The Buzz with CCX - Season 19 Episode 12

ScarletDevilCCX

Jameson tonight--not wasting any time, since if the spoilers I saw were correct, I'll need it. First to be declared safe is Alyssa Wray, which based on last week's performances is encouraging--she's a PoC and one that "stands out", visually, so she doesn't seem like what middle America wants even if she is from Kentucky. Based on tonight's rendition of Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly With His Song", on the other hand? Maybe not so much. I'd give it a 27; that was pretty bad. Second to get into the Top 16 from the Sunday night show is Graham DeFranco, who's performing "That's Life" by Frank Sinatra. Uh...not exactly the song choice to dispel my lone complaint about you last week, Graham! But "too old-fashioned" is not a complaint I have about him this week as he's made it his own and brought it into the 21st century. Bravo, Graham! The performance itself was just passable, maybe a 54, but even though from a singing standpoint it was a step back from last week, the fact that he took an old song and made it new is a step forward from last week, where I'm still not even sure if he was singing old songs but they sounded old.

Grace Kintsler Kinstler (damnit, not again) is the third to be revealed in the Top 16. No surprise there. Don't approve of the wardrobe choice; I know you know how to dress for your body type because I've seen you do it before. The performance of Sia's "Elastic Heart", on the other hand, has no flaws. 88 seems right. The judges love her and how she took the advice Joss Stone gave her to heart.

Alanis Sophia is our fourth advancer. I didn't vote for her last week, but I hope she can come back and put up a good performance. She's doing "The Story" by Brandi Carlisle and...nope, gonna have to cut bait. So sad that a contestant I literally started the fan thread for has fallen out of favor with me...wait, what's this? THERE WE GO! Still needs some work, but there's at least something to work with. 47. Willie Spence is also in the Top 16, and he's Setting Fire to the Rain. Well, that's an interesting song choice...I like it. I'm sensing a moment coming... nope, faked me out. He didn't go for the big note...wait, there it is! Way to justify your "favorite" status! 90. Lionel has no shortage of superlatives, saying God took control of him and comparing him to Marvin Gaye and Luther Vandross.wheelhouse

DeShawn Goncalves! Unlike the others, Deshawn's advancement wasn't considered a lock. Unfortunately, he's sending his Repeat Factor through the roof with Nina Simone's "Feeling Good". It's very...sedate, and the glasses and bowtie make him look like a professor. He gets up from the piano at the end and there's the theatrics, those are some incredible notes and instantly jack it up by more than ten points. 64. He's joined in the Top 16 by Wyatt Pike, which is...a choice? I'm not sure I like this choice. He's doing "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon, and...it's better than Eddie Island did? It actually started out seeming like it might be a good performance, but that quickly went away. 30; it was at least better than Alyssa's performance, but this was not good.

Cassandra Coleman is the last of the first night's group to make the Top 16. Not horrible, not great. Alana and Andrea getting cut is criminal, though the former is expected, but Cassandra's not the one I have a problem with...actually, TBH, I'd rather take 9 from Group A and 7 from Group B, maybe even 10 and 6. She's doing Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" and it's pretty amazing; I'd give it an 85.

Caleb Kennedy is the first from Group B to advance and already we have a problem. He's not one of the 6 or 7...or 8, or even 10. He's doing Chris Stapleton's "Midnight Train to Memphis", and he's...better than last week, but that's not saying much. 34. And it just keeps getting worse! Colin Jamieson is our second one in, and he might be the worst pure vocalist of the Top 24. He's still a top-notch performer but his voice is still lacking. Way too airy. He's doing "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears. Actually, it gets better. 41. "Emo is short for emotional", Katy says. Luke says "Early on you were really breathy and we talked you out of it"...what are you listening to, Luke, that was the breathiest performance ever! Ryan's helping the judges hype him up...oh Lord.

Casey Bishop is the third to be announced from this group, instantly making the results infinitely better. She's doing Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun". They showed the judges calling her a potential winner during her audition. I am in favor of this notion. Everything about her is amazing, from her look to her pipes. 94. Luke says "why you chose rock, I'll never know, but it's your thing". Lionel compares her to Janis Joplin--my mother compared her to Stevie Nicks during the performance--and Katy says it was the best performance she's heard from Casey.

Madison Watkins is the fourth one through. She's doing "Gravity" by Sara Bareilles. It starts out like a ballad, which seems to be in her wheelhouse, but it's Sara Bareilles so I'm not expecting it to stay that way. But it only gets better! She's getting emotional. I think that makes it even stronger. 95. Way to bring it back, Madison!

Beane is up next, and he's gotten rid of the "Mr. Rogers" aesthetic. Now if only he could come up with a consistent identity. Still, he's good in a lot of different genres, so sure, keep going. 87. Katy still can't help but mention "Mr. Rogers", even as she's saying that it's a new side. Ryan decides that his fans should be called "Beanie Babies". :haha:

Disappointingly, but unsurprisingly, Hunter Metts is also in the Top 16. He's doing Bon Iver's "Skinny Love", which is already a minus. This performance...isn't even that bad. I'd give it an 80, though I still hate him. Ava August is our next one through...not bad, she is one of the six I wanted from this group...but she's #6, and three of the top five are still waiting on the couch for one more spot! She's doing "2002" by Anne-Marie. A great year in music, not that she'd know that since she was born in 2005. It's a good strong performance, 81 I'd say. And we're going to find out our last contestant already? ...Nope, Ryan with the fake-out. That'd be a bit better if there hadn't already been two contestants since the last commercial.

To no one's surprise, Chayce Beckham is the last one through. Well, at least one of the ones I wanted got that last spot, and probably the strongest of the three last week. He's doing a Bob Marley and the Wailers song. Oh, come on, Chayce, don't make me regret throwing my support behind you. 55.

• ScarletDevilCCX changed the title to The Buzz with CCX - Season 19 Episode 12