Book Lovers Thread

miss denise

I believe there used to be a thread like this before the forum malfunction. Any other bookworms out there like me? :haha: I thought it'd be fun to share what we're currently reading, our favorite books, upcoming released we're excited for, etc. 

tumblr_inline_mjwapzgYGG1rnk2ru.gif

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, miss denise said:

Any other book lovers here? :blushingwave: 

I just started reading this one. 🎅 

9781982123949_p0_v3_s550x406.jpg

I've heard about that one because it seems to be popular this year.

I'm almost finished reading Ready Player One, it's so good but intense.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Starry_Night said:

I've heard about that one because it seems to be popular this year.

I'm almost finished reading Ready Player One, it's so good but intense.

Oh yay! I'm just five chapters in so far, but I'm loving it. 🎅  I'm a member of the Book of the Month club and it was one of my picks this month. I also went with The Wife Upstairs, which is a thriller, but I had to go with the Christmas book first, of course. :haha: 

That's great! Are you reading it after watching the movie or vice versa? I'd guess you already saw the movie since it's a few years old now (even though I haven't), but I like reading books prior to watching the movie adaption, if possible. :haha: 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished In a Holidaze and loved it. :wub: Definitely the perfect holiday romcom in a book! ❤️ 

Now I'm reading Dachshund Through the Snow.

GUEST_fb0f8025-5c8e-41ba-9a2d-6204c606aa

I picked this up on a whim solely for the cover and title (dachshunds are my absolute favorite dog breed and I'm obsessed with them). :giggle: I only just found out once starting it that it's a mystery. :dead:  I never would have thought, but am happy about that! 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I finished Dachshund Through the Snow a week ago and have to say the title and cover are HIGHLY misleading. :dead:  There was a dachshund mentioned a few times, but that was really it. It was like some book version of clickbait or something to get dog (specifically dachshund) lovers to read the book and I completely fell for the trap. :broken: :/:lmao:That being said, I really enjoyed the book for what it was!

Almost done reading This Time Next Year and I am loving it. :yes: 

1093D0E6D9CDC497E63404C74BD5F590F1494297

I feel like the lone bookworm around here. bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c29.gif I thought I'd share my favorite reads from 2020 (of books only published in 2020 as well).

The Sun Down Motel

You Are Not Alone

Beach Read

In a Holidaze

This Time Next Year

Two thrillers and three romances. That is very representative of my taste. :haha: Going to start my first book of 2021 today!

On 1/1/2021 at 3:08 PM, miss denise said:

I feel like the lone bookworm around here. bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c29.gif I thought I'd share my favorite reads from 2020 (of books only published in 2020 as well).

The Sun Down Motel

You Are Not Alone

Beach Read

In a Holidaze

This Time Next Year

Two thrillers and three romances. That is very representative of my taste. :haha: Going to start my first book of 2021 today!

Cool, I got a few books for Christmas, so I can't wait to read them soon. 

35 minutes ago, miss denise said:

Yay! I did as well. What books did you get? I'm currently reading The Return by Nicholas Sparks. ^_^  

That's good, I got Me by Elton John, The Gifts Of Imperfection - Brene Brown, Ready Player Two - Ernest Cline, Final Report - Rick Mercer and the first book in the Enola Holmes series. 🙂

Well, not only did I finish The Return, but also already read and finished Final Girls by Riley Sager in the last couple days. :haha: I'm flying through books like crazy while under quarantine. :blushingwave: Riley Seager is one of my favorite new(ish) authors though. Ironically, Final Girls is his first novel, but I read all his other ones already. They are all so good and a new one comes out this summer! 😄 

23 hours ago, Starry_Night said:

That's good, I got Me by Elton John, The Gifts Of Imperfection - Brene Brown, Ready Player Two - Ernest Cline, Final Report - Rick Mercer and the first book in the Enola Holmes series. 🙂

I'm not familiar with those, but sounds like a nice variety and hope you enjoy! :yes: I see Enola Holmes is a mystery series, so that might be something that interests me too. I didn't know it was also a movie on Netflix. 😮 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I (lol like so many others) made one of my New Year's Resolutions to get back into reading. So here's what I'm reading in 2021 (if it's on here I plan to finish it by the end of this week). I hope to keep this updated.

January

1. Unsportsmanlike Conduct: College Football and the Politics of Rape -Jessica Luther

Definitely a hard book to read because of the subject matter but a good read. The subject is unfortunately seemingly evergreen. Written in 2015, the author is one of my favorite reporters and she did extensive reporting on both the Baylor Sexual Assault cases and the Jameis Winston case in Florida State, but we see even just recently her work on the LSU cases co-reported in USA Today in November 2020 that widespread reform isn't happening. For somebody who is a big sports fan like me, especially college sports, I found this a must read.

2. Gideon the Ninth - Tamsyn Muir

A book about lesbian Necromancers in space. LOL. It has definitely both a Hunger Games vibe and a Gothic Horror vibe. And it's a book that kept me turning the page well into the evening. It's the first of the trilogy and its sequel Harrow the Ninth will definitely make my February list as I wait for the third book to come out hopefully by this fall.

3. Crazy Rich Asians - Kevin Kwan

I've had this on my bookshelf for a long time but I just haven't really delved into it despite loving the movie. If you love the movie there's certainly a richness and some background and text that definitely adds to the experience. It feels like a gossip-y novel even if I know its fictional. As somebody who loves to read celebrity news and fashion blogs this is right up my alley. In addition it's just a really fun and easy read. You can get through it pretty quickly despite its length.

4. Legendary Children: The First Decade of RuPaul's Drag Race and the Last Century of Queer Life - Tom Fitzgerald and Lorenzo Marquez

As a longtime reader of the TLo blog TomAndLorenzo.com (formerly ProjectRungay) this is the book I've been waiting for. I've always felt that Tom and Lorenzo are so appreciative and so knowledgeable about queer culture and queer history while accepting and highlighting the directions its able to go today while still raising up figureheads from the past. This book came out in early 2020 and I haven't gotten around to reading it until now but I think if you are a fan of RuPaul's Drag Race then it's a good read. Even if you aren't but you are interested in like those queer cultural staples it's a good fun read.

So far this year, I've read

The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov (a re-read, inspired by watching Fargo season 3)

Foundation - Isaac Asimov

Bad Sports: How Owners Are Ruining the Games We Love - Dave Zirin

I'm also still chipping away at The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power by Shoshana Zuboff, a book I read most of throughout 2020. It's very long but important material for anyone alive right now.

In the near future, I mostly have sci-fi and speculative fiction reads lined up. I have the rest of the Foundation series and novels by William Gibson and Ursula K Le Guin set aside for February. I'm also planning to read the second novel in Eden Robinson's trickster trilogy. I may need to re-read the first one though. 

Yay more readers! 😄 

Some other novels I completed this month.... Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, The Unraveling of Cassidy Holmes, and Station Eleven. I think I would rank how much I liked them in that order... well I might have liked the second one most while reading it, but the ending of a book always has a huge impact on my overall opinion, which leads me to possibly prefer the first one. lol

Now I'm reading The Dating Plan, which seems to be a cute and light story, and then I'll move on to The Duke & I (first in the Bridgerton series). That will complete my ~Valentine's~ inspired reading. :haha: 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 11:44 AM, miss denise said:

Oh yay! I'm just five chapters in so far, but I'm loving it. 🎅  I'm a member of the Book of the Month club and it was one of my picks this month. I also went with The Wife Upstairs, which is a thriller, but I had to go with the Christmas book first, of course. :haha: 

That's great! Are you reading it after watching the movie or vice versa? I'd guess you already saw the movie since it's a few years old now (even though I haven't), but I like reading books prior to watching the movie adaption, if possible. :haha: 

Thanks, I watched the movie before I read the book.

It has some things from the book but some stuff got changed for the movie because the book has a lot of pop culture references.

The movie is cool though, with the visuals and the soundtrack. 

On 2/2/2021 at 10:18 AM, totes4totes said:

How was this? I'm not huge on Dave Zirin but I am big on hating Owners.

It's pretty good, for something that's easy to read in a week. It was in published in 2012, so some of the cases he writes about feel sort of mundane and obvious by today's standards. Eg, owners extorting taxpayers for stadium money was kind of an emerging scandal in the  aughts, but now it's sort assumed all of them will automatically do that and get away with it no problem. It does have interesting stories... like I didn't know just how freaky a lot of the MLB owners are.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished reading The Duke & I last week and loved every second of it. :wub:  I'm trying to get my hands on the next few books of the series now... it is so difficult what with them all being out of stock, crazy expensive ($50 for one? :wacko: ), or a nearly a year on the wait list at the library. :lmao: It will sure be worth it when I finally get to continue the series. :haha:  

Anyway, currently reading The Snow Child.  This is one of my reading group's choice for February. :yes:

33597976._SY475_.jpg 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 2:47 PM, totes4totes said:

January

1. Unsportsmanlike Conduct: College Football and the Politics of Rape -Jessica Luther

2. Gideon the Ninth - Tamsyn Muir

3. Crazy Rich Asians - Kevin Kwan

4. Legendary Children: The First Decade of RuPaul's Drag Race and the Last Century of Queer Life - Tom Fitzgerald and Lorenzo Marquez

February

Didn't read as much this month. I'll blame it on it being a short month. :haha:

5. Something to Talk About - Meryl Wilsner

6. Once Upon a Princess - Harper Bliss & Clare Lydon

Two lesbian romance novels for Valentine's day. And that's about it.

On 2/15/2021 at 1:45 PM, miss denise said:

I finished reading The Duke & I last week and loved every second of it. :wub:  I'm trying to get my hands on the next few books of the series now... it is so difficult what with them all being out of stock, crazy expensive ($50 for one? :wacko: ), or a nearly a year on the wait list at the library. :lmao: It will sure be worth it when I finally get to continue the series. :haha: 

Do you read eBooks like on Kindle or Nook? I find it not too hard to get virtual library books for more popular books, but I'm guessing all those may be just as wanted virtually as physically.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 6:51 PM, totes4totes said:

Do you read eBooks like on Kindle or Nook? I find it not too hard to get virtual library books for more popular books, but I'm guessing all those may be just as wanted virtually as physically.

I don't. :(  Although I noticed last night when I searching for a book in my library's online catalog that the electronic version had an even longer wait list than the physical copy! I don't get how that works. :lmao::? 

• 7 months later...