Wildest's Idol winners rankdown/analysis

So S6 was the first one I saw live, haven’t revisited many performances since but I do remember Jordin being good but not really talked about much during the first live shows, then at the T12 she got the pimp spot with great performance and people started noticing her more. Melinda was obviously great, Lakisha was good too but I think she kinda ran out of steam near the end.

A Broken Wing was probably my favorite of hers that I can remember

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Elliott said:

@wildestinvegas not sure if it’s been brought up, but if you’re copying + pasting text, you should hit the “paste as plain text” prompt. Because your posts aren’t showing up in dark mode right now.

ohhhh i didn't know that. that's good to know. thank you so much! i'll keep that in mind when doing the next write-ups. 

Edited by wildestinvegas

Melinda was my favorite that season, and I voted so hard for her to win.  But she and Jordin were competing for the same spot in the finale, and Jordin was improving more than Melinda.  But Jordin was a fine winner.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I hated most of Jordin’s performances in S6 and wouldn’t have put her anywhere near the finale, lol (and 14-year-old me was bitter she made it through those last few weeks over Chris R and Melinda). Her post-Idol music was pretty good, which turned me into a fan. But then she doubled down on being a Chris Brown apologist so idc about her anymore.

Edited by Elliott

Posted (edited)

David Cook (Season 7)

Best Performance: Always Be My Baby

Round: Final 7 

Theme: Mariah Carey

I consider David to be one of the best winners of American Idol. Although he was our first white guy with a guitar to win and was responsible to start a trend that affected the quality of the show on the long run, it’s really hard to argue against his win on Season 7. I love how many risks David was willing to take while playing the “Idol game”. Not only he picked some obscure songs a few times simply because they spoke to him but he also completely rearranged classics and gave us his own versions of those songs with “Hello”, “Billie Jean” and “Always Be My Baby” becoming some of the most memorable moments of the season due to how compelling they turned out to be. It was a fresh run that kept people invested on him all throughout the season and it payed off in a big time. He was also a good vocalist with a compelling husky tone and he knew his voice well enough to exerce control over it during most of his performances. Even tho there were occasions where he tried to do way too much with his lower register and head voice and fell flat on his face with “Innocent” being the biggest example of that (he had the worst performance out of everyone that night). His diction wasn’t the greatest either but that isn’t a deal breaker and I can look past that. Overall his journey on the show was incredible to watch, with his few hiccups along the way being originated from some decisions (in songchoices, keys or arrangements) that just didn’t stick the landing. What a run! 

Performances ranking:

1. Always Be My Baby (A+)
2. The World I Know (A+)
3. Billie Jean (A+)
4. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (A)
5. Hello (A)

6. All I Really Need Is You
7. Music Of The Night (A)
8. Little Sparrow (A)
9. Eleanor Rigby (A-)
10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (A-)
11. Baba O'Riley (A-)
12. All Right Now (B+)
13. Day Tripper (B+)
14. Happy Together (B+)
15. Dream Big (B)
16. I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing (B-)
17. I'm Alive (B-)

18. Dare You To Move (C+)
19. Hungry Like The Wolf (C-)

20. Innocent (D)

Winners ranking:

1. Fantasia Barrino (Season 3)

2. David Cook (Season 7)

3. Kelly Clarkson (Season 1)

4. Ruben Studdard (Season 2)

5. Jordin Sparks (Season 6)

6. Carrie Underwood (Season 4)

7. Taylor Hicks (Season 5)

Ngl, I struggled when deciding if I was gonna rank David above or under Kelly because he had more misses than her but at the end of the day, he took more risks and gave us more variety than Kelly so his overall run felt more exciting to watch. 

Edited by wildestinvegas
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, wildestinvegas said:

2. The World I Know (A+)

Taste :wub:  TWIK is my favourite Idol performance. ❤️

David Cook's still one of my all-time favourite Idol contestants, and I still revisit his Idol run fairly often. At the time, it was so exciting seeing the token rocker contestant of the season finally pull out the win.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Taste :wub:  TWIK is my favourite Idol performance. ❤️

David Cook's still one of my all-time favourite Idol contestants, and I still revisit his Idol run fairly often. At the time, it was so exciting seeing the token rocker contestant of the season finally pull out the win.

TWIK makes me so emotional. I love that he picked that to be his final performance. It has such a beautiful closure feeling to it. It’s criminally underrated. 

Edited by wildestinvegas
  • Like 1

Katharine is my favorite Idol contestant and Elliott my favorite male, so needless to say I would've liked to have seen one of them walk away with the victory. However, it was inevitable Taylor would win, especially after Chris's elimination. To be honest, his win didn't bother me too much. Maybe it's because it was easy to see coming. He was the only contestant to never land in the bottom throughout the season, and he had one of the more rabid fanbases Idol has ever had. Also, I did enjoy a few of his performances. Having said that although "In The Ghetto" is considered to be his best performance, it has never been one of my favorites. I prefer "Levon", "Taking It To The Streets", and "Living For The City" over it.

If Melinda couldn't win S6, Jordin was the next best option. She showed a lot of potential; however, she really only fulfilled it with "I (Who Have Nothing)". The rest of her run was solid if not spectacular, outside of the hot mess that was "Livin' For A Prayer". I think what gave her the edge was her youth and said potential, whereas her main competitors LaKisha and Melinda (IMO) had something going against them. LaKisha faltered greatly after a strong start, and Melinda was considered to be too old-fashioned and a finished product. Nevertheless, Jordin is a solid winner all things considered.

David is my second favorite male contestant and second favorite winner overall after Kelly. He was the ideal combination of a strong vocalist and innovative artist. Although Blake Lewis started the ball rolling with the creative arrangements, David piggybacked off that and raised it to the next level. Outside of "Innocent" and "Hungry Like The Wolf", his run was remarkably consistent. Though "Billie Jean" and "Always Be My Baby" are his most celebrated performances, my personal favorite is "Music Of The Night" because it was his best pure vocal showing, IMO. It also drove the point home of him being more than just a creative arranger. To think he only attended the auditions to support his brother only to be convinced to audition himself. I know there are some Archie fans who wished he didn't audition. :haha:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Crisis said:

I prefer "Levon", "Taking It To The Streets", and "Living For The City" over it.

LaKisha faltered greatly after a strong start, and Melinda was considered to be too old-fashioned and a finished product. Nevertheless, Jordin is a solid winner all things considered.

David is my second favorite male contestant and second favorite winner overall after Kelly. He was the ideal combination of a strong vocalist and innovative artist. Although Blake Lewis started the ball rolling with the creative arrangements, David piggybacked off that and raised it to the next level. Outside of "Innocent" and "Hungry Like The Wolf", his run was remarkably consistent. Though "Billie Jean" and "Always Be My Baby" are his most celebrated performances, my personal favorite is "Music Of The Night" because it was his best pure vocal showing, IMO. It also drove the point home of him being more than just a creative arranger. To think he only attended the auditions to support his brother only to be convinced to audition himself. I know there are some Archie fans who wished he didn't audition. :haha:

- I always tried to get into "Living For The City" because people seems to love it but I found to be so karaoke LOL 

- I think something that played against Melinda was also how surprised/shocked she acted everytime the judges (especially Simon) would say that she was the best singer in the competition. It was cute at first but I remember people thinking she was putting on a act when she would do that everytime. 

- I agree that "Music Of The Night" is his best vocal showcase. It's just beautiful. Althought "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is a close second IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildestinvegas said:

- I always tried to get into "Living For The City" because people seems to love it but I found to be so karaoke LOL 

- I think something that played against Melinda was also how surprised/shocked she acted everytime the judges (especially Simon) would say that she was the best singer in the competition. It was cute at first but I remember people thinking she was putting on a act when she would do that everytime. 

- I agree that "Music Of The Night" is his best vocal showcase. It's just beautiful. Althought "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is a close second IMO. 

“Music of the Night” might have been my favorite David Cook performance as well, mainly because I love The Phantom of the Opera.

As for Melinda, while I think she was genuinely surprised whenever the judges said that she was the best singer in the competition, I can see why people would begin thinking that she was just acting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hsamid said:

Can't wait for the Adam Lambert analysis!

Isn't this just for winners or is there going to be a runner up one too? :? 

2 hours ago, StarWalker1 said:

Can't wait for the Kris allen ... I think out of all the male winners of the entire show he's prob my fave. Dude is mega talented

He's my personal favorite male musician in all of Idoldom. Also he replaced Rob Thomas/Matchbox 20 for my male solo singer loves. lmao

Hanson remains favorite band. :wub:

Haley Reinhart/Abi Carter are tied for favorite female singer. ❤️ 

• Like 1

I gave a listening to Jordin's run on the show and wow, girl was great even at 17 years old. Her inexperience obviously showed several times but overall, i really enjoyed most of her performances, and yeah, she slayed "I (Who Have Nothing)", she sounded like a professional there. 

• Like 1

Wow, David Cook absolutely killed it during his run on the show!. He has a great tone for rock music, and his great vocals plus his amazing stage presence and creativity obviously made him to stand out. He was pretty much the complete package, like, an American Idol in all sense of word. I definitely enjoyed most of his performances. :teeheewave:

• Like 2

Just listened to Kris's run...i'll wait until wildestinvegas post their review about him. For now, let's say that he looked really hot back then, so at least my eyes were satisfied. :giggle:

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Kris Allen - Season 8 

Best Performance: Heartless

Round: Final 3

Theme: Idol's Choice

Kris is a great winner. Me being high on another WGWG? I know. Shocking! Finale was controversial and close and I do think he managed to edge out Adam mainly because there were people that were voting against Adam and not necessarily for him but his run justifies his spot at the finale and makes his win a respectable one. He wasn’t the most powerful vocalist of the season but he was completely aware of his limitations and never tried to do stuff he knew he wouldn’t be able to pull it off. He couldn’t compete with Adam or Allison when it came to vocals so he had to find new ways to make the voters pay attention to him and following on the footsteps of David Cook, Kris started to rearrange songs to deliver new fresh takes on them and most of the time, he obtained fantastic results in doing it so with “Heartless”, “Ain’t No Sunshine” and “She Works Hard For The Money” being great artistic showcases for his creativity and his best performances all season long. On the other side of the spectrum, when he would stick true to a tune from arrangement to melody, I found him to come across as quite bland. But even tho I did mention how his vocals were not mind blowing, the guy had decent pitch and a clear pure tone as well so it isn’t like he was a bad singer (although his falsetto was quite weak). His worst performance was definitely “No Boundaries” with him struggling to cover the range of the song, pushing his voice from start to finish while missing tons of notes and being visibly exhausted during the proccess. Nonetheless, I like Kris a lot and I was happy to see him win even if I prefered Allison and Adam over him. He’s a good artist that played well to his strenghts and had his fair share of memorable performances during his time on American Idol. And yeah. he was hot. 

Performances ranking:

1. Heartless (A+)
2. Ain’t No Sunshine - Reprise (A+)
3. She Works Hard For The Money (A)
4. Ain’t No Sunshine (A)
5. Falling Slowly (A-)

6. What’s Going On? (A-)
7. How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You (A-)
8. To Make You Feel My Love (A-)
9. Man In The Mirror (B+)
10. Remember The Time (B+)

11. Apologize (B)
12. Come Together (B)
13. The Way You Look Tonight (B-)
14. All She Wants To Do Is Dance (C+)

15. Renegade - With Danny Gokey (D)
16. No Boundaries (D-)

Winners ranking:

1. Fantasia Barrino (Season 3)

2. David Cook (Season 7)

3. Kelly Clarkson (Season 1)

4. Kris Allen (Season 8 )

5. Ruben Studdard (Season 2)

6. Jordin Sparks (Season 6)

7. Carrie Underwood (Season 4)

8. Taylor Hicks (Season 5)

Edited by wildestinvegas
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, wildestinvegas said:

Kris Allen - Season 8 

Best Performance: Heartless

Round: Final 3

Theme: Idol's Choice

Kris is a great winner. Me being high on another WGWG? I know. Shocking! Finale was controversial and close and I do think he managed to edge out Adam mainly because there were people that were voting against Adam and not necessarily for him...

It was not close. Kris was told by the producers that he won by a large margin, which was foreshadowed when Ryan indicated fewer than a million votes separated Adam and Kris for the night of the Top 3. Once Kris absorbed the bulk of what was left of Danny's votes, it was clear that he would win. I personally preferred Adam, but I can't let this sort of revisionist history be spread about the result being close.

On another note, the next one is off key Lee, and I hope he is dead last for train wrecking half the time and being a disgrace of a performer.

Edited by MalwareDie
  • Thanks 1