The Buzz with CCX - Season 21 Episode 12

ScarletDevilCCX

Cold Snap again, this time with pizza because dinner's late tonight. The sun has returned, or maybe this really is a different day since it's a different mentor? Noah Cyrus is the celebrity mentor tonight. The numbers for tonight's contestants are 14-26. Elijah McCormick leads it off, singing "Good Vibes" by Chris Janson, whoever that is. He says that he used to command the stage a lot better before the accident. It's very dull. 44. Paige Anne apparently was initially cut, but was invited back. She's singing Miley Cyrus's "Wrecking Ball". I don't think she quite has enough power in her voice for the song, but she still does decently enough. 62.

Marybeth Byrd is up third and she's got her idol right in front of her. She's singing Lainey Wilson's "Heart Like a Truck". She'll fulfill the "blonde female country singer" requirement quite nicely; we haven't had a season in the ABC era without one yet. Or have we? Honestly Season 19's kind of a blur to me outside the top four. We must have, right? 76.

Another Miley Cyrus song, this time from Wé Ani. Oh, it's Miley's Stevie Nicks cover/collab, "Edge of Midnight (Midnight Sky Remix)"! Promising start. And wow, that is quite the interesting fashion sense. And while I think I gave out a 90+ rating last night, this was our first true showstopper. 94! Lionel says that stage presence can't be taught and she has a star quality. Katy, as always, is in a completely different world--this time I think she became a JRPG heroine. I dunno, Katy's just like that. Michael Williams is also here for some reason; his face bothers me, it screams smugness which is odd because IIRC he's a missionary. He's singing "Tuesdays" by Jake Scott, dedicated to his parents who are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary on the Aulani trip. Well, as much as I dislike him, I can't really find much bad to say about his performance. It wasn't a stunner, but it was quite solid. I give it a 74.

Dawson Wayne is from San Antonio, TX, so naturally he's covering a Billie Eilish song. Oh, wait, maybe this guy isn't who I was thinking about when I heard the name? This quy's not country. He's singing "COPYCAT", because apparently Billie found her Caps Lock key. Well, it's pretty good,  though I think I'd have liked it a lot more two decades ago when I was an emo teen. 82.

Hannah Nicolaisen is up seventh, newly engaged, and she's singing Pink's "Glitter in the Air". ...Wait, it's over already? I completely zoned out. 50 I guess since it's utterly forgettable. Megan Danielle is celebrating her birthday at Aulani. She's singing "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac. It's good. 72.

Malik Heard is up ninth, singing Paramore's "Ain't It Fun". It's pretty good! 84. He's a bit too overdramatic though.

Olivia Soli is up next, singing "Emotions" by Mariah Carey. I dunno I'm completely checked out apparently. 64. Then Noah sings.

Colin Stough is up eleventh, doing the Steeldrivers' "Midnight Train to Memphis". 87! A good performance. Katy is giving out a recipe for chicken.

Tyson Venegas is up twelfth, doing "There Will Be Rain" by Bruno Mars. They put the best performances in the back end of the show again! 97.

Rounding out the night with Grace Potter's "Paris (Ooh La La)" is Nutsa. Last time she showed up, I said she was probably one of the weaker singers remaining. She, uh, found her groove. 100.