Wildest's Idol winners rankdown/analysis

9 hours ago, wildestinvegas said:

Candice Glover - Season 12

Best Performance: Lovesong

Round: Final 6 

Theme: Wish You Wrote

From a pure technical standpoint Candice Glover is the best singer that ever step foot on American Idol and that’s a fact. I won’t hear otherwise. She has a piercing tone, fantastic pitch, amazing range and is able to execute the most clean and intricate runs that I’ve ever seem (I absolutely love the jazzy edge she would add to them). That alone gives her the edge over so many winners just based on natural talent alone but Candice was much more than just a fantastic vocalist. This girl had musicality for days. 90% of the runs and changes she made to vocal lines and arragements were not showy or gimmicky but instead complemented the melodies and lyrics of the songs she was performing by adding new layers to it and packing an extra punch to them. Good examples for that would be “ACCEPT FOR WHAT I AM-AMMMM” in “Don’t Make Me Over” and the other wordly “However long I STAAYYYYYY-YYYYY-YYY” in “Lovesong”, arguably the best performance of American Idol history. Her instincts were based on great knowledge of instrumentation and vocal technique. It’s almost hard to be too critical of her run because I don't think she ever truly delivered a bad performance. I think the few occasions where she didn’t raise above the line were either instances where she overcooked the song with way too many runs such as “Find Your Love” or just picked songchoices that didn’t allow her to add anything new to the song such as “Natural Woman” and “Chasing Pavements”. You can probably count on one hand how many notes she missed during her performances and most of them would be during "One". A top tier Idol contestant. 

Performances ranking:
1. Lovesong (A+)
2. You've Changed (A+)
3. I (Who Have Nothing) - Reprise (A+)
4. Don't Make Me Over (A+)
5. I (Who Have Nothing) (A+)
6. Ordinary People (A)
7. I'm Going Down (A)
8. Somewhere (A)
9. Stay - With Angie Miller (A)
10. When I Was Your Man (A)
11. Straight Up (A-)
12. Come Together (A-)
13. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me - With Angie Miller and Amber Holcomb (A-)
14. I Am Beautiful (A-)
15. When You Believe (A-)
16. Emotion (A-)
17. Next To Me (B+)
18. Natural Woman (B+)
19. Heard It Through The Grapevine (B+)
20. I Can't Get No Satisfaction (B)
21. Chasing Pavements (B)

22. The Letter - With Burnell Taylor (B)
23. Find Your Love (B-)
24. One (B-)

Winners ranking:

1. Candice Glover (Season 12)

2. Fantasia Barrino (Season 3)

3. David Cook (Season 7)

4. Kelly Clarkson (Season 1)

5. Kris Allen (Season 8 )

6. Ruben Studdard (Season 2)

7. Jordin Sparks (Season 6)

8. Carrie Underwood (Season 4)

9. Scott McCreery (Season 10)

10. Phillip Phillips (Season 11)

11. Taylor Hicks (Season 5)

12. Lee DeWyze (Season 9)

Funny enough despite all this praise that I threw her way, Candice is not my favorite winner when it comes to personal taste (she would definitely rank Top 5 but Fantasia, Kelly and others would be above her) but when we look at the quality and consistency she displayed throughout her time on American Idol, which is the goal of this thread, I felt like first place made tons of sense. The girl was a beast. 

bumping it to this page!

I don't have much to add except I agree with almost everything said about Candice. She had one of the best runs of any Idol winner, and even her weakest performances weren't that bad.

Unfortunately, her win is discredited at times because of the pushing for a female winner after five consecutive WGWG winners. Regardless, that doesn't detract from her unworldly vocal talent and resume of strong performances.

• Like 3

Personally I think Melinda Doolittle is the best vocalist on Idol, but Candice is definitely near the top. 😛 I really enjoyed what we had seen of her in S11, so I was glad when the spoilers for S12 came out and she had returned. She’s not my favourite of the season, but there’s no denying she absolutely destroyed the rest of the cast on a weekly basis. Lovesong and the reprise of I Who Have Nothing are GOAT-tier Idol performances, imo. It’s a shame her post-Idol career went nowhere.

• Like 1

Candice went back to school a few years ago and now works as her alma mater's music coordinator while doing gigs on the side. 🙂 She might not have ever lit up the charts, but she seems happy and is still working with music in a way that gives back to her local community. I think that's really awesome!

She's my favorite winner and "Lovesong" is the best performance in American Idol history, as WhatNotToSing proves. ❤️

• Like 6

On 6/12/2024 at 1:48 PM, MalwareDie said:

Candice was cut that season 'cause the producers intended for Phillip to win from the beginning. Candice was saved to be the winner of the next season.

If Jimmy Iovine had his way, Johnny Keyser would have won that season since he was the most commercial of the contestants that made it to the Top 40 and even had the most post-show success.

Nigel was ordered by Fox to give them a girl winner, so Johnny was obviously going to get cut before the voting rounds, which indeed happened, and that probably soured Jimmy Iovine on American Idol.

Well I do know somebody here's got Johnny in their signature, so shout out to that person. 😉

While I've gone back and seen the first 3 seasons on Fox, 13 was the first full season I remember watching (It's okay, I loved Jena and Alex.) But even still, I've checked S12 back for reference and Candice is an undisputed legend in my eyes. I can also call Lovesong my favorite performance on the show. Heck, even her gritty take on This Girl Is On Fire is underrated. I have the feeling she'll always remain in my Top 5 favs no matter what.

Funny how, despite her mostly humble success since then, she's still so agreeable on here.

• Like 1

Sigh.

Caleb is next right?

Oy.

I went through the toughest year of my life in 2014 mental health wise.

So you can bet I was happy when my "fave at the time" won for once.

Still the only FOX Idol I actually phone voted for besides 3rd placer Haley Reinhart and Phillip Phillips I think... lol

Posted (edited)

Caleb Johnson - Season 13

Best Performance: Maybe I'm Amazed

Round: Final 4 

Theme: Breakups and Makeups

I have weird feelings about Caleb. Vocally speaking, he’s probably one of the most impressive vocalists among the male winners of the show. The dude had really good control over his high register and range for days and he was on, he was really on. But I don’t think he necessarily gave me the consistency that I would like to see from him. I felt like after some time his performances started to sound predictable not only in how he would vocally arrange them but also in delivery, with some of the later rocker moments of his run coming across as too try-hard. I feel like he’s definitely a case of a winner that peaked too early and lost momentum during the latter half of the live shows. He first started off the voting rounds displaying a lot of vocal impressive showcases such as "Dazed and Confused" and interesting creative decisions (such as flipping Adele and Carrie songs into rock tunes per example) but during the 2nd half of his run, he mainly stuck to traditional rock songs and in a lot of them, he didn’t really bring anything new to it coming across as a tributes rock band vocalist. It doesn’t help that this uninspiring portion of his run with the exception of a few performances (such as "Maybe I'm Amazed, my favorite of his) were directly alligned with some of his worst vocals all season where he struggled with pitch on his lower register and came across as shouting in a lot of his big moments… and yes I know that he was fighting bronquitis and a vocal chords hemorrhage during the Top 3 week and Finale week and I felt really bad for him but he was already showing signs of vocal fatigue in the weeks prior to that (and him pushing his vocals really hard during those rounds was probably what lead to those healthy issues). Overall he's a winner that I can respect and understand its appeal with the people that supported him but I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed about his win, Jena was so much more interesting and exciting. 

Performances ranking:

1. Maybe I'm Amazed (A)
2. Still Of The Night (A)
3. Dazed And Confused (A)
4. Undo It (A)
5. Skyfall (A-)
6. Sting Me (A-)
7. Gimme Shelter - With Jena Irene (A-)
8. Pressure and Time (A-)

9. Dream On (A-)
10. Beast Of Burden - With Jessica Meuse (B+)
11. It's Only Love - With Jena Irene (B+)
12. Family Tree (B+)
13. Stop Dragging My Heart Around - With Jessica Meuse (B+)
14. Faithfully (B+)
15. Chain Of Fools (B+)

16. Maybe I'm Amazed - Reprise (B+)

17. Travellin' Band (B)
18. Working Man (B)
19. The Edge Of Glory (B)

20. Dazed and Confused - Reprise (B)
21. Stay With Me (B)

22. Never Tear Us Apart (C+)

23. As Long As You Love Me (C)
24. You Give Love A Bad Name (C+)
25. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing (C-)

26. Demons (D)

Winners ranking:

3. David Cook (Season 7)

9. Caleb Johnson (Season 13)

10. Scott McCreery (Season 10)

11. Phillip Phillips (Season 11)

12. Taylor Hicks (Season 5)

13. Lee DeWyze (Season 9)

Edited by wildestinvegas
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, wildestinvegas said:

Caleb Johnson - Season 13

Best Performance: Maybe I'm Amazed

Round: Final 4 

Theme: Breakups and Makeups

I have weird feelings about Caleb. Vocally speaking, he’s probably one of the most impressive vocalists among the male winners of the show. The dude had really good control over his high register and range for days and he was on, he was really on. But I don’t think he necessarily gave me the consistency that I would like to see from him. I felt like after some time his performances started to sound predictable not only in how he would vocally arrange them but also in delivery, with some of the later rocker moments of his run coming across as too try-hard. I feel like he’s definitely a case of a winner that peaked too early and lost momentum during the latter half of the live shows. He first started off the voting rounds displaying a lot of vocal impressive showcases such as "Dazed and Confused" and interesting creative decisions (such as flipping Adele and Carrie songs into rock tunes per example) but during the 2nd half of his run, he mainly stuck to traditional rock songs and in a lot of them, he didn’t really bring anything new to it coming across as a tributes rock band vocalist. It doesn’t help that this uninspiring portion of his run with the exception of a few performances (such as "Maybe I'm Amazed, my favorite of his) were directly alligned with some of his worst vocals all season where he struggled with pitch on his lower register and came across as shouting in a lot of his big moments… and yes I know that he was fighting bronquitis and a vocal chords hemorrhage during the Top 3 week and Finale week and I felt really bad for him but he was already showing signs of vocal fatigue in the weeks prior to that (and him pushing his vocals really hard during those rounds was probably what lead to those healthy issues). Overall he's a winner that I can respect and understand its appeal with the people that supported him but I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed about his win, Jena was so much more interesting and exciting. 

Performances ranking:

1. Maybe I'm Amazed (A)
2. Still Of The Night (A)
3. Dazed And Confused (A)
4. Undo It (A)
5. Skyfall (A-)
6. Sting Me (A-)
7. Gimme Shelter - With Jena Irene (A-)
8. Pressure and Time (A-)

9. Dream On (A-)
10. Beast Of Burden - With Jessica Meuse (B+)
11. It's Only Love - With Jena Irene (B+)
12. Family Tree (B+)
13. Stop Dragging My Heart Around - With Jessica Meuse (B+)
14. Faithfully (B+)
15. Chain Of Fools (B+)

16. Maybe I'm Amazed - Reprise (B+)

17. Travellin' Band (B)
18. Working Man (B)
19. The Edge Of Glory (B)

20. Dazed and Confused - Reprise (B)
21. Stay With Me (B)

22. Never Tear Us Apart (C+)

23. As Long As You Love Me (C)
24. You Give Love A Bad Name (C+)
25. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing (C-)

26. Demons (D)

Winners ranking:

3. David Cook (Season 7)

10. Scott McCreery (Season 10)

11. Phillip Phillips (Season 11)

12. Taylor Hicks (Season 5)

13. Lee DeWyze (Season 9)

My personal favorite of Caleb’s songs is “Skyfall.”

• Thanks 1

I'm probably one of the only people here who liked Caleb. His highs were as great as anyone else's and while he had his lows, which were mostly due to his vocal issues later in his run, they weren't as bad as most of the other contestants that season. He was arguably the most dynamic contestant and knew how to put on a show. I agree with liking how he took songs such as "Skyfall" and "Undo It" and flipped them, although it can be argued that "Undo It" already had rock influences imbued in it. The last thing I'll mention is that it was interesting he was the second consecutive winner who auditioned in previous seasons.

Based on his run, I have him in the upper half of Idol winners.

• Like 1

Again it's been a while since I watched but my favorite from Caleb was definitely Dazed and Confused, I also liked Edge of Glory. As I can remember I preferred the rest of the top 4 (I really liked Jessica back then for some reason, have to rewatch her performances). Caleb was still a decent winner though.

• Like 1

Caleb has a few performances I revisit and objectively was one of the better contestants from S13. But between him calling his fans the R word and some of the stuff he said about previous alumni, it’s hard to really care for him. Plus I always thought he was destined to be the singer of a Meat Loaf tribute act, so naturally that’s what he’s doing nowadays. :haha:

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Caleb has a few performances I revisit and objectively was one of the better contestants from S13. But between him calling his fans the R word and some of the stuff he said about previous alumni, it’s hard to really care for him. Plus I always thought he was destined to be the singer of a Meat Loaf tribute act, so naturally that’s what he’s doing nowadays. :haha:

He's performed with the Tran Siberian Orchestra too. During Christmas. 🙂 

On 6/23/2024 at 11:04 PM, wildestinvegas said:

sorry for the lack of updates on this. irl has been a whirlwind for the past week or so. i’m gonna try to get nick’s and trent’s write ups out of the way during this upcoming week tho!

Take your time no rush! :hug:

On 6/23/2024 at 10:04 PM, wildestinvegas said:

sorry for the lack of updates on this. irl has been a whirlwind for the past week or so. i’m gonna try to get nick’s and trent’s write ups out of the way during this upcoming week tho!

Careful, IDF might crash again if you write about Nick.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Fradiani - Season 14

Best Performance: Only The Good Die Young

Round: Final 7 

Theme: American Classics

Nick is a decent winner who displayed good consistency inside his lane. But I also think he struggled with having moments and raising it above “competent” and “good” during the majority of his run. He doesn’t have any particular performances or a breakout moment that I would consider a must-see for Season 14 and I think that forgettable-feeling that I have attached to his time on the show hurts my perception of him overall. That isn’t to say that he’s bad. I think he earned his win (def the right choice out of him and Clark) and was a contestant who not only looked extremely comfortable and experienced on the stage but could also carry a tune vocally (he did struggle with breathing support and that would annoy me sometimes when he would fail to display stamina through his performances tho). But yeah, I don’t have a lot to say about him. I think his best performances were "Beautiful Life" and “Only The Good Die Young”, which turned out to be a stunning version of the song, and his worst one was definitely “Catching My Breath”, the song was too big for him and he struggled with pitch during the entirety of it. Overall he’s a winner that I can understand and even appreciate but that failed to truly excite me in any fashion.

Performances ranking:

1. Beautiful Life (A)
2. Only The Good Die Young (A)
3. Thinking Out Loud (A-)
4. Maggie May (A-)
5. What Hurts The Most (B+)
6. Back Home (B+)
7. Signed, Sealed, Delivered (B+)
8. Man In The Mirror (B+)
9. American Girl (B+)
10. Wake Me Up (B+)
11. Bright Lights (B+)
12. Bright Lights - Reprise (B+)
13. Danger Zone (B)
14. In Your Eyes (B)
15. I'll Be (B-)
16. I Won't Give Up (C+)
17. Harder To Breathe (C+)
18. Teenage Dream (C)
19. Because The Night (C)
20. Catch My Breath (C-)

Winners ranking:

3. David Cook (Season 7)

10. Nick Fradiani (Season 14)

11. Scott McCreery (Season 10)

12. Phillip Phillips (Season 11)

13. Taylor Hicks (Season 5)

14. Lee DeWyze (Season 9)

Finally :rofl:

Edited by wildestinvegas
  • Like 2

I would probably put Phillip above Nick, despite Phillip's worse performances probably being worse, I think his moments were much more memorable while I don't think Nick had that much of a stand out. My favorites were Bright Lights and Back Home, the songs themselves are a little bland but I think he performed it with the passion and stage presence to make it good and his vocals were strong (which he was generally pretty consistent at).

I found Clark's voice and soulfulness to be more interesting tbh, I just wish his overall performances were better.

• Like 1