Why Lady K. Lost

CarmenSandiego

Earlier, I analyzed why Emyrson and Mike were eliminated on Disney Night.  Now it's time to look at the last contestant to be eliminated on Disney Nigh:  Lady K.  She had the potential to go very far in the competition, so why was she eliminated on Disney Night?  If we take a look at the rules that American Idol Season 20 contestants should ideally follow, we can see what Lady K. did right, what she did wrong and why Lady K. lost.

Show Singing and Performing Talent

There is no doubt that Lady K. had enough singing and performing talent to make the Top 24.  And there were times in the voting rounds when she showed that talent, such as in the Top 20 round when she sang "Love On the Brain".  Unfortunately, there were other times when she didn't show it as much as she could have, such as "traitor", the song she sang in the Top 11 round.  How about in her final performance?  Unfortunately, it was kind of a mixed bag.  The TooFab staff thought that Lady K didn't quite get them to the emotional point that "How Far I'll Go" needs to get people to, and they noticed sharp notes and breathing issues.  Crisis noticed timing issues with her.  While I liked it more than they did, I still didn't think that it was the best performance of the night.  Part of the problem might have been that she admitted to getting a little bit overwhelmed while performing the song.  Thus in the end, Lady K. failed this rule.

Song Choice Is Key

I believe that this is the biggest reason for Lady K's elimination.  It began in the Top 24 round, where she chose Carrie Underwood's "Before She Cheats."  Like Tristen later on, she forgot that you should never take on a song performed by an American Idol winner, as you're begging to be compared to the winner and you'll probably come out the loser.  This is doubly true if you tackle a coronation song done by a winner, as shown when she took on Fantasia's "I Believe".  Lady K. struck out with this rule, and she paid for it, sadly.

Be Consistently Great or Better Yet, Consistently Improve From Week To Week

This was another rule that Lady K had problems with.  She wasn't consistently great, nor did she improve from week to week.  Instead, she was up and down, thanks to her bad song choices.  Sooner or later, it was going to catch up to her, and it did.  Thus Lady K. fouled up this rule as well.

Stand Out By Being Unique or By Being Memorable For Positive Reasons

At least Lady K did all right with this rule.  She was memorable for her sad backstory, much like Just Sam was.  This might be why she lasted as long as she did, especially over Allegra, who was improving every week.  But Lady K's bad song choices and inconsistency ruined her success in this rule.  Still, this didn't cause her to lose, so we can move on.

Remember, You Are a Package

Lady K's track record with this rule was kind of a mixed bag.  On the one hand, she had her backstory going for her.  On the other hand, her song choices indicate that she might not have known what her musical identity was.  After all, she sang a song written by a country singer in the Top 24 round!  But I don't thin this had a major role in her defeat, so I'll move on.

Never, Ever Argue With the Judges or Respond To Any Baiting From Ryan

This was another rule that Lady K did all right in.  Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to overcome her failures in the other rules, so I'll move on as well.

Gather a Fan Base -- And Sustain It

Lady K did all right with this rule early on, thanks to her backstory and her coming from judge Lionel Ritchie's hometown.  Unfortunately, she wasn't able to sustain it, thanks to her awful song choices.  Thus, this was the final rule that Lady K fell short in.

Lady K. began well.  She had a backstory that could attract fans, and she came from the hometown of one of the judges.  However, she fell afoul of the second rule.  All too often, her song choices were awful, and they led to inconsistent performances.  As a result, Lady K. lost her early advantage.  She needed a showstopper to get into the Top 7, but she was so overcome with emotion that she couldn't deliver the showstopper that she needed.  And that is why Lady K. lost.

• Like 1

Agree with everything you said, and for that, splendid analysis!

In all seriousness, she's someone that had potential to be one of my favorites if she was just more consistent vocally. I also feel the same way about Jay.