Eurovision Song Contest 2021 : Open Up (18-20-22 may 2021)

world_idols

12 hours ago, monkshood said:

Is this competition more about the song and not the performers?

It's more about how the performers, chosen to sing the song, sell the song to the public.  You give your song to someone known to put out clunkers, you're probably going to catch that flight out of the host country the next day. 🤢🤮

Having said that, here is how I rated the performances from the 2nd semifinal:

9.67 Switzerland

9.64 Iceland (best rehearsal session used)

9.63 Bulgaria

9.51 Serbia

9.48 Greece

9.48 San Marino

9.43 Portugal

9.42 Denmark

9.41 Austria

9.41 Finland

- - - - - - - - - - - -

9.32 Estonia

9.30 Albania

9.28 Georgia

9.28 Moldova

9.25 Czech Republic

9.20 Poland

9.11 Latvia

When you have a song as extraordinary as "Tout L'Univers" (for which I gave a 10.0 for the music and musical arrangement, my only 10.0 since first watching this contest in 2013), you can sell it almost any way you want.  Gjon and his team took the middle ground between low-key (mostly) and active.  I'm glad they kept the stage mostly dark.  He is my #1 overall for this contest, as was the case for last year's canceled contest.

With Jóhann isolated and getting the fast track to treatment for the presence of the virus, it is one of their rehearsals that saves this band and Iceland.  I wondered what they were going to do with those round portable prop keyboards.  For the 3rd-straight year (including the canceled year), Iceland has proven to be serious contenders once again, the last 2 with 1980s-style retro-funk from Dađi and his band.  Let's hope they're not forced to withdraw, because I expect them to finish in the top 5.

The sands of time falling from the sky, and what looks to be a raft on the water.  Interesting way to sell a performance; and I have no doubt that Victoria and her crew would have sold last year's song in a similar fashion.  But her voice sells the song even more.  She was my #2 last year and my #2 this year.

This is an example of how to sell vixen.  Your singing had better be as well as (if not better than) your looks.  Fortunately, Sanja has been here before, proving it with her band ZAA in 2016, with a more low-key effort.  "Loco Loco" is as crazy as it is good.

I can't exactly call Stefania's "Last Dance" synthwave (yet), because it has bits and pieces of the late-1980s and early-1990s in it, a style that I have yet to come across at YouTube.  But the lyrics are outstanding, and the CGI arrangement, excellent, something I didn't expect.

The tiny city-state of San Marino (with a population of just about 35,000) seems to have finally found the formula for qualifying:  (1) Ditch Ralph Siegel (who has not written or produced a worthy contender since 1999), and (2) quit being overly reliant on Valentina Monetta, who qualified in 2014 (with a Siegel song), but after 2017 has probably had her day.  Who would have thought, a Turk (Serhat) with an engaging personality would save them, after failing once?  Now, another (Senhit), who failed once (2011), comes back, teams up with Flo Rida and gets a production worthy of the 21st century, and has a chance to bring this tiny country to the top-half of the final standings.

With a story from the point of view of a prostitute, I was not at first impressed enough that Portugal could qualify.  But after watching Belgium sell their performance the old-school way and qualify (and deserve to qualify), I started to think that maybe the Black Mamba could squeeze into the final.  After seeing the performance again, I was convinced that they were in.  Bookies now think they could finish top-10.

I thought we'd see one pure synthwave entry in the final.  In Fyr og Flamme's case, it was the Europop style almost reminiscent of Modern Talking.  I thought it would be a plus for them.  Unfortunately I guessed wrong. 😥🤧  This was the first all-Danish-language song sent to the contest since 1997.

Wrong again, I guessed, in the case of Vincent Bueno.  His less-is-more ballad approach ended up getting lost in a sea of superior ballads.  I thought his singing would be more than enough to squeeze into the final.

Finland and metal; perfect together.  They bring energy and a hard-rock song to the Eurovision stage, they will qualify.  Lordi (who won in 2006) and Softengine (11th in 2014) can attest to that.  Can Blind Channel finish in the top-half?  Will we finish with two rock bands in the top 10?

Now, for the rest:

For Uku Suviste, he obviously wasn't "The Lucky One" this week; and I happen to think he might have had a chance last year with "What Love Is".

For Albania, songs with their cultural vibe kept intact get the public's approval way better than songs rewritten with English lyrics and the music rewritten (to its own peril) to attract a CHR audience (2014, 2016).  For Anxhela, I thought she'd be forgotten in this tough semi.

Tornike had a much better song last year with "Take Me As I Am".  His attempt at a late-1960s-style psychedelic ballad was obviously too quiet for those who expected a sequel to his 2020 song.

In the case of Natalia, this is an example of how not to vixen.  The stage performance screamed cliché to me, and she's in only because of a couple of other acts whose chances of qualifying were problematic.  I wouldn't be surprised if she qualified barely 9th or 10th.

The last 3 were undoubtedly a mess.  In Benny's case, he let the moment control him when he should have controlled the moment, something I think he might have done better with "Kemama" last year.  Nonetheless, I expected better from him with "Omaga". 

Why did they dub so much of Rafał's singing in the track they used for the stage performance?  He was singing over himself half the time!  They were on the right track with the CGI in trying to sell a synthwave tune to the public, but he and his backups didn't deliver nearly as much, and I thought the Danes sold it better.

OY!  What can I say?  Samanta was off-key half the time, for a song with lyrics that were all over the place.  She and her backups hardly did anything on that stage that would keep the audience drawn to her.  I hate to say it, but last year's performance might have been just as much a trainwreck, had the competition taken place. ☹️

Edited by CookyMonzta
  • Like 2

Wow, CookyMonzta, thanks for that reply. I'm planning to rewatch the first two episodes on Peacock, and now I'm armed with more information.

From what I did hear yesterday, I liked the melody of the Switzerland entry, but my high-school French is of no help to me. Knowing what the title of the song is, I understand why you think it's a good candidate. I personally don't care for the head-banging, Sturm und Drang type of entries from the past two days. But I was impressed with Switzerland and Portugal.

Again, thanks for the info.

Fredag (friday)

Denmark 
DR1
21:35-23:25 cet
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

https://www.dr.dk/drtv/kanal/dr1_20875 (live web-tv)

+

Germany 

ARD
23.45 - 03:15 cet
Eurovision Song Contest 2011 in Düsseldorf

https://www.ardmediathek.de/daserste/live/Y3JpZDovL2Rhc2Vyc3RlLmRlL0xpdmVzdHJlYW0tRGFzRXJzdGU/   (live web-tv)

Pls remember  its Europe/Nordic time

• Like 1

And here is what I thought of the Big Five and the Netherlands, from the performances posted at Eurovision.tv:

9.70 France

9.55 Italy

9.40 United Kingdom

9.39 Netherlands

9.38 Spain

9.31 Germany

Do I smell this contest ending in a French-language battle with Gjon in both the jury-points roll-call and the final televote tally?  It's a possibility.  How often is it that even the CGI fits the song like a glove?  Would it be the same if it were performed on the Lisbon 2018 stage?  I'd bet Barbara's graphic designer would have cooked up something for that stage as well.  In any case, she carries this song alone extraordinarily well, that next year's competition may only have 25 in the final; and not only because of this...

...Because Måneskin is currently the top dog on the bookies' board.  Italy has never sent a trainwreck since I started watching this show in 2013, and they've been in the top five 3 straight times already, 2nd two years ago.  They're probably due for the big one, so that we may get lost in Verona.  It would be 15 years since a rock song won (Lordi from Finland, 2006).  But will Finland's current hard-rock entry (Blind Channel) cannibalize points from this band, or steal their thunder outright?

This year's song from James Newman is obviously the better song, even though I thought last year's entire presentation (song and music video) was better.  Here is a stage setup and performance that I think was better than anything they've sent in the 9 seasons since I started watching (including last year's canceled season).  I wouldn't be surprised if he finished in the top-half of the board.

I thought last year's song and video from Jeangu was worthy of a top-10 finish.  An outstanding music video for this year's song is why I still have him in my top 15.  The message is quite appropriate for this day and age, but I don't know if he is selling it enough on the stage to stay in the top 15.

Entirely new music and an a cappella opening from Blas Cantó for his stage performance.  Word has it he wrote this one for his grandmother.  It's not looking good for him right now, because too many male solo and lead vocalists are capable of selling their performances better.  One of them, Dađi, sings right before him.

What can I say for Germany?  They had a contender in Ben Dolič last year, to clean up that wreckage left behind by their hastily-created duo S!sters (no televote points in 2019), and they kicked him aside for an attempt at comic relief, in the middle of a pandemic.  Jendrik's message is an interesting one (though for some reason I think he overdoes it); and yet, there are maybe 3 other acts who are funnier without even trying to be funny.

So; does the French language rule tonight?  Does Italy get their first title in 31 years?  Will 18-year-old Destiny Chukunyere become the youngest champ since the minimum age limit of 16 was instituted in 1990, and become the first Junior Eurovision champ to win?  Will Dađi og Gagnamagniđ become the comeback kids after nearly having to withdraw because of one of their members catching the virus, the result being Iceland's first win?  Will a prog-to-psy runaway train from Go_A take it all?  Or will someone else sneak up and steal the trophy from these top contenders?

Edited by CookyMonzta
  • Like 1

THE TV-CALENDER GUIDE 2021
++++++++++
Lørdag (saturday) – eurovision song contest 2021 - the grand finale
Germany - eurovision.de
20.15 - 21:00 – 
Countdown für Rotterdam
eurovision.de,   https://www.eurovision.de/news/Alle-Livestreams-zum-ESC-Finale-in-Rotterdam-im-Ueberblick,livestreams178.html (live web-tv)
Das Erste, - https://www.ardmediathek.de/daserste/live/Y3JpZDovL2Rhc2Vyc3RlLmRlL0xpdmVzdHJlYW0tRGFzRXJzdGU/  (live web-tv)
21:00 - 00.45
Eurovision Song Contest 2021 aus Rotterdam
00.45 - 01.15 
ESC - Aftershow Party

+
Denmark – DR1 - https://www.dr.dk/drtv/kanal/dr1_20875 (live web-tv)
21:00-00:00
det europæiske melodi grand prix 2021 – finale
+
Denmark – tv2charlie
19:15-20:05
Med på noderne - Grand Prix special

All  tv2 channels  - is not free – it cost money
+
Sweden – svt1
21:00
Eurovision Song Contest 2021: final
00:00

https://www.svtplay.se/video/30974438/eurovision-song-contest-2021/eurovision-song-contest-2021-final-final  (live web.tv)
+
Norway - nrk1
21:00
Eurovision Song Contest 2021: final https://tv.nrk.no/program/MUHU25004221 (full episode)
00:30

Sadly Norway do now share web-tv live direct becours of copyright
But NRK1 will add full episode after it been show on tv

note

EBU
How to Watch - Eurovision Song Contest  - https://eurovision.tv/viewers-guide 
on this link you can see all the different countrys - live web-tv
just have to push on each country and it go to there web-tv

germany tv

ARD - https://www.ardmediathek.de/video/countdown-fuer-rotterdam-oder-esc-2021/das-erste/Y3JpZDovL2Rhc2Vyc3RlLmRlL0xpdmVzdHJlYW0tRGFzRXJzdGU/  (live web-tv)

from  20:15-21,00 cet

they show  "Countdown für Rotterdam  "

they use to be guest singer who perform a few times

and afte the finale

00:45-01:45 cet

"ESC – Aftershow"

here they is alså use to be guest singer who perform a few times

• Like 1

Just now, world_idols said:

lol her with that strange hair 🤪

03_Israel Eden Alene "Set Me Free"

i like her song last year best