AI21 Semi-Finals (Top 26) Song Choices & Instruments

Idol Maniac

2 hours ago, Carrie_On said:

Olivia sounds great until that high note lol. Elise should’ve sang Emotions instead. She can hit the whistle note with ease. 

Wé sounds incredible. Same with Nutsa, although a bit OTT. She’s a great stage performer. Paige sounds really good too. 

Maybe Olivia snapped up "Emotions" before Elise could get it, so Elise went with "Holding Out For a Hero" instead.

Glad to hear that Wé sounded incredible.  I'd like to know how Marybeth sounded as well.

Olivia sounds great until that high note lol. Elise should’ve sang Emotions instead. She can hit the whistle note with ease. 

Wé sounds incredible. Same with Nutsa, although a bit OTT. She’s a great stage performer. Paige sounds really good too. 

Maybe Olivia snapped up "Emotions" before Elise could get it, so Elise went with "Holding Out For a Hero" instead.

Glad to hear that Wé sounded incredible.  I'd like to know how Marybeth sounded as well.

25 minutes ago, kenboy123 said:

Why would anyone sing “Emotions” unless they want to be eliminated???

Elise actually does a great cover of it, whistle notes and all. I wouldn’t advise anyone to sing it but she’s one person who could pull it off lol. 

Matt sounds great! I think he’ll be one of my favorites. 

my favorites so far: 

Females:
1. Marybeth
2. Elise
3. We
4. Haven
5. Paige
6. Olivia
7. Megan
Males:
1. Elijah
2. Colin
3. William Guy Tongi
4. Matt Wilson
5. Malik
6. Warren Peavy
7. Zachariah Smith
8. Michael Williams

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 1:22 AM, m1key said:

Some more snippets from dress rehearsals!

Thanks to @Someone42 for finding. 

Pjae's Performance: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRt5L5WK/

Matt's Performance: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRt52F7e/

Oliver's Performance: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRtPE9Wf/

Elise's Performance: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRt58px9/

Matt and Elise sound incredible in these clips. I think I’ll really be rooting for Matt this season. He has such a sweet sounding voice and seems like a sweet human being as well.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 1:57 AM, Idol Maniac said:

Kaeyra - “Don’t Let Go (Love)” by En Vogue

This looks weird to me on paper. I feel like it could easily go south but Kaeyra is one of the best vocalists this season so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Malik Heard - “Ain’t It Fun?” by Paramore

Lmao bye

Michael Williams - “Tuesdays” by Jake Scott

Never heard of this, but its a heartthrob type of song. I wonder if he could sneak through if he does decent enough :ph34rwave:

Wé McDonald - “Edge Of Seventeen” by Stevie Nicks

Someone said she actually sang "Edge of Midnight" by Miley Cyrus and Stevie Nicks and honestly I'm not sure if that song makes a moment. We'll have to hope it does.

On 2/13/2023 at 10:13 PM, m1key said:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Con0ssUo6eA/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Snippet of Paige singing Wrecking Ball and she sounds INSANE omg

Want to bump this because I truly do believe if she sounds this good in the actual performance, she could catapult into contender status!

Also, Paige and Wé are both singing Miley songs (Wrecking Ball and Edge of Midnight respectively) and obviously Miley's sister Noah is the mentor for their group. I wonder if Noah will maybe let them Facetime Miley and get some extra pimpage? Lmao.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m1key said:

Want to bump this because I truly do believe if she sounds this good in the actual performance, she could catapult into contender status!

Also, Paige and Wé are both singing Miley songs (Wrecking Ball and Edge of Midnight respectively) and obviously Miley's sister Noah is the mentor for their group. I wonder if Noah will maybe let them Facetime Miley and get some extra pimpage? Lmao.

Yes I hope so 🙂 Ppl on social media are already outraged she got cut so with her comeback status, I hope she will get love from the voters. And she sounded phenomenal in that clip

14 hours ago, StarWalker1 said:

Ok so based on song choices/snippets ...

I'm a bit worried for Pjae, Haven, Nailyah, and possibly Lucy for Group 1 and Malik, Michael, Dawson and Olivia for Group 2 tbh

I just got on the MjsBigBlog site after a long time, and based on the main Top 26 poll, all the names you mentioned are at the bottom of the poll (except Haven, Dawson and Lucy) with Pjae, Malik and Mariah being the bottom 3. Just an observation. 

• Like 1

I wish a lot of the contestants didn’t feel the need to pick these uptempo “performance” type songs just because they’re in Hawaii. It seems to happen every season. Picking “Ain’t It Fun” does nothing for Malik (except probably get him sent home.) Scarlet made a dumb decision with “Levitating” last season and we saw where that got her. ESPECIALLY since Malik has gotten a fodder edit so far, like Scarlet also did (of course the fodder don’t know they’re fodder but still, make better choices! LOL) Haven choosing “The Middle” is another awful choice but she’s got the benefit of being a producer favorite, and she’s racked up way more fans than Malik has. Of course, the producers meddle in everything and probably tell the contestants to pick out a few songs and then they get the final say on which song gets performed. But I still wouldn’t pick some throwaway pop song for my “upbeat” choice. 

Kaeyra dropped the ball a little bit also with her song choice, but it could be a nice moment for her if she nails it. It sounds like she’s doing well in the Tik Tok clip. I hope she leans into being a rocker, though, because there’s no other female rock singer this season. 

Edited by Carrie_On
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Carrie_On said:

I wish a lot of the contestants didn’t feel the need to pick these uptempo “performance” type songs just because they’re in Hawaii. It seems to happen every season. Picking “Ain’t It Fun” does nothing for Malik (except probably get him sent home.) Scarlet made a dumb decision with “Levitating” last season and we saw where that got her. ESPECIALLY since Malik has gotten a fodder edit so far, like Scarlet also did (of course the fodder don’t know they’re fodder but still, make better choices! LOL) Haven choosing “The Middle” is another awful choice but she’s got the benefit of being a producer favorite, and she’s racked up way more fans than Malik has. Of course, the producers meddle in everything and probably tell the contestants to pick out a few songs and then they get the final say on which song gets performed. But I still wouldn’t pick some throwaway pop song for my “upbeat” choice. 

Kaeyra dropped the ball a little bit also with her song choice, but it could be a nice moment for her if she nails it. It sounds like she’s doing well in the Tik Tok clip. I hope she leans into being a rocker, though, because there’s no other female rock singer this season. 

First of all, love your new pfp :wub: 

I think the S20 and S21 contestants have viewed Hawaii as an opportunity to get their uptempo song "out of the way." That way, they can go back to the studio and sing ballads that show off their vocals for the next 1-2 rounds to strengthen their chances of surviving the daunting Top 20 cut. Naturally, this results in some questionable uptempo song choices.

Kaeyra's song choice is probably not the best one she could've made, but she's going to slay it most likely so it doesn't matter. Also, I love her being a rocker, but I'm not sure if that will be something that benefits her? I get the point that it might make her stand out more compared to all of the other girls, but I think she will benefit more if she doesn't label herself and continues to sing a variety of genres (like Leah.) If she goes far though, we better get a lot of rock-influenced performances because she sounds sickening as a rock vocalist! 

• Like 1

Oh if only I could post Malik’s rehearsal video, all of y’all saying Ain’t it Fun is gonna “send Malik home” are in for a BIG surprise!! Guess it’s a good thing the producers loved it🫢 

14 minutes ago, ttudalmid said:

Oh if only I could post Malik’s rehearsal video, all of y’all saying Ain’t it Fun is gonna “send Malik home” are in for a BIG surprise!! Guess it’s a good thing the producers loved it🫢 

The problem is that he hasn't really been shown at all prior to the showstoppers, and so the others have better chances due to being shown much more