The Voice vs. American Idol

Raquel01

Just now, jayshon said:

iam has had excessive pimping….and he’s one of the singers who’s gonna get hype for doing the bare minimum so I definitely see him winning 😭

It would be deserved, tbh 

Anyway, i don't think The Voice has pimped someone that much this season, right?? The closest would be NOIVAS, but even with him, apparently his edit hasn't been great. They even cut his backstory on his audition.

7 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

Anyway, i don't think The Voice has pimped someone that much this season, right?? The closest would be NOIVAS, but even with him, apparently his edit hasn't been great. They even cut his backstory on his audition.

Has the Voice ever pimped someone as much as Idol has pimped Iam? Maybe Idol will calm down on the pimping now but even still that's more love then most contestant gets in a full season.

• Like 1

Just now, QueenKalie said:

Has the Voice ever pimped someone as much as Idol has pimped Iam? Maybe Idol will calm down on the pimping now but even still that's more love then most contestant gets in a full season.

I think the closest to that level of pimping on The Voice would be with Jordan Smith.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jayshon said:

im NOTT a country fann LMAOOO just liked Hollys perfoamnce.😭😭 Ryley is amazing and NOIVAS is my king again after that KO… that’s my current stance on this very meh season….

Cause ms idol has me hoooked this seasonn!!!

moved this and replies to this thread from Voice spoilers :jaswave:

4 hours ago, jayshon said:

im NOTT a country fann LMAOOO just liked Hollys perfoamnce.😭😭 Ryley is amazing and NOIVAS is my king again after that KO… that’s my current stance on this very meh season….

Cause ms idol has me hoooked this seasonn!!!

😍

I don’t see any of the Idol girls contending for a win and the token country male is weak AF so right now I don’t see how Iam doesn’t win lmao 

In terms of The Voice, I see 2 contenders and they’re both on Team Blake.

• Like 1

Btw, i'm listening to Iam's performances and i really want to enjoy his performance of The Sound Of Silence but these annoying judges make it impossible, they just can't shut up. It's a freaking song where your should sit up and listen to the lyrics whenever someone is performing it, especially considering how much that song must mean to Iam.

And people still have the nerve to complain about Kelly occasionally saying " You betta sing!!" 🙄

• Like 1

Just now, Gustavo527 said:

Btw, i'm listening to Iam's performances and i really want to enjoy his performance of The Sound Of Silence but these annoying judges make it impossible, they just can't shut up. It's a freaking song where your should sit up and listen to the lyrics whenever someone is performing it, especially considering how much that song must mean to Iam.

And people still have the nerve to complain about Kelly occasionally saying " You betta sing!!" 🙄

I don’t know why Idol keeps bringing back the Luke/Lionel/Katy panel. None of them are funny, charming or even remotely likeable. 

Somewhat related to this: something I have noticed while watching The Voice’s most recent seasons is how often the camera cuts to the coaches during a performance. It didn’t bother me that much, but recently I have been revisiting the older seasons (thanks to FloorWax’s review thread) and the difference between a S5 KO and a S23 one is immense. It’s like watching a different show.

I get that the focus of the show is the coaches, but Jesus Christ. Let the contestants have their moment.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Daillon said:

I don’t know why Idol keeps bringing back the Luke/Lionel/Katy panel. None of them are funny, charming or even remotely likeable. 

Somewhat related to this: something I have noticed while watching The Voice’s most recent seasons is how often the camera cuts to the coaches during a performance. It didn’t bother me that much, but recently I have been revisiting the older seasons (thanks to FloorWax’s review thread) and the difference between a S5 KO and a S23 one is immense. It’s like watching a different show.

I get that the focus of the show is the coaches, but Jesus Christ. Let the contestants have their moment.

It is so annoying especially when a contestant is absolutely commanding the stage but we only get to see them half the time (exaggeration but it feels like that sometimes)

2 minutes ago, Daillon said:

We also have the playoff pass contestants they need to show a bunch of times for every performance.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

It is so annoying especially when a contestant is absolutely commanding the stage but we only get to see them half the time (exaggeration but it feels like that sometimes)

I think I remember this being a thing w/ CammWess vs. Megan. I think I recall a user here saying that they preferred CammWess when they were there live but they preferred Megan when it aired because the editing reduced the impact of CammWess' performance.

2 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Sometimes it’s hard to tell who had more screentime: Kelly or the contestant lol

5 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

We also have the playoff pass contestants they need to show a bunch of times for every performance.  

I forgot to mention that. So annoying (and I doubt they even wanted to be there in the first place)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gustavo527 said:

It's gonna be funny to see your reactions if him and NOIVAS happen to win their respective shows back to back :rolleyes:

Idk about QC, but I'd be sooo happy if that happens. Both are my top favs on their respective shows.

As someone who doesn’t have much time to invest in the contestants through social media, I really appreciate the more personal edits given to contestants on American Idol. From just watching the shows, I feel way more invested in the Idol cast this year than the Voice one. I’m curious to hear everyone else’s thoughts on this though. 

3 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

As someone who doesn’t have much time to invest in the contestants through social media, I really appreciate the more personal edits given to contestants on American Idol. From just watching the shows, I feel way more invested in the Idol cast this year than the Voice one. I’m curious to hear everyone else’s thoughts on this though. 

I agree that it’s much easier to get invested in Idol’s contestants as people, as opposed to The Voice where besides your backstory, viewers don’t really get to know much about you.  That’s why I enjoy it when Voice contestants post vlogs/behind the scenes stuff because only then can we get a grasp of their personality.

Really liked Leah last year not just for her vocals but her cheerful personality too. This year I find myself rooting for Matt because his demeanor is as sweet as his tone.

• Like 2

Just now, FloorWax said:

This year I find myself rooting for Matt because his demeanor is as sweet as his tone.

Totally agree on this one! He just gives off such good vibes and I tend to gravitate towards teachers on these kind of shows. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

I would've shared my thoughts, but I don't watch that show. I tried to watch it via stream, but meh, I couldn't last long. (Sorry lol)

I've been following NOIVAS and Sorelle a lot on SM, watching all their interviews and podcasts, so I'm really invested in them. I love Grace as well, but she doesn't post much on SM.

8 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

I would've shared my thoughts, but I don't watch that show. I tried to watch it via stream, but meh, I couldn't last long. (Sorry lol)

I've been following NOIVAS and Sorelle a lot on SM, watching all their interviews and podcasts, so I'm really invested in them. I love Grace as well, but she doesn't post much on SM.

That’s fair—must people on this side of the forum aren’t fans of it. :haha:

I will say, I have really come to love Kala’s personality from the few social media posts/videos I’ve seen from her. She seems like a really genuine person. ❤️

• Like 2

maybe im heartless but i feel like i dont particularly care for the backstories that much? mainly because it seems like almost every person has one and it seems like the producers want to manufacture or force out of people backstories to make the show interesting (see: the reason Kim didn't join the show back in s19 or something). if the backstories were meant to genuinely highlight the challenges faced by these contestants in reaching this point in their lives, then sure, maybe it would make more sense because it would allow the viewer to consider that in their judgment of the work they do. however, that isn't what this is.

in summary: backstories aren't an attempt at equity, they're an attempt to hook the viewer, and they don't work for me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

I agree that the personal stories and the hometown visits help viewers get to know the Idol contestants. Those who aren't willing or don't have time to do their own contestant research only learn what is aired during the episodes. If The Voice helped viewers feel invested in the contestants, more people might follow and support them after their time on the show ends.

1 minute ago, QueenCami said:

maybe im heartless but i feel like i dont particularly care for the backstories that much? mainly because it seems like almost every person has one and it seems like the producers want to manufacture or force out of people backstories to make the show interesting (see: the reason Kim didn't join the show back in s19 or something). if the backstories were meant to genuinely highlight the challenges faced by these contestants in reaching this point in their lives, then sure, maybe it would make more sense because it would allow the viewer to consider that in their judgment of the work they do. however, that isn't what this is.

in summary: backstories aren't an attempt at equity, they're an attempt to hook the viewer, and they don't work for me.

Ftr I wasn’t talking about the backstories, it’s the contestants interacting with the mentors, with each other, just doing random stuff. I don’t like backstories either.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

That’s fair—must people on this side of the forum aren’t fans of it. :haha:

I will say, I have really come to love Kala’s personality from the few social media posts/videos I’ve seen from her. She seems like a really genuine person. ❤️

YES! :haha: