March 11th Live Streaming WRAL Big Night for THE ARTS

buttons66

rs=w:1536

SUPPORTING THE ARTS COMMUNITIES OF THE TRIANGLE

Join four Triangle arts councils and WRAL to celebrate the arts community and help begin a path of recovery and reentry post-pandemic. Proceeds will fund arts programming, initiatives for equity in the arts, and arts relief efforts.

THURSDAY, MARCH 11 AT 7PM

ON AIR & LIVE STREAMING

The program starts at 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 11.

You can watch on television on WRAL or watch the live stream on Facebook (search Big Night In for the Arts) or on the Big Night In website (bignightin.org). A preview party starts online at 6:30.

PERFORMANCES BY:

image152

Ariana DeBose

Tony-nominated actress/singer/dancer and Raleigh native, who will be starring as Anita in Steven Spielberg’s upcoming film West Side Story.  

Photo Credit: Robb Klassen

image153

Branford Marsalis

Three-time Grammy-award winner and internationally renowned saxophonist based in Durham, recently wrote the score for Netflix’s Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.

Photo Credit: Palma Kolansky   

image154

Mandolin Orange

Nationally acclaimed folk music duo based in Chapel Hill, featuring singer-songwriter Andrew Marlin and multi-instrumentalist Emily Frantz. 

Photo Credit: Kendall Bailey

Mike Wiley

Mike Wiley

Nationally acclaimed actor and playwright based in Chatham County shines the light on key figures in African American history through his performances. 

Photo Credit: Chris Charles for Creative Silence

Scotty McCreery

Scotty McCreery

ACM and CMT Award-winning country music singer and Garner native.

Photo credit: John Shearer

FEATURING

image155

Live Painting with Marcelle Harwell Pachnowski

Chatham County artist, Marcelle Harwell Pachnowski, who is nationally and internationally collected and exhibited, visualizes color and rhythmic patterns when she listens to music, resulting in paintings with a spontaneous mix of color, rhythm, texture, and movement. She will be creating a mixed media piece inspired by Big Night In performances, which will be utilized to help raise additional funds for the campaign. 

Edited by buttons66

NW80314_112239_ScottyMcCreery-1030x1030.

Scotty McCreery, Branford Marsalis, and more are set to perform on “Big Night In For the Arts” on Raleigh’s WRAL-TV on March 11. Money raised will go toward arts programming, initiatives for equity in the arts, and artist/arts organizations’ relief.

“I cannot imagine my life without the arts,” said McCreery. “Just like so many others, I started playing the guitar at an early age and began writing my own songs. I was in choral groups in school and performed in a musical in high school. We all benefit from the arts. They inspire us, enrich our lives, help us to connect, help us to feel, help us to dream, and help us to learn more about each other and the world. I am happy to lend my support to the arts community in my hometown and surrounding area.”

Cute little show streamed by WRAL tonight ..they raised $339,967 which is amazing for the ARTS.

Some talented artists showcased on the program as well as depicting other creative outlets ,like painting ,rug making, pottery,etc ..has to be something in that NC water for sure lots of talented folks.

Scotty sang YOU TIME and talked a little about how the Arts programs shaped his career and the importance of them .

i was enthralled with a small 'bluegrassy group called the CHATHAM RABBITS..such a cute unique name!!

I agree with everything you said, Sandy.  Amazing how so many creative types seem to flourish in that area of NC.  The artists ranged from Broadway performers, to folk/indie musicians, to classical masters, to country artists.  I love how they incorporated the painter's interpretations with the performances themselves.

And yes, the raised a lot of money.

I had forgotten Branford Marsalis' amazing father had died from COVID-19.

8432c4b3af6de8d3f7d4fcc3c8bbd189.jpg

#4 (inspired by Scotty McCreery)

BIDS 0

You are bidding on a piece #4, inspired Scotty McCreery's performance on Big Night In.  Created by Chatham County, NC artist, Marcelle Harwell Pachnowski, this mixed media -acrylics on paper with colored pencils, pastels, and conte crayons - was inspired by Scotty McCreery's performance at Big Night In for the Arts. This work is an intuitive, visceral reaction to the performance of Scotty.

• Size:  25"H x 19"W
  • Acrylic, colored pencil, pastel, conte crayon on Canson’s Mi-Teintes paper
  • Work is matted on board in plastic sleeve

MAKE A BID
8432c4b3af6de8d3f7d4fcc3c8bbd189.jpg?wid
Edited by buttons66
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Big Night In for the Arts was not just BIG, it was HUGE! 35,000 viewers tuned in to WRAL TV to celebrate the arts. With the help of 600 corporate sponsors and individual donors, #BigNightIn raised more than $350,000 for the Triangle arts community!

Whether you told a friend about the event, tuned in to watch, volunteered, or donated, THANK YOU for your part in helping arts organizations and artists find a solid path to recovery post-pandemic. We are also eternally grateful to our generous sponsors for their unwavering and unprecedented support. All our sponsors and donors are listed at www.bignightin.org

Another BIG thank you to Ariana DeBose, Mandolin Orange , Branford Marsalis, Scotty McCreery & Mike Wiley Productions for their incredible performances and especially for their support of their local arts community. We also loved working with our amazing partners, Orange County Arts Commission , Durham Arts Council Chatham Arts Council, and we look forward to our next collaboration! 
#supportlocalarts #artsrelief

• Like 2