Live Music

Wim

Pairings you don't see every day. 9.25.21

Coldplay – Fix You (Live with Billie Eilish and FINNEAS in New York City) | Global Citizen Live

Coldplay - "Yellow" Live Performance Feat. Camila Cabello and Shawn Mendes | Global Citizen Live

Edited by WastedinMemphis

This weekend was Shoalsfest, a festival organized by Jason Isbell and held in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, home to Isbell and the Drive-By Truckers, as well as the, well, legendary Fame Studios.

The first video features the Truckers with Isbell, the original line-up, on an Isbell-written song from that era. The second includes a redo of another Isbell-write for the Truckers performed by Isbell and his current band, the 400 Unit, and a cover of Fleetwood Mac's Oh, Well. The little girl who comes onstage for the beginning of Oh, Well is Isbell's daughter, who requested it.

Drive-By Truckers - The Day John Henry Died w/ Jason Isbell - Shoalsfest 10/3/21

Jason Isbell - Never Gonna Change and Oh, Well (Fleetwood Mac cover from Peter Green era) - Shoalsfest 10/3/21

On 10/5/2021 at 3:56 PM, QueenKalie said:

Here's a couple of live performances I recorded from a concert I went to on Saturday with Idol 14 contestant Maddie Walker.

Good videos! I don't think I've seen Maddie since AI.

The ACL Live festival took place in Austin over recent weekends with many of the same headliners posted above  in this thread -- Billie Eilish, Phoebe Bridgers, Miley Cyrus, Doja Cat, Foo Fighters, etc. The videos here are from George Strait and Black Pumas, two of the many other artists who performed. I opted for a September video of Colors from Black Pumas at Brooklyn Steel because it was better than the ACL version.  Btw, after their Grammy nom in 2020, Black Pumas were named last month as Duo/Group of the Year at the Americana awards.

Search "ACL Live 2021" if you'd like to see some of the many other videos from this year's festival.

George Strait - All My Ex's Live In Texas/2021/Austin, TX/Zilker Park/ACL Fest 10.02.21

Black Pumas - Colors - Brooklyn Steel Night 2 - 9/14/2021

On 9/30/2021 at 2:55 PM, WastedinMemphis said:

Joni Mitchell & James Taylor - Live in Concert at the Paris Theatre in 1970 - BBC Radio Broadcast Sept. 1970. 52 mins.

A throwback. In September 1970 the BBC broadcast Joni Mitchell and James Taylor live in an acoustic concert at the Paris Theater in London. Sound is quite good, though it can be tinny in the highs. It's very present.

JT had released Sweet Baby James in February 1970. Joni had released Ladies of the Canyon in April. JT was working on songs that would be part of 1971's Mudslide Slim and the Blue Horizon (Close Your Eyes here), and Joni was working on songs for 1971's Blue (Carey, California here). JT says elsewhere that Close Your Eyes was written for Joni.

They mostly trade songs, now classics. Their intro bits are brief, often clever and eccentric - JT's deadpan bit with Steamroller, Joni's PBS-serious introduction to her dulcimer and, oh btw, her new song Carey. The closing duets on Circle Game and Close Your Eyes are worth the listening time.

Btw, if you make it through, Joni's friend in Winnipeg who wrote Sugar Mountain and inspired Circle Game is Neil Young. 

James Taylor just posted to his YouTube channel a new digital remaster of the 1970 duet with Joni Mitchell on Close Your Eyes that concluded this concert.  The comments give further background to the song and concert and indicate that the entire concert will be included on Joni Mitchell Archives Vol. 2, to be released in November. Sound quality is much better.

James Taylor / Joni Mitchell - You Can Close Your Eyes (Live at Paris Theatre, 10/29/1970)

I love Phoebe Bridgers's willingness to go there, even if the results are a little odd.  Two versions of Moon Song, first from Red Rocks in the skeleton suits from her last tour, and then from Jimmy Kimmel this week.

Moon Song by Phoebe Bridgers || Live at RedRocksxUnpaused 3.5.21

Phoebe Bridgers – Moon Song - Jimmy Kimmel Live 10.13.21

The Rolling Stones - SoFI Stadium LA - 10.17.21

Quite the camera location, tho sometimes idiosyncratic focus lol.  After an off-kilter start, Wild Horses becomes quite a video.

"60 years ago today, to this very day, Keith and I met each other at this train station  . . . "

The Rolling Stones Wild Horses Oct 17 2021

The Rolling Stones You Can't Always Get What you Want Oct 17 2021

The Rolling Stones Honky Tonk Woman Oct 17 2021 (lots of Keef)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My first concert since the pandemic started - Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit. Two of my favorite Isbell songs. Not my videos

Jason Isbell, Elephant, The Tabernacle, Atlanta 12/16/21

Cover Me Up

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/5/2022 at 5:56 PM, Starry_Night said:

I'm going to the Jack Johnson concert today. 😄

The music was great but the audience in my section was annoying.

I was watching the band on stage and listening to other people talking to each other during the concert. 

The Josh Groban concert was quieter and it had less people that actually care about live music.