♫ ♪ 𝗚𝗿𝗮𝗰𝗲 𝗪𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗙𝗮𝗻 𝗧𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱 ♪ ♫

RTV

Just now, TeamAudra said:

I didn’t remember it, but according to Wikipedia, she got an iTunes bonus. 

Many people say this was one of her best performances. I prefer Grace's short version over hers tho. :stealth:

But of course it's subjective. I just wasn't a fan of her (But I liked I Hope You Dance and Cowboy Take Me Away).

1 minute ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Many people say this was one of her best performances. I prefer Grace's short version over hers tho. :stealth:

But of course it's subjective. I just wasn't a fan of her (But I liked I Hope You Dance and Cowboy Take Me Away).

This probably isn’t the time or place, but I agree with you 100%, and I don’t even think it’s subjective. It’s not even close. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

There are so many good songs on her TikTok that could work on the show. I keep going back to this one. Has this been covered on the show before? It’s almost as though it was written for her. 

Stunning! I kinda hear a little lauren duski in her

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

This probably isn’t the time or place, but I agree with you 100%, and I don’t even think it’s subjective. It’s not even close. 

I agree, but I used the word subjective because a couple of people on this Fan List are Emily stans, and I didn't want to offend them. lol

Anyways, waiting for spoilers to drop. Hoping she made it!

19 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

I agree, but I used the word subjective because a couple of people on this Fan List are Emily stans, and I didn't want to offend them. lol

Anyways, waiting for spoilers to drop. Hoping she made it!

I don’t want to offend them either, but I have enjoyed some of her original music since the show. 

• Like 1

I might be the only one who is curious about Grace's name change and genre, but here are some observations and guesses until we learn more.

Grace said her trips to Nashville to write, record songs, and perform began when she was about 12 and became more frequent over the next five years.

In an interview dated 09/17/20, Grace said she didn't really have "a set genre yet" but was still exploring to find what she "truly loves" genre-wise.

Grace said "I don't know if I want a genre" and labeled herself "artist" in the podcast interview dated 07/19/21. The interview actually happened prior to that date. We infer from the conversation that it was during Grace's senior year before Love Yourself was released on 11/27/20.

A picture posted 06/15/21 on social media shows Grace in her cap and gown and says: #covidgraduation, class of 2021, and "2 more weeks until the move to nashville!!"

Grace posted that her last show in Michigan was on 06/27/21.

Grace presumably relocated to Nashville in July 2021, because she posted on 07/18/22 that it had been one year since she moved to "chase a dream."

She was still going by Grace Rembinski for a songwriter's showcase on 10/22/21 and a Porchlight Pickers event at The Local on 11/04/21.

Her 11/27/21 post includes these hashtags: #singer, #songwriter, #musician. Beginning with her post on 12/09/21, Grace sometimes added #country and #countrymusic. She used #countrymusician on a 12/14/21 post.

A Facebook post on 05/19/22 for a 10/01/22 Jackson Backyard BBQ event is the first promotional material I found with the stage name Grace West.

TeamAudra pointed out that Grace's social media bios label her as a singer-songwriter and musician but don't mention country. Her Twitter account has "northern raised, southern living." However, her Facebook Intro says, "Hi! I am a country singer/songwriter in Nashville, Tennessee" and her TikTok bio is "classic country enthusiast."

Grace has helped write some country songs, and most of her TikTok covers could be considered country. As a resident of The Birthplace of Country Music for the past 18 months, I'm sure she's met several country musicians. While standing in front of Grand Ole Opry for a 05/14/22 TikTok video, Grace said: "One day. One day." In a 07/17/22 video, she modeled red cowgirl boots for an Opry night out with her mother and aunt. Maybe Grace decided late in 2021 or early last year to pursue a country music career. If that's the case, I hope she informs fans of her plans and stays in the country lane on The Voice.

Potential reasons for choosing West as her stage name besides the fact that it's short and easy to remember:

Nashville is slightly west of Canton and Detroit.

In the United States, the West has sometimes symbolized freedom, opportunity, and a new start.

assuming Grace wants to be a country artist:
West could cause people to think of country and western music.
Dottie West (1932-1991) was the first woman in country music to receive a Grammy, and the songwriter was friends with Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn. Dottie's daughter Shelly West (born 05/23/58) also became a country music singer.

without defining a musical genre: 
Lizzie West (born 07/21/73) is a singer/songwriter whose music blends country, folk, blues, pop, and rock.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

^

Female country singers don’t want to be boxed in, because of how shitty they’re treated by country radio, and Rembinski is hard to remember. You’re welcome. :haha:

Those are both true, but picking West still intrigues me. Maybe someone will ask Grace about it. I'm glad she chose a normal name format that won't distort Google Trends like bodie did last season, though.

3 minutes ago, RTV said:

Those are both true, but picking West still intrigues me. Maybe someone will ask Grace about it. I'm glad she chose a normal name format that won't distort Google Trends like bodie did last season, though.

Honestly, I can’t even remember how her last name is spelled without looking at it. No problem at all with “West” though. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

But I will say this…if Blake is her coach, and thinks she can go the distance, he will keep her in the country lane. I mean…look at her TikTok account. It’s about as country as it gets. 

I hope so.

I've often wondered if the coaches research their team members. Younger coaches like Camila and Ariana might, but I doubt Blake does. It's a safe bet that they don't spend as much time as we do on our favorites. :giggle:

Regardless, Blake typically lets experienced contestants who have a vision (like bodie) do their thing. So it helps for those contestants to be familiar with The Voice if they really want to win. Maybe Grace is one of those teens who grew up watching the show with her parents.

Edited by RTV

12 minutes ago, RTV said:

I hope so.

I've often wondered if the coaches research their team members. Younger coaches like Camila and Ariana might, but I doubt Blake does. It's a safe bet that they don't spend as much time as we do on our favorites. :giggle:

Regardless, Blake typically lets experienced contestants who have a vision (like bodie) do their thing. So it helps for those contestants to be familiar with The Voice if they really want to win. Maybe Grace is one of those teens who grew up watching the show with her parents.

Blake may not research his contestants, but he’s heard her sing twice (assuming she’s on his team, of course :P), and he knows what the audience likes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nytsch said:

Oh wow, love that song. It's got a folky vibe too so that type of song makes sense even if she's mainly country.

The thing is, that video is a few years old, and she used to sing a lot of different genres. Maybe she still does, but the covers she posts online have been country for a long time, with the exception of an occasional James Taylor. I actually don’t mind seeing a little genre versatility, but maybe not too much on The Voice for a country singer. “Fire & Rain” would probably be safe.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

The thing is, that video is a few years old, and she used to sing a lot of different genres. Maybe she still does, but the covers she posts online have been country for a long time, with the exception of an occasional James Taylor. I actually don’t mind seeing a little genre versatility, but maybe not too much on The Voice for a country singer. “Fire & Rain” would probably be safe.  

Yes, I think a James Taylor cover would be safe. The audience seemed to like him fine as the season 18 knockouts mega-mentor.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RTV said:

Yes, I think a James Taylor cover would be safe. The audience seemed to like him fine as the season 18 knockouts mega-mentor.

My opinion is that if you’re going on the show as a country singer, you have to appeal to that demographic every week, even though we think it might be cool for them to switch it here and there. Whenever a country singer does that, there will be numerous comments, “love her voice, but not the song.” There are exceptions to the rule, like the Eagles, and probably the James Taylor song. I guess it also depends on what they hope to get out of the show. I just know Blake is a firm believer in staying as true to the genre as possible, at least with his country contenders. Lauren went on the show with plans of flipping a bunch of songs, and he wasn’t having it. 

And if a country singer is good enough, they’ll still get the crossover votes. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

Grace’s recent social media makes it pretty clear she sees herself in the country lane. If she’s trying to build a career, contacts, and a fan base being true to the artist she wants to be after the show is her best bet.

Country is also friendlier to girls now than it was a few years ago, and there are more ways to break out then radio 

• Like 3