The Voice vs. American Idol

Raquel01

Just now, FloorWax said:

Ftr I wasn’t talking about the backstories, it’s the contestants interacting with the mentors, with each other, just doing random stuff. I don’t like backstories either.

oh i see, yeah that totally makes sense. the amount that i enjoy contestants definitely is impacted by things other than singing like how i view their personality. with some of my favorite contestants over the years i've talked with them over social media more which has made it easier to connect with them. whereas with some contestants who i haven't had that opportunity, it's harder to connect especially when they feel almost robotic in the perfectness of their singing -- a few singers in the past few seasons come to mind for this for me.

I dislike when the editing or use of contestant backstories becomes manipulative, though.

I enjoy coaching and mentoring segments, practice sessions with the band, onstage rehearsals, and footage of contestants interacting with each other. I'd also like to see contestants with the vocal coaches. Hair/makeup/wardrobe behind-the-scenes clips can be interesting, too. Unfortunately, there isn't enough airtime to include all of that.

1 hour ago, Gustavo527 said:

Btw, i'm listening to Iam's performances and i really want to enjoy his performance of The Sound Of Silence but these annoying judges make it impossible, they just can't shut up. It's a freaking song where your should sit up and listen to the lyrics whenever someone is performing it, especially considering how much that song must mean to Iam.

And people still have the nerve to complain about Kelly occasionally saying " You betta sing!!" 🙄

That's not really the fault of the judges though when the damn edits keep cutting to them. Otherwise you would probably barely hear them.

11 minutes ago, RTV said:

I dislike when the editing or use of contestant backstories becomes manipulative, though.

I enjoy coaching and mentoring segments, practice sessions with the band, onstage rehearsals, and footage of contestants interacting with each other. I'd also like to see contestants with the vocal coaches. Hair/makeup/wardrobe behind-the-scenes clips can be interesting, too. Unfortunately, there isn't enough airtime to include all of that.

There could be if they actually made the show about the contestants. Instead we get coach skits and them bickering amongst themselves. Which don't get me wrong, can be entertaining. But can also take away from the moment contestants are having.

I honestly used to only watch this show through YouTube for that reason. But watching with yall live is the only reason I sit through it lol. Applies to idol too 

4 minutes ago, QueenMae16 said:

Megan has been highkey slaying on AI, if she gets a ballad(or even sings "Piece By Piece" again) I could see her making the Finale, as long as the audience likes her tone enough. 

I think she's been the best voice alumni imo.

Most emotionally connected to her performances and pitch wise has been the most consistent.

Saying this as someone who was pretty indifferent to her on the voice for the most part.

Edited by Hsamid
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Oh for sure. I think they've all improved tbh (i know some will disagree though)

Nah, it's ok, people is entitled to their absolutely and totally wrong opinions ☺️ 

Yep, i read the live discussion thread

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Haha 3

I don’t think Megan was as good as last week, but still solid except a few parts. Same with Michael (I know y’all prefer female vocalists and generally same, but he is good imo)

Wé has been consistently performing at the highest level of TV alums, pretty easily imo. That being said, the only one who I think you can even make a case for not having improved/backpedaled since TV is Marybeth (not saying I agree, but I can see it). The other 3 I think are definitely better.

2 minutes ago, QueenMae16 said:

We and Marybeth have been pretty good too so far.

Glad to see the Voice girls improving since their seasons, I think all will make the next round(but we know Minivan's even more tragic somehow, at AI)

Yeah I think they are probably the safest bets for the girls to advance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daillon said:

I sound like a broken record but I still don’t know why yall love Megan so much. She’s so… average?? 

Her rasp is pretty effortless and distinct sounding, her vocal control is really good too imo.

I mean, just comparing her to her competition, I haven't heard her miss much vocally. 

Average is about one of the last words I'd use to describe her tbh.. even if I didn't like the sound of her voice, It would still stand out.

Edited by Hsamid
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, QueenMae16 said:

We and Marybeth have been pretty good too so far.

Glad to see the Voice girls improving since their seasons, I think all will make the next round(but we know Minivan's even more tragic somehow, at AI)

We is really the only one who has had time to mature, both personally and musically, since her Voice season. The other 3 (Megan, MB, Michael) feel like they applied to Idol right after they were on the Voice.

1 minute ago, AngelaKD said:

We is really the only one who has had time to mature, both personally and musically, since her Voice season. The other 3 (Megan, MB, Michael) feel like they applied to Idol right after they were on the Voice.

I mean, their seasons on the voice was 3+ years ago. That's plenty of time to develop as a vocalist and artist.

3 hours ago, Daillon said:

I sound like a broken record but I still don’t know why yall love Megan so much. She’s so… average?? 

For me maybe “fine” would be the word to describe that performance, I thought it was solid but there wasn’t much wow factor except the high notes, which didn’t really sound pleasant to my ears. She’s definitely better than TV, but I’m still not convinced.