Wildest's Idol winners rankdown/analysis

Catching up some in this thread.

I have "Superstar" after "A Whole New World", but I more or less agree with the rankings. As for his run in general, his voice started to deteriorate around the halfway point in the Finals which contributed to his performances declining. Clay would've been a great winner since he was more consistent, but I preferred Ruben overall and therefore was happy with his victory.

Fantasia's voice is definitely polarizing, but I am one who appreciates it. I say she was the best in terms of emotionally connecting to a song and leaving everything on stage. LaToya was my S3 favorite, but Fantasia was second, so I was happy to see her come out on top. As far as the rankings go, I have "Chain of Fools" behind "Summertime" and "I Believe"; however, they are solid overall.

I hope the die-hard Carrie fans don't pop in here and read your write-up. :haha: Having said that, I agree with you about her. I like Carrie and saw her live at her residency a couple of years ago; however, her run wasn't the greatest amongst the winners. She had the tools but lacked in consistency and emotional connection. A nickname for her during the season was Farmbot because of the latter. I thought Bo was more consistent and would've made a good winner, but if not him Carrie was a great choice. Also, Nigel revealed that Carrie was the top vote getter every week by wide margins. As for her rankings, I'm happy to see "Love Is A Battlefield" on the higher end, as it's one of my biggest guilty pleasures. :giggle: I have "If You Don't Know Me By Now" at the bottom below "MacArthur Park"; everything else I agree with.

I'm intrigued to read about Taylor. He is certainly one of, if not the most unconventional, winners.

5 hours ago, Elliott said:

Not sure why you felt the need to try and make it a personal slight like that given you also like the same style of contestant every single season. 🙄

But seeing as how I knew him before Idol, my husband and I have become friends with him, and he recorded a version of his one of his songs for us to do our first dance to, yeah, I do like him. 🙂

Oh.  Now I’m embarrassed.  Sorry.  🫣

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Catching up some in this thread.

I have "Superstar" after "A Whole New World", but I more or less agree with the rankings. As for his run in general, his voice started to deteriorate around the halfway point in the Finals which contributed to his performances declining. Clay would've been a great winner since he was more consistent, but I preferred Ruben overall and therefore was happy with his victory.

Fantasia's voice is definitely polarizing, but I am one who appreciates it. I say she was the best in terms of emotionally connecting to a song and leaving everything on stage. LaToya was my S3 favorite, but Fantasia was second, so I was happy to see her come out on top. As far as the rankings go, I have "Chain of Fools" behind "Summertime" and "I Believe"; however, they are solid overall.

I hope the die-hard Carrie fans don't pop in here and read your write-up. :haha: Having said that, I agree with you about her. I like Carrie and saw her live at her residency a couple of years ago; however, her run wasn't the greatest amongst the winners. She had the tools but lacked in consistency and emotional connection. A nickname for her during the season was Farmbot because of the latter. I thought Bo was more consistent and would've made a good winner, but if not him Carrie was a great choice. Also, Nigel revealed that Carrie was the top vote getter every week by wide margins. As for her rankings, I'm happy to see "Love Is A Battlefield" on the higher end, as it's one of my biggest guilty pleasures. :giggle: I have "If You Don't Know Me By Now" at the bottom below "MacArthur Park"; everything else I agree with.

I'm intrigued to read about Taylor. He is certainly one of, if not the most unconventional, winners.

"Love is A Battelfield" isn't her best vocal but it was one of the few instances of Carrie's upbeat numbers that had some real personality to it so it's a guilty pleasure of mine as well LOL. Farmbot is an insane nickname, PLS. Regarding her leading the voting every week, it didn't surprise me when Nigel revealed that but I found weird at first because I always guessed that Bo was the top vote getter during Final 3 week due to "In A Dream'

And yeah, I think Ruben's voice was just tired by that point in the season, which is understandable but it becomes really noticeable when you watch all his performances in order. My Taylor's write up shall be interesting.... I have so many thoughts about him 💀

Edited by wildestinvegas

Tbh, I think I've only seen Summertime and Alone (the 2 iconic performances) from Fantasia and Carrie

I kinda remember Independence Day too.

I've liked plenty of Carrie's music outside Idol though and a few Fantasia songs.

3 hours ago, wildestinvegas said:

Carrie Underwood - Season 4

Performances ranking:

1. Alone (A+)
2. Independence Day (A)

I wasn't a fan on Idol at all, and I've never really cared for her cover of Alone. Independence Day was easily my favourite performance from her. I've enjoyed some of her post-Idol songs so she gradually grew on me in the years after her season. But then her COVID antics happened, and it pretty much stopped me from caring much about her anymore.

Posted (edited)

Taylor Hicks - Season 5 

Best Performance: In The Ghetto 

Round: Final 4 

Theme: Elvis Presley 

I gotta be honest, this is truly a baffling win and it hasn't aged well at all. Usually when I don't agree with a winner, I can at least understand why viewers felt compelled to reward them with the win but this is an instance where I really struggle to understand why a contestant won its season. Although Taylor for the most part sang on key and could carry a tune, which made most of his performances listenable, his tone was generic, his range was limited, his stage presence was cringy (Simon was spot on that one time he said he looked like a drunk uncle singing on karaoke) and his songchoices were old-fashioned as hell. Taylor impressed me with "In The Ghetto" delivering a performance where his personality didn't cloud everything else that was going on but that was probably the only instance where I felt that way. At best, Taylor would sound like a competent wedding/lounge singer and at worst, he would loook like a crooner-esque impersonator singing for money on the streets. I don't really have anything else to add. It's an average forgettable run from an average forgettable Idol contestant that shouldn't have won its season, especially when we take into consideration the depth of the talent that we had on Season 5. I'm so sorry Elliott, Chris, Mandisa and Katharine. 

Performances ranking:

1. In The Ghetto (A)
2. You Send Me (A-)
3. Taking It To The Streets (B+)
4. Living For The City - (B+)
5. Levon - (B+)
6. You Are So Beautiful (B)
7. Something (B)
8. Trouble - (B)
9. Crazy Little Thing Called Love (B-)
10. Dancing In The Dark (B-)
11. Easy (B-)
12. Do I Make You Proud (B-)
13. Living For The City - Reprise (B-)
14. Fade Away - (B-)
15. Try A Little Tenderness (C+)
16. Play That Funky Music (C+)
17. Levon - Reprise (C+)
18. Jailhouse Rock (D)
19. Take Me Home, Country Road (D)
20. Just Once (D-)

Winners ranking:

1. Fantasia Barrino

2. Kelly Clarkson 

3. Ruben Studdard

4. Carrie Underwood

5. Taylor Hicks

Edited by wildestinvegas
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, wildestinvegas said:

Usually when I don't agree with a winner, I can at least understand why viewers felt compelled to reward them with the win but this is an instance where I really struggle to understand why a contestant won its season.

His win made a lot of sense in the context of watching his season live. He and Chris Daughtry were by far the two most popular contestants with the audience at the time. (Elliott received virtually no airtime prior to the Top 24, so while he managed to make it to third, he probably wasn't as popular as the others; Kellie was also really liked because of her southern belle persona, but her performances were pretty polarizing).

So it was the perfect storm of Taylor basically picking up the eliminated contestants' fanbase votes, Katharine receiving a lot of blame from the fanbases of the other contestants for being in the top two (notably after Elvis week and Simon manufacturing a moment for her at the top three), and Katharine then tanking in the finale. Her coronation single performance was panned, her Black Horse and the Cherry Tree reprise wasn't as well received as the original (as to be expected), and then she reprised a performance she had just done the week prior.

I've never been a fan of Taylor's, but his win wasn't surprising in the slightest to people who were viewers in S5. :haha:

Also, a fun fact just to show how the perfect storm of everything above happened: To date, he still has the biggest landslide victory of all the winners. I forgot the exact percentage because it's been so long, but it was something between 70-80% iirc. Lemme see if @Weedy_Speedy's random Idol knowledge is more memorable than mine.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Elliott said:

His win made a lot of sense in the context of watching his season live. He and Chris Daughtry were by far the two most popular contestants with the audience at the time. (Elliott received virtually no airtime prior to the Top 24, so while he managed to make it to third, he probably wasn't as popular as the others; Kellie was also really liked because of her southern belle persona, but her performances were pretty polarizing).

So it was the perfect storm of Taylor basically picking up the eliminated contestants' fanbase votes, Katharine receiving a lot of blame from the fanbases of the other contestants for being in the top two (notably after Elvis week and Simon manufacturing a moment for her at the top three), and Katharine then tanking in the finale. Her coronation single performance was panned, her Black Horse and the Cherry Tree reprise wasn't as well received as the original (as to be expected), and then she reprised a performance she had just done the week prior.

I've never been a fan of Taylor's, but his win wasn't surprising in the slightest to people who were viewers in S5. :haha:

Also, a fun fact just to show how the perfect storm of everything above happened: To date, he still has the biggest landslide victory of all the winners. I forgot the exact percentage because it's been so long, but it was something between 70-80% iirc. Lemme see if @Weedy_Speedy's random Idol knowledge is more memorable than mine.

No yeah, I get why and how he won. I wasn't surprised or shocked by it. From a logical standpoint it makes sense. I just don’t see what’s compelling about him as an artist to generate that interest on him. 

Edited by wildestinvegas

Season 5 2006...

Nope never saw it. 

Heard a news blip on the radio announcing Taylor's win tho. 

Then I was all. Oh maybe I should watch Idol!

17 years worth....

🥹😅

• Like 1

Taylor had the granny vote (VFTW had a more crude name for them lol) in spades. Once Chris got eliminated, we all knew Taylor had it. He remains my least favorite winner. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Elliott said:

but it was something between 70-80% iirc. Lemme see if @Weedy_Speedy's random Idol knowledge is more memorable than mine.

are we sure about this? because as far as i could remember, s5 was a pretty close season in terms of competition. during final 3 results night, ryan even revealed the percentage that each contestant got and all of them received 33% of the votes with elliott getting eliminated because of 0.2% of the votes. i find hard to believe we went from a tight voting like that to taylor winning with 80% in the spam of 7 days. although i do think he won with a comfortable lead since most elliott's votes prob went to him, i don't think it was this huge of a lead.  

Edited by wildestinvegas

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, StarWalker1 said:

Man ... just imagine if Chris, Elliot or Katherine won 

wonder how that couldve changed things

Do you mean you think the show could've peaked for longer if one of them had won? Or are you just wondering whether that would have changed for wildestinvegas?

Edited by MalwareDie

I think I've only seen Living for the City which was pretty good but no Alone (Carrie)/Summertime (Fantasia).

I probably watched Levon at some point too but I can't really remember.

Speaking of Katharine though thanks to Didi Benami for introducing me to this great song lol

5 minutes ago, MalwareDie said:

Do you mean you think the show could've peaked for longer if one of them had won? Or are you just wondering whether that would have changed for wildestinvegas?

more so like how their careers wouldve been like after that + what impacts could've on the show

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, StarWalker1 said:

more so like how their careers wouldve been like after that + what impacts could've on the show

Well, I know Daughtry's career wouldn't have been any different as they treated him as the winner of that season with his album coming out before Taylor's.

Daughtry winning probably would've helped the show continue to grow in audience though and make it even more massive than it already was.

Edited by MalwareDie
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, wildestinvegas said:

No yeah, I get why and how he won. I wasn't surprised or shocked by it. From a logical standpoint it makes sense. I just don’t see what’s compelling about him as an artist to generate that interest on him. 

I think his strategic skills were the main reason why many were interested in him.  He had very good strategy with song selection and he constantly referred to the “Soul Patrol” to get his fans voting.

5 hours ago, Elliott said:

Hmm... well, I've never heard of Taylor having a landslide victory before. They actually announced the voting percentages on the top 3 results show, however. Elliott had something like 33.1% of the vote, while the other two contestants had 33.3% and 33.6% (or something similar). If we assume that all of Elliott's voters switched to Taylor for the finale (which isn't that stretch of an assumption to make), that would leave him with roughly 66% of the final vote.

For the record, here's the Dialidol result for the finale, since it was pretty accurate back then:

gXhHC7s.png

There's also the fact that "omg Taylor sucks and was the worst winner ever!!" mantra is IDF revisionist history at its finest. He was very good and extremely popular. A lot of people (including Simon) also predicted that Katharine would go home on top 4 night, so when Chris Daughtry left instead, people were pretty pissed lol.

22 hours ago, KelseyW said:

Can't wait for Kris, Cook, and Scotty placements. 🥹

Likewise with Phillip, Chayce.  I think we know how it will end when it comes to the musicians.  IDF has always favored the ballad queens, jr divas - who are about the runs, vocal gymnastics.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

My favorite part about Taylor winning, and above all his competitors that season, was his completely underwhelming reaction. Just a fistpump "W0000!" like he did every week, as if it was nothing special. 😆

From what I can tell, he seems to still be a chill content creator just experimenting on his own time.

Edited by NGL2008
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mytake1 said:

Likewise with Phillip, Chayce.  I think we know how it will end when it comes to the musicians.  IDF has always favored the ballad queens, jr divas - who are about the runs, vocal gymnastics.

true... because musicians can only equal to guys holding guitars. poor women and their lack of musicianship. here's to real artistry!!!! jokes aside, that's an annoying take. this is my personal ranking. not idf's. i wouldn't assume too much LOL

i care a lot abt singing because well... it's a singing competition and the sound needs to be good on my ears but i also value emoting (big thing for me), songchoices, arrangements, versatility, risks, etc. 

Edited by wildestinvegas
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Jordin Sparks - Season 6

Best Performance: I (Who Have Nothing)

Round: Final 11

Theme: British Invasion 

I love the crystal-clear quality of Jordin's tone. It cuts through the room in a very effective way. With her being 16/17 years old during the show, I do find impressive that she didn't have a hard time connecting and selling the content of the songs she was singing, which I find to be a common flaw for contestants around that age. "I (Who Have Nothing)" and "A Broken Wing", two of her best performances required emoting beyond her age and she was able to sell the hell out of those moments, which were responsible to put her in contention for the crown. Sure, she could be a bit too theatrical at times but she was believable on her theatrics and they worked well for most of the part. Her age did play a factor here and there with her lack of experience getting the the best of her at times tho. I mean that because there were instances where she didn't have the finesse to know how to finish every single one of her notes and even tho I've seem people say that she could get quite shrill at the top of her range, I think she struggled with her lower notes much more. I also think at times, her vocals didn't infuse the edge needed for certain songs she was taking on. "Livin' On A Prayer" was a mix of all those flaws in one showing and turned out to be a trainwreck for the ages. Nonetheless, she was clearly the most improved contestant of the season and delivered some impressive and strong moments across the live shows while displaying tons of growth and passion during the proccess. Not the best contestant or vocalist of the season, that would be Melinda (for both) but this is a well-earned win for sure. 

Performances ranking:

1. I Who Have Nothing (A+)

2. A Broken Wing (A)
3. I Who Have Nothing - Reprise (A)

4. You'll Never Walk Alone (A)
5. To Love Somebody (A)
6. Give Me One Good Reason (A-)
7. If We Hold On Together (A-)
8. A Broken Wing - Reprise (A-)
9. Heartbreaker (A-)

10. This Is My Now (B+)
11. Hey Baby (B+)