Why Wé Lost

CarmenSandiego

This is the most disappointing analysis I ever wanted to write.  I really wanted Wé to make it to the finale, but she didn't, falling just short of the finale.  But why did it happen?  There are reasons why she lost, and my advice to the American Idol Season 21 contestants on the rules they should follow will explain what Wé did right, what she did wrong and why Wé lost.

Show Singing and Performing Talent

Not only did Wé have enough singing and performing talent to make it to the Top 26, once she got there, she clearly showed that talent!  IDF put her at or near the top of every round that she competed in, and the same was true of her final performances.  Her song "Into the Unknown" was rated second overall, behind only Megan Danielle's "You Can't Stop the Girl", while her performance of "The Climb" was fourth, with YCSTG, ITU and Megan's "Carried Me With You" coming in ahead of her.  When I re-listened to both songs, I gave ITU a 9.5, while giving "The Climb" a 9.

But there were some more critical voices.  Crisis said of ITU that he felt there was something missing, although he praised her using a more rock arrangement, and that "The Climb" fell apart after the drums kicked in.  And the TooFab staff actually put her in last both rounds!  Thus while Wé had plenty of singing and performing talent, her last two performances might not have shown it as much as she could have done, especially since Colin was a country singer whom middle-aged American housewives preferred.

Song Choice Is Key

This was one of Wé's biggest problems after she chose to sing "I Have Nothing".  Crisis actually used a pic of Sylvester beating his head against a telephone pole to indicate what a problematic song choice that was and while she still nailed it, this might have set a pattern for somewhat questionable song choices, mainly with "The Climb".  But she did do a cool arrangement of ITU which compensated for the fact that it might have seemed a predictable song choice to some, such as Crisis.  And before IHN, she did quite well with her song choices.  So overall, Wé began well with this rule but stumbled at the end.

Be Consistently Outstanding or Better Yet, Consistently Improve Every Week

Wé did quite well with this rule at first, as she was consistently outstanding.  However, the problem is that she began so well that she couldn't afford to plateau, especially near the finale.  And it seems that she did so, especially in her final two weeks.  Thus Wé ultimately screwed up this rule as well. 

Have the Confidence to Believe That You Belong

Wé had no problems with this rule.  She had the confidence to take on some tough songs and nail them, so I'll move on.

Know Who You Are As an Artist

I think that Wé was solid with this rule, as she presented herself as a pop-rock singer.  And unlike Kaeyra, she managed to avoid being too versatile in her song choices.  Still, she didn't have as specific an artistic style as Colin, Megan or even Iam, and that might have hurt her near the end.  Still, Wé mostly succeeded with this rule, so I'll move on.

Remember, You Are a Package

Wé had some definite problems with this rule.  First of all, she didn't have a sympathetic backstory like Iam or Megan did.  Then she compounded it by dressing for two weeks as a conventionally beautiful woman which might have prevented middle-aged American housewives from relating to her.  And third, in her final three weeks she allowed herself to be packaged as a pop vocal powerhouse, and overall, American voters prefer the cute guy to the powerful female singer.  So Wé fouled up with this rule at the end of her run.

Take Any Advice Offered to You and Follow It

Wé had no problems with this rule, as far as I could see, although Crisis didn't think that she took Alanis Morissette's advice for her solo performance as well as I thought she did.  Still, this wasn't a major problem for her, so I'll move on.

Gather a Fan Base -- and Sustain It

Wé began well with this rule as well.  She had a fan base from her time on The Voice and she was able to gain new fans, including me.  Unfortunately, Iam had a massive following, Colin was the country singer and Megan was gaining fans as well due to also being consistent and moreover, improving .  The AI voting demographic doesn't favor singers like Wé and she couldn't gather fans fast enough, especially with "The Climb".

Wé began so well.  She showed lots of vocal and performing talent, was confident and was consistently great or at least very good.  But the AI voting demographic tended to vote for the country guy or the girl next door, not the pop powerhouse female.  And then she chose to sing IHN.  While she still nailed it, that stalled her momentum and caused her to plateau while Megan was improving and middle-class American housewives and country fans preferred Colin despite his mediocrity.  In the end, questionable song choices, her plateauing and the AI voting demographic just shut her out.  And that is why Wé tragically lost.  😢

50 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Then she compounded it by dressing for two weeks as a conventionally beautiful woman which might have prevented middle-aged American housewives from relating to her.

There’s no “proper” way for a women to dress. People should be themselves not be forced to dress a certain way because of archaic misogynistic and racist standards. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, xfactor22 said:

There’s no “proper” way for a women to dress. People should be themselves not be forced to dress a certain way because of archaic misogynistic and racist standards. 

True, but not everyone would agree.  I also don’t think that it was a major factor but it might have contributed to her defeat.  The main reason is that the AI voting demographic can’t relate to the talented female singer, especially if she’s a vocal powerhouse.  Sad but true.

Edited by CarmenSandiego
  • Sad 2