Tennis Thread

Kert

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ons Jabeur just lost to Mirra Andreeva, 6-0, 6-2. What. the. :censored:. Did I just watch. 😐  That was just an embarrassing performance by Ons tonight... :wacko:

I know that Andreeva is supposed to be good but if Ons couldn't get a convincing win against her, I was expecting at the very least a close match between the two...

News.com.au - ‘They’re useless’: Frustrated tennis fans take aim at Australian Open schedule

LMAO; instead of just sitting around at Laver, those fans could have just watched Doubles, Juniors, and Wheelchairs on the outer courts to pass the time. IIRC, the Wheelchair match between Angelica Bernal and Dana Mathewson was the last match on the outer courts, and that ended at ~8:20pm local time.

On 9/11/2021 at 2:19 AM, ShortstopVM said:

I'm SO GLAD that Novak won tonightphew.gif Medvedev (NY villain) vs. Zverev (#WeStandWithOlya) would've been an unwatchable Final for me 🤮🤮🤮

Oof; a Medvedev vs. Zverev match (at a Slam) is now a reality... 😔 Thankfully, it's only a Semifinal... phew.gif I can actually get some sleep tonight lol

Also, Congratulations to Su-Wei Hsieh, who just won the Mixed Doubles title! :clap: With this being her last tournament before retiring, she will "go out on top"... And she could pick up a Women's Doubles title on her way out. :omg: 

EDIT: Apparently, her "retirement" after this AO only applies to Singles; she will still play Doubles

Edited by ShortstopVM

On 1/29/2022 at 7:12 AM, ShortstopVM said:

Laver still filled for Men's Doubles - which feature the team of Nick Kyrgios and Thanasi Kokkinakis 😎

No way would Ashe would be packed for any kind of doubles 🙄

Well, Ashe would end up being filled for a Coco/Pegula doubles match on Labor Day in 2023... :yes: 

On 1/29/2022 at 1:54 AM, ShortstopVM said:

That Boys' Singles Championship just now, was probably the best Juniors match that I've ever watched. :omg:  Bruno Kuzuhara may have won the Title (and I'm glad he did), but Jakub Mensik played with the heart of a Champion, playing until his body literally gave out. I feared that Mensik would've beaten Kuzuhara if the third set had gone to a breaker (Mensik had rallied to take the second set tiebreak); he was building momentum after earning a point on a thirty-three shot rally down 5-6 in the third. 😩

Congratulations to both Bruno AND Jakub; they will end up being future stars and fixtures on the senior-level circuit in the distant future. :yes: 

Jakub Mensik has done well for himself since this match. :yes: He qualified for the 2023 US Open and made it to the third round. He also went through the Qualifying bracket for this AO, defeating Brandon Nakashima along the way; he would go on to defeat Denis "You guys are all corrupt" Shapovalov in the Main Draw. :stud: 

• 1 month later...