Youtube Analysis of Playoffs (T17)

QueenCami

Hi Everyone! 

Instead of studying for my upcoming AP tests, like I should have been, for the last while, I've been working on doing a YouTube analysis of the T17 using a few different metrics. Note that, like always, YouTube is not a perfect (or great, really) indicator of results, but has been correct sometimes in the past.

The first metric is simple: views. However, this poses an issue, because people can watch a video several times in a row, but that same person would not be able to vote more than others. Thus, it does not yield an indicative result, although it is still an important metric. Another note is that Allegra has disproportionately high views, and this might be attributable to an AI contestant singing the same song yesterday, and the two songs yielding recommendations to each other (just a guess).

The second metric is views per like. Essentially, for every person who liked the video, how many viewed it (I get that intuitively it might make more sense the other way around, but it was easier to record this way). The issue with this metric is that it penalizes the contestants who have avid fans who watch the video many times, while only being able to like it once.

The third metric is likes:dislikes. This is probably the best metric for our purposes, because it is not affected by the problematic number of views, and instead relies on likes and dislikes, something that is akin to casting a vote, and more importantly, something people can only do once (note that there is one outlier). Let's look at the results! There are some ties in the final scoring.

Team Nick, Team Blake, Team John, Team Kelly, possible outliers/misleading results

Views:                                               Views/Like:                               Likes/Dislikes:                           Total: 

1. Allegra Miles                               1. Toneisha Harris                    1. CammWess                          1. CammWess

2. Micah Iverson                             2. Thunderstorm Artis             2. Micah Iverson                       2. Thunderstorm Artis

3. CammWess                                3. Roderick Chambers             3. Thunderstorm Artis             3. Micah Iverson

4. Zan Fiskum                                 4. CammWess                          4. Roderick Chambers             4. Allegra Miles

5. Megan Danielle                          5. Megan Danielle                    5. Allegra Miles                         4. Megan Danielle

6. Mike Jerel                                   6. Mandi Castillo                      6. Zan Fiskum                           6. Roderick Chambers

7. Thunderstorm Artis                   7. Cedrice                                 7. Joanna Serenko                    7. Zan Fiskum

8. Michael Williams                       8. Michael Williams                 8. Megan Danielle                     8. Michael Williams

9. Joanna Serenko                         9. Micah Iverson                      9. Michael Williams                  9. Toneisha Harris

10. Arei Moon                                10. Joei Fulco                           10. Toneisha Harris                  10. Joanna Serenko

11. Cedrice                                     11. Joanna Serenko                11. Mandi Castillo                     11. Mandi Castillo

12. Mandi Thomas                       12. Allegra Miles                      12. Todd Tilghman                    12. Cedrice

13. Mandi Castillo                         13. Todd Tilghman                  13. Cedrice                                 13. Mike Jerel

14. Todd Tilghman                       14. Zan Fiskum                        14. Arei Moon                             14. Todd Tilghman

15. Toneisha Harris                      15. Arei Moon                          15. Joei Fulco                             14. Arei Moon

16. Roderick Chambers               16. Mike Jerel                          16. Mike Jerel                             16. Joei Fulco

17. Joei Fulco                                17. Mandi Thomas                 17. Mandi Thomas                     17. Mandi Thomas

This leaves us with Team Nick's PV being Thunderstorm ArtisTeam Blake's PV being Toneisha Harris Todd Tilghman (because we all know minivan loves him even if YouTube doesn't), Team John's PV being CammWess, and Team Kelly's PV being Micah Iverson (note that minivan might prefer Megan, possibly giving her the boost she needs). 

Please don't drag me for the formatting lmao, it got messed up because I did everything on the same rows! Lemme know if there are any errors, and if any kind soul wants to update these later, please feel free to (I likely won't have the time because I have a lot of work to do). Thanks for looking through this everyone!!!

After reviewing it (it took me about an hour to calculate and write out, so it's been some time), the views rankings have changed considerably:

1. CammWess

2. Allegra Miles

3. Megan Danielle

4. Zan Fiskum

5. Micah Iverson

6. Mike Jerel

7. Arei Moon

8. Cedrice 

9. Thunderstorm Artis

10. Mandi Thomas

11. Joanna Serenko

12. Michael Williams

13. Mandi Castillo

14. Joei Fulco

15. Todd Tilghman

16. Toneisha Harris

17. Roderick Chambers

Interesting analysis. However keep in mind some people might just go to a contestant's video many times just to be use the comments section to be jerk to a contestant they dislike. As for that, the views might not be 100% coming from people who enjoy the the contestant. 

1 minute ago, xfactor22 said:

Interesting analysis. However keep in mind some people might just go to a contestant's video many times just to be use the comments section to be jerk to a contestant they dislike. As for that, the views might not be 100% coming from people who enjoy the the contestant. 

yup, I mentioned that at the beginning, but thanks for pointing it out!

6 minutes ago, Theleaguan said:

How do youtube view work? If I keep hitting refresh does that get +1 view everytime?

nope that doesn't work cause youtubers have done that to farm views; after a certain number of views (approximately 75), YouTube monitors which IP address the views are coming from, and so it will eliminate it if there are too many view from the same IP address

57 minutes ago, ashwinner said:

After reviewing it (it took me about an hour to calculate and write out, so it's been some time), the views rankings have changed considerably:

1. CammWess

2. Allegra Miles

3. Megan Danielle

4. Zan Fiskum

5. Micah Iverson

6. Mike Jerel

7. Arei Moon

8. Cedrice 

9. Thunderstorm Artis

10. Mandi Thomas

11. Joanna Serenko

12. Michael Williams

13. Mandi Castillo

14. Joei Fulco

15. Todd Tilghman

16. Toneisha Harris

17. Roderick Chambers

Great work Ash!  For the moment, in this straight forward side-by-side public analysis, it proves once again what a stellar coach Kelly Clarkson is.  She picked, stole, and pitted Megan Danielle vs CammWess in the KOs - and her gut told her Megan was the better artist.  Now here they are both in the top 3.  I think both are great singers and both make the finale.