Wildest's Idol winners rankdown/analysis

34 minutes ago, MalwareDie said:

It was not close. Kris was told by the producers that he won by a large margin, which was foreshadowed when Ryan indicated fewer than a million votes separated Adam and Kris for the night of the Top 3

this is my first time hearing that. do you have the source/link for it? cause i do think it was close. dialidol had less 1.1% separating both of them (and their system tracked the phone lines signals so it would usually turn out to be verya accurate) so unless kris beat adam by a huge margin thru texts, i don't see how he won by a big lead. 

:kickawesome:  :sidemouth:

Season 8 final 3 should've been...

Kradison! Duh.

Lol

If season 6 got me started, season 7 got me going to concerts, season 8 made me nuts for post-Idol music. Haha

Between Michael Jackson's death and AI8 my music listening 🎧 🎶 was off the walls fun. 

And...

Adam and Kris are both in new album eras. Kris won 15 years ago.

They both have new original music singles out this Friday. 

Kris' song is called Too Good For Too Long. Album is named "Pole Vaulter."

Adam's is part of an EP called Afters.

Umm... The two singles he's releasing are called Lube, and Wet Dream. So happy Pride everyone. 😤 😅

Also. Off topic sorry but the new Kris song contains the F word. A first for him to feature an explicit label most likely. 👌

Now if only Allison Iraheta wasn't MIA online right now. 😒 😞 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, wildestinvegas said:

this is my first time hearing that. do you have the source/link for it? cause i do think it was close. dialidol had less 1.1% separating both of them (and their system tracked the phone lines signals so it would usually turn out to be verya accurate) so unless kris beat adam by a huge margin thru texts, i don't see how he won by a big lead. 

I don't know whether the source article still exists as it was from 2009 and many articles from then have been lost.

I can tell you that Ryan saying fewer than a million votes separated Adam and Kris was literally in the Top 3 results show if you want to confirm that bit.

DialIdol didn't take into account text votes, which Carrie destroyed Bo in for example, and this was likely the case for Kris and Adam as well.

Edited by MalwareDie
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, MalwareDie said:

I can tell you that Ryan saying fewer than a million votes separated Adam and Kris was literally in the Top 3 results show if you want to confirm that bit.

exactly, which is why i find it even harder to believe that would be a giant lead between them when they were separated by 1 million votes 7 days before. but who knows. 

3 minutes ago, wildestinvegas said:

exactly, which is why i find it even harder to believe that would be a giant lead between them when they were separated by 1 million votes 7 days before. but who knows. 

It's actually quite easy to see. Most people who liked and voted for Danny were devout Christians. Adam being gay and wearing guyliner and nail polish made him appear to be the devil to those voters, and if nearly all of Danny's votes transferred to Kris, it'd be a blowout victory.

Kris is underrated, I know Adam is the better vocalist but Kris was well deserving too, Heartless is an all timer and Ain’t No Sunshine was so good too. I still remember his breakout moment with Man in the Mirror, that he got in the top 3 votes with literally no airtime was iconic

Also yes he is hot and yes Allison was robbed (she was my 1st choice winner when it comes to it and her debut album is really good)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

we need more guys like Kris on modern Idol tbh. a true artist who can also sing AND serve us eye candy (a department which has been lacking for a few years now... imo). 

Edited by m1key
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, m1key said:

we need more guys like Kris on modern Idol tbh. a true artist who can also sing AND serve us eye candy (a department which has been lacking for a few years now... imo). 

Would Benson have counted had he not quit the show?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MalwareDie said:

Would Benson have counted had he not quit the show?

yes (in my opinion at least lol). i think they actively attempted to have another Benson moment this season by casting cute TikTok-vibe boys like Blake, Jordan, and Mackenzie but none of them were true artists and Blake/Jordan weren't the best singers so... 

4 hours ago, wildestinvegas said:

Kris Allen - Season 8 

Best Performance: Heartless

Round: Final 3

Theme: Idol's Choice

Kris is a great winner. Me being high on another WGWG? I know. Shocking! Finale was controversial and close and I do think he managed to edge out Adam mainly because there were people that were voting against Adam and not necessarily for him but his run justifies his spot at the finale and makes his win a respectable one. He wasn’t the most powerful vocalist of the season but he was completely aware of his limitations and never tried to do stuff he knew he wouldn’t be able to pull it off. He couldn’t compete with Adam or Allison when it came to vocals so he had to find new ways to make the voters pay attention to him and following on the footsteps of David Cook, Kris started to rearrange songs to deliver new fresh takes on them and most of the time, he obtained fantastic results in doing it so with “Heartless”, “Ain’t No Sunshine” and “She Works Hard For The Money” being great artistic showcases for his creativity and his best performances all season long. On the other side of the spectrum, when he would stick true to a tune from arrangement to melody, I found him to come across as quite bland. But even tho I did mention how his vocals were not mind blowing, the guy had decent pitch and a clear pure tone as well so it isn’t like he was a bad singer (although his falsetto was quite weak). His worst performance was definitely “No Boundaries” with him struggling to cover the range of the song, pushing his voice from start to finish while missing tons of notes and being visibly exhausted during the proccess. Nonetheless, I like Kris a lot and I was happy to see him win even if I prefered Allison and Adam over him. He’s a good artist that played well to his strenghts and had his fair share of memorable performances during his time on American Idol. And yeah. he was hot. 

Performances ranking:

1. Heartless (A+)
2. Ain’t No Sunshine - Reprise (A+)
3. She Works Hard For The Money (A)
4. Ain’t No Sunshine (A)
5. Falling Slowly (A-)

6. What’s Going On? (A-)
7. How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You (A-)
8. To Make You Feel My Love (A-)
9. Man In The Mirror (B+)
10. Remember The Time (B+)

11. Apologize (B)
12. Come Together (B)
13. The Way You Look Tonight (B-)
14. All She Wants To Do Is Dance (C+)

15. Renegade - With Danny Gokey (D)
16. No Boundaries (D-)

Winners ranking:

1. Fantasia Barrino (Season 3)

2. David Cook (Season 7)

3. Kelly Clarkson (Season 1)

4. Kris Allen (Season 8 )

5. Ruben Studdard (Season 2)

6. Jordin Sparks (Season 6)

7. Carrie Underwood (Season 4)

8. Taylor Hicks (Season 5)

I was one of those who voted for Kris, but only after Allison was eliminated.  After her elimination, I was left with three guys and I was never going to vote for Adam because his tone on songs such as “Ring of Fire” drove me nuts.  So I was left with Danny Gokey and Kris, and I chose Kris.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok, Kris is certainly, a limited vocalist. Obviously Adam can sing circles around him. But in a show called "American Idol" i don't think vocals need neccesarily to be the most important thing. One thing Kris had during his run is that he certainly knew how to sell to the audience the songs he was performing. His tone is easy on the ears (as much as his face is easy on the eyes) and he managed to give enjoyable performances most of the time, showing some great artistry, like in "Heartless". That one was that good, that some people re-created similar arrangements on other singing competitions (See: Dia Frampton from The Voice). I think he was probably "easier to digest" for the American public who may have thought that Adam was "too theatrical" or "doing to much". But that doesn't take away his talent and hard work. He deserved the win, and the discourse going on internet about him being a "nobody" after the show and Adam being the "real star" is disgusting. I'm sure both are satisfied with what they have achieved in their music careers. 

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Such a great season Kris was on ... a final 3 of him, Adam and Allison would've been one for the books. Kris's tone is just to die for, and heartless was prob his "defining" moment that sealed him the crown.

edit: also thought this was incredible too and was stunned at how the judges were mixed on it

Edited by StarWalker1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, m1key said:

As a bicurious man...

Jonny West. 👀

👄

(Okay, and maybe Jack.)

Edited by NGL2008

15 minutes ago, NGL2008 said:

As a bicurious man...

Jonny West. 👀

👄

(Okay, and maybe Jack.)

Jack yes, Jonny not for me :stealth:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, m1key said:

updating to add a mention for Hunter Metts - he didn't come to mind until i just made the Katy duets thread lol

(also sorry for derailing the thread lol)

Edited by m1key

25 minutes ago, NGL2008 said:

As a bicurious man...

Jonny West. 👀

👄

(Okay, and maybe Jack.)

Just now, m1key said:

updating to add a mention for Hunter Metts - he didn't come to mind until i just made the Katy duets thread lol

(also sorry for derailing the thread lol)

Lowkey agree on all three  :P

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

I'm watching Lee DeWyze's run and i'm realising that Ellen was a judge... How did that happen?? Ugh, I hate that woman so much 🤢🤢

That was when she was the big talk show of the town, and before...other things about her were well known.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

Ok, Kris is certainly, a limited vocalist. Obviously Adam can sing circles around him. But in a show called "American Idol" i don't think vocals need neccesarily to be the most important thing. One thing Kris had during his run is that he certainly knew how to sell to the audience the songs he was performing. His tone is easy on the ears (as much as his face is easy on the eyes) and he managed to give enjoyable performances most of the time, showing some great artistry, like in "Heartless". That one was that good, that some people re-created similar arrangements on other singing competitions (See: Dia Frampton from The Voice). I think he was probably "easier to digest" for the American public who may have thought that Adam was "too theatrical" or "doing to much". But that doesn't take away his talent and hard work. He deserved the win, and the discourse going on internet about him being a "nobody" after the show and Adam being the "real star" is disgusting. I'm sure both are satisfied with what they have achieved in their music careers. 

I totally agree.

Pretty much everything I wanted to say about Kris has been said already. He wasn't the strongest vocalist, but he knew his limitations and the best at emphasizing his strong points, which were creative arrangements and keeping his voice where his range sounded the best. My favorites from him were "Ain't No Sunshine" and "Heartless". He had the best underdog story as far as Idol winners (and contestants in general) are concerned. He was able to overcome two huge favorites in Danny and Adam to take the crown, although Danny killed his chances with "Scream On" plus faced serious backlash for advancing over Allison and Adam being extremely polarizing to put it mildly. While he's not my favorite winner nor my S8 favorite, I do like him and think he's a fantastic winner.

• Like 2

Love Kris! One of my favourite winners, and it was nice seeing him get the win since the show clearly didn’t want him (or Allison) making it. :giggle:

15 hours ago, wildestinvegas said:

It’s not that surprising. Adam was very polarizing in S8, and the finale was the only time you could theoretically vote against someone. N*gel confirmed many moons ago on his Twitter that (outside of Clay/Ruben) all of the winners on the seasons he was involved in had very decisive victories over their runner-up.

17 minutes ago, Elliott said:

It’s not that surprising. Adam was very polarizing in S8, and the finale was the only time you could theoretically vote against someone. N*gel confirmed many moons ago on his Twitter that (outside of Clay/Ruben) all of the winners on the seasons he was involved in had very decisive victories over their runner-up.

Fantasia actually won by just 1% (1% or 2%, I’m not sure). Ryan says it during S3 finale just before he reveals the winner. 

1 hour ago, wildestinvegas said:

Fantasia actually won by just 1% (1% or 2%, I’m not sure). Ryan says it during S3 finale just before he reveals the winner. 

1-2% could still be a decisive victory in terms of what the actual voting totals were. But I’ll just chalk it up to S3 being an enigma :haha: