was like "King of Pain" doesn't really fit that) but this is a routine that does feel very contemporary. It's cool. It's industrial. And for SYTYCD it's incredibly bold. There's no story, it's not about heartbreak or loss, it's just a routine that's all about the movement and because of that you end up with one of the single most memorable SYTYCD routines of all time.

#2: "How How" - Top 6 Jazz with BJ (Project Moda)

TBH, this is one of the best "Broadway" routines on the show and it wasn't even labeled as such. It tells a clear story with two defined characters. That's all I really want. But anyway, this is just a genuinely very funny routine. IDF used to LOVE to hate on it because it's not "technically" difficult (whatever that means) and because their second routine of the night was such clear IDF bait (a lyrical hip-hop choreographed by TabbyNaps). But I've ALWAYS loved this one so much more. Like another underrated fave of mine "Boogie Shoes," the beauty of this routine kind of lies in its perceived simplicity and character. It's just a lot of fun to watch and because of that after years of the show passing, it still stands out.

#3: "Valerie" - Top 10 Quickstep with Charlie (Jason Gilkison)

My HOUSE for high quality videos of these routines PLZ. Anyway, I love this. I think Jason Gilkison in Australia really showed that even a standard ballroom could be a standout routine with his choreography. He knew on the show exactly how to create an audience pleasing show-stopping routine with a standard ballroom routine which I think seemingly only the US show has had a hard time grappling with (as @zyanazur pointed out, the US hasn't even attempted a standard ballroom before this season since Season 11). Anyway, I can't believe this was the same week as the contemporary. These two routines in one week may be the best week a dancer has ever had on this show.

#4: "Love Story" - Top 12 Jazz with Loredo (Amé Delves)

I think that this maybe a little bit of an unexpected choice, but I love this routine. I mean, it's Talia dancing to Taylor Swift. DUH. I think Loredo and Talia were a bit of an underrated partnership around here (people DO NOT like Loredo for whatever reason) but this is genuinely excellent. Technically challenging and the kind of routine I was hoping to see from a Loredo/Talia matchup.

#5: "Second Bad Vilbel" - Top 16 Solo

Talia won the season here. In a way her landing in the bottom this week was a blessing because she finally got to switch partners and go from an underwhelming partnership with Emmanuel to a pretty good one with Loredo and she got to showcase this solo. In the span of like 30 seconds, Talia went from a generic ballet dancer to somebody interesting and to watch out for in this competition. It's one of the most memorable solos from a lyrical dancer and that's why it rounds out my Top 5 of Talia pieces.

#6: "It Had Better Be Tonight" - Top 8 Quickstep/Samba with Ben (Natalie Lowe)

Years on and I still don't understand why there had to be a quickstep/samba fusion for this routine. Anyway, Natalie Lowe was a pro for DWTS Australia and Strictly so she knows how to pull off this kind of choreography for two non-Ballroom dancers and the result is a routine that's unexpectedly kind of awesome. It's not perfect (Jason Gilkison on the panel is so smart and articulates the missteps well with Ben's footwork) but again this is a SAMBA/QUICKSTEP.

#7: "Dead and Gone" - Top 6 Lyrical Hip-Hop with BJ (Tabitha and Napoleon)

Begrudgingly I'll admit that this is Talia's best hip-hop. Begrudging because you all know how I feel about NappyTabs. But I've GROWN over the years, and I will openly admit that this is a good routine. Better than most of Napoleon and Tabitha's weak lyricals that they provided the US. There are still some STUPID moments (the part where it has the cardinal directions and BJ moves his head that way and Talia is doing nothing but pretending to take off a ring for like 16 beats). But this routine really showed how much Talia had improved since her first hip-hop. BJ is good too. They sell the routine.

#8: "Jai Ho" - Top 12 Bollywood with Loredo (Ramona Lobo)

Once again I'm not a Bollywood expert but this is INCREDIBLE because they chose the remix of "Jai Ho" that features the PUSSYCAT DOLLS.

#9: "The Boy Does Nothing" - Top 2 Jive with Charlie (Jason Gilkison?)

I really like that for two seasons the "battle" between the top 2 dancers in Australia were two great jives. I do wish that Charlie and Talia had been paired up more. They are an electric partnership full of so much talent and could have been something really special.

#10: "Diva" - Top 8 Hip-Hop with Ben (Rosa Agius)

ICONIC and I will hear NO other words about it. It's really a testament to Talia's talent that this lands SO LOW on this list. Because it's actually incredible. Every time I watch this routine I end up liking it more. I feel like I wrote it off and if I hadn't already ranked SO MANY routines I would move this up higher. But then I'd feel bad about writing them lower. Spiritually know that this is higher. Actually, I am going to rank it higher. F*ck it.

#11: "Watch Dem Roll" - Top 8 Dancehall with Amy, Gianne, and Kat (Tiana Joubert)

I don't have a Youtube link for this except to the full episode, but I'm ranking this at #10 instead of where it probably should go down in the lower teens because of how GROSS Matt Lee and Jason Coleman were. Of the four Talia was admittedly the weakest of them. But it was still a FUN routine. The Australian version has done a lot right and up until all of us finding Benelux was probably the standard of the show, but this was one of its lowest moments for sure. As much as Bonnie would hate it, this panel would probably be better with Nigel Lythgoe instead of Matt Lee and Jason Coleman.

#12: "Whatever Lola Wants" - Top 4 Argentine Tango with Ben (Fabio Robles)

Wow, do I like an Argentine Tango to "Whatever Lola Wants." I feel some people will believe this is rated too high, especially above her second contemporary with Charlie but you have to know me. And to know me is to know that I just really enjoy watching Talia in all these ballroom routines. I think what really drops this down a few places though is that Ben, while solid, is a bit of an unexceptional partner. They lack a sensual chemistry that you'd really want in an Argentine Tango to make it pop and also Talia's sleeves are dumb. But overall it stands out more to me than some other routines so it gets a surprise Top 12 ranking from me. (Really would have been 10 if I didn't want to stick it to Matt Lee and Jason Coleman who will never see me calling them out for being slut shamers 13 years ago).

#13: "Take a Bow" - Top 4 Solo

There's no individual video for this that has music so you will have to trust me that it's good!!!!!!

#14: "Trouble Trouble" - Top 14 Salsa with Loredo (Oliver and Luda)

After being paired with Emmanuel who was holding her back, Talia immediately smashes it out of the park with an entertaining albeit light on actual salsa content salsa. They won the "I'm Lovin' It" dance of the week with this and it's not hard to figure out why. Loredo you can take or leave him (I'm guessing Ben could have serviceably done the same) but Talia is really amazing. It's here when you can really tell how versatile she is and the star power she has. You can watch the judging in this and Mary is fantastic as a judge. I kind of miss her in the US. Jason Coleman makes you miss Nigel. That's how bad he is. After Matt Lee's DUMB comments, I'm glad they won the "McDonald's I'm Lovin' It" dance of the week.

#15: "Warwick Avenue" - Top 4 Contemporary with Charlie (Debbie Ellis Linnert)

This a routine that's faded with time. Not because it isn't great but because there have been so many good contemporaries that a standard contemporary like this doesn't stand out nearly as much. Still love it though. Talia is predictably amazing.

#16: "Wilkommen" - Top 6 Broadway with Amy and Kat (Kelly Aykers)

These past few routines it's been so hard because I think that nearly every routine on my list between like 10 and 16 could be interchanged. I think this could have easily been forgettable but the choreography and the three women really bring the character. And the costuming is great. Can't believe Jason and Matt didn't call them whores in this. Jason wants to f*ck Talia. Oh wait, Matt Lee called them tired hookers. If I never have to hear Matt Lee again (I don't thank GOODNESS) it would be a blessing. I hate him.

#17: "Kissing You" - Top 6 Solo

My least favorite of Talia's solos. It's just. There. She's done better more exciting stuff.

#18: "Fever" - Top 4 Contemporary with Amy (Sarah Boulter)

This routine makes me SO MAD. It's so dumb. I just hate it when they are like "here are the top two women, let's show how STRONG they are but also FEMININE. We will make them wear one heel and one ballet flat."

#19: "Womanizer" - Easter Special Jazz with Amy, Ben, and Charlie (Matt Lee)

freak Matt Lee and freak this completely sexless routine to "Womanizer."

#20: "Freeze" - Top 18 Hip-Hop with Emmanuel (Nacho Pop)

This is here so I could round it to 20 routines and so you could see what I mean when I say that Talia was really just generic until she got paired with Loredo. Or really her solo. I also HATE Nacho Pop and his fake bad popping routines.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Talia was that bitch. I would have your #12 and #15 higher but honestly the whole Top 7 here is pretty flawless. Top 2 absolutely correct

Imagine thinking she was forgettable!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, everything between like 9 and 16 could almost be interchangeable. She’s so very good and all her routines could be in her top 10.

• Like 1

Talia is flawless. :wub: She honestly owned AU2 like no other. Your top 2 is probably my top 2 as well. The Battery is perfection, of course, but How How is that kind of routine you can watch as many times as you want & never get tired of it. It always makes me smile. :wub:

Warwick Avenue is also one of my huge favourites of her, and I feel the opposite, it's actually grew on me over time. :haha: It's like that hidden gem you re-discover again and remind yourself how good it was :wub: Talia's emotion and maturity in that routine is on a level not many dancers are able to achieve. Similar story with Dead & Gone.

Her top 16 solo and Love Story were truly hear breakout moments and from that point she has been seen as a dark horse and true contender.

As for Ballroom, my favourites of hers are actually Argentine Tango (perfection) & Salsa. ❤️ But I still loved the other ones as well lol

I also really loved her Sonya Tayeh solo on US5 finale, but I can't find it anywhere in a decent quality. :broken:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I wish that they showed a montage of Talia's journey before her solo on the US show, like how they do when a dancer goes home. I feel like it would have helped the audience see that she went through the same entire process as the US dancers.

11 hours ago, Erestor said:

Talia is flawless. :wub: She honestly owned AU2 like no other. Your top 2 is probably my top 2 as well. The Battery is perfection, of course, but How How is that kind of routine you can watch as many times as you want & never get tired of it. It always makes me smile. :wub:

Warwick Avenue is also one of my huge favourites of her, and I feel the opposite, it's actually grew on me over time. :haha: It's like that hidden gem you re-discover again and remind yourself how good it was :wub: Talia's emotion and maturity in that routine is on a level not many dancers are able to achieve. Similar story with Dead & Gone.

Her top 16 solo and Love Story were truly hear breakout moments and from that point she has been seen as a dark horse and true contender.

As for Ballroom, my favourites of hers are actually Argentine Tango (perfection) & Salsa. ❤️ But I still loved the other ones as well lol

I also really loved her Sonya Tayeh solo on US5 finale, but I can't find it anywhere in a decent quality. :broken:

She really did ❤️ I'm glad you agree with me about "How How" it's just so much fun.

It's incredibly good but I feel it just doesn't standout compared to The Battery. Which is unfair to it since The Battery is like maybe the best contemporary in this entire show.

Yes!!!!!!!!

I actually originally had the Argentine Tango ranked much higher but it ended up dropping in my rankings as I was doing the rewatch.

Oh I know. Ugh. I would DIE (metaphorically) for high quality videos.

3 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

I wish that they showed a montage of Talia's journey before her solo on the US show, like how they do when a dancer goes home. I feel like it would have helped the audience see that she went through the same entire process as the US dancers.

I agree. I was like "who is this woman" LITTLE DID I KNOW.

• 2 weeks later...

My spidey sense was telling me "The Battery" got mentioned somewhere on IDF and I was right...

Like 10 years ago I did my ranking of my Top Routines of All Time for all seasons and this came in as #1. I'm pretty sure if I did a new routine ranking it would be right up there in the same spot. It's just so so good.

image.jpeg.820dc99812eb3260fd11b1ff1ecbad76.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh Doriana... she pretty much stopped trying to make good routines and instead tried to make crazy spectacles and torture the dancers. I think she even straight up said "this is about trying to top ourselves" in one of the rehearsals lol. I think Janette/Brandon and Tiffany/Brandon are the few couples past Season 3 that achieved what Doriana was trying to do, but yeah it has usually either been a pure struggle or just really derivative. God forbid we let anyone else choreograph the genre

• Like 1