The Buzz with CCX - Season 21 Episode 10

ScarletDevilCCX

Going to be a light night since the bottle of Kamoti Green Tea Whiskey was practically empty, but I was actually considering not drinking tonight anyway so it's just as well. Recap of what we heard at the end of last night's show with Paige Ann's half of the sing-off. Megan Danielle is up now, and I don't think it's as good as Paige...or at least, not as right for this competition. But Paige is the one going home; Megan is in the Top 24. Marybeth Byrd has stage presence out the wazoo, but I suppose a radio host would at least know how to hype up a crowd. She did "Flat on the Floor" by Carrie Underwood. Luke makes it sound like she's going home, and we cut away to the waiting room, where Marybeth tells Ryan that she didn't make it...but it's a double fakeout, she's in!

Oliver Steele is putting his own spin on Tears For Fears' "Everybody Wants To Rule the World". It's pretty good, which puts it miles ahead of the last couple of performances of this song on this show. He's into the Top 24. The judges tell him he needs to be his own hero now. Emma Busse is up next, and Ryan introduces her as a "theater performer", which isn't a promising sign, but she avoids theatrics. She sings Adele's "Chasing Pavements". It's amazing. She belongs in the Top 24. And she is there.

Preston Duffee did Jason Aldean's "Crazy Town", continuing to be "young Luke Bryan". I thought it was good, but they said he's not ready yet. Well, they do have to cut down from 55 to 24. Elijah McCormick, the fourth Platinum Ticket winner, survived a brutal car accident. He sang "Believe For It" by CeCe Williams. I assume he made it through, but ADHD.

Elise Kristine and Olivia Soli are both coming up. They're heading in together. Elise sang Nina Simone's "Feeling Good", and Katy was very impressed with some of the notes she hit. And wow, I see why! Olivia did "All By Myself", credited to Celine Dion. It started out seeming like she gave a good performance, but it fell apart...oh. She, too, hit some amazing notes. That's why they came into the judgment room together. But Olivia hasn't been one of my favorites, and she's outmatched here. ...But it's no sing-off; they're both in! Okay, fair enough, as long as Elise isn't going home. Dawson Wayne is up next, singing "Flying" by Cody Fry. He prefaces it by saying this is a story about his faith and to know you're all loved, I have n memory of seeing him before, I don't like his faces on stage and I don't like his singing. Oh, his preface is because he just got off of missionary work. Well, if he truly was unseen until now, that means he's there to be Top 24 fodder, and I'm all for foddering him off because as far as I can tell he had no business being in Hollywood in the first place.

Cam Amen had to raise his younger siblings, and now his girlfriend is expecting their first child. He sang "The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha. I think it's good. They feel like he's been in his own head too much...and he's not in the Top 24.

Mikenley Brown and Caroline Kole are both being called in...but nope, now it's Kaya Cole, singing "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus. Caroline sang "Iris" by the Go Goo Dolls, and Mikenley sang "The Joke" by Brandi Carlile. All three are going home. This is the second time Kaya went home at this point. Mariah Faith is going through to the Top 24. ...Eh, again, we need fodder.

Hannah Nicolaisen is singing Gavin DeGraw's "I Don't Want To Be". This was considered an "oversung song" in the early days of the competition, and now it's a surprising "classic" pick. Damn I feel old. She goes through, rightfully. Nailyah Serenity sings Luther Vandross's "Superstar". It's...meh. She goes through.

Trey Lewis and his mullet are up for judgment, and he feels like he's going home based on some of the people who got sent home. Oh, right, he was the one who survived a school shooting! He's got the flag of Texas on the back of his shirt and oversized sunglasses. He sang "Waiting for the Thunder" by Blackberry Smoke. Luke says he's "very very close", but he's not in the Top 24; I wonder if he was the one who got booted by Pjae and Malik both making it. They encourage him to come back.

Final spot: Iam Tongi, Matt Wilson, and Colin Stough are our final three contestants. I like Iam, but Matt is also very good--so is Colin but he's nothing we haven't seen year after year. Matt did Chris Brown's "Forever". It's good, but not what he needed in this crucial moment. Colin did Chris Stapleton's "Cold". I'm not feeling this, either, but I have to remember, it's about how he stacks up with the current season's contestants. And Iam took a risk and didn't go upbeat...but we're headed to commercial!

Oh. He's doing "The Sound of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkel. That's quite the song choice. I approve. Iam does indeed get the last spot. Wait, plot twist? All three are through! They'll be heading to Aulani again, and the judges ask Iam to sing them out; he obliges with the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole version of "Over the Rainbow".