Megan's Top Routines of All Time (Currently ranking: Contemporary/Modern Routines)

Top 10 Routines of So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation

so-you-think-you-can-dance-the-next-gene

Getting the kids version out of the way. I enjoyed it more than I thought but at the end of the day, I'd rather watch adults dance. I tended to like the routines where when I watched I thought "now this child could NOT be replaced by an adult and result in a better routine with the exact same choreography." As much as I am CRAVING a new season of So You Think You Can Dance, if Nigel said "KIDS OR NOTHING," I may have to go with nothing.

#10: "Salute"

CoQ9xwKUEAEHsny.jpg

Gaby and Emma

Top 9

Chloe Arnold - Tap

This was the only tap routine that I thought was memorable this season. And there were many. I almost chose "Walk Like an Egyptian" for this spot but they chose a shitty cover. And I like Chloe Arnold more than the other choreographers. So it was an easy option.

#9: "Panda" 

top-9-contestant-kida-burns-and-allstar-

Kida and Fik-Shun

Top 10

Dave Scott - Hip-Hop

TBH could have put like any Kida and Fik-Shun routine at this spot. They were all basically the same. I kid. But at the same time. They were all good but I feel like the choreographers weren't challenged as much to step outside the box. Kida is basically a shorter Fik-Shun. If you compare the breadth of Hip-Hop that Tahani and Comfort had to do compared to Kida and Fik-Shun. Well it ends up with all of their routines blending together. Anyway, it's October so their puppet routine gets the representation here. 

#8: "I'm Going Down"

W5A8439_hires1-1024x736.jpg

Tahani and Comfort

Top 8

NappyTabs - Lyrical Hip-Hop

Wonky camera-work aside, I enjoyed this routine. Wish it had better camerawork. Chose this over other Comfort/Tahani routines because this was the most "you had to have an adult and child perform this routine."

#7: "My Own"

top-10-contestants-ruby-castro-and-jorda

Jordan and Ruby

Top 10

Dee Caspary - Contemporary

The only child/child routine to make the list. Because I felt as if it were a routine that could only be done by children. It matched the rules for making it. I also just enjoyed Jordan that season. 

#6: "She Used to Be Mine"

top-8-contestant-tate-mcrae-and-allstar-

Kathryn and Tate

Top 8

Contemporary - Travis Wall

I feel like it's a cliche choosing this routine that was so clearly designed to be like awards bait. Emmy bait. Like how some movies are made to be Oscar bait. This season felt a little bit like the Travis Wall "For Your Consideration" reel. To be fair he did win for this season. I am the EMMY VOTERS. LOL.

#5: "Amazing Grace"

57d1ca25d1ae0.image.jpg?resize=1200,799

Sasha and Jordan

Top 8

Sean Cheesman - Contemporary

This was just a lovely routine and it MOVED me. 

#4: "Feel Again"

Jenna, Sasha, Kathryn, Marko, Paul

Top 5

Theresa Stone - Contemporary

TBH if I were more ~~~objective~~~ this wouldn't make my Top 10. But I am not objective and Jenna being the star of a contemporary group routine when Kathryn is RIGHT there is enough to send me ROLLING and this into my Top 10. 

#3: "Dangerous" 

All-Star Men and Comfort

Top 6

Luther Brown - Hip-Hop

I almost removed the last routine and this one because I couldn't find available screengrabs. I will have to make them myself. Comfort is good. Robert is about as good at hip-hop as JT. That doesn't stop me from ranking this because with Fik-Shun and Marko and Comfort I can ignore the less good Robert and the "I can't believe he's in this group" Jonathan and Paul.

#2: "How Long Will I Love You"

1370105_735x390.jpeg

Jenna and Emma

Top 4

Jaci Royal - Contemporary

JENNA DESERVES ONE GOOD ROUTINE. JK. This is good. Again it fills all the requirements: Jenna for some reason being used as a contemporary All-Star and it being a distinctly CHILD-ADULT routine rather than a routine built for an adult and a slightly smaller non-Adult. 

#1: "The Mirror"

MLB_1680_hires1-1024x698.jpg

Robert and J.T.

Top 10/Top 4

Travis Wall - Contemporary

I've known since I started this that it was going to be my Top Routine. If you read my criteria you know that my like Number 1 criteria was that the routine would not be a impactful without a child. And because Robert and JT probably have the biggest difference age wise and looks wise, JT and Robert's routines really stood out in that category for me because the choreographers basically couldn't give them the exact same choreography (there's a lot of good hip-hop from Kida and Fik-Shun this season but it kind of falls in the category of I could see that on a normal season with like Fik-Shun and Dassy). I could have had like half the list with JT and Robert routines, but I restrained myself and chose one. Overall, I think that this is just a really touching and emotional routine from an adult confronting their past. And I will admit that though it's very literal, I love the use of "The Mirror" by Alexandre Desplat because in the end I will always be a fan of Alexadre Desplat.

AND NOW I AM DONE WITH THE CHILDREN SEASON. I will move on to a different season now. 

Routines that almost made the list but I cut out for VARIETY:

Jake/Jenna Jive

Robert/JT Mandy Moore Contemporary

Robert/JT Stacey Tookey Contemporary

Literally every other Kida/Fik-Shun Hip-Hop

Tahani/Comfort Jamal Sims Hip-Hop

Send in the Clowns Group Routine

All-Stars Tasty Oreo Routine

jk it's a very reasonable list. I don't hate this kid season that much, but it definitely feels lesser by default. I think it turned out more stellar routines than some other seasons, but it is definitely not at ALL fun to watch in comparison. Much rather would watch adults mess up routines than kids nail them. Plus it's just mean to eliminate children from shows like this... not good TV imo

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

jk it's a very reasonable list. I don't hate this kid season that much, but it definitely feels lesser by default. I think it turned out more stellar routines than some other seasons, but it is definitely not at ALL fun to watch in comparison. Much rather would watch adults mess up routines than kids nail them. Plus it's just mean to eliminate children from shows like this... not good TV imo

Yah that's how I feel. Some child shows I like (Masterchef Jr for one). But I don't necessarily watch SYTYCD for the same reasons I watch Masterchef Jr. Like there are so many routines where I'm like "Yah, I want to see Comfort do a dancehall but not a 12-year-old." Which is why I ended up ranking routines higher and giving them preference if they were very much "this needs a kid." And that's one of the reasons why I felt Travis was so successful this season because he really nailed that aspect.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Things I have had a harder time lifting over my head than Iman lifting Daniella over his head:

1) My 9lb cat

2) a baby

Also. If I didn't have nearly a decade invested in Jenna being my favorite. Daniella would be my favorite pro for sure.

I love how Daniella is pretty much like f*ck my partner, I'm just gonna make the routine about me :wub:

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 3:24 PM, totes4totes said:

chicago sky better win the finals because that's the only way i will be able to handle potentially 2 of Stef/Kah/Diamond leaving this team in the offseason

Omg they did it 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

literal wives Vanderquigs winning a Championship together 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

candace parker bringing a championship to her hometown 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Kahleah Copper mvp 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

stef dolson the only woman basketball player to win an Olympic gold medal and a championship this year 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

• Like 1

13 hours ago, *Diana said:

I hated Katie so much. Michelle one episode in blows Katie's entire season out of the water lol

i never hated Katie but I hated that she was the Bachelorette and she was way too meta.

Michelle already bringing all the glamor that Katie never brought. And the way she handled the ~binder drama~ was good. And the way she talked to Joe!

• Like 1